Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gordy signs tender, Costa retires (won't get any money) [Merge]

HtownColt

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Grigson is made of teflon around here. The guy could trade Luck tomorrow for a bag of skittles and you'd still have people in here defending him:

"In Grigson we trust "

The Costa signing was dumb to begin with. I'm glad we don't have to watch him get pushed into Luck and Richardson all year. Likely wasn't gonna be on our roster past this season anyways.

Now go actually address the interior this time, Grigson

What are you on about this time? He's a player that most people around here didn't even want. I don't think anyone expected him to be anything more than veteran depth, while we all have Holmes penciled in as a starter. To be perfectly honest, his defection is meaningless.

What bothers me is the same thing that bothered me when Costa was signed, and that's that Holmes is THE guy now. Again, many expected that to be the case even before free agency. That hasn't changed. If you sign Goodwin now, that still doesn't change, because Holmes is still the projected starter. 

I thought Goodwin was injured? And if not, then who's gonna hike the ball to Kapernick? Why haven't the 49ers re-signed him?

Goodwin isn't injured. Just a free agent. I don't know what the Niners have in mind, but they're obviously prepared to move on.

What are you on about this time? He's a player that most people around here didn't even want. I don't think anyone expected him to be anything more than veteran depth, while we all have Holmes penciled in as a starter. To be perfectly honest, his defection is meaningless.

What bothers me is the same thing that bothered me when Costa was signed, and that's that Holmes is THE guy now. Again, many expected that to be the case even before free agency. That hasn't changed. If you sign Goodwin now, that still doesn't change, because Holmes is still the projected starter. 

I wished we had given DLapuenta at least a look or signed him for minimum wage like the Burrs

And if he was paid anything, the Colts have every right to go after that money.

So I found the details. http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Phil%20Costa&Position=C&Team=Colts

C Phil Costa signed a two year $2.7 million contract with the Indianapolis Colts on March 14, 2014. $450,000 of his base slary is fully guaranteed. The contract contains an additional $1 million of incentives and escalators based on playing time. Base salaries are $1,200,000(2014) and $1,500,000(2015).

No signing bonus. If there was a workout bonus, he obviously won't receive that. He's retiring, so his guaranteed base salary won't be paid (I'm pretty sure). We maybe have to carry a dead hit of $450k in 2014, but there are provisions for that as well. I don't think his retiring has financial effect on the team or the payroll. He certainly hasn't been paid anything yet.

I wished we had given DLapuenta at least a look or signed him for minimum wage like the Burrs

I'm not interested in BdlP, never was. For vet minimum, sure, but I'd rather hand it over to Holmes. I wasn't a fan of Costa's, either, but at least he represented some experienced depth, some hope. But to be honest, the only reason I expected him to make the final roster is because his salary was guaranteed.

I'd rather have Jonathan Goodwin, a proven veteran who can play right now, if necessary. Whether Grigson likes him or not is a different story; at this point, I'm not sure how Grigson evaluates his interior linemen at this point. But Holmes was the projected starter a month ago, and still is. As annoying as this development is, it's really a non-factor. 

He walked in the strength and conditioning program today and seen Khaled Holmes beasting and realized he had no shot at the starting job so he decided to retire lol

Or our strength and conditioning program is a monster lol

Nope. He saw Austin and knew he had no shot at the backup job.

Probably better than Holmes at this point in there respective careers. 

I doubt it, to be honest. BdlP isn't anything special. He's average, at best. If Holmes is anything like what his draft profile and scouting reports suggest, then he'll be a better player than BdlP. JMO.

Goodwin isn't injured. Just a free agent. I don't know what the Niners have in mind, but they're obviously prepared to move on.

Well something must be wrong if no one has signed him. Wasn't he apart of that dominate offensive line for the 49ers?

Maybe Grigson calls him tonight or tomorrow

I'm not mad Phil Costa is retiring, but I am mad that he wasted our time and put us in an unexpected situation less than 3 weeks before the draft...  I'm not one of those guys that criticizes Grigson, but this makes me extremely irritated, especially since he had a chance to sign EDS and (BDLP Who signed for less  money than Costa), but he didn't even try to get them in for a visit.  For those of you who want the Colts to draft a C, that doesn't make any sense because they would be just as young as Holmes, and the Colts didn't want him to start partially because of his inexperience last season.  For those who want Goodwin, I truly believe he should follow Phil and hang up the cleats.  He is really old, plus there's a reason the 49ers want to move on.  I know lets all just complain about Trent Richardson and blame him when our O-Line sucks AGAIN next season (Sarcasm)!!

