Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years 14 mill???? Why didn't we give him a look? That is a steal guys. Dietrich Smith is a really good center. I cant believe this.

lol @ steal and really good center.

He is neither. He paid for what he is. A serviceable center, whose production/tape/grade etc was inflated due to snapping the ball to Aaron Rodgers.

That's not saying much. I wouldn't risk with 4 years with EDS. He only really came on to the scene last season. Before that he was a backup guard. What if he overachieved behind Aaron Rodgers. Easy to look good behind him. I feel like EDS is being overrated. Let's see what we have in Holmes this season.

In 2015 there are FA centers like Nick Hardwick, Pouncey, Wisniewski. In the draft we could pick a center early like Grasu, Reese, Matthews or Brendel. Plenty of options. Let's not settle for mediocrity.

How is it east to look good in front of a guy who holds the ball for a long time?

As others have said, maybe Grigs and co. watched a ton of film on EDS and decided they simply weren't interested.

Good for him if he did...I love your blind faith in believing Grigs is right........He is not....Not with this Costa move...Not in putting all his eggs in to Mack....Not in at least bringing in EDS for a visit

Well the Packers did want to resign him but they also seemed content to let him walk because they believe they have a capable Center behind him to, Maybe the Packers not re-signing him was more to do with not good for the locker room or something, Rodgers sure wanted him back though and from all I can tell he was a damn good Center on tape and his grade reflects that

The Packers let a starting caliber center walk for $3.5M a year in a $5M+ market?  That capable center in waiting for the Packers would be?....Oh, you mean Tretter and another journeyman.  So a 4th round pick who was injured last year is now a good plan?  

Don't forget Mack, unless he signs somewhere else (possibly us :goodluck: , most likely not though) w/o the browns matching.

Would you pay 9-10 for a Center? Ryan Kalil makes 8.1 mil a year, and look how much cap problem they have. We have to re-sign Luck, Hilton and Allen in two seasons. Castonzo and Freeman too. And we just paid Davis almost 10 mil. We can't pay to have top players at every position.

Do you guys see us having 3 Centers next season? i mean we have holmes and Costa, do you think we will carry a 3 rd center into the season? if we were to draft one i dont think holmes is cut cause its only his first year and costa was just signed....my point is, we might go into the seasonw ith those 2.

i guess maybe if the team believe one of those 2 can play G then we carry one less G.

Good for him if he did...I love your blind faith in believing Grigs is right........He is not....Not with this Costa move...Not in putting all his eggs in to Mack....Not in at least bringing in EDS for a visit

I'm pretty sure he stayed in TB for a few days since the 11th. Hard to bring him in if he's with another team.

How do you know Grigs didnt contact EDS, I have no proof he did, or that he didn't. It's also possible that EDS didn't want to play for the Colts, as I stated above, so lets not criticize too harshly. We don't know the details. 

And yes, I am just as worried as you about our OLine and wish he'd hurry up and get something done.

How is it east to look good in front of a guy who holds the ball for a long time?

Because that's what he does all the time... Every single play. You're vastly overrating EDS. He was a backup guard who only showed he could play last season. Behind arguably the best QB in the NFL. Rogers' ability with his feet and release makes EDS look better than he is. That's just how it is with great QBs. 

Would you pay 9-10 for a Center? Ryan Kalil makes 8.1 mil a year, and look how much cap problem they have. We have to re-sign Luck, Hilton and Allen in two seasons. Castonzo and Freeman too. And we just paid Davis almost 10 mil. We can't pay to have top players at every position.

I'm not totally sure, I know I'd pay 7.5-8.5 ish, but I just cant see a team giving Mack 9-10, you do have a point there. 

The Packers let a starting caliber center walk for $3.5M a year in a $5M+ market?  That capable center in waiting for the Packers would be?....Oh, you mean Tretter and another journeyman.  So a 4th round pick who was injured last year is now a good plan?  

