Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another safety option

People seem to think that there is no way that we go into the season with Howell as one of our starting safeties. Although that very well may be what happens, Ed Reed is probably our best option that wouldn't require a trade. We could sign him to just a one or two year deal until we can draft someone to be the Betheas permanent replacement. Thoughts?

He had 3 INTs and 22 tackles in 7 games with the Jets. I was just offering what could be a one year solution because all anyone on this forum does is complain again and again that we didn't get a safety in the draft. Some of you guys act like we can get a great starting safety in round 6, when really they probably wouldn't even make the team, especially not over Ed Reed, even if he is 35 and his play declining. And everyone acts like some of these undrafted free agents are huge upgrades over Howell, but there's a reason they went undrafted and it's because they're not very good. I'm rooting for the UDFAs and I hope they are the solution but the reality is they're probably not. 

Sergio Brown has said that he would like a chance to compete for the safety position. He has been terrific on Special Teams, is obviously a great athlete and I believe played safety his last 2 years at Notre Dame. Maybe he could be a starter or a backup in case of injury. Of our free agent signees only one is listed as "safety".

Sergio Brown has said that he would like a chance to compete for the safety position. He has been terrific on Special Teams, is obviously a great athlete and I believe played safety his last 2 years at Notre Dame. Maybe he could be a starter or a backup in case of injury. Of our free agent signees only one is listed as "safety".

He is great...on special teams. But I recall him blowing a coverage against the Titans in Luck's rookie season that robbed Luck of another 4th quarter comeback and led to an "L". Unfortunately that is what comes to mind when I think of him on defense.

He is great...on special teams. But I recall him blowing a coverage against the Titans in Luck's rookie season that robbed Luck of another 4th quarter comeback and led to an "L". Unfortunately that is what comes to mind when I think of him on defense.

luck is 4-0 vs the titans

Jags.

He was pretty bad at Notre Dame. 

I was wondering, why does Landry start at FS, and whoever else, Howell, FA, whatever, start at SS, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Doesn't really make a difference. Both are interchangeable. FS typically plays single-high, deep-zone center-fielder and SS cover the slot receivers/TE. But like I said, they both interchange periodically. 

I think you mean jaguars. We've never lost to the titans in the luck era.

That was Josh Gordy against the Jags.

People seem to think that there is no way that we go into the season with Howell as one of our starting safeties. Although that very well may be what happens, Ed Reed is probably our best option that wouldn't require a trade. We could sign him to just a one or two year deal until we can draft someone to be the Betheas permanent replacement. Thoughts?

Ed Reed would be a back up if he made the roster.

if we're going for a veteran depth safety i'd like to get mike adams over ed reed

Mike Adams is who I'd like to see come in to if anyone he could rotate on passing downs but Howell is our starting S and I think he will be a fine one at that, I am more concerned about our depth at CB

Why are people so keen on bringing in guys who are closer to 40 then they are 30.. If we went after a safety it better be for a guy who is a immediate starter

At this point the only players with starting experience left on the market are "ringers" who are well into their 30's.  

I think we should consider bringing in a ringer on a 1 year deal until we can get a long term answer there.

Maybe we could trade Hugh Thornton to the Steelers for Shamarko Thomas?

The Steelers signed Mike Mitchell to a nice sized deal in the offseason, and the Steelers could use some o-line help

I actually like Delano Howell though. I am fine with him as the starter. Shamarko would be nice competition and depth

I think he will too. But I was just offering a solution for all those people acting like having Howell start will automatically make us the 32nd ranked defense.

I see you are a new member and probably are not familiar with this board. Let me just say this , people have been tarred and feathered for less than this bad thread.

Delano Howell is going to start guys.

Most everyone already knows... But he got injured last year. And hate to say it but if were being honest he probably will miss a few games this year also.. Same as Landry

I'm just really worried about our injury prone defenseive secondary... Toler, Landry, Howell (injured last year not sure if he is "prone" yet)

In a normal scenario:

Toler probably won't play for 1/4 or more of the season.

Landry will miss anywhere from 2-5 games

Howell might miss the same games as Landry and we are put in and absolutely awful posisition.

Were gonna need something if injuries do occur