Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if..

James

Let's me just say, the premise of this thread is rather negative. That might seem absurd given that we have a potential top 5 QB in Luck, a lot of promising pieces on both offense and defense and of course solid coaching staff/GM/scouts to run it all. However, as we know in the NFL anything can happen, which makes negative speculating relevant - even for the Colts. I mean, which person in here thought Houston would have the worst record last season? Honestly?

Add the fact that a lot of our games were rather close, and we were very fortunate/borderline lucky to be on the winning side.

So, what if injuries hit us hard again and we start out 2-6, 1-7 or something like that. I think we have a fairly tough schedule (expecting the NFC east to vastly improve this year, and I don't think we'll sweep the division). And I'm talking injuries to key players like Davis, Mathis, Reggie or even Luck. What does that mean? Do we try fighting through it or do we choose to tank for a playmaker in next year's draft?

Fans have a tendency to look for the next "saviour" in dark times. Like when a lot of people on this board wanted us to tank for Luck and the whole debacle before the last game against the Jags. Would you be one of those fans wanting to tank for an eventual Reggie or Mathis replacement, or would you prefer to win even though the playoffs is an unrealistic goal? And what would it mean for the GM or HC?

I don't think not winning is in coaches vocabulary. Even when the first pick was on the line the Colts won a couple of games after sitting Painter. Everyone accused the Colts of tanking but anyone who watched those games knew better.

Ok, well since this is assuming that we got destroyed by injuries, I'd assume that having a healthy team would mean we were a playoff contender? I we started off 1-8, I would obviously be rooting for us to win the rest of our games, but I couldn't say that I'd be upset if we finished like 2-14 or 3-13. To clear what I am saying is: I'd much rather the team finish 2-14 than 7-9 (assuming that we would not make the playoffs at that record) if we started off 1-8. But I wouldn't be rooting for it. 

I hate the idea of tanking. It only exists in the NBA. In the NFL there are too many variable to successfully pull it off. So no tanking is out of the question. 

But a top 5 pick in 2015 would either get us a lot of picks via a trade, or an elite prospect at edge rusher or WR like Randy Gregory or Amari Cooper respectively. 

I don't see us ever being that bad with Andrew under center & Grigson as the GM

2 years into a "rebuild" & we're 22-10.

I don't ever see a bad season in this regime

It's like the Peyton years, you can guarantee we'll win 10+ games every year regardless the opposition

That's just my opinion though

:colts:

#InGrigsonWeTrust

Ok, well since this is assuming that we got destroyed by injuries, I'd assume that having a healthy team would mean we were a playoff contender? I we started off 1-8, I would obviously be rooting for us to win the rest of our games, but I couldn't say that I'd be upset if we finished like 2-14 or 3-13. To clear what I am saying up, I'd much rather the team finish 2-14 than 7-9 (assuming that we would not make the playoffs at that record) if we started off 1-8. But I wouldn't be rooting for it.

I hate the idea of tanking. It only exists in the NBA. In the NFL there are too many variable to successfully pull it off. So no tanking is out of the question.

But a top 5 pick in 2015 would either get us a lot of picks via a trade, or an elite prospect at edge rusher or WR like Randy Gregory or Amari Cooper respectively.

Exactly this. You're not rooting for your team to lose. But if the season is lost, you're not hating the fact that you're in great position to pick a potentially amazing player. I remember the win against the Texans in 2011...besides the last minute wins in 06 and 09 against the pats, I don't think I've a felt a more exhilarating and happy football moment than when Danny Boy threw that TD.

Exactly this. You're not rooting for your team to lose. But if the season is lost, you're not hating the fact that you're in great position to pick a potentially amazing player. I remember the win against the Texans in 2011...besides the last minute wins in 06 and 09 against the pats, I don't think I've a felt a more exhilarating and happy football moment than when Danny Boy threw that TD.

Too this day that game is why I firmly believe the Texans will never be a serious threat in the AFC. They may make the playoffs sure, but I never see them reaching an AFC Championship game even when Brady & Manning hang the cleats up

If its a competant 2-14 and not the garbage we saw in 2011...That was pure hell even if it got us Luck.....I literally thought at one point Colts fans should have been the ones being paid to come to games....Im alright with 2-14 if injuries happen that destroys our chances of the post season.......But if its another repeat of 2011 then uh......NO :omg:  :yuk:

Ok, well since this is assuming that we got destroyed by injuries, I'd assume that having a healthy team would mean we were a playoff contender? I we started off 1-8, I would obviously be rooting for us to win the rest of our games, but I couldn't say that I'd be upset if we finished like 2-14 or 3-13. To clear what I am saying is: I'd much rather the team finish 2-14 than 7-9 (assuming that we would not make the playoffs at that record) if we started off 1-8. But I wouldn't be rooting for it. 

I hate the idea of tanking. It only exists in the NBA. In the NFL there are too many variable to successfully pull it off. So no tanking is out of the question. 

Of course, a healthy Colts team wouldn't be in a position to tank at all. If we stay healthy this upcoming season I actually think we'll avoid a lot of these close games and comeback wins simply by more or less destroying our opponents. But yeah, if heavily injured combined with a horrible start, then it would be interesting to see how the players react. Would they "give up" despite the coaching staff urging them to fight? Of course you have pride as a player, but I can't help wondering if at one point you simply go "man, this is going nowhere, might as well get this season over with and put ourselves in a better position next season", things like that. 

