Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson and his picks what do you think in 3 rounds ( counting richardson as our 1st

CS Colts Fan

I think both are solid picks, mewhorts versatility is huge bonus and gives us depth, will be interested to see if they give him any snaps at Centre during camp. It annoys me how people get annoyed as they think the draft should fix every short term issue the team has, Moncrieff is a long term solution, who knows how much Reggie has left in him and Nicks could be playing for someone else next year anyway, at which point we bring Moncrieff into the starting line up (along with Rogers as well hopefully) who will have a least some pro experience by then, allowing us to address other positions in the draft next year!

Well, I think Mewhort fills a need and Moncrief is great value where he was taken, so I'm unsurprised to log on here and see people complaining about how Mewhort wasn't great value and Moncrief doesn't fit a need.

We at the very least add WR Nicks and TE Allen on a team that had no trouble scoring our problem was getting off the field running the ball and protecting our QB he didn't take sacks cause he is strong as an ox but he took more hits than like 3 other QB's I just think the WR was about as dumb as it could get might as well taken another TE at least he can help block

So you really think the Colts WRs do not need to be covered? Luck needs no WRs I suppose. We have 1 starting WR at this point but I guess we don't need no more. Wayne is getting old and we really have no clue if he will play the same. Wayne can say all the right things but that don't over ride father time. Nicks has not proven anything at this point. Most WRs take a couple of years to develop but what do I know?  

Not gonna lie, I would've liked to have seen Nix or Gabe Jackson with the 2nd pick. Now we have to deal with Clowney, Watt and Nix for the next several years. I don't like that. We acquired some depth at o-line and grabbed another receiver to sit on the bench while we line up in power-I all game. I don't understand that pick. I get that Moncreif has talent, but why are we splurging on receivers when we still don't have starters at some positions on defense?

I like the picks alot.

Interior OL was atrocious last year, and we addressed it with a guy that is described as having a "mean streak", "breathes fire" and recognizes "alerts and stunts".

Reggie Wayne is 35 years old coming off a major injury and we find a 6'3" 220 LB WR that runs a 4.40 in the third round?

To be honest, I would question why anyone wouldn't like these picks.

The ones who want to be negative are the ones who whine and cry about everything Grigson and Pagano does. It's like they want to nit pick every move. I have faith in what Grigson does and will not be all negative when he has proven he knows what he is doing. I can imagine how bad it will be when one of Grigsons players ends up being a total bust. The doubters will be ready to fire, kill, tar and feather and then send him packing. They act like being a GM is an easy job and everything has to be 100% or its no good. I guess the haters are so well at doing their jobs they never make a mistake or have the total praise of their coworkers and bosses. We all know this is a perfect world and nothing but pro bowl players and future hall of famers will be found at every pick.

So you really think the Colts WRs do not need to be covered? Luck needs no WRs I suppose. We have 1 starting WR at this point but I guess we don't need no more. Wayne is getting old and we really have no clue if he will play the same. Wayne can say all the right things but that don't over ride father time. Nicks has not proven anything at this point. Most WRs take a couple of years to develop but what do I know?

If Nicks wasn't supposed to be the answer at wide receiver, we shouldn't even have signed him. I get wanting insurance for Reggie, but it's not like we don't have weapons outside of him. We did win a playoff game without him last year. The Moncreif pick was overkill. Especially for a team that likely won't employ many 4 receiver sets unless playing from behind

The way I see it - a lot of SMART football guys spent weeks in a room studying every nuance of every player in the draft. No matter how good of an analyst you are - there is always the hit and miss factor, going back to Polian and beyond. Even Bellicheck, who I respect a lot as a football man - chooses players that don't work out.

Look at the music biz and their shining star Clive Davis - he hits it out of the park an average of 1 out of 20 times at best. Happily, the home runs manage to cover the losses in his game.

The work of the entire Colts staff, not just Grigs - is tireless and relentless and they look at things the average fan may or may not consider. Everything is under a microscope - plus in most cases they get a direct feel for the player by meeting him and spending time with them.

I am intrigued with both picks. I think with our injuries last year, having a guy on the OL like Mewhort that can step in pretty much anywhere is a huge plus. I have to think - due to his leadership skills - they are also interested in his competing for starting center. Center is one of your key positions and calling out protections is fraught with responsibility. GOOD centers have well developed football IQ. According to all reports, he does and it is something that you can't necessarily teach.

I probably would not have opted for another receiver - but with our track record of injuries - you can never have enough receivers. Hard to keep receivers from getting banged up. Also, wide receiver is one of the toughest challenges for any player coming out of college. You suddenly are up against prime defenders who know how to stop you in the pros, so you need to re-learn the game. Route running, getting to know the quarterback's quirks and mannerisms, learning an awesome and FAT playbook - it takes time and it will take Moncrief time to get with Reggie and learn the subtleties of the position. Hopefully we can groom him over the course of the year slowly so that he can be a big asset and quite possibly a "secret weapon" in the playoffs.

