Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We have interest in Alex Mack?

What’s going on with #Browns center Alex Mack? I’m told 4 teams have been in contact on varying levels. Waiting for the frenzy to die down

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

March 12, 2014

On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?

March 12, 2014

Will probably cost up to 11$M, Are we legit contenders for Mack?

We are contenders for Mack and we have an advantage because of Chudzinski and Jackson already being on the team.

We may have an advantage as to which team Mack would prefer to sign with, but that advantage has no bearing on Cleveland's ability to match the offer.

My god you guys literally have no idea how this tag works. 

His tender is 10 million dollars, that does not mean you could sign him for 11 million. You could offer him a $6 million contract, you could offer him a $100 million it's of no consequence what the dollar amount you offer him is. 

Why not?

His tender is for $10 million, which he has not signed yet. The only way he gets $10 million dollars this year, is if he doesn't sign an offer from the Browns or any other team and then signs his tender. If you offer him, say a 5 year, $40 million dollar deal, he could say "yes" and sign it. Then Cleveland has the chance to either match it, or let him come to Indy. 

So you could offer him $2 million or $100 million, the dollar amount is inconsequential. 

The point being is if Cleveland will pay him 10 million for 1 yr they are likely to match any contract almost up to that point. I think it would take a pretty hefty contract non-the-less to get him here. Probably 8-10 range. The fact they will pay him 10 for 1 yr doesn't mean they will pay him avg 10 over 4 or 5 yrs. Whatever the case...his contract will likely have to rival Vontae's to even have a shot I would imagine....and that is HEFTY.

My god you guys literally have no idea how this tag works. 

His tender is 10 million dollars, that does not mean you could sign him for 11 million. You could offer him a $6 million contract, you could offer him a $100 million it's of no consequence what the dollar amount you offer him is. 

You literally grouped a whole bunch of people unnecessarily with a small few that may not fully understand the intricacies of the transition tag.

You literally grouped a whole bunch of people unnecessarily with a small few that may not fully understand the intricacies of the transition tag.

My bad, I just keep seeing this number all over this board. "We could sign him for $10 million".

I really wish people would stop these threads.  First off, $11 million, assuming Browns don't match, is just a RIDICULOUS amount for a center.  Ridiculous - can't say it enough.  Second, even if we did make an offer, Browns can match and its' end of story.  They have more money than us, there's no reason to think they're going to let him walk.  If they're putting the transition tago on him, it's because they know that almost everyone won't be putting $10 million on a center, and they are right.  Otherwise, they'd just franchise tag him and pay an extra $2 million.

I really wish people would stop these threads.  First off, $11 million, assuming Browns don't match, is just a RIDICULOUS amount for a center.  Ridiculous - can't say it enough.  Second, even if we did make an offer, Browns can match and its' end of story.  They have more money than us, there's no reason to think they're going to let him walk.  If they're putting the transition tago on him, it's because they know that almost everyone won't be putting $10 million on a center, and they are right.  Otherwise, they'd just franchise tag him and pay an extra $2 million.

They have more money than us at the moment, but there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't investigate this.

For an example:

If the Browns sign Revis to something similar to his (previous Bucs) contract, and perhaps one or two more free agents; we could easily find ourselves in a position where we have MORE cap space than the Browns.  We need to cover our bases and make sure we don't lose out on a great opportunity, just because we thought it was unattainable.

They have more money than us at the moment, but there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't investigate this.

For an example:

If the Browns sign Revis to something similar to his (previous Bucs) contract, and perhaps one or two more free agents; we could easily find ourselves in a position where we have MORE cap space than the Browns. We need to cover our bases and make sure we don't lose out on a great opportunity, just because we thought it was unattainable.

That's what I said the brown have shown intrest in Revis and Tate both will cost a bit also have heard they am we're looking at WRs

What’s going on with #Browns center Alex Mack? I’m told 4 teams have been in contact on varying levels. Waiting for the frenzy to die down

March 12, 2014

On Alex Mack? Yes. Ravens, too. RT @Steve_Cardenas: @RapSheet Are the Colts one of those teams?

March 12, 2014

Will probably cost up to 11$M, Are we legit contenders for Mack?

I do not see how. There is no center worth that kind of money.

For an example:

If the Browns sign Revis to something similar to his (previous Bucs) contract, and perhaps one or two more free agents; we could easily find ourselves in a position where we have MORE cap space than the Browns.  We need to cover our bases and make sure we don't lose out on a great opportunity, just because we thought it was unattainable.

Yes, there's one very great reason why we shouldn't investigate, and that reason is that we shouldn't pay over $10 million for a center for one season.  Even if we steal him from the Browns, there's no guarantee that he stays here after 2014.

Now that Revis has been taken off the market, there's even more of a reason not to investigate...

Yes, there's one very great reason why we shouldn't investigate, and that reason is that we shouldn't pay over $10 million for a center for one season.  Even if we steal him from the Browns, there's no guarantee that he stays here after 2014.

Now that Revis has been taken off the market, there's even more of a reason not to investigate...

I wouldn't pay him 8m let alone 10+

In what world does investigating mean paying?  We are gethering information to make sure we do not miss out on a deal.  It doesn't cost us $10 million to talk to Mack.  It may not even cost us $10 million to sign Mack!

Surely we should "investigate". That doesn't cost us anything. If a deal would be over the top, walk away and focus on other options. If a deal can be made within what Grigson considers reasonable, then get it done.

Suggesting we should just forget about signing the best available player at a position where we have a glaring hole to fill, without even trying to find out if it could be done, is just plain nonsense.

