Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson and his picks what do you think in 3 rounds ( counting richardson as our 1st

CS Colts Fan

so what do you guys think/ feel ?

me I'm loosing Faith in Grigs... ..

I know we have been in the playiffs  2 years in a row with 11 wins both years... but I can't seem to follow his picks....

Melwort won't be a starter from day 1 and was overdrafted...IMO 

there where starting Offensive players availanle at our pick that could have started Gabe Jackson, Marcus Martin, Trai Turner, Dakoda Dozier to name a few...

I know I'm not a scout... but Luck has been Hit way Too much to continue to Draft potential starters ... instead of imediate starters

Moncrief good receiver , but we have more viable needs !

They must believe Delano Howell is are starter...  ???

They must think we are OK @ NT to walk away from Nix... ???

I could go on and on... just not happy with our first 2/3 "Limited" Picks ...

my initial instant grade D+/C- ... let me sleep on it and come back this weekend..

PS Pagano is  Defensive Coach and we drafted majority what in 3 years... and we were ranked what for our deefense last year ?

I welcome your thoughts/replies

I like the picks alot.

Interior OL was atrocious last year, and we addressed it with a guy that is described as having a "mean streak", "breathes fire" and recognizes "alerts and stunts".

Reggie Wayne is 35 years old coming off a major injury and we find a 6'3" 220 LB WR that runs a 4.40 in the third round?

To be honest, I would question why anyone wouldn't like these picks.

I feel the same way but I am a little happy of who we got not necessarily the position Mewhort was great for my buckeyes like him a lot and I was one of the most strongest against going for a wr but I said many times Moncrief was the only WR I liked I'm just surprised he was even there at 90 and with brooks gone no safety worth drafting at 90

I think Grigson reached for Mewhort, don't like the pick. Brooks and Nix were better players and at a position of need. I do like Moncrief in the 3rd, great value. We can't count on Nicks and Wayne to stay healthy all season. Now, in the 5th i want Ed Reynolds or Dontae Johnson.

I love Moncrief, but I'm really worried about our safety situation. I hope we can get Huff, Vereen, or Johnson in the 5th now, but we would probably have to trade up into the 4th. I wasn't too high on Mewhort at first, but I'm going to trust Grigs with this one. Maybe he can develop into a solid guard or center.

I like Mewhort fits a need helps get the O Line on track would have preferred Gabe Jackson and a trade back but I am good with Mewhort.

Montcrief with no 4th I just think we should have taken BPA that could be a play now player Montcrief to me is not a play now player that is what Grigs said he was doing getting play now players where is he playing. I could list 10 players I would have taken over him but I am not the GM. I just feel like at 90 we could have got someone who could have made a major contribution to the team this year I don't see how that happens with Montcrief

I don't see Montcrief as a can't miss must take player he isn't someone we could not have gotten next year I really don't get the WR pick.

I WANT THE DAMN TEAM PAGANO SAID HE WAS BRINGING ON D I DON'T SEE US GETTING CLOSER TO THAT.  I WANT AN OLINE THAT KEEPS OUR QB FROM GETTING HIT 130X AND OPENS HOLES FOR TRENT.

DONT UNDERSTAND WR AT ALL

I think Grigson reached for Mewhort, don't like the pick. Brooks and Nix were better players and at a position of need. I do like Moncrief in the 3rd, great value. We can't count on Nicks and Wayne to stay healthy all season. Now, in the 5th i want Ed Reynolds or Dontae Johnson.

I think after watching Brooks play you will be happy we didn't take him Mewhort  was not a reach he was at 62 on two draft boards a solid 2nd round pick. He can play every position on the O lIne. We have to have an O Line.

I love Moncrief, but I'm really worried about our safety situation. I hope we can get Huff, Vereen, or Johnson in the 5th now, but we would probably have to trade up into the 4th. I wasn't too high on Mewhort at first, but I'm going to trust Grigs with this one. Maybe he can develop into a solid guard or center.

The guy is about the same size/build as Castonzo and you see him as a Center. It isn`t a very good build for a guard either.

You people.... oh ya, you people said Link was ok too!

Did you know we had MILLION$ to pick up veterans for our needs? They are ALWAYS available and should be better than some late round Rookie.

Strange how different fans can see the same team and walk away with different conclusions.  The Colts only have one proven WR returning next year in TY Hilton, and he is more suited in the slot.  There is a reasonable chance Reggie can't return to his old form, and even if he does it won't be forever.  The OL taken has all the traits we want for an interior OL, and the versatility to backup the tackles.  

