Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to be fair...there really is no such thing as an amateur GM. Were all just fans that always think we know whats best for the team and who's the better players. In reality, we really don't know nearly as much as we all think we do. You know, just because I like to look at the stars at night, it don't make me an astrophysicist. GM's make mistakes just like everybody else on Earth does, but they do have far more knowledge than anybody posting in this forum so I don't think it's unreasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't like every move we make either and I'll get it off my chest when it happens, but I'm not gonna obsess over it forever. 

Yeah Im not obsessing, Like you say I just had to get it off my chest, I really really hope that whoever starts (Costa, Holmes) plays great but I do have plenty of concerns/doubts about it, not going to obsess over it though

The ONLY FA center worth giving a multi-year deal to is Mack.  EDS and BDLP is not what we want at C for 4 years.  We want something better.

Its either sign a vet for 1 or 2 years, which EDS or BDLP wont do, or draft who we want.  Or it could be Holmes, it might be Mack.

But EDS and BDLP were always tweeners, good enough to want multi-year deals, but not good enough for the colts to give them one.  Their own teams let them walk for relatively low money (I'm predicting with BDLP too)

Yeah Im not obsessing, Like you say I just had to get it off my chest, I really really hope that whoever starts (Costa, Holmes) plays great but I do have plenty of concerns/doubts about it, not going to obsess over it though

Yeah, I have concerns too. I'm still hopeful that maybe we pull a surprise and get a better center. Then again, Costa is still pretty young and don't have much experience. He don't have a proven track record of being bad, so for all we know, he could turn out to be pretty good. There was a point in time when nobody thought Jeff Saturday would be any good either and there are others that struggled early and then turned out to be good. There really isn't enough to go on to tell if he can be a successful center. I have read a few things on him that seem to suggest that he's got potential.

Yeah, I have concerns too. I'm still hopeful that maybe we pull a surprise and get a better center. Then again, Costa is still pretty young and don't have much experience. He don't have a proven track record of being bad, so for all we know, he could turn out to be pretty good. There was a point in time when nobody thought Jeff Saturday would be any good either and there are others that struggled early and then turned out to be good. There really isn't enough to go on to tell if he can be a successful center. I have read a few things on him that seem to suggest that he's got potential.

See I have read things that say he has short arms, doesn't get good leg drive to push in the run game, slips off blocks and then I went back and watched for all those things on Rewind and I found them to be true

You'll wish we had signed him when Luck is taking a beating with Costa or Holmes as our center. Dietrich Smith ranked 1st in pass protection last season per PFF. Snapping the ball to Rogers did help him as it would any center, but he is still a very good starting center, and I'm not the only person who thinks that. Grigs has made some good moves, but people need to stop thinking every move he makes is genius.

This.  I have no problem with depth signings and patiently waiting to see what Grigson's master plan is...just really concerned that at some point the hits are gonna catch up to Luck. 

Costa and his contract make a lot of sense if Grigson is making a serious run at Mack (which I think he is).     He couldn't wait for the final decision from Mack/Cleveland before finding a center in the case that Cleveland would match.  But he couldn't sign a higher salary C and then continue to pursue Mack.

FWIW, Costa was rated 4th by Polian -- ahead of BDLP (EDS was #2).   If Mack does end up with the Colts they have more completion for the G spots with Holmes/Costa now in the mix.

Costa and his contract make a lot of sense if Grigson is making a serious run at Mack (which I think he is).     He couldn't wait for the final decision from Mack/Cleveland before finding a center in the case that Cleveland would match.  But he couldn't sign a higher salary C and then continue to pursue Mack.

FWIW, Costa was rated 4th by Polian -- ahead of BDLP (EDS was #2).   If Mack does end up with the Colts they have more completion for the G spots with Holmes/Costa now in the mix.

I think Bill let one of his grand kids make that list