Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson Agrees To Terms With The Colts

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the signing, but not the 5.5 cap hit

That has not been confirmed yet. We dont know how this deal actually affects this years cap. But it does make sense to have the bigger portion of it hit this year since we have so much room, but idk if its even set up that way. We'll see.

The cap was raised, and like it's pointed out it's essentially a 2 year deal. Think of it as if the cap hadn't been raised.

Also, if Satele is cut (very likely) it'll basically be a swap. Jackson for Satele.

Still have plenty of cap space (5th most after the Jackson signing, 4th or close to if Satele is cut) to sign Vontae and other FAs.

Ok, cool.

We have a thread about him http://forums.colts.com/topic/26797-browns-release-lb-dqwell-jackson/

In it I said: "Remember, Cleveland still has a lot of cap room and they were willing to let him walk. Sounds like he is a likable, classy guy but not necessarily a force at the line. Apparently he was rated by PFF as the 7th worst ILB against the run last year. Most of his tackles came downfield and it sounds like he is better suited to a 4/3. Just what I'm reading from Cleveland fans."

To be fair, he was set to count $9.4M against the cap this year.  That's not good value.  If we were paying him that, I'd expect to cut him too.

I'm happy to pay him what we're paying him too,

Given the structure and Grigson's history, I'm sure it's close to $5.5M per year and the first two years are guaranteed.

did the Colts overpay a little bit? of course, it's free agency that that's what happens....but the real question is,  did the Colts get an upgrade at the ILB position? and that answer is a big yes too

now I just hope he's not bitten by the Colts injury bug curse

11 mil guaranteed .. he will be 31... not that great in run defense. I hope he works out, but from what we got last year in FA and IMO payed way too much for avg players seems like we are over paying again avg player.. I know it is FA and the two go hand in hand , but I would rather see us spend more money to fewer players that will have a greater impact... .... but that's IMO hope they show me wrong...

I am a concerned that we will OverPay for Decker in a year that has one of the best WR corps in years.... 

The run defense ranking is a bit worrisome, but it is effectively a two year deal so it will not hurt us to bad if he turns out to still be bad against the run.

It is an upgrade over what we had last year so we should not be to worried pushing Angerer out.  I am sure they will still look in the draft as Jackson is not that young.

well 2 things: its lots of money but lets be honest...the only money that really matters is the guaranteed money. he is not getting that much money, much like Waldens contract, looks like a 2 year deal.

the other thing is we are getting older at the D. Redding, mathis jackson, bethea,  i understand landry and RJF and vontae are not old but i think we should have more young playmakers on D.

Actually for once that's not a bad contract. And of he plays up to his incentives I don't have a problem with him making his money.

I've heard good things, a defensive leader, good motor, experienced in a 3-4. I like it.

Just wanting a Vontae announcement now!

Holy guacamole.

That's a lot of money... I wanted us to sign him, but boy I'm not sure he's worth that much...

looks like the Colts are overpaying FA's  again...  Pat Mac just said it was a good move for the Colts on NFL Network

Jackson is a good player and would be an upgrade but seems to be overpaid by a 3 or 4 mil. Now if this move helps us get Alex Mack i'm all for it. If your a free agent and want to get overpaid and win then the Colts is the perfect destination.

11 mil guaranteed .. he will be 31... not that great in run defense. I hope he works out, but from what we got last year in FA and IMO payed way too much for avg players seems like we are over paying again avg player.. I know it is FA and the two go hand in hand , but I would rather see us spend more money to fewer players that will have a greater impact... .... but that's IMO hope they show me wrong...

I am a concerned that we will OverPay for Decker in a year that has one of the best WR corps in years.... 

There's a thread just for you guys...

http://forums.colts.com/topic/26933-the-consolidated-we-overpaid-for-player-x-thread/page-2

:D

Roughly 3 mil a year and people are already complaining. Why am I not surprised?

Just curious how you get 3 mil/ yr from 22 million over 4 years, with 11 million guaranteed?  I'm sure much or all of that guaranteed mney will be paid within the first two years.  So if he sticks, his base salary will still be 5.5 million in years 3 and 4.  Same amount earned as in years 1 and 2. And if he sticks, it is likely the team feels he was worth ever cent.

What isn't determined, is how Grigson is configuring the deal for Cap purposes.

I happy looking at stats for players but some people seem to live by them. You could probably pick apart a stat for most players but in particular when a player has spent his career with mediocre talent around him I prefer to see what he's got in our uniform. And I believe Jacksons stats were better in previous years against the run too.

I'm really excited by this signing! D'Qwell is a veteran ILB who piles up tackles, is fairly durable and apparently is a good leader. Sounds like he'll fit in just fine with our locker room. He's a big upgrade over who we had and lets our young guys develop and learn. Meanwhile, Jackson & Freeman is a pretty exciting duo at ILB. I know he'll only be here for a few years, but that's one big hole filled. Good signing Grigson!

I like the fact that he's averaged 139 tackles & 3 sacks over the past three years.

Just curious how you get 3 mil/ yr from 22 million over 4 years, with 11 million guaranteed?  I'm sure much or all of that guaranteed mney will be paid within the first two years.  So if he sticks, his base salary will still be 5.5 million in years 3 and 4.  Same amount earned as in years 1 and 2. And if he sticks, it is likely the team feels he was worth ever cent.

What isn't determined, is how Grigson is configuring the deal for Cap purposes.

Expect a cap hit right at/around $5.5M per year.

Jackson is a good player and would be an upgrade but seems to be overpaid by a 3 or 4 mil. Now if this move helps us get Alex Mack i'm all for it. If your a free agent and want to get overpaid and win then the Colts is the perfect destination.

Is there any starting caliber player that only makes 2.5 million per year that isn't on their first contract or have character or injury issues?