Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson Agrees To Terms With The Colts

You definitely get the nod over me or anyone else who doesn't watch the Browns as much. His PFF rating says he was really good in coverage in 2013. Colts fans will get a better look at him this year. 

You forget how frequently Cleveland fans have trained themselves to look away....

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe we will. Remember, we also signed Muamba as well out of the CFL. Though he has untapped potential and could be anyhere from a starter to a bust, he's someone at the position we invested in. At best, we'll probably sign someone as an UDFA.

Im not really too sold on Muamba just yet, im excited to see what he can bring to the table but he is kinda on the smaller side for an ILB 

This eliminates drafting an inside linebacker in round 2 or 3.

I disagree.  With Jackson being 30 that is when you want to spent a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a replacement, IMO.

For analytics, I prefer Advanced NFL Stats over PFF and ANS has Jackson as the #30 LB (and this is all LBs... doesn't matter if it's a 3-4, 4-3, ILB, OLB, etc) based on the Win Probability Added (basicially meaning that how the plays he makes relate to winning games).  He's two spots below Freeman.

What you mean briancasserly? If we cut Toler we get 4 mill to spend on another CB! Toler can play and he is really good with a low salary cap. But if he is on the bench or at home on injured list why keep him? Remember a guy name Sanders great player we kept hoping he would come back and look what happen payed him top dollar for 3-4 games a season

BINGO!!!!!

-smh-

".....WOO'OOOO DREEEAAMWEAVAA......"

Let that set in folks...

A player took less money to come and play here. -grin-

...because of Pagano.  The guy that so many people want to see fired for...some stupid reason. :D

I agree. He was a bit over paid but it's similar to RJF's contract and not many people are critical on that.

Was that sarcasm?  If not then I have to ask where you've been since RJF was signed. LOL  

This signing just got better with the news that Satele has been cut. So next season we essentially swapped Satele for Jackson - a bad C for a good ILB. It's been a good day for Indy!

Links confirming Satele is gone? This would seriously make my week and its only Thursday. Lol

Has anyone heard or Austin Franklin out of NM State? He is a excellent receiver here at my university. NMSU held its pro day yesterday. "under the close scrutiny of scouts and at least one receivers coach (Indianapolis Colts)". I think the Colts should snag him in the later rounds http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24470441/pro-days-sleeper-wr-austin-franklin-impresses-at-nmsu

I couldn't agree more with the author's analysis on the free agent pool, market, and the affects of the salary cap bump. To quote, "[it's] going to be the most frustrating free agency period in years."  I don't disagree with that one bit. 

Is the Jackson signing a little more than I would have hoped?  Maybe, but it certainly doesn't appear one sided.  And with my faithlessness in this year's ILB class, I'm glad we made this move.

I dont know a ton about him. Is he good?

Really?!?!? Team captain on browns squad, number 7 in total tackles last year. Avg 9 tackles a game bro, but he had Phil Taylor and ahtuya Rubin soaking up blockers for him. Still a good linebacker!! I'm very happy it was him instead of Brandon spikes. Only 30 years old

I'm not going to give much credence to that, for two reasons.  One, using as an example, Erik Walden, they said the same thing and then pointed to his lack of production, which, coincidentally enough, was pretty much on par with several people who were paid almost twice as much last year in FA.  Second, and with my first point in mind, criticizing Grigson for overpaying for FA's seems to be the trendy, mainstream thing to do.  You're always taking risks for FAs, but you're paying a guy for what he could bring to the table, the risk being that he not only fits your scheme, but can play well in it (or playing well enough to earn his pay). 

What I'll never understand, is people often judge a FA signing before he even plays a down with the next team based ONLY on what his numbers were with the previous team.  That's like saying a team who was bad last year can't be good next year.  It doesn't make any sense.  Now, if by the endo f the year, a team that was bad last year finishes terribly the following year, then you can say they are a bad team.  Same with FA signings.  You just simply can't know if a guy is overpaid until he proves it one way or the other.

I 99% agree with you, but I do think it's possible to have a guy be successful for his new team but still overpaid.  Same thing with drafting.  For example, Tom Brady was obviously a huge get in the 6th round.  That production would be tremendous had the Pats taken him in the 5th round too.  Technically they would have drafted him too high since they were able to get him in the 6th.  That being said, in no way did we overpay, especially if it's true that he turned down more money elsewhere.  I'm also completely with you on people judging a guy before he's played a down for us.  I for one am looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Colts uniform!

"One thing that attracted me here was the fact that I feel like it's a family environment," Jackson said during a conference call Thursday afternoon. "Everyone is on the same page and everyone has the same goals in mind and that's whatever needs to be done to win the Super Bowl."

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/4432/dqwell-jackson-on-colts-everyone-is-on-the-same-page

Also, Chud was a big part of his decision as expected.

More like two years, $11m. And that's assuming the whole $11m is fully guaranteed. Part of that might only be guaranteed for injury. Have to wait until more details are released, which might not be for a while. 

2 years?  Where did the 4 yr. 22 million come from?  I thought that was being reported?

2 years?  Where did the 4 yr. 22 million come from?  I thought that was being reported?

I think some are speculating that there was no signing bonus and the 11 mill guaranteed is all or at least mostly his first two year's base salary being guaranteed. If true , it pretty much does make it a 2 year contract.

Yeah, the deal is four years, $22m. But the guaranteed money is likely limited to the first two years, so it's really probably just a two year deal. We'll see when the details come up...

I think some are speculating that there was no signing bonus and the 11 mill guaranteed is all or at least mostly his first two year's base salary being guaranteed. If true , it pretty much does make it a 2 year contract.

There is most certainly a signing bonus - that speculation is premature - but the impact of the guaranteed money is the same, and very fair mutually for a player of his ability.  As long as we carry over the cap savings from the pro-rated portion, the total cap impact is identical whether there is a signing bonus or not.

I disagree.  With Jackson being 30 that is when you want to spent a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a replacement, IMO.

For analytics, I prefer Advanced NFL Stats over PFF and ANS has Jackson as the #30 LB (and this is all LBs... doesn't matter if it's a 3-4, 4-3, ILB, OLB, etc) based on the Win Probability Added (basicially meaning that how the plays he makes relate to winning games).  He's two spots below Freeman.

Perfect situation to spend a 3rd rounder on Shayne Skov (or better yet, Borland if he was there in the 3rd). They are both immediate type impact guys but they could be used as run down defenders with Jackson being the guy on coverage downs while the young guy develops his pass coverage and NFL awareness.

haha boy it would be nice if we could sign players for a buck

I would just like to hear the conversation between a G.M. and a Player for a $1 contract.

Not only that  CF12 & corgi, is the contract restructured down to 50 cents or 25 cents the following year in a scenario like that? Only teasing man!