Counting Richardson we got the best graded RB since AP an all around O Lineman like that. I don't like a WR on a team that gave up over 80pts in 2 playoff games I would have rather gone D in the third specifically McGill Desir Watkins Breeland a CB. I really hope we can get Dowling in the 6th now

The guy is about the same size/build as Castonzo and you see him as a Center. It isn`t a very good build for a guard either.

You people.... oh ya, you people said Link was ok too!

Did you know we had MILLION$ to pick up veterans for our needs? They are ALWAYS available and should be better than some late round Rookie.

Well I don't know much about Mewhort, but on NFL.com they say some teams view him as a center.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jack-mewhort?id=2543744

I can understand the scrutiny and at first i didn't care for Mewhort but realize this:  We're constantly bickering about the o-line that he addresses it early and we don't like it.  Sure Mewhort wasn't the pick a lot of the GMs on this board wanted but Mewhort comes from the B1G.  Mewhort and Thornton were both described as maulers/nasty streak.

Moncrief will be good.  Not Calvin Johnson good but darn close given he picks Reggie's mind like he should

Strange how different fans can see the same team and walk away with different conclusions.  The Colts only have one proven WR returning next year in TY Hilton, and he is more suited in the slot.  There is a reasonable chance Reggie can't return to his old form, and even if he does it won't be forever.  The OL taken has all the traits we want for an interior OL, and the versatility to backup the tackles.  

We at the very least add WR Nicks and TE Allen on a team that had no trouble scoring our problem was getting off the field running the ball and protecting our QB he didn't take sacks cause he is strong as an ox but he took more hits than like 3 other QB's I just think the WR was about as dumb as it could get might as well taken another TE at least he can help block

I just don't see the need for a WR after signing Nicks getting Allen back I think Brazil is ready to break out personally. When Toler gets hurt we could use a CB there were 5 setting there.

Pagano promised a D I'd like him to deliver

Would like a safety in the 5th, purely just for depth purposes behind Howell and Landry. 

I'd take Exum or Dontae Johnson if either are there in the 5th then Dowling in the 6th. God I hope Dowling falls now. Or get a 4th tomorrow. I just can't believe

I like Mewhort fits a need helps get the O Line on track would have preferred Gabe Jackson and a trade back but I am good with Mewhort.

Montcrief with no 4th I just think we should have taken BPA that could be a play now player Montcrief to me is not a play now player that is what Grigs said he was doing getting play now players where is he playing. I could list 10 players I would have taken over him but I am not the GM. I just feel like at 90 we could have got someone who could have made a major contribution to the team this year I don't see how that happens with Montcrief

I don't see Montcrief as a can't miss must take player he isn't someone we could not have gotten next year I really don't get the WR pick.

I WANT THE DAMN TEAM PAGANO SAID HE WAS BRINGING ON D I DON'T SEE US GETTING CLOSER TO THAT.  I WANT AN OLINE THAT KEEPS OUR QB FROM GETTING HIT 130X AND OPENS HOLES FOR TRENT.

DONT UNDERSTAND WR AT ALL

yur head is buried deep. We dumped some serious garbage from our D.  And our O-Line.

I am surprised they didn`t have some DB they liked though.

Hopefully we won`t ever see Brazill in the regular season again anyway.

And when Luck gets TY killed we will have a deep threat to replace him, that Can Block! 

Im happy with the value on Moncrief and his potential.And Mewhort could be a starter or provide quality depth at multiple positions up front. We needed that badly. Now I want DEFENSE!!! Im still a little concerned on that end right now. Especially the secondary. Id really love to address that end. And I also wouldnt mind another DL guy that can create some push and collapse the pocket. Create more pressure.

Mewhort is actually taller than what you want for a guard and isn`t thickly built below the waste. Just like Castonzo.

Has problems with bull rushes per his profile, gee i wonder why. Maybe he becomes solid as a T/G. More likely best as a RT & emergency LT. A good team needs that guy.

We at the very least add WR Nicks and TE Allen on a team that had no trouble scoring our problem was getting off the field running the ball and protecting our QB he didn't take sacks cause he is strong as an ox but he took more hits than like 3 other QB's I just think the WR was about as dumb as it could get might as well taken another TE at least he can help block

We add Nicks who caught 0 TDs last year, and will join Reggie Wayne as a free agent next year.  This draft was deep at WR, when you can get one like Moncreif in the third you do it.  I think we need  to stop having mock drafts on these boards, people get bent out of shape when the draft makes their mock look ridiculous.

