Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnny Manziel measures in at 5 ft 11" 207 lbs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise Carr isn't throwing. Probably doesn't want people to realize how bad he is.

I'd say that may be the same reason Manziel isn't throwing. I don't know where people are getting he has a strong arm but from what I've seen of him...he don't! It might be strong on 20 yd. throws but anything beyond that...it don't look strong to me.

You do know that Luck didn't throw, right?

I actually do...his pro day was pretty awesome though with 65 yarders against the Palo Alto wind.   :)

I know like Luck. Manziel is a solid 1-3 pick....but the combine is to show one's 'arsenal' so to speak.  I think unless one is injured they should be required to  participate in drills.  My opinion...and it counts for ZILCH!!   :spit:

I'd say that may be the same reason Manziel isn't throwing. I don't know where people are getting he has a strong arm but from what I've seen of him...he don't! It might be strong on 20 yd. throws but anything beyond that...it don't look strong to me.

I also envision the roll to the left/right....throwing on the run...smashed by an OLB or DE in his 'little legs' near future.  My guess is first a shoulder injury.

I actually do...his pro day was pretty awesome though with 65 yarders against the Palo Alto wind.   :)

I know like Luck. Manziel is a solid 1-3 pick....but the combine is to show one's 'arsenal' so to speak.  I think unless one is injured they should be required to  participate in drills.  My opinion...and it counts for ZILCH!!   :spit:

You think that because you're a fan and want to watch.  The GMs don't care and there is nothing to be gained by them throwing.

You think that because you're a fan and want to watch.  The GMs don't care and there is nothing to be gained by them throwing.

Maybe they notice a flaw in the throwing motion.  Maybe less zip than expected.  Some may have developed bad habits/footwork issues.

No doubt I am a fan.  I think I disagree on the GMs though. .  Am I just Old School?  If I am a GM I want to see a player who WANTS to work out and will be relentless in his efforts to make himself better.  OK...YES I am Old School!! :lecture:  :bossy:

Maybe they notice a flaw in the throwing motion.  Maybe less zip than expected.  Some may have developed bad habits/footwork issues.

No doubt I am a fan.  I think I disagree on the GMs though. .  Am I just Old School?  If I am a GM I want to see a player who WANTS to work out and will be relentless in his efforts to make himself better.  OK...YES I am Old School!! :lecture:  :bossy:

There is plenty of tape for them to look at to see flaws.  I wouldn't throw unless I had a lot of doubts about my arm and accuracy and needed to prove something.  Putting yourself in an uncontrolled environment where you don't know what routes you'll be throwing or who you'll be throwing them to is foolish, and something they would never be asked to do as a pro.

There is plenty of tape for them to look at to see flaws.  I wouldn't throw unless I had a lot of doubts about my arm and accuracy and needed to prove something.  Putting yourself in an uncontrolled environment where you don't know what routes you'll be throwing or who you'll be throwing them to is foolish, and something they would never be asked to do as a pro.

Not going to argue...I feel totally different than you.  I would not pick you either.  If you think the Combine is foolish, you are a problem.  No interview either...no respect for the NFL at 18..19... I do not need you.  Enjoy Jacksonville!!   :funny:

I know like Luck. Manziel is a solid 1-3 pick....but the combine is to show one's 'arsenal' so to speak. 

The combine is there to improve your draft stock; teams have seen your 'arsenal' by your entire career.  Want to show off measurable athleticism?  Run/jump/drill.  Want to clear up misconceptions?  Interview.  Otherwise, if you're looking at a high pick, why risk it?  There's nothing to be gained and a lot to lose.

Most elite QB prospects don't throw at the combine, don't blame em either. Think about it you're in this high pressure environment throwing to unknown targets versus denying throwing there to throw at your pro day to familiar targets in a comfortable environment. I'd choose not to throw if I was a cool kid too haha.