As fans I dont think we are as prideful. Like you, a lot of us would rather go 2-14 or 1-15 than 7-9, because that would mean a top class player via the draft. Would be better in the long run than winning some more games and just kinda get a "meh" player. Would be more indifference than rooting for the team to lose.

Everyone has covered the prevalent sentiment. So I'll ask the other question:

Who is coming out next year that is even worth tanking for? Is there a once in a decade prospect, like Andrew?

Not that I know of. But then again, i don't really follow college football so I wouldn't know

Everyone has covered the prevalent sentiment. So I'll ask the other question:

Who is coming out next year that is even worth tanking for? Is there a once in a decade prospect, like Andrew?

There is not a player like Luck coming out. But Winston and Mariota are both quality and potential franchise QBs. Then Amari Cooper at WR, he can do everything.

There is not a player like Luck coming out. But Winston and Mariota are both quality and potential franchise QBs. Then Amari Cooper at WR, he can do everything.

Cooper is a stud. But the point is that there's no one coming out that's worth alienating the fan base for.

There will be no tanking with the front office and coaching staff that we have.

Ever.

No tanking.   

Period.

Non-negotiable.

This idea is DOA.     Dead!     On!      Arrival!!!!

There's nothing remotely unique about the current staff - NO staff wants to tank (not to mention no players on any team in the history of sports).

The owner may see the long term benefit, but everyone else is too concerned with their own careers - which might end abruptly due to said "tanking". (Which by the way, didn't happen in 2011 either. It was simply "losing" - big difference.)

To the question - with the exception of a franchise QB (which the Colts presumably already have), there is no such thing as an NFL player worth losing for in the first place.

Let's me just say, the premise of this thread is rather negative. That might seem absurd given that we have a potential top 5 QB in Luck, a lot of promising pieces on both offense and defense and of course solid coaching staff/GM/scouts to run it all. However, as we know in the NFL anything can happen, which makes negative speculating relevant - even for the Colts. I mean, which person in here thought Houston would have the worst record last season? Honestly?

Add the fact that a lot of our games were rather close, and we were very fortunate/borderline lucky to be on the winning side.

So, what if injuries hit us hard again and we start out 2-6, 1-7 or something like that. I think we have a fairly tough schedule (expecting the NFC east to vastly improve this year, and I don't think we'll sweep the division). And I'm talking injuries to key players like Davis, Mathis, Reggie or even Luck. What does that mean? Do we try fighting through it or do we choose to tank for a playmaker in next year's draft?

Fans have a tendency to look for the next "saviour" in dark times. Like when a lot of people on this board wanted us to tank for Luck and the whole debacle before the last game against the Jags. Would you be one of those fans wanting to tank for an eventual Reggie or Mathis replacement, or would you prefer to win even though the playoffs is an unrealistic goal? And what would it mean for the GM or HC

I admit the 1st yr of the new era was "lucky"  to go 11-5.  Last yr to go 11-5 was again somewhat unexpected with all of our injuries, but to say the Colts have anything less this season would be crazy...  No way to they lose more than 4 with their roster/coaching staff and have the easiest schedule in the league.  They were never in the position to "tank" and they wont be for a very long time.  I believe teams that do that will still be horrible the next season because the core of the team is the same, bad attitudes, and no motivation.  That has never been in Indianapolis (even with the terrible season before we drafted Luck).  Colts have too much integrity to give up even if theyre not having a good season.

Umm if we got a top pick in next year's draft I would say we trade down.

Especially if we where at #1 or #2.  Winston and Mariota are gonna be the best prospects to come out at QB since Luck.  You could get a king's ransom for them.  Especially Mariota.  Winston has some off the field issues and that might cause him to drop.  But there is nothing I've heard about Mariota that would call into question his status as the favorite for the #1 pick of the 2015 draft at this point.

Honestly anyplace inside the top 10 there would likely be better value in trading down.  

Umm if we got a top pick in next year's draft I would say we trade down.

Especially if we where at #1 or #2. Winston and Mariota are gonna be the best prospects to come out at QB since Luck. You could get a king's ransom for them. Especially Mariota. Winston has some off the field issues and that might cause him to drop. But there is nothing I've heard about Mariota that would call into question his status as the favorite for the #1 pick of the 2015 draft at this point.

Honestly anyplace inside the top 10 there would likely be better value in trading down.

" But there is nothing I've heard about Mariota that would call into question his status as the favorite for the #1 pick of the 2015 draft at this point."

Besides the fact that he's not very accurate? The QBs next year aren't any better than this year class. Mariota is a running QB with average passing ability and Winston has a terrible throwing motion, is unathletic, and has off the field issues.

" But there is nothing I've heard about Mariota that would call into question his status as the favorite for the #1 pick of the 2015 draft at this point."

Besides the fact that he's not very accurate? The QBs next year aren't any better than this year class. Mariota is a running QB with average passing ability and Winston has a terrible throwing motion, is unathletic, and has off the field issues.

Next year's QB class stinks of garbage.

Really?  Huh everything I've heard about Mariota to this point has been pretty positive.  

Stanford's head coach seemed to indicate that he had Andrew Luck's head, arm and build with RG3's speed.  However that was right before they where playing him and they did win so I expected that some of it was hyperbole.  

Still though.  If we where in the top 10 for some reason next year it would likely make the most sense to trade down.

I don't think we will be in the top 10 though.  We'd have to be pretty hard hit by injuries for that to happen.  Even with an Andrew Luck season ending injury in the pre-season you have to think that given our division and schedule that Hasselbeck is good enough to make us .500 unless we are just totally decimated by injuries on both sides of the ball.