Hey Im just going by what I see an hear. If I was the Packers I would have locked EDS up, Now they have to hope they are right about Tretter

Grigs you fell asleep on this one.

Well boys strap yourself in for a season at Costa Rica... or maybe we stay at Holme.

Don't give me your passive aggressive "facepalm" until we sign someone that is better. Get out of here with that bull

Maybe you should get out of here with the "Grigson fell asleep" bull until OTA's start and there's officially not a better C on the roster.  ;)

What blind faith?  I simply offered an alternate theory to "Grigson was all in on Mack and didn't bother to look at EDS".  As someone else said, we don't know that Grigson didn't call EDS' agent.  It's entirely possible that Grigson tried to set something up but EDS declined for any of a number of reasons.  Or as I said, maybe Grigson and co. just didn't think EDS would be a good fit here for whatever reason...personality, scheme etc.  

Despite your bravado as an arm-chair talent scout, I fully believe that Grigson, Pagano and co. have much more intimate knowledge than you do on the type of blocking schemes they want to employ and what traits they are looking for in offensive linemen.  

I think this confirms what most Packers fans knew.....He is a mid-level center in this league......good, but not great. Not sure if the coming Mack deal is helping or hurting the center market. This deal may help pull down the price of Mack (wishful thinking). I think teams may be laughing at Mack's asking price which is why we aren't hearing anything.......absolutely anything out of his situation.

How do you know Grigs didnt contact EDS, I have no proof he did, or that he didn't. It's also possible that EDS didn't want to play for the Colts, as I stated above, so lets not criticize too harshly. We don't know the details. 

And yes, I am just as worried as you about our OLine and wish he'd hurry up and get something done.

It would have came out that the 2nd best Center on the market had a visit to the Colts lined up, It did with him about TB and a couple other teams (Giants)

Maybe you should get out of here with the "Grigson fell asleep" bull until OTA's start and there's officially not a better C on the roster.  ;)

What blind faith?  I simply offered an alternate theory to "Grigson was all in on Mack and didn't bother to look at EDS".  As someone else said, we don't know that Grigson didn't call EDS' agent.  It's entirely possible that Grigson tried to set something up but EDS declined for any of a number of reasons.  Or as I said, maybe Grigson and co. just didn't think EDS would be a good fit here for whatever reason...personality, scheme etc.  

Despite your bravado as an arm-chair talent scout, I fully believe that Grigson, Pagano and co. have much more intimate knowledge than you do on the type of blocking schemes they want to employ and what traits they are looking for in offensive linemen.

It's not bull when it's the truth. He fell asleep on that one. He can redeem himself by bringing in a better center though. Gotta see it happen first...

Because that's what he does all the time... Every single play. You're vastly overrating EDS. He was a backup guard who only showed he could play last season. Behind arguably the best QB in the NFL. Rogers' ability with his feet and release makes EDS look better than he is. That's just how it is with great QBs.

You're literally just using buzzterms. How does his feet and release mqkes him look better?

Here's how a GB Packer play looks:

ARod takes the snap, stands around for 4 seconds until someone breaks through the line, and scrambles to complete a pass.

This makes the line look worse than they are, not better.

You're literally just using buzzterms. How does his feet and release mqkes him look better?

Here's how a GB Packer play looks:

ARod takes the snap, stands around for 4 seconds until someone breaks through the line, and scrambles to complete a pass.

This makes the line look worse than they are, not better.

You're literally just talking nonsense and generalizing with your description.

Aaron Rodgers does hold on to the ball to long... at times. But every single play like you make it out to be. He also gets rid of the ball quickly and his quick release helps in this process. Makes the o-line look better. His receivers play a big part too along with Rodgers ability to scramble. Doesn't directly make his o-line better when you see it, but stat and grade wise it makes them look better.

Hey Im just going by what I see an hear. If I was the Packers I would have locked EDS up, Now they have to hope they are right about Tretter

And yet the Packers let him go.  I only heard of one reported visit for EDS and that was with the Bucs.  He signs what pretty much everyone here believes to be a much lower contract than they expected for him.  Add it all up and this is a pretty compelling argument for EDS not being quite as good as some think he is.

