Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts officially did NOT use franchise tag on any player

TKnight24

@KBowenColts: The 4:00 p.m. EST deadline has passed to use the franchise tag. The @Colts did not use it after tagging Pat McAfee last season.

So, who gets signed to a deal?

I believe Pat Angerer is among the player's who'll be walking out the door empty handed

Regarding the Colts list of free agents, I don't really care if the resign any of them.

I'd just as well see them move in a different direction.

You don't care about Vonate? You'd wanna go back to the dark days of Vaughn being #2 or #1 CB? really?

I can't go back to those days, I just can't

Everyone here thinks Davis is so valuable.

Personally I thought he was lousy last year.

I'd rather Alterraun Verner or someone else.

Well he wasnt lousy. He is one of the better corners in the league. If the colts lose him to FA they have big problems

I'd rather Alterraun Verner or someone else.

He's inconsistent, but a shutdown corner when he plays well. He's not lousy. He's one of the better corners in the league, and one of the better ones that the Colts have had. He's our #1 CB, and getting rid of him would make our defense regress. Verner is going to command more money than Davis and he's not close to Davis in terms of press.

Well he wasnt lousy. He is one of the better corners in the league. If the colts lose him to FA they have big problems

I'd rather Alterraun Verner, Talib or someone else.

Isn't Talib the one with the hip problems? And struggles in coverage against the small & quick WR's?

I don't think Vontae is worth the Franchise tag costs.  However we should make certain to re-sign him and McAfee too.

Hope they hurry up, they are running out of time.

Not like there was any chance he was going to play on the tag. At least if you tag him you have more time to negotiate.

I thought he was a roller coaster. Not sure teams went away from him and attacked the other side because we was not as strong on the other side of the D. I thought he lacked  consistently, good for two or three games , poor for three our four games. He failed to be consistent. I know cornerback is a what have you done for me lately, but consistency was lacking. that may have been why Miami gave up on him. I do believe we need other parts for our team, and losing him could prolong our ability to get better in other areas, but I struggle with Davis being a top tier corner. And I struggle giving him top tier money.

He's inconsistent, but a shutdown corner when he plays well. He's not lousy. He's one of the better corners in the league, and one of the better ones that the Colts have had. He's our #1 CB, and getting rid of him would make our defense regress. Verner is going to command more money than Davis and he's not close to Davis in terms of press.

I agree that he is not lousy but he is not even close to being a shut down corner back....

From my observations, Davis struggled in coverage most of last year.

Most of the passes thrown his way were completed. Rarely makes a pick or knocks a pass away. 

To add context to your over simplified statement.  Where does he rank among CB's in relation to how many times he was thrown to.  Im fairly certain he is one of the top CB's in that regards.  Meaning he wasnt thrown to often.  That means that the ONLY time they were throwing to him is when he did get beat.  Otherwise, our other CB's were thrown to more often than Vontae was, which means he was our strongest CB on the team. 

You are by far a part of the minority when it comes to analyzing Davis' skill and value at the CB position.  Or all the NFL experts and analysts are wrong.  I'll take the former.

I'd rather Alterraun Verner, Talib or someone else.

gtbEcTw.gif

I'll give you that Davis was a little inconsistent at times, but not lousy? Psshhh. Besides, Talib is only good during the regular season. He "gets hurt" in the big games. Verner is pretty good, but I'd rather go after Sam Shields for the money. 

I will agree that Toler blows, and I've said that since day one.... he is the one that needs replaced.