I doubt it, to be honest. BdlP isn't anything special. He's average, at best. If Holmes is anything like what his draft profile and scouting reports suggest, then he'll be a better player than BdlP. JMO.

I doubt this very much. I just don't see it, no disrespect for Holmes. He's coming off an injury and is a complete unknown. DLP looked good granted with 2 beastly lineman surrounding him but i'd still take that over unproven and injury history Holmes. 

My whole deal with this is: BLDP is better than Costa no matter which way you slice it. So why not sign him for his vet minimum which is cheaper than what we got Costa for IIRC. 

Well something must be wrong if no one has signed him. Wasn't he apart of that dominate offensive line for the 49ers?

Maybe Grigson calls him tonight or tomorrow

Who knows. I personally assumed that he wanted to avoid offseason workouts, and no one was willing to pay him enough to sign prior to camp. I bet he signs somewhere in July.

Who knows. I personally assumed that he wanted to avoid offseason workouts, and no one was willing to pay him enough to sign prior to camp. I bet he signs somewhere in July.

Hopefully he signs with us this week, unless Grigson is completely sold on letting Holmes take the reigns of this offense. And if that's the case, we'll probably draft a C or just get one in the undrafted players pool

Guess we'll see soon enough

He's a player most on this board didn't want and whom we knew wasn't a good player, yet Grigson signed him. It would be a non-factor if the player penciled in to start wasn't basically a rookie. Costa was supposed to be Grigson's backup plan if Holmes wasn't ready (scary thought, right?), and he's already gone. You're right, it is annoying. It makes Grigson look even more silly that he passed up on better center prospects in free agency. We all knew he wasn't very good, but now we're put right back in the same position of looking for a backup capable of starting if need be. I'm actually happy Costa is retiring because he wasn't going to be a good contingency plan anyways. 

Signing Goodwin would be smart because he's the best of the veteran free agents still available. Holmes has an injury history... heck, WE have an injury history. Odds are, we're going to need someone who is capable of starting a handful of games, anyways. 

You sure have a knack of chiming in on my posts, being argumentative, yet somehow saying basically the same thing i said. I don't disagree with any of your post beyond your opinion that signing another veteran center doesn't change anything. I'd feel slightly more comfortable with Goodwin backing up Holmes than I would Costa 

I doubt this very much. I just don't see it, no disrespect for Holmes. He's coming off an injury and is a complete unknown. DLP looked good granted with 2 beastly lineman surrounding him but i'd still take that over unproven and injury history Holmes. 

My whole deal with this is: BLDP is better than Costa no matter which way you slice it. So why not sign him for his vet minimum which is cheaper than what we got Costa for IIRC. 

I disagree with the BdlP looked good part. I think he looked average, and that's probably the second best guard tandem in the league. Better than Costa? Depends on what season you're talking about. Costa has shown some ability in the past. BdlP had one good year in 2012, and a somewhat decent year in 2013. You could argue that he's regressing.

Yes, Holmes is unproven, but why draft a player if you're never going to give him a chance to play? I would have liked to sign EDS, or even Joe Hawley, but going with Holmes makes sense.

If your point is that we could have signed a different center than Costa, then I agree. I just don't think that should have been BdlP. Of all the centers on the market, I had him last, behind Goodwin, Montgomery, EDS, Hawley, and Mack of course. 

I'm not interested in BdlP, never was. For vet minimum, sure, but I'd rather hand it over to Holmes. I wasn't a fan of Costa's, either, but at least he represented some experienced depth, some hope. But to be honest, the only reason I expected him to make the final roster is because his salary was guaranteed.

I'd rather have Jonathan Goodwin, a proven veteran who can play right now, if necessary. Whether Grigson likes him or not is a different story; at this point, I'm not sure how Grigson evaluates his interior linemen at this point. But Holmes was the projected starter a month ago, and still is. As annoying as this development is, it's really a non-factor. 

On 40 times it would seem

Hopefully he signs with us this week, unless Grigson is completely sold on letting Holmes take the reigns of this offense. And if that's the case, we'll probably draft a C or just get one in the undrafted players pool

Guess we'll see soon enough

I've said for months that drafting a center makes no sense. We just drafted a center. Give him a chance before you draft another one. Otherwise, IMO, it's a waste. 

