Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson Agrees To Terms With The Colts

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know anything about him as I certainly didn't make it a point to catch Browns games, but I do know that defense hasn't been their problem and based on averages this guy is a tackling machine.  Looks like a typical Grigson signing that gets criticized early on my armchair GMs and then turns out working pretty well.  Also looks to be a huge upgrade over Angerer and Conner.  Not much not to like here IMO.

I happy looking at stats for players but some people seem to live by them. You could probably pick apart a stat for most players but in particular when a player has spent his career with mediocre talent around him I prefer to see what he's got in our uniform. And I believe Jacksons stats were better in previous years against the run too.

And he had enough options to suggest other teams saw value in recruiting him.

Jackson fits grigson a mold to a T mid level FA! Okay how much do we have left to spend after this signing?

well if the structure of the deal is 5.5 mill D'Qwells first year minus what according to Over the Caps current cap space for the Colts says we have...roughly 35. mill if my math is correct

Wonder who offered more. Maybe Denver?

I wonder the same thing, but I'd be shocked if it was Denver he turned down.  He'd get to win in Denver too.  If it was Denver he turned down, that would say huge things about how well respected Pagano is around the league.

@JimIrsay: We've agreed to terms with a new member of our defense...

@CraigKColts: @Colts have agreed to terms with a new member for the defense. Why wait until unrestricted free agency?

@KBowenColts: The @Colts have agreed to terms with D'Qwell Jackson. The 30-year old linebacker has spent all 8 of his NFL seasons with the Browns.

@KBowenColts: There is some uncertainty next to Jerrell Freeman at ILB so Jackson could fill a void there. He's also being reunited with Rob Chudzinksi.

Thanks Gavin! 35 mill plus if we cut Toler and Satele puts us back at 40 plus woohoo

Personally I'd rather keep Toler for the time being, and try to pick up a decent corner in FA, maybe a Tarrell Brown or Corey Graham or something.  Maybe take a flier on DRC or Thurmond.  See how camp shakes out.

Regardless, 35+ is still enough to re-sign Vontae AND get a guy like Mack, AND handle various smaller signings & re-signings.

I'm happy DQ landed on his feet. I must admit I'm a little surprised he went to a 3-4 team though, his best years have been in the 4-3. I'll copy paste my thoughts on him from the other day:

Jackson's a good leader and great teammate. That said, he's a good all-around player but not particularly strong in any one area. Alot of his tackles were after gains of 5+ yards.Was better in the 4-3 than the 3-4, but has never had good lateral movement and is not strong enough to shed blocks. Has certainly lost a step. Missed 26 consecutive games with separate pectoral tears.

I think DQ is a good addition to any team, especially in the locker room. Just don't expect him to be a difference maker on the field.

We did right by Dquell Jackson by releasing him early. It allowed him to make his rounds and get a very good deal for himself. I wasn't sure he was going to get that long of a deal given his recent play and age.

Here is what you will get with Dquell.

Pros

• He's played in a 3-4 so he knows the system
  • He is a leader, a show me, lead by example and vocal leader that I don't think your team has on defense. A leader in every sense of the word.
  • He still runs well, his injury history has been to his pectoral tears, don't recall him ever having knee injuries.
  • Calls all the plays, plays well in coverage.

Cons

• He was never good against the run and has regressed in recent seasons.
  • He plays smaller than his listed weight, he's not going to stand up guards in the hole, ever. 
  • Disappears once linemen get their hands on him. 
  • Not a pass rusher.

He is certainly an upgrade over what you had, at a reasonable price. 

Good luck D'quell!

I'm happy DQ landed on his feet. I must admit I'm a little surprised he went to a 3-4 team though, his best years have been in the 4-3. I'll copy paste my thoughts on him from the other day:

Jackson's a good leader and great teammate. That said, he's a good all-around player but not particularly strong in any one area. Alot of his tackles were after gains of 5+ yards.Was better in the 4-3 than the 3-4, but has never had good lateral movement and is not strong enough to shed blocks. Has certainly lost a step. Missed 26 consecutive games with separate pectoral tears.

I think DQ is a good addition to any team, especially in the locker room. Just don't expect him to be a difference maker on the field.

Based on his salary, he's not expected to be an elite difference maker.  He's expected to do his job well and not make mistakes.

Can you tell me what he is worth, and how you came to that conclusion? I'll be here holding my breath

Don't bother.  None of us have a real grasp of how the contracts really affect the salary cap. 

IMO, you can't judge how much a guy is worth until he actually plays for your team.  Only at that time can you determine if he's over or underpaid. 

We did right by Dquell Jackson by releasing him early. It allowed him to make his rounds and get a very good deal for himself. I wasn't sure he was going to get that long of a deal given his recent play and age.

Pros

• He is a leader, a show me, lead by example and vocal leader that I don't think your team has on defense. A leader in every sense of the word.
  • He still runs well, his injury history has been to his pectoral tears, don't recall him ever having knee injuries.

Cons

• He plays smaller than his listed weight, he's not going to stand up guards in the hole, ever. 
  • Not a pass rusher.

Good luck D'quell!

plays well in coverge eh?

good, that means teams might not be able to kill the Colts on those crossing routes

Personally I'd rather keep Toler for the time being, and try to pick up a decent corner in FA, maybe a Tarrell Brown or Corey Graham or something. Maybe take a flier on DRC or Thurmond. See how camp shakes out.

Regardless, 35+ is still enough to re-sign Vontae AND get a guy like Mack, AND handle various smaller signings & re-signings.