But for me the biggest issue is this: The book is already pretty much written - but we only have access to the first two chapters. Let's wait and see what else the staff has up their sleeves - let's see the big picture and how the next three picks go - so we can truly, objectively analyze their entire strategy - not just a small part of it.

So far, I am favorably impressed.

ColtsHappy 

If Nicks wasn't supposed to be the answer at wide receiver, we shouldn't even have signed him. I get wanting insurance for Reggie, but it's not like we don't have weapons outside of him. We did win a playoff game without him last year. The Moncreif pick was overkill. Especially for a team that likely won't employ many 4 receiver sets unless playing from behind

You realize that they will play football in 2015 too right? Not that hard to figure really - outsie of Hilton they have a bunch of question marks. Age, injury, marginal talent - preparing for future without Wayne is not so bad an idea.

You realize that they will play football in 2015 too right? Not that hard to figure really - outsie of Hilton they have a bunch of question marks. Age, injury, marginal talent - preparing for future without Wayne is not so bad an idea.

Our whole team outside of QB is one big question mark. I'd say after QB, with the addition of Nicks, receiver is our most solid unit (especially if you count Fleener and Allen as receiving threats), hands down. Where's the insurance for cornerback, NT, C, Safety and outside linebacker?... Oh that's right, we need another receiver, even though we'll spend a good portion of our games pounding the ball with 6 linemen and a fullback. Brilliant

I'm not liking the draft thus far.  Picking a WR, even one as talented as Moncrief, kinda baffled me because of our glaring needs in the defensive backfield. Depth pick, possible replacement for Reggie; though we already have Rogers, Brazill and Whalen as depth.

From the looks of it as of now, they believe Delano can be a starter, which he didn't do too shabby when he was out there last season. Still cornerback is a worry of mine, because who knows if Greg Toler will stay healthy.

Since we have to count Richardson as our first round pick, the grade is B-/C+ range.  Mewhort is exactly what the Colts need.  A versatile lineman that makes the interior line stronger and can fill in at multiple positions when the injuries start piling up again.  Moncrief offers great value in the late third round.  Reggie's at an age where he'd be about to slow down even without coming back from an ACL injury.  Nicks signed with us for cheap because playing with a QB like Luck gives him the best chance to put up good numbers and get his $ next year.  Receivers take longer to develop so I love this pick.  Hopefully he can learn to catch with his hands instead of his body.  He does that and we have our #1 for the next 10 years.

I think people are overreacting a bit.  Our pass defense was 13th in the league and our passing offense was only 17th.  So by everyone's logic we did the right thing by addressing our greater weakness.  I feel like there is a lot of depth available in the draft at the CB and G position, and we should be addressing that today.  

Antoine Bethea was a great player for several years for us, but didnt fit with this defense and Landry this year, we have already improved by going with Howell, and we should be able to find depth and competition for him through draft/UDFA/FA before the season starts.

Today will be about depth and competition, and I wouldnt be surprised to see any position selected.

I'll be honest and say neither pick has excited me nor would have been the player I would have wanted us to go for in that spot. But then it was always going to be a tough draft to watch with so much talent and no 1st rounder.. especially with some of the trades that went down. 

Still you shouldn't judge until they've played a snap, if the OL is suddenly a more solid unit and Moncrief finally fills that gap we've tried with a few to fill (DHB!) and is a good "#1" going forward then revisionism will show this to be a stellar draft made in the adversity of having few picks. 

Hoping for some late pick magic today, please pick a DB of some sort! 

Okay, just posing this as a question. There are some here that say we need to give these picks a chance and there are some that say they were horrible?  Does anyone feel they were good or great picks and if not doesn't that say something about them?

so what do you guys think/ feel ?

me I'm loosing Faith in Grigs... ..

I know we have been in the playiffs  2 years in a row with 11 wins both years... but I can't seem to follow his picks....

Melwort won't be a starter from day 1 and was overdrafted...IMO 

there where starting Offensive players availanle at our pick that could have started Gabe Jackson, Marcus Martin, Trai Turner, Dakoda Dozier to name a few...

I know I'm not a scout... but Luck has been Hit way Too much to continue to Draft potential starters ... instead of imediate starters

Moncrief good receiver , but we have more viable needs !

They must believe Delano Howell is are starter...  ???

They must think we are OK @ NT to walk away from Nix... ???

I could go on and on... just not happy with our first 2/3 "Limited" Picks ...

my initial instant grade D+/C- ... let me sleep on it and come back this weekend..

PS Pagano is  Defensive Coach and we drafted majority what in 3 years... and we were ranked what for our deefense last year ?

I welcome your thoughts/replies

My frustration as a fan is that we haven't adequately addressed the O-line in the draft (or in FA).  The Texans are building a monster Defensive line, in my opinion, as a response to Andrew Luck.  We do not seem to have as much of an interest in solidifying our O-line.  

Mewhort, meh, maybe he'll be ok but he seems like a backup to me wherever they put him, guard or tackle.  What we have right now in the C and RG positions seem like backups or unknowns.  This would also assume that Donald Thomas is good to go on day one.