It would have came out that the 2nd best Center on the market had a visit to the Colts lined up, It did with him about TB and a couple other teams (Giants)

Again, Grigson could have contacted EDS's agent, the agent says "He's not interested in playing in Indy".  Conversation over.  I'll bet my next paycheck that every conversation of that type does not get reported to the media.  Everyone is assuming that Grigson just overlooked EDS but I don't buy that at all.  With the guys he's brought in from the CFL, Muamba coming from a rugby background, bringing in RJF and Walden instead of big name guys who would have cost twice as much without giving twice the production...Grigson has at the very least shown that he does all of his homework.

It's not bull when it's the truth. He fell asleep on that one. He can redeem himself by bringing in a better center though. Gotta see it happen first...

:facepalm:  nah, it's still bull.

And yet the Packers let him go.  I only heard of one reported visit for EDS and that was with the Bucs.  He signs what pretty much everyone here believes to be a much lower contract than they expected for him.  Add it all up and this is a pretty compelling argument for EDS not being quite as good as some think he is.

Again, Grigson could have contacted EDS's agent, the agent says "He's not interested in playing in Indy".  Conversation over.  I'll bet my next paycheck that every conversation of that type does not get reported to the media.  Everyone is assuming that Grigson just overlooked EDS but I don't buy that at all.  With the guys he's brought in from the CFL, Muamba coming from a rugby background, bringing in RJF and Walden instead of big name guys who would have cost twice as much without giving twice the production...Grigson has at the very least shown that he does all of his homework.

:facepalm:  nah, it's still bull.

No it's not. You don't really know what you're talking about on this subject apparently.

We can't pay to have top players at every position.

Yes you are right you can't have pro bowlers at every position. BUT the Offensive Line is major problem since years, Colts traded a first rounder for Richardson and talked all season long that they are a power running Offense and struggled heavily and you have a high rated franchise QB who is constantly under pressure. I think you have to get the best guy even if it means you have to spend a lot of money on him. What the Colts need right now is a difference maker on the O-line. Holmes is maybe a good and talented guy but he missed his rookie season and relying on him and Costa would be a huge gamble in my eyes.

lol @ steal and really good center.

He is neither. He paid for what he is. A serviceable center, whose production/tape/grade etc was inflated due to snapping the ball to Aaron Rodgers.

You'll wish we had signed him when Luck is taking a beating with Costa or Holmes as our center. Dietrich Smith ranked 1st in pass protection last season per PFF. Snapping the ball to Rogers did help him as it would any center, but he is still a very good starting center, and I'm not the only person who thinks that. Grigs has made some good moves, but people need to stop thinking every move he makes is genius.

EDS is overrated on this board. GMs know he's not a top center and that is now reflected in his salary.

I think the FO has faith in Holmes

Yeah, the same GM's that passed over Tom Brady for 6 rounds. There are always guys that get slighted in FA and perform.

Yeah, the same GM's that passed over Tom Brady for 6 rounds. There are always guys that get slighted in FA and perform.

It amazes me some people think that GM's dont make mistakes or always know what they are looking for when looking at a position,

No it's not. You don't really know what you're talking about on this subject apparently.

Oh I know exactly what's going on.  You can * and moan about a move that Grigson makes that you don't like, but you don't like it when someone calls you out on it.  YOU claimed that Grigs "fell asleep" on EDS which is not a fact nor the truth...at all.  We have no idea what scouting Grigson did or did not do on EDS.  However, you make the assumption that Grigson did not and you called him out on it with your little hissy fit.  

Then someone else comes along and tells you to reserve judgement for now because Costa is more than likely either a plan B or was simply added for depth.  You don't like that so you throw your second little hissy fit telling this person to hold off on giving you the :facepalm: until Grigson signs someone better, even though you're complaining now while there is still plenty of time for Grigson to make more moves.

