Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shields re-signs with Green Bay [Merge]

That's a lot of money, and since Vontae is considered better than Shields by many he's likely asking for 4 years 40+ mil. That's too much money for a CB that's as inconsistent as Davis. 

Let's sign a stop gap CB like Browner to a 2 year deal. Then go CB in the 2nd or 3rd round this year and CB in 1st or 2nd next year.

Crap. This drives Davis' market value to well over $10M a year.

Yup, now I can understand why a deal hasn't been made yet. That's simply to much money tied up in one DB.

10 mil or more? That's Jimmy Graham money. That's money you play for elite CB play. No way Vontae is worth that much.

Give me Browner, Thurmond or Tillman instead of overpaying.

4 years, 39 million. That takes care of that. Vontae will get his buck, seems like he's becoming more and more vital to us

His signing bonus is only $12.5 million but I don't know if he has other money that is considered guaranteed, which means he might not end being paid $39 million.. Grimes contract is for four years at $32 million but $16 is guaranteed. What does that mean for what it will take the Colts to sign Davis? A lot of these contracts are structured in a way that teams will never pay out the full amount because they either release the player towards the end of the contract or they renegotiate.  I think it's about how much money is guaranteed in the first two to three years. 

We better do something or were gonna get shredded next year in the passing game. We may improve our run D but Our Pass D is gonna plummit if we don't do something. This is getting pretty worryisome right now honestly.

You can't pay an inconsistent DB like Davis 10+ mil a year. He'd be the 2nd highest paid DB in the entire NFL! 

Grigson needs to let Davis walk and sign Browner to a 2 year deal or Thurmond to a 3-4 year deal. Then go CB in round 2 in this year's draft or CB in round 1 or 2 next year.

We can't have 10+ mil tied up in one CB - unless his name is Revis or Sherman.

You can't pay an inconsistent DB like Davis 10+ mil a year. He'd be the 2nd highest paid DB in the entire NFL!

Grigson needs to let Davis walk and sign Browner to a 2 year deal or Thurmond to a 3-4 year deal. Then go CB in round 2 in this year's draft or CB in round 1 or 2 next year.

I'm not saying pay him the money, Im just saying I hope we do something to address or big holes at the CB position or were gonna be hurting next year.

So far...Grimes and Shields have been signed by there own teams.  Vontae has not.  The market may see that as the Colts not having a lot of confidence in Vontae.  That coupled with his stint in Miami may serve to actually LOWER is market value compared to the other two, who's teams obviously wanted them early.

If we and Grigs see Vontae as inconsistent and a personality issue, maybe other teams will/do as well.  The longer the colts wait to sign him, the more questions it raises with other teams.

So far...Grimes and Shields have been signed by there own teams.  Vontae has not.  The market may see that as the Colts not having a lot of confidence in Vontae.  That coupled with his stint in Miami may serve to actually LOWER is market value compared to the other two, who's teams obviously wanted them early.

If we and Grigs see Vontae as inconsistent and a personality issue, maybe other teams will/do as well.  The longer the colts wait to sign him, the more questions it raises with other teams.

Or it may be because Davis is asking for too much.

And there seems to be several good 34 DL's in FA this year.  More value there than in the draft.  

Sign 1 or 2 DL vets and get CB in round 2.

I was totally fine with him getting $10M a year, but this makes it seem like he might be looking for 13-15M. Looking around at the contracts other CBs have gotten, I feel like he could cash in. If Brandon Carr can get more than 10M a year, I would think Vontae could get significantly more. 

Or it may be because Davis is asking for too much.

Probably

I think the longer Vontae is not re-signed by the colts, the lower his value goes.  The Colts not signing Davis ASAP might give other teams pause.

Some poker going on here?

I was totally fine with him getting $10M a year, but this makes it seem like he might be looking for 13-15M. Looking around at the contracts other CBs have gotten, I feel like he could cash in. If Brandon Carr can get more than 10M a year, I would think Vontae could get significantly more. 

13-15 mil?! That's a freaking joke! That's QB money, elite CB (Revis, Sherman) or elite pass rush money.

There's no way we should pay that. Just because Jerry Jones overpays that severely for CBs doesn't mean we should. Let the Raiders or another dysfunctional franchise do that.

13-15 mil?! That's a freaking joke! That's QB money, elite CB (Revis, Sherman) or elite pass rush money.

There's no way we should pay that. Just because Jerry Jones overpays that severely for CBs doesn't mean we should. Let the Raiders or another dysfunctional franchise do that.

I don't want to pay that for him either lol, but Shields contract sure does drive Davis' value well over $10M/Y. It sucks that we had to give up a second for him. He is far too inconsistent to be making Revis money. 

Yup. Either we overpay for a good Cb and screw ourselves in the future or we don't get Any good/decent cb and become a mockery on defense..also screws us for the future.

You should have watched the Colts in the Playoffs. With Davis they gave up 87 points. Not a MOCKERY level Huh!

We NEED Lots of help on D to be Average.

No, no, no......   take a deep breath.....    I'd be beyond stunned if Vontae was asking for that kind of money.

In fact, if he is,  I'd guess we'd publicly come out and say there's little chance Vontae returns to the Colts.

The 13-15m figures are wildly inflated.

We might not re-sign him, but whoever does will not be signing him to that kind of contract....    I'm quite confident of that.

And if I'm wrong -- and I easily could be -- I'd guess the stories written will call that the worst contract of the 2014 Free Agent season.

You should have watched the Colts in the Playoffs. With Davis they gave up 87 points. Not a MOCKERY level Huh!

We NEED Lots of help on D to be Average.

I saw our team in the playoffs.Pats molested us but the chiefs got us early because we were playing Toler with like a torn groin. 2Nd half our d became shutdown. We need Davis back.

This $ is surprising considering the Packers aren't starved for talent at CB. Also seems a bit odd for GB as they don't seem to usually be big players in FA, I know he was one of their own, but still. Can you imagine what RichardSherman will get next year? At this point as others have said it would seem best to let Davis walk for that kind of coin. Take that money and go get Byrd. Wait until the initial wave of FA happens and see what is left in the CB market. I really hope that if they are considering Decker that he not near the top of the wish list.