I like the WR pick but I think our needs are more along the lines of Defense, especially safety, when we aren't addressing the O-line.

I think everyone is being a little too critical.  Obviously the Colts do their homework and think Mewhort brings something the others did not.

I really think think the Colts hit areas of need and am happy with the picks  :thmup:  .

It sounds like everyone is kinda forgetting how many drives were killed last year because of our WR's .  DHB dropping balls, Whalen not able to get open and causing Luck to hold the ball.  TY getting bracketed, fans were screaming for Rodgers or anyone else at WR.  Now the Colts try to fix this problem with Nicks immediate help and Moncrief to give depth should the same thing happened as last year and fans on here are upset?  

Props to Grigs and Pagano for atleast making this Colts :blueshoe:  fan feel better that should we get some injuries on offense Andrew will still have a chance to make some plays.

Richardson is the only RB to represent a top 50 pick in this year's draft. Not a good use of our first rounder. I think we all know that.

I think Mewhort and Moncrief will be solid additions. I'm not ready to grade the draft until I see what we do today, but no complaints about our second and third round selections.

Okay, just posing this as a question. There are some here that say we need to give these picks a chance and there are some that say they were horrible?  Does anyone feel they were good or great picks and if not doesn't that say something about them?

These are not the picks I would have made. But I like the players a whole lot. Mewhort is a very good guard prospect.

I've been nitpicking Moncrief because of his body catching, but there's no denying his talent and ability, which rivals guys like Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, etc. And if there's a player in the league he would benefit from playing with, studying alongside, practicing with, it's Reggie Wayne. His potential is through the roof, and he's in a great situation to realize his potential.

So I'll stop short of calling them "great" picks. Good picks? Yeah, no question.

Especially for a team that likely won't employ many 4 receiver sets unless playing from behind

In Pep's offense that's 90% of the time.  We need all the receivers we can get for the inevitable, crazy 14-28 point comebacks. 

Oh that's right, we need another receiver, even though we'll spend a good portion of our games pounding the ball with 6 linemen and a fullback. Brilliant

In all seriousness, I pray what we saw in the final four games is the blueprint for 2014, and considering we start with Denver and Philly, it almost has to be. 

We won't win awards on the TV analysis shows.  But we addressed some areas that are not onlyin the present, but near future needs as well.  Time for some help on the back end of the D, though.

If Mewhort is gong to play guard, he could bulk up a touch more, IMO.

So you really think the Colts WRs do not need to be covered? Luck needs no WRs I suppose. We have 1 starting WR at this point but I guess we don't need no more. Wayne is getting old and we really have no clue if he will play the same. Wayne can say all the right things but that don't over ride father time. Nicks has not proven anything at this point. Most WRs take a couple of years to develop but what do I know?  

You are right it was a good pick it was heat of the moment reaction on my part I just saw those CB's sitting there and wanted one. Montcief was a great pick where we got him. WR's usually break out 3rd yr

These are not the picks I would have made. But I like the players a whole lot. Mewhort is a very good guard prospect.

I've been nitpicking Moncrief because of his body catching, but there's no denying his talent and ability, which rivals guys like Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, etc. And if there's a player in the league he would benefit from playing with, studying alongside, practicing with, it's Reggie Wayne. His potential is through the roof, and he's in a great situation to realize his potential.

So I'll stop short of calling them "great" picks. Good picks? Yeah, no question.

Always have to keep in mind the Colts position coaches will teach and work with them. Being around other pros will also help with the work ethics.

so what do you guys think/ feel ?

me I'm loosing Faith in Grigs... ..

I know we have been in the playiffs  2 years in a row with 11 wins both years... but I can't seem to follow his picks....

Melwort won't be a starter from day 1 and was overdrafted...IMO 

there where starting Offensive players availanle at our pick that could have started Gabe Jackson, Marcus Martin, Trai Turner, Dakoda Dozier to name a few...

I know I'm not a scout... but Luck has been Hit way Too much to continue to Draft potential starters ... instead of imediate starters

Moncrief good receiver , but we have more viable needs !

They must believe Delano Howell is are starter...  ???

They must think we are OK @ NT to walk away from Nix... ???

I could go on and on... just not happy with our first 2/3 "Limited" Picks ...

my initial instant grade D+/C- ... let me sleep on it and come back this weekend..

PS Pagano is  Defensive Coach and we drafted majority what in 3 years... and we were ranked what for our deefense last year ?

I welcome your thoughts/replies

I am losing faith in my ability to read, or maybe it is your spelling?

The push guys you speak of should be there with RJF, M Hughes, and Redding.

A Jones gets a little movement and will help create coverage sacks. Mewhort > Link with an upside!

I didnt see a whole lot of it with them last year. I saw alot of our pressure coming from Mathis and Redding. Not alot oof Interior push though. But I didnt waych every game and every snap so I could have missed some things. Im excited about Jones though. I think hes definitely gonna help cause some disruption.