Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson Agrees To Terms With The Colts

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand people's knack against Pagano, I really do. Questionable Timeouts, bad challenges, bad 4th down decisions, starting the wrong player etc etc. But at the end of the day I think we can all agree that his players love playing for him. I've rarely seen a locker room that's as close to each other as the Colts. The "adversity" they all faced together brought them closer and laid one heck of a foundation for our dynasty to be built on. I see very bright things in the future.

D'qwell turned down more money elsewhere to come to the Colts. That's all Pags/Chud right there and a little bit of Luck. Who wouldn't want to come join the Colts? In our first 2 "rebuilding" years we have been 11-5 and with a playoff win, that's amazing for a team that was 2-14 2 years ago. I give a lot of credit to Chuck and think more people should, he was like a rookie coach last year anyways, he was gone for most of that first year. 

Now on the signing, I think it's a good one, maybe even great but we will have to wait and see.I think the money is a bit much, but that's the nature of FA. We even got $9 more cap space from league-wide increase. This is money spent that we never even thought we would have. Now cut Satele/Sheppard and we are right back where we were with even a little more. We just got another leader on that defense which is awesome and a reliable tackling machine(4th most tackles in NFL last year). 

Now go get BYRD!

I love all of this and totally agree. Except...

I still dont think 11 mil guarenteed over 2 years is "a bit much." Obviously, we wont know til we see him play if hes worth it, but it seems like a fair value for a good veteran player with a great personality and leadership, for a position that we need to get filled.

And of course if we cut Satelle and/or someone else, we can make up that extra cash. Still have PLENTY of room for our other needs.

He overpaid for Richardson now he overpaid for another Brown hope he gets this one right

Lets not do this again please. Wait til next season to make that determination on Trent.

D'Qwell Jackson's new contract makes him the 14th highest paid ILB (was 9th). Most below him are on rookies contract, so that's about right.

Makes perfect sense. Like I said, seems like a fair deal. The best deals are where both guys meet in the middle, seems like thats exactly what happened.

The cap was raised, and like it's pointed out it's essentially a 2 year deal. Think of it as if the cap hadn't been raised.

Also, if Satele is cut (very likely) it'll basically be a swap. Jackson for Satele.

Still have plenty of cap space (5th most after the Jackson signing, 4th or close to if Satele is cut) to sign Vontae and other FAs.

Does anyone have contract details.  

If most of the guaranteed money is in the first 2 year's salary then you are right.  The key number here is the signing bonus which goes for all 4 years. 

Byrd dreams again? Lol Byrd will only ce if the money is right! He already put it out there that being the highest paid safety is not enough. I don't think the Bills are that dumb just to let Byrd walk. He wanted way way too too much that's why they didn't even bother tagging him. I would much rather resign Bethea to a cap friendly deal and draft a safety. Then maybe with all the money left over we can sign One center and Two guards that can start and improve our line!

I love all of this and totally agree. Except...

I still dont think 11 mil guarenteed over 2 years is "a bit much." Obviously, we wont know til we see him play if hes worth it, but it seems like a fair value for a good veteran player with a great personality and leadership, for a position that we need to get filled.

And of course if we cut Satelle and/or someone else, we can make up that extra cash. Still have PLENTY of room for our other needs.

You're probably right. I just looked over LB money/contracts and it looks like we got him for what he's worth. Mostly rookie contracts after his. His deal is very close to Elvis Dumervil's and I think they are pretty similar players as well. Some team(s) obviously feel he's worth even more. I think all these people saying he got overpaid is getting to me haha. But yeah, once again we need to wait and see him on the field to determine if it's a good move or not.

Next on my list of FAs to get: Byrd, Dietrich-Smith, Browner.

Byrd dreams again? Lol Byrd will only ce if the money is right! He already put it out there that being the highest paid safety is not enough. I don't think the Bills are that dumb just to let Byrd walk. He wanted way way too too much that's why they didn't even bother tagging him. I would much rather resign Bethea to a cap friendly deal and draft a safety. Then maybe with all the money left over we can sign One center and Two guards that can start and improve our line!

I honestly think Byrd didn't want to stay in Buffalo period. He may take an identical contract that was offered by Buffalo, just to get out of Buffalo. Then again I have no idea.

11 mil guaranteed .. he will be 31... not that great in run defense. I hope he works out, but from what we got last year in FA and IMO payed way too much for avg players seems like we are over paying again avg player..

How appropriate that this was your 666 post. :)

Relax, we did not overpay last year and we have not with Jackson.

He should prolly be the number one target for us to be honest. Right now we don't even have a FS we got 2 SS. Also you have to think Byrd just wanted out of Buffalo he did last year too but they tagged him. So you never know he could have turned down any offer they gave him no matter how much.

I really think he just didn't want to play for the Bills anymore. Losing and playing the cold would wear down on anyone. I believe he deserves to be the highest paid safety, next to Earl Thomas, and he would be completely worth it. I'm all for drafting a safety too(Trade up and get Pryor PLEASE) though, but I really like Byrd, he's a beast and would pair up great with Landry.

I'm glad we addressed ILB in FA.  The contract seems fair for both sides.  I don't really like the fact that he'll be 31 in Sept., but he should be able to give us a at least a couple of good years, so I'm not overly concerned with this signing.  Just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Let that set in folks...

A player took less money to come and play here. -grin-

When your other options are Tennessee (not good, no QB) and Miami (A complete and utter disaster). It's a no brainer.  

Jackson is a good player and would be an upgrade but seems to be overpaid by a 3 or 4 mil. Now if this move helps us get Alex Mack i'm all for it. If your a free agent and want to get overpaid and win then the Colts is the perfect destination.

We're not getting Alex Mack

let it go.

k9AElAd.jpg

OmeNG4I.jpg

It's like 3% of our cap. Some folks need to chill the freak out.

I'm glad we addressed ILB in FA.  The contract seems fair for both sides.  I don't really like the fact that he'll be 31 in Sept., but he should be able to give us a at least a couple of good years, so I'm not overly concerned with this signing.  Just have to wait and see how it pans out.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Ehhh I'd think Daryl Smith is a better LB and would've been a better fit.

You know I agree with this one....since I said it in yesterday's thread.  

I feel we acted because we 'may have known' or had an inclination Smith will stay with the Ravens and Dansby the Cardinals.