In what world does investigating mean paying?  We are gethering information to make sure we do not miss out on a deal.  It doesn't cost us $10 million to talk to Mack.  It may not even cost us $10 million to sign Mack!

What?  I don't think you understand how the transition tag works.  If we were going to sign him, we'd have to offer more than what his transition tag is.  So it will cost us  more than $10 million. That's the purpose of the transition tag. Then, say we offer $11 million, all Browns have to do is match that offer, and he remains with the Browns.

We could offer $8 million a year, but that presupposes that Mack would even be interested in taking less money.  And even assuming he was, the transition tag inflates any offer he would have otherwise received if on FA.  It's just really not a good idea to seek out a top 2 or 3 player who is transitioned. 

What?  I don't think you understand how the transition tag works.  If we were going to sign him, we'd have to offer more than what his transition tag is.  So it will cost us  more than $10 million. That's the purpose of the transition tag. Then, say we offer $11 million, all Browns have to do is match that offer, and he remains with the Browns.

We could offer $8 million a year, but that presupposes that Mack would even be interested in taking less money.  And even assuming he was, the transition tag inflates any offer he would have otherwise received if on FA.  It's just really not a good idea to seek out a top 2 or 3 player who is transitioned. 

The transition tag allows the Browns to match any offer within five days.  If he recieves no offer, he can sign the tender for a one-year contract worth roughly $10 million.

NOWHERE does it state that he cannot sign elsewhere, and NOWHERE does it state he cannot accept less money.  Mack's agent is confident he can create clauses in a contract that disuade the Browns from offering.  There may be reasons why he would want to join the Colts other than money (be it Chud, Luck, whatever else he can think of). 

There is still NO REASON AT ALL why investigating this is a bad thing!  Information is important in Grigson's business!  Even if we cannot sign Mack, the information he gets could be helpful in signing a different free agent center!

Stop assuming that this investigation can only lead to us signing Mack for an amount equal to what Russia spent on the olympics!

The transition tag allows the Browns to match any offer within five days.  If he recieves no offer, he can sign the tender for a one-year contract worth roughly $10 million.

NOWHERE does it state that he cannot sign elsewhere, and NOWHERE does it state he cannot accept less money.  Mack's agent is confident he can create clauses in a contract that disuade the Browns from offering.  There may be reasons why he would want to join the Colts other than money (be it Chud, Luck, whatever else he can think of). 

There is still NO REASON AT ALL why investigating this is a bad thing!  Information is important in Grigson's business!  Even if we cannot sign Mack, the information he gets could be helpful in signing a different free agent center!

Stop assuming that this investigation can only lead to us signing Mack for an amount equal to what Russia spent on the olympics!

+1 on the Russia olypics.  I get what you are saying.  I really do.  Looking into it isn't the problem, I concede that.  But I still don't think it will really get us anywhere.  So I still stand by my point that he's going to command more than he's worth.  Yes, we really need a C.  But paying $8 million for a C?  That's crazy I think, considering we can get a good center for a couple million less.  But if we can sign him for a reasonable contract, I will gladly eat crow on this one.  He's a great C and I think he could take us to the next level in our passing and rush game. 

+1 on the Russia olypics.  I get what you are saying.  I really do.  Looking into it isn't the problem, I concede that.  But I still don't think it will really get us anywhere.  So I still stand by my point that he's going to command more than he's worth.  Yes, we really need a C.  But paying $8 million for a C?  That's crazy I think, considering we can get a good center for a couple million less.  But if we can sign him for a reasonable contract, I will gladly eat crow on this one.  He's a great C and I think he could take us to the next level in our passing and rush game. 

I actually do agree with you that he will be overly expensive, but I still love that Grigson is looking into it.  If I get my way, though, Khaled Holmes would be our starter next year.

My problem with signing Mack is that by definition, the contract needs to be unreasonable (or else Cleveland would just match). Other than that, I would 100% want him on this team. Phil Costa certainly isn't the answer, and as of right now we have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. I will say that I really like what we've done on the defensive side of the ball this off-season so far, but without an O-line our running game is going to be a joke and our pass game is never gonna live up to its potential. Peyton Manning threw 55 TDs largely because he played behind a great offensive line. Skill players can't live up to their potential if the guys in the trenches don't allow them to. 

I actually do agree with you that he will be overly expensive, but I still love that Grigson is looking into it.  If I get my way, though, Khaled Holmes would be our starter next year.

I hope Holmes get a shot at the job. I feel much better about Khaled Holmes as our center than I do about Phil Costa as our center. It just seems to me that the team has no faith in Holmes as the center. Satele was ineffective and injured at various points last season. They moved Mike McGlynn to center instead of playing Holmes. I also read that Holmes was often a healthy scratch.

Also, regarding Phil Costa, I would actually have preferred re-signing Mike McGlynn to play center than sign the Cowboys castoff.

I hope Holmes get a shot at the job. I feel much better about Khaled Holmes as our center than I do about Phil Costa as our center. It just seems to me that the team has no faith in Holmes as the center. Satele was ineffective and injured at various points last season. They moved Mike McGlynn to center instead of playing Holmes. I also read that Holmes was often a healthy scratch.

Also, regarding Phil Costa, I would actually have preferred re-signing Mike McGlynn to play center than sign the Cowboys castoff.

I attribute that entirely to the fact that Holmes was a rookie.  I'm under the impression that Grigson is especially leery of having a rookie in charge of recognizing and calling out our protection.  After a year on the bench, Holmes should be ready to handle more duties.