He's a player most on this board didn't want and whom we knew wasn't a good player, yet Grigson signed him. It would be a non-factor if the player penciled in to start wasn't basically a rookie. Costa was supposed to be Grigson's backup plan if Holmes wasn't ready (scary thought, right?), and he's already gone. You're right, it is annoying. It makes Grigson look even more silly that he passed up on better center prospects in free agency. We all knew he wasn't very good, but now we're put right back in the same position of looking for a backup capable of starting if need be. I'm actually happy Costa is retiring because he wasn't going to be a good contingency plan anyways. 

Signing Goodwin would be smart because he's the best of the veteran free agents still available. Holmes has an injury history... heck, WE have an injury history. Odds are, we're going to need someone who is capable of starting a handful of games, anyways. 

You sure have a knack of chiming in on my posts, being argumentative, yet somehow saying basically the same thing i said. I don't disagree with any of your post beyond your opinion that signing another veteran center doesn't change anything. I'd feel slightly more comfortable with Goodwin backing up Holmes than I would Costa 

Goodwin was the best C available since FA started Mack was never a FA the Browns just handled that situation in typically browns manner. He is old so not as appealing for a team looking for a long term solution but as far as ready to go play today he would have been my top choice perfect to bring Holmes along was surprised that wasn't Grigs move from jump street

I disagree with the BdlP looked good part. I think he looked average, and that's probably the second best guard tandem in the league. Better than Costa? Depends on what season you're talking about. Costa has shown some ability in the past. BdlP had one good year in 2012, and a somewhat decent year in 2013. You could argue that he's regressing.

Yes, Holmes is unproven, but why draft a player if you're never going to give him a chance to play? I would have liked to sign EDS, or even Joe Hawley, but going with Holmes makes sense.

If your point is that we could have signed a different center than Costa, then I agree. I just don't think that should have been BdlP. Of all the centers on the market, I had him last, behind Goodwin, Montgomery, EDS, Hawley, and Mack of course. 

I agree but the only thing that bugs me about that is, why not get him reps last season if that was your plan all along? Seems like a lot of indecisiveness to me. But I don't know how the Colts go about developing players, so whatever

I've said for months that drafting a center makes no sense. We just drafted a center. Give him a chance before you draft another one. Otherwise, IMO, it's a waste.

Draft a C or Sign one. Bottom line with our injury problems, we can't go into the season with ONE center

You have a knack for being critical, not only of Grigson, but of anyone who isn't calling for Grigson's head on a platter. I don't think it makes Grigson look silly that Costa retired. I think it speaks to the plan in the first place, which is for Holmes to be penciled in as the starter.

As I said earlier, and have said for a while, not giving Holmes a chance to start makes very little sense, unless you're going to sign a clear cut improvement. And that's just a completely different approach, which Grigson clearly didn't want to take. That's defensible, because he just drafted Holmes (and again, it's a waste to not give him a chance). 

So that pretty much disqualifies EDS from the discussion, and Mack as well (many people figured Mack was out to begin with). Leaves some veteran guys who can add depth. I was never a fan of Costa, but he has some ability and some experience, so whatever. I'd have preferred Goodwin, but he's still available, so that might speak to his motivations, and it might speak to a contingency for us. Montgomery is gone already, and I was personally never interested in BdlP. Joe Hawley didn't make it it to FA. Who else was there?

Never mind that, because that ship has sailed. Who else IS there? Goodwin is still out there, but again, if Grigson has projected Holmes as the starter, then that might disqualify US from Goodwin's list. And I'm fine with that, because I'd rather see us give Holmes a chance than stunt his development by promising the starting job to an aging vet who is chasing a ring and/or a paycheck. Hopefully the two sides have mutual interest, because I'd rather have Goodwin than not because I think that makes us better, but I think it makes sense at this point to give Holmes a decisive opportunity to be the starter. 

The discussion is very legitimate. I just disagree with your characterization of Grigson and the way he's held around here. 

Wow, Grigson is made of teflon around here. The guy could trade Luck tomorrow for a bag of skittles and you'd still have people in here defending him:

"In Grigson we trust "

The Costa signing was dumb to begin with. I'm glad we don't have to watch him get pushed into Luck and Richardson all year. Likely wasn't gonna be on our roster past this season anyways.

Now go actually address the interior this time, Grigson

Are you serious?      You're going to use this to bag on Grigson?    Like he should have known all along?