The combine is there to improve your draft stock; teams have seen your 'arsenal' by your entire career.  Want to show off measurable athleticism?  Run/jump/drill.  Want to clear up misconceptions?  Interview.  Otherwise, if you're looking at a high pick, why risk it?  There's nothing to be gained and a lot to lose.

I am just having fun bavanlan.  As always I am stating my personal opinion.  I personally am not a fan of any of the QB stock this year.  I did love watching Bridgewater at LOU.  Manziel...not so much and I know he is exciting.

I see Kenny wrote something above too.  Other than Manziel and Bridgewater I feel there is not such a thing as a high profile QB this year....David Carr?  NEWWWWW!  And he ain't throwin.'  :)

Russell Wilson actually helps Manziel's cause.  RW's size was the only reason he was not drafted in round 1. If he had same intangibles to go with a 6'1" height, RW would have been a round 1 pick, hands down.

Hard to argue with that....and I hope Houston takes the bait and drafts him over Clowney.

Because I think the undersized Manziel, like RGIII and Michael Vick, is going to get relentlessly clobbered and maimed at the NFL level.

Hard to argue with that....and I hope Houston takes the bait and drafts him over Clowney.

Because I think the undersized Manziel, like RGIII and Michael Vick, is going to get relentlessly clobbered and maimed at the NFL level.

Unless he goes to a team with a smart coach that asks him not to do too much running around and surrounds him with a good running game and D. To me, the Jags fit the bill and might be an unlikely suitor though I think if Clowney is still on the board, Jags go with him and Garropollo in the 2nd.

Unless he goes to a team with a smart coach that asks him not to do too much running around and surrounds him with a good running game and D. To me, the Jags fit the bill and might be an unlikely suitor though I think if Clowney is still on the board, Jags go with him and Garropollo in the 2nd.

Could be....Manziel just strikes me as a lot less disciplined a QB than Wilson.

It just seems like he made a lot of plays an adventure....which got him a lot of highlights at A&M but I don't think he can get away with in the NFL. 

I'm hoping the Texans just take him and then St. Louis threads the needle and snags Clowney before Jacksonville can.

We shall see.

no..i said he looks too short to be 6ft..you don't have to have good eyes to tell if someone is short or not....everybody else that's been telling me he's 6ft even must have that "eye" you're talking about...

He was a 1/4" shy of what you said he wasn't.  Like I said, quite the eye.

I always hated when QBs choose not to throw at the combine.  I mean, I guess there's no real substitute for game film, but still...

Problem is that if you are already expected to be a top pick you can't really do anything but hurt yourself by doing something like that.  At this point the only thing people are looking for in these QB's is reasons NOT to draft them high.  The game film gives them reasons to draft them high.  

Honestly I think the NFL should just make it mandatory unless you are injured to do all of the events.  That way it takes this sort of thing out of the hands of the agents who understandably don't want to see their players do something that can't help them.

I always hated when QBs choose not to throw at the combine.  I mean, I guess there's no real substitute for game film, but still...

I am sure he will throw at his pro day and it makes sense why these QBs do not throw. You are throwing to guys you have never worked with. With the pro day you are typically throwing to guys you have played with which will help you look better.

Read Manziel wasn't throwing at Pro day either.Must think very highly of himself.Problem is do the GMs.

Read Manziel wasn't throwing at Pro day either.Must think very highly of himself.Problem is do the GMs.

i agree with Valpo...make it mandatory.

If I am a GM, I want to see that QB a little bit uncomfortable with their surroundings and making different throws....not just by their design.  Just like a day in the park at Arrowhead and Seattle's CenturyLink Field.  Easy places to play right?  :)

I can't wait until De'Anthony Thomas, and I believe 2 other guys run their 40's..Two are predicted to break into the 4.2 range,,,I can't remember the other two..but some are saying Chris Johnson's 4.24 is in jeopardy...

Also, I like watching the linemen do reps at 225 or 250..whatever the standard is...that's just insane how strong these guys really are.

I wish these guys would throw, unless they are injured, but I see their point. They would be taking a chance on having a bad day, and their stock decrease.