Sam shields may get around 7 mil you cut Sheppard and Toler that's 6 mil right there only 1 mil will come from our actual cap. So we need to dump Toler now and get a huge upgrade

Well we needed help at ILB regardless if this signing is good or bad only time will tell grigson adressed one of our needs now so we all should be happy. Now onto the next FA hopefully after we resign Davis. I would of preferred to resign Davis first then go after our needs but oh well

Can you tell me what he is worth, and how you came to that conclusion? I'll be here holding my breath

You dead from asphyxiation yet :P

Don't bother.  None of us have a real grasp of how the contracts really affect the salary cap. 

IMO, you can't judge how much a guy is worth until he actually plays for your team.  Only at that time can you determine if he's over or underpaid. 

Bingo, every FA's worth is easy to judge in hindsight. I'd be interested to see how the deal has been structured but it's not massive contract by any means and fills a need. 

Well we needed help at ILB regardless if this signing is good or bad only time will tell grigson adressed one of our needs now so we all should be happy. Now onto the next FA hopefully after we resign Davis. I would of preferred to resign Davis first then go after our needs but oh well

I don't think the order in which we do that is really relevant.

Besides, Jackson wasn't going to be available forever.  He was on the market right now.

Pros

Cons

• Not a pass rusher.

Good luck D'quell!

Why would they pay him all that cash if he "was never good against the run and has regressed..." ????

Well, I'm glad its 11mill guaranteed.  That means it's a 2 year deal incase it doesn't work out.  We should do this more often with low guaranteed money.  Still he's 30, i just hope he has enough speed left in his body.

I heard we had 40mill in salary this year, so i guess it gives us some room.

Based on his salary, he's not expected to be an elite difference maker.  He's expected to do his job well and not make mistakes.

And he will give you that. He was our undisputed field general for a long time, and his leadership will be difficult to replace.

Well we needed help at ILB regardless if this signing is good or bad only time will tell

I'm confident in saying that the signing will never be considered bad, as long as people temper expectations. His benefit to your locker room will be immeasurable.

No which is why many of us thought drafting a ILB would be the best decision. I like the Jackson signing just think 11 mil guaranteed for a 30 year old ILB is too much. I also think we should have made sure we re signed Vontae before getting any mid tier FA's.

Is there any starting caliber player that only makes 2.5 million per year that isn't on their first contract or have character or injury issues?

Interesting..I hope we cut Angerer now and keep McN

G, C, WR, DE, OLB and CB should be upgraded next with ILB out of the picture. And we have plenty of cap space and enough draft picks to do so.

Remember people, the signing of D'Qwell is basically our way of using the raised cap. Think of it as the cap had never been raised.

Exactly. prices will go up because of the new Cap and the expectation it is going up quite a bit more the next 2 years.

With the atheltic  McNary & Muambo? - as backups, i`m FEELING GOOD NOW about where we are at ILB. Yeehaa!

Lamar Houston PLEASE! Be a Colt!

Your right Warhawk I guess I'm just worried about Davis since FA begins very soon and no real news of resigning Davis yet. And we gave a second rounder for Davis if he wants too much money I don't want the FO to sign him no matter the money because of what we invested to get him. I'm all about cutting Toler because of injury issues but his salary compared to Grimes recent deal we got Toler for super cheap lol!

No which is why many of us thought drafting a ILB would be the best decision. I like the Jackson signing just think 11 mil guaranteed for a 30 year old ILB is too much. I also think we should have made sure we re signed Vontae before getting any mid tier FA's.

OK, so we didn't over pay you just think we should have drafted for the position. That makes much more sense. I still think we should draft one though. Freeman's deal is up next year and Jackson is old.

Your right Warhawk I guess I'm just worried about Davis since FA begins very soon and no real news of resigning Davis yet. And we gave a second rounder for Davis if he wants too much money I don't want the FO to sign him no matter the money because of what we invested to get him. I'm all about cutting Toler because of injury issues but his salary compared to Grimes recent deal we got Toler for super cheap lol!

We can easily upgrade Toler like I said above and it won't cost much for us. It would be an upgrade health wise and talent wise.

And he will give you that. He was our undisputed field general for a long time, and his leadership will be difficult to replace.

I'm confident in saying that the signing will never be considered bad, as long as people temper expectations. His benefit to your locker room will be immeasurable.

You're not from around here are you :P

Love this response from D’Qwell Jackson (@DQ52) during text exchange just now. Why the Colts? “Chuck Pagano. Great coach… Better person."

I understand people's knack against Pagano, I really do. Questionable Timeouts, bad challenges, bad 4th down decisions, starting the wrong player etc etc. But at the end of the day I think we can all agree that his players love playing for him. I've rarely seen a locker room that's as close to each other as the Colts. The "adversity" they all faced together brought them closer and laid one heck of a foundation for our dynasty to be built on. I see very bright things in the future.

D'qwell turned down more money elsewhere to come to the Colts. That's all Pags/Chud right there and a little bit of Luck. Who wouldn't want to come join the Colts? In our first 2 "rebuilding" years we have been 11-5 and with a playoff win, that's amazing for a team that was 2-14 2 years ago. I give a lot of credit to Chuck and think more people should, he was like a rookie coach last year anyways, he was gone for most of that first year. 

Now on the signing, I think it's a good one, maybe even great but we will have to wait and see.I think the money is a bit much, but that's the nature of FA. We even got $9 more cap space from league-wide increase. This is money spent that we never even thought we would have. Now cut Satele/Sheppard and we are right back where we were with even a little more. We just got another leader on that defense which is awesome and a reliable tackling machine(4th most tackles in NFL last year). 

Now go get BYRD!