This is getting embarrassing.      You seriously have issues.     People here are only defending him against the know-nothings who think he did something wrong?     Sound familiar?    Look in a mirror recently?

You sure you're a Colts fan?

I agree but the only thing that bugs me about that is, why not get him reps last season if that was your plan all along? Seems like a lot of indecisiveness to me. But I don't know how the Colts go about developing players, so whatever

Yeah, I wish they had given Holmes some guard and center snaps last year, rather than letting Satele and McGlynn play themselves out of their jobs, to the team's detriment. But they are gone, and it would be difficult to for us to have a worse guard/center tandem than we did last year. At this point, the best case scenario is that Holmes gets going right away.

Draft a C or Sign one. Bottom line with our injury problems, we can't go into the season with ONE center

We still have Thomas Austin. I know nothing about him, but he's on the roster. And signing a lower level guy right now, or drafting someone late in the draft, or even a UDFA, makes sense. But I don't see center as a draft priority, definitely not at #59. I made a full scale argument against it in another thread, then ended with the realization that Grigson might very well draft someone like Marcus Martin in the second. I disagree with that strategy, but I don't know anything about how he's going to draft. I never do. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend a high pick on a center when we haven't even given Holmes a chance yet.

Blaming Grigson for Costa retiring is absurd. Did he show signs of being soft as a marshmallow? I wonder why all of a sudden he would retire after signing a new contract. Actually pisses me off and would like to throat punch him.

You have a knack for being critical, not only of Grigson, but of anyone who isn't calling for Grigson's head on a platter. I don't think it makes Grigson look silly that Costa retired. I think it speaks to the plan in the first place, which is for Holmes to be penciled in as the starter.

As I said earlier, and have said for a while, not giving Holmes a chance to start makes very little sense, unless you're going to sign a clear cut improvement. And that's just a completely different approach, which Grigson clearly didn't want to take. That's defensible, because he just drafted Holmes (and again, it's a waste to not give him a chance). 

So that pretty much disqualifies EDS from the discussion, and Mack as well (many people figured Mack was out to begin with). Leaves some veteran guys who can add depth. I was never a fan of Costa, but he has some ability and some experience, so whatever. I'd have preferred Goodwin, but he's still available, so that might speak to his motivations, and it might speak to a contingency for us. Montgomery is gone already, and I was personally never interested in BdlP. Joe Hawley didn't make it it to FA. Who else was there?

Never mind that, because that ship has sailed. Who else IS there? Goodwin is still out there, but again, if Grigson has projected Holmes as the starter, then that might disqualify US from Goodwin's list. And I'm fine with that, because I'd rather see us give Holmes a chance than stunt his development by promising the starting job to an aging vet who is chasing a ring and/or a paycheck. Hopefully the two sides have mutual interest, because I'd rather have Goodwin than not because I think that makes us better, but I think it makes sense at this point to give Holmes a decisive opportunity to be the starter. 

The discussion is very legitimate. I just disagree with your characterization of Grigson and the way he's held around here. 

My frustrations with Grigson's handling of the offensive line (among other things) are well documented. I feel like he's overly aggressive when he should exercise patience (Richardson trade) and other times (like now) he's inactive when he should probably be aggressively looking to upgrade a particular unit (O-line). I've basically disagreed with the majority of his moves since we first traded Jerry Hughes. I think he and Pagano have done a good job overall rebuilding the team, but they're starting down a path that could eventually come back to bite us. We've been fortunate to win as many games as we have these past 2 years. My only hope is that we eventually have enough talent to overcome whenever our fortune does finally turn and the ball no longer bounces our way. We haven't played good football that much, despite the wins. Statistically, we've been outmatched by our opponents both years (outscored.) Eventually, that luck is going to run out and we're going to have to look at our roster for what it really is. 

I'm not critical of anyone of likes Grigson, i'm usually the one who gets the backlash after making a disparaging remark about Grigson from someone who doesn't like it. I just don't understand why I have to be a fan of the GM and his every decision in order to be considered a Colts fan. That's how it comes off around here sometimes. 

Anyways, as for Holmes, I don't have a problem with him starting. I do have a problem with the coaches not playing him AT ALL last season, to at least prepare him to start. He's an unknown, surrounded by a 2nd year player still trying to find his way and a guard who is less than a year removed from a tendon tear and a muscle tear in the same off season. That should be cause for alarm to anyone rooting for the Colts.