Summary...you feel you have every right to complain about Grigson's signing of Costa and missing out on EDS until such time as Grigson brings in someone better, and no one can call you on it UNTIL Grigson brings in someone better.  That's not how it works.  You want to do the complaining for now, then people are going to be disagreeing for now.  If you want people to hold off on facepalming you until Grigson brings in someone better, then you should hold off on judging Grigson until training camps officially begin because he has between now and then to still improve the C position.

It amazes me some people think that GM's dont make mistakes or always know what they are looking for when looking at a position,

Who said GM's don't make mistakes?  I never did...didn't see anyone else say it either.  Of course they do.  They're human and it is only human to make mistakes.  Guess what though, you're human too. 

I can say with absolute certainty, in regards to NFL player personnel, Real GM's make far, far fewer mistakes than....amateur "gm's". ;)

Oh I know exactly what's going on.  You can * and moan about a move that Grigson makes that you don't like, but you don't like it when someone calls you out on it.  YOU claimed that Grigs "fell asleep" on EDS which is not a fact nor the truth...at all.  We have no idea what scouting Grigson did or did not do on EDS.  However, you make the assumption that Grigson did not and you called him out on it with your little hissy fit.  

Then someone else comes along and tells you to reserve judgement for now because Costa is more than likely either a plan B or was simply added for depth.  You don't like that so you throw your second little hissy fit telling this person to hold off on giving you the :facepalm: until Grigson signs someone better, even though you're complaining now while there is still plenty of time for Grigson to make more moves.

Summary...you feel you have every right to complain about Grigson's signing of Costa and missing out on EDS until such time as Grigson brings in someone better, and no one can call you on it UNTIL Grigson brings in someone better.  That's not how it works.  You want to do the complaining for now, then people are going to be disagreeing for now.  If you want people to hold off on facepalming you until Grigson brings in someone better, then you should hold off on judging Grigson until training camps officially begin because he has between now and then to still improve the C position.

Perhaps you should keep your assumptions In your head. I told someone that it seems like Costa is looking like our starter for now.I didn't complain about costa, and then the dude was butthurt that I think acosta is competing for our starting center spot.

Grigson could have had a good center for fairly cheap in EDs but he missed it.

Perhaps you should keep your assumptions In your head. I told someone that it seems like Costa is looking like our starter for now.I didn't complain about costa, and then the dude was butthurt that I think acosta is competing for our starting center spot.

Grigson could have had a good center for fairly cheap in EDs but he missed it.

Maybe...or maybe EDS really isn't that good. I would have like Grigson to sign him, but what the hell do I know?

Who said GM's don't make mistakes?  I never did...didn't see anyone else say it either.  Of course they do.  They're human and it is only human to make mistakes.  Guess what though, you're human too. 

I can say with absolute certainty, in regards to NFL player personnel, Real GM's make far, far fewer mistakes than....amateur "gm's". ;)

Of course they make far more mistakes, I would never dispute that fact, Just like it doesn't mean a amateur GM is wrong because he is an amateur. At the end of the day all it really means is that that real GM gets to make the real call and the amateur does not. That dont make the real GM right or the amateur wrong

Of course they make far more mistakes, I would never dispute that fact, Just like it doesn't mean a amateur GM is wrong because he is an amateur. At the end of the day all it really means is that that real GM gets to make the real call and the amateur does not. That dont make the real GM right or the amateur wrong

Well, to be fair...there really is no such thing as an amateur GM. Were all just fans that always think we know whats best for the team and who's the better players. In reality, we really don't know nearly as much as we all think we do. You know, just because I like to look at the stars at night, it don't make me an astrophysicist. GM's make mistakes just like everybody else on Earth does, but they do have far more knowledge than anybody posting in this forum so I don't think it's unreasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't like every move we make either and I'll get it off my chest when it happens, but I'm not gonna obsess over it forever.