Im happy with the value on Moncrief and his potential.And Mewhort could be a starter or provide quality depth at multiple positions up front. We needed that badly. Now I want DEFENSE!!! Im still a little concerned on that end right now. Especially the secondary. Id really love to address that end. And I also wouldnt mind another DL guy that can create some push and collapse the pocket. Create more pressure.

The push guys you speak of should be there with RJF, M Hughes, and Redding.

A Jones gets a little movement and will help create coverage sacks. Mewhort > Link with an upside!

yur head is buried deep. We dumped some serious garbage from our D.  And our O-Line.

I am surprised they didn`t have some DB they liked though.

Hopefully we won`t ever see Brazill in the regular season again anyway.

And when Luck gets TY killed we will have a deep threat to replace him, that Can Block! 

I get the value with Moncrief but god there were 5 DB's sitting right there for the taking. I am cool with Memwhort think he is Bitino without all the buzz much like Patton is Archer without the buzz.

Toler just scares me to death he goes down we have a problem and it seemed to me we were in a pretty good position to get a potential starting CB.

6'2 211 4.3 40 and I am complaining right? Yeah I know.

I don't see how we've added anything in this draft, mainly because I do not see Mewhort as a starter anywhere on the O-line.

I understand why we selected Moncrief--because he is better at his position than anyone else remaining at theirs- but receiver was not a need. Also, Rogers' college numbers and play was better than Moncrief's. I don't see Moncrief as an upgrade. Sure he has potential, but so does Rogers, and personally, I think Nicks will be Wayne's replacement.

I have to agree, especially after watching game film of Mewhort. I just don't see the talent at all. He can hand fight small DE and DTs but he doesn't get physical with any defenders on run plays. He's "top heavy" and just plain underwhelming.

I just don't see the need for a WR after signing Nicks getting Allen back I think Brazil is ready to break out personally. When Toler gets hurt we could use a CB there were 5 setting there.

Pagano promised a D I'd like him to deliver

Hakeem Nicks is in the same boat Ahmad Bradshaw was when we signed him: Injuries

Reggie Wayne is coming off an ACL & no matter how much this forum loves him you have to face reality, he's not getting younger

Moncrief is competition for Rogers, Whalen, & Brazill. Nicks could easily go down again this year & Reggie may not be back to form

The pick makes sense when you realize this is the most injury riddled team ever imo

Deep defensive draft, we have a couple picks left plus the UDFA time period. Defense will get their pieces. Patience people patience

Hakeem Nicks is in the same boat Ahmad Bradshaw was when we signed him: Injuries

Reggie Wayne is coming off an ACL & no matter how much this forum loves him you have to face reality, he's not getting younger

Moncrief is competition for Rogers, Whalen, & Brazill. Nicks could easily go down again this year & Reggie may not be back to form

The pick makes sense when you realize this is the most injury riddled team ever imo

Deep defensive draft, we have a couple picks left plus the UDFA time period. Defense will get their pieces. Patience people patience

I agree just had my heart set on Gabe Jackson and a trade back so we would have a 4th. got emotional for a minute Montcrief is a steal it isn't often you will hear me complain about a 6'2'" 212 lb receiver who can run a 4.34

I agree just had my heart set on Gabe Jackson and a trade back so we would have a 4th. got emotional for a minute Montcrief is a steal it isn't often you will hear me complain about a 6'2'" 212 lb receiver who can run a 4.34

Every forum member has their heart on who Grigson should draft. The real fans are the ones who can accept that their favorite players didn't get drafted by their favorite team.

Grigson said from day 1 he does not chase big names. And to this day that statement holds true. You'd lose count trying to count on your fingers how many people Grigson has signed/drafted that had the forum pulling up Google faster than a toddler can pull a pull-up up. The man knows what/who he wants & doesn't care who doesn't like it.

My advice to everyone is sit back & just enjoy the ride

I'm certainly not upset to see us beef up our offense. I know it's not what we expected, but let's just take a moment to look at our offensive depth chart right now. Wow... excellent receiving group (seriously... like in the conversation for best group in the league), 2 great TEs, and 3 running backs who, if they can stay healthy/reach their potential, all look like starters. I think we have two solid Tackles, but the position lacks depth and what's more scary than the uncertainty of our interior line? I think Mewhort helps put us in a great spot. The guy is versatile, he's played every spot on the line. A lot of people are already calling him a back up, but I don't get it. The guy is labeled as fast learner, and back up or not, he's going to drive competition across the whole line thanks to that versatility alone. It's not a sexy pick, but it's a wise one if he is who the organization thinks he is. And adding Moncrief is just the icing on the cake. When we have a once in a 5-10 year QB like Luck, I can't complain about upping his arsenal. Keep giving the guy options and protection.

