Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Official "I Loved The 2014 Colts Draft" Thread

Adonai

Our biggest need last year and this was Offensive Line and between last season's signings & draft and this year's draft, we have really improved and created some competition.

And we have upgraded the Dline, LB & WR corps' as well.

I know many of us were thinking that Safety was a need - and maybe it still is - but I absolutely love this draft. And am excited about this upcoming season.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know potential is the key word, but I do love the potential of this draft.   I wanted O-Linemen and we got them.  Got a real thumper at ILB and hopefully another pass rusher at OLB.   And a wide receiver, who if he does attach himself to Wayne, could be really good.  I know some will say we didn't get a safety.  My guess is we will get a few UDFA safties.

Its not a sexy draft, but you can clearly see they realized Andrew is getting hit to often. For that at least I can get behind it.

Looks like they touched on every level and will deal with the secondary in udfa.

It's an interesting draft.  I like that they addressed the Offensive Line but prefered some other names. I'm shocked they didn't draft a CB or Safety. Toler isn't going to play more than 50% of the games and we don't have much quality depth at the Safety position. This is gonna be either one of the worst drafts in Colts history or one of the most surprising ;-)

Exactly...  

Sexy drafts are QB, rush ends, WR's, and RB's...  

Everyone on this board needs to realize what this teams "weak" spots are...    Interior line, and run stopping up the GUT.

Indy has addressed these issues.

Its not a sexy draft, but you can clearly see they realized Andrew is getting hit to often. For that at least I can get behind it.

Looks like they touched on every level and will deal with the secondary in udfa.

I think the Colts drafted 2 starters ...   JM at G or C, and AJ at ILB. 

If that happens with NO first round pick...   this draft was HOME RUN.

Andrew Jackson may be our biggest hitter in the middle since Clint Session.  This guy hits you...you go backwards...I love him!

The flexibility of the OL selections is intriguing, as is the ability of Monkrief to separate.

I did not know much about Robert Mathis when we got him...Newsome?

My only problem with this draft is we could have gotten Newsome later....and Urlich as a UFA...Just my opinion.

I think the Colts drafted 2 starters ...   JM at G or C, and AJ at ILB. 

If that happens with NO first round pick...   this draft was HOME RUN.

You really think Andrew Jackson is going to be a starter over Freeman and Dqwell at ILB?

Draft was very solid.

I laugh at all the armchair GMs/scouts screaming "omg, we didn't get a safety or cornerback. Horrible draft from Grigson".

Funny how ESPN and a $7 draft magazine make everyone an expert. My favorite is those who've seen 2 or 3 clips or maybe one game and think they know the player.

Had Grigs drafted a CB or S it would have been the WRONG one.

Just saying...    it's the nature of this board.

Draft was very solid. 

I laugh at all the armchair GMs/scouts screaming "omg, we didn't get a safety or cornerback. Horrible draft from Grigson".

The lack of addressing our secondary could be our downfall this year. 

I think the staff is fine with Howell. I think he will do fine, and will develop nicely. Would I have liked some depth? Yes. I'm not sure about the LB pick. With Jackson, Freeman, McNary, and Sheppard there, it seemed like a luxury pick. If they felt he was the BPA, I'm fine with it.

I do....

AJ is stud, DQ is a very good LB...  but make A LOT of tackles down field.   

I would like to see Freeman get a shot at OLB.

Bottom line....      this D needs to TACKLE the ball.    AJ does it.

You really think Andrew Jackson is going to be a starter over Freeman and Dqwell at ILB?

Our biggest need last year and this was Offensive Line and between last season's signings & draft and this year's draft, we have really improved and created some competition.

And we have upgraded the Dline, LB & WR corps' as well.

I know many of us were thinking that Safety was a need - and maybe it still is - but I absolutely love this draft. And am excited about this upcoming season.

I'm out of likes, so consider your post 'liked'. A few others too.

Yes, we really can't judge a draft for a few years, but I like the approach.

We'll get some UDFAs and veteran safeties, I have no doubt.

Like others have said, we need to protect the franchise. And we need to stop the run. Our last game showed that lacking well enough.

Andrew Jackson may be our biggest hitter in the middle since Clint Session. This guy hits you...you go backwards...I love him!

The flexibility of the OL selections is intriguing, as is the ability of Monkrief to separate.

I did not know much about Robert Mathis when we got him...Newsome?

My only problem with this draft is we could have gotten Newsome later....and Urlich as a UFA...Just my opinion.

IMHO, taking Urlich in the seventh round means they weren't sure they'd be able to get him as an udfa. Meaning he was (way) below the radar but maybe had other suitors.

Well, let's go back two years.  My recollection was the majority of the people on this board liked the Luck pick, 50/50 on Fleener, hated Allen, hated TY Hilton, and thought Vick Ballard was a wasted pick. Most seemed to be screaming for defensive players.

How did that draft work out?

Here's something to tell yourself:  The Colts know more then you, me, this forum, Kiper, and any draft "expert".  if you accept that, you will find peace just seeing who they draft.

I believe in the front Office, Thats the reason they get paid to do the job... I know I wouldn't want people who don't know my job to say I am doing a crap job when they don't know what they are talking about!

Eh, they don't know what they're doing. Two years, two playoff games, one playoff win. But no Superbowl?

Time to clean house.

Yes. They're on the phone already telling guys that if they don't get drafted, we're interested.

Way before that, Grigson said in his pre draft press conference that he was telling players in case you don't get drafted they would like to sign them as UDFA if they don't get drafted. He said the players were like Im going to get drafted lol

Way before that, Grigson said in his pre draft press conference that he was telling players in case you don't get drafted they would like to sign them as UDFA if they don't get drafted. He said the players were like Im going to get drafted lol

Right. They all do it. Well, maybe not SF, they drafted about 20 guys.

Anyone know how many CBs taken? Had to be a ton.

IMHO, taking Urlich in the seventh round means they weren't sure they'd be able to get him as an udfa. Meaning he was (way) below the radar but maybe had other suitors.

Regional combine must have impressed.  Just like Jack Mewhort.  Grigs LOVED him at the senior Bowl....looking for that meanness up front Le Neon. :thmup:

Very disappointed in Grigson and the scouting staff. Moncrief was the only great pick and Jackson was good in the 6th, i thought it was a lot of defensive players available when we drafted Mewhort. We didn't even address the team biggest needs with S and CB, this is by far the worst draft that i have seen. No impact players or playmakers, not even a RB with the failed Trent trade.

Very solid draft

We get a potential new starter on OL

A big fast receiver for the future

An ILB that can actually stuff a RB

I like those 3 picks!

We will need to get a safety as depth and possibly another CB...and a NT for depth

But we are ready to go

There will be some last cuts of others teams that will come available and fill these three holes

But it is depth and not starters needed

Here's something to tell yourself:  The Colts know more then you, me, this forum, Kiper, and any draft "expert".  if you accept that, you will find peace just seeing who they draft.

LOL that's NOT going to happen.

Very disappointed in Grigson and the scouting staff. Moncrief was the only great pick and Jackson was good in the 6th, i thought it was a lot of defensive players available when we drafted Mewhort. We didn't even address the team biggest needs with S and CB, this is by far the worst draft that i have seen. No impact players or playmakers, not even a RB with the failed Trent trade.

You really think RB was a need in the draft?  We have Richardson, Ballard, Bradshaw, Rainey and Herron.  We really need another back?  No we didn't draft any safties butwe already signed one as an udfa.