Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another safety option

I'm just really worried about our injury prone defenseive secondary... Toler, Landry, Howell (injured last year not sure if he is "prone" yet)

In a normal scenario:

Toler probably won't play for 1/4 or more of the season.

Landry will miss anywhere from 2-5 games

Howell might miss the same games as Landry and we are put in and absolutely awful posisition.

Were gonna need something if injuries do occur

I agree, I think we're doing okay if everyone stays healthy for the whole, but how often does that really happen? We've got McDonald and Purifoy as UDFAs but I'd feel more comfortable if we had someone who was less of a project (more experienced) in our secondary backing up.

I agree, I think we're doing okay if everyone stays healthy for the whole, but how often does that really happen? We've got McDonald and Purifoy as UDFAs but I'd feel more comfortable if we had someone who was less of a project (more experienced) in our secondary backing up.

We do, Corey Lynch.  He has started, and backed up. Under 30.  Ball Hawk.  I think he'll surprise in camp. We didn't get him on the roster until Nov. 26th last year.

We need to look at the Redskins for a potential pick up. They have Ryan Clark, Brandon Merriwather, Tanard Jackson, Phillip Thomas and Bacari Rambo.

Hopefully they cut Tanard Jackson and we give him a go.

I think they did release Tanard Jackson a week or so ago, right after he got re-instated I think its been 2 years since he's played hasn't it? From what I remember he had a couple good seasons his first few years in the league. He's just been in a lot of trouble.

We need to look at the Redskins for a potential pick up. They have Ryan Clark, Brandon Merriwather, Tanard Jackson, Phillip Thomas and Bacari Rambo.

You should always try to sign or trade for someone named Rambo. A Rambo/Norris safety tandem would be nice

A guy who was out of the league last year for potentially weird reasons but was still playing at a high level is Kerry Rhodes. The Cardinals released him after PFF rated him as the 4th best safety in the league. He was released due to his contract status being a bit high. It is suspected he was out of the league due to rumors that he is gay (due to pictures of him and another man being physically close, occasionally shirtless together), though he says it is due to his interest in acting and the lack of money and opportunity offered to him.

If he'd come in for a reasonable, short term deal (he is 31 and his replacement would need to be found sooner than later), I think it would be worthwhile.

I am fine sitting still at the other safety spot, but I think Rhodes is (potentially) one of the better options if they go that way.

I wonder if they would be interested in trading one of their safeties that they don't need for Lavon Brazil straight up?  Do they need any WR depth?