The pure optimism side of things for me moving forward is that Grigson has had a pretty good knack from finding some diamonds in the rough. Even when it comes to UDFA's, I'm pretty excited to see what he gets us in time for training camp. Lastly, in regards to all the whiners, remember that our front office isn't ESPN, NFL Network, CBS Sports, Walter Football, etc..., the FO has it's own agenda and let's not pretend that we ever really knew what it was. We had a draft board, and we picked the guy we wanted over the guy you wanted for a reason. This drama happens every year, until we stop making the playoffs and start having to draft where the rest of our division is drafting, I'm gonna give Grigson at least a little trust. And really I mean "a little" trust because these picks really aren't that hard to grasp...

Moncrief was a solid pick.  The Melwort pick became a necessity when Houston completed their head hunter core.  I just don't like our  recent history with Buckeye players (Gonzalez, Doss, and the legendary Roy Hall). I hope Grigson maneuvers back up into the 4th and grabs Bailey or Exum. Because going into next season with 2 out 5 reliable players in our nickel package isn't very reassuring.

so what do you guys think/ feel ?

me I'm loosing Faith in Grigs... ..

I know we have been in the playiffs  2 years in a row with 11 wins both years... but I can't seem to follow his picks....

Melwort won't be a starter from day 1 and was overdrafted...IMO 

there where starting Offensive players availanle at our pick that could have started Gabe Jackson, Marcus Martin, Trai Turner, Dakoda Dozier to name a few...

I know I'm not a scout... but Luck has been Hit way Too much to continue to Draft potential starters ... instead of imediate starters

Moncrief good receiver , but we have more viable needs !

They must believe Delano Howell is are starter...  ???

They must think we are OK @ NT to walk away from Nix... ???

I could go on and on... just not happy with our first 2/3 "Limited" Picks ...

my initial instant grade D+/C- ... let me sleep on it and come back this weekend..

PS Pagano is  Defensive Coach and we drafted majority what in 3 years... and we were ranked what for our deefense last year ?

I welcome your thoughts/replies

Ever since Grigson's 1st draft he has not done much except sign overrated free agents [ defense  mainly] and that trade for Richardson :scratch: I sometimes feel he is out of control and will eventually hurt us in the long run. I never liked Pagano he looks clueless its because of luck we are ahead of oueselves

It was a bit of a reach.  He was drafted as a guard coming from the OT position, but they keep throwing around "center" as well.  I just can't see him being that versatile any time soon and we need "Soon" if luck is to remain on his two feet.  There were several other first-day starters we passed up inexplicably.  I like grigson, but he's got way too many stock options in Ohio State and the big-ten.  Both picks so far are questionable for our needs as far as hitting the ground running.  Making the playoffs and getting a first round victory must be enough for now.  Grigson is biding his time with big paychecks making baby steps toward a Championship perhaps, and that may be the way to build a winner over 5 years.  It just seemed to me that Irsay had that "Win now" attitude, told Grigson as much, gave Grigson an open check-book, then toasted our draft picks, which is frustrating.  However, I DO have faith and baby steps just may be smart, but I am only going to be in agreement if we keep Luck healthy.  He is the future bed-rock of everything we are building upon.

Every forum member has their heart on who Grigson should draft. The real fans are the ones who can accept that their favorite players didn't get drafted by their favorite team.

Grigson said from day 1 he does not chase big names. And to this day that statement holds true. You'd lose count trying to count on your fingers how many people Grigson has signed/drafted that had the forum pulling up Google faster than a toddler can pull a pull-up up. The man knows what/who he wants & doesn't care who doesn't like it.

My advice to everyone is sit back & just enjoy the ride

yeah but most of the time those "big names" are downright playmakers.. Which we need. So I say to grigson put your pride down and draft some gosh darn defense now and make it somebody who can play and plays with a certain meanstreak\swagger I am done with this team constantly getting man handled and injury riddled. The time to get o-line is in free agency or in the first round IMO. So for the love of god draft a starting defensive player!!. I know we have interior o-line problems but were stuck with another year of them because I'm telling you right now mewhort is not the answer..

Really think we should of addressed either CB or Safety with one of the picks yesterday but how can I complain with Moncrief in the 3rd? It's a steal just not one we need NOW, but for the future. 

I fear the day that Toler goes down with injury again and we have no one in that #2 spot. I can foresee a trade up into the 4th for a CB/S. I wouldn't mind Brock Vereen or Dion Bailey.