Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Johnny Manziel measures in at 5 ft 11" 207 lbs.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually do...his pro day was pretty awesome though with 65 yarders against the Palo Alto wind.   :)

I know like Luck. Manziel is a solid 1-3 pick....but the combine is to show one's 'arsenal' so to speak.  I think unless one is injured they should be required to  participate in drills.  My opinion...and it counts for ZILCH!!   :spit:

He even threw a 75 yarder into the wind. 

Problem is that if you are already expected to be a top pick you can't really do anything but hurt yourself by doing something like that.  At this point the only thing people are looking for in these QB's is reasons NOT to draft them high.  The game film gives them reasons to draft them high.  

Honestly I think the NFL should just make it mandatory unless you are injured to do all of the events.  That way it takes this sort of thing out of the hands of the agents who understandably don't want to see their players do something that can't help them.

I am sure he will throw at his pro day and it makes sense why these QBs do not throw. You are throwing to guys you have never worked with. With the pro day you are typically throwing to guys you have played with which will help you look better.

Right, and I understand all that.  To me, it just seems kinda silly to have it at all if it's not mandatory and the majority of QBs opt out of it.  If anything, modify the event such that it removes the familiarity with teammates aspect.  Like something Madden-esque, hitting pop up dummies or moving targets, something that is more objective, fair and the same for every body. 

Right, and I understand all that.  To me, it just seems kinda silly to have it at all if it's not mandatory and the majority of QBs opt out of it.  If anything, modify the event such that it removes the familiarity with teammates aspect.  Like something Madden-esque, hitting pop up dummies or moving targets, something that is more objective, fair and the same for every body. 

Or....send them DHB.  Every one will have equal opportunity drops added to their resume.... :lol:

Or....send them DHB.  Every one will have equal opportunity drops added to their resume.... :lol:

Man we are so bad to that guy on here, I almost feel bad - but then I remember how many big time drops (some game altering) that he had.  I really had high hopes for him, too.  thought it was potentially a QB issue that contributed to his problems.  Alas, such is life. 

Man we are so bad to that guy on here, I almost feel bad - but then I remember how many big time drops (some game altering) that he had.  I really had high hopes for him, too.  thought it was potentially a QB issue that contributed to his problems.  Alas, such is life. 

I had to say it even though I was all for him too OPC.

This just in on Manziel.....10 ft tall!  HA HA!  Out of Houston....

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcva8?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl-draft

Correction, the majority of QB's throw at the Combine.  Because the majority of QB's arn't gonna be drafted in the first round and will do anything they can to try and make a name for themselves and move up the draft boards.

It's the top picks that don't throw.  

But I agree with you though.  It's sort of weird that this is something you only hear about with QB's.  You don't see top WR's refusing to run the gauntlet or something like that.  

Correction, the majority of QB's throw at the Combine.  Because the majority of QB's arn't gonna be drafted in the first round and will do anything they can to try and make a name for themselves and move up the draft boards.

It's the top picks that don't throw.  

But I agree with you though.  It's sort of weird that this is something you only hear about with QB's.  You don't see top WR's refusing to run the gauntlet or something like that.  

Since we're on the topic of QBs, I'm really liking Jimmy Garoppolo.  If I'm Houston, I'm hoping Garropolo's stock doesn't rise.  Great way to justify getting both Jadevon and a potentially solid pro style QB.

Russell Wilson actually helps Manziel's cause. RW's size was the only reason he was not drafted in round 1. If he had same intangibles to go with a 6'1" height, RW would have been a round 1 pick, hands down.

Russell Wilson is a well built athlete that looks like he can take some punishment. Manziel looks like a frat kid who works out some. I don't know how Manziel makes it through a season.

Since we're on the topic of QBs, I'm really liking Jimmy Garoppolo.  If I'm Houston, I'm hoping Garropolo's stock doesn't rise.  Great way to justify getting both Jadevon and a potentially solid pro style QB.

What round is he expected to go in?

Any chance we pick up this guy late and have him back up Luck for 3 or 4 years on the cheap?

Early 2nd round.

Ahh no then.   If we're looking for a backup then we need to get someone 4th round or after.

Which on that topic I was looking at Walterfootball.com and it said we interviewed or are interviewing Logan Thomas at the combine.  QB for Virginia Tech.  

Ahh no then.   If we're looking for a backup then we need to get someone 4th round or after.

Which on that topic I was looking at Walterfootball.com and it said we interviewed or are interviewing Logan Thomas at the combine.  QB for Virginia Tech.  

Logan Thomas is probably going to play TE in the NFL. I doubt they are considering him for a backup QB spot.

What round is he expected to go in?

Any chance we pick up this guy late and have him back up Luck for 3 or 4 years on the cheap?

Depends on where you're looking.  CBSsports grades him out as a 2nd rounder, ESPN in the 3rd, and WalterFootball 3rd to the 5th.  For the most part, it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and seems to play well under pressure, above average to very good arm strength, release, accuracy.  The knack on him is his level of competition since he played in a lower collegiate level (E. Illinois Panthers, Ohio Valley Conference), and he can get happy feet and bail on the pocket to soon at times.  I wanna get some film on the kid, but haven't really had much of a chance to do so yet.

Various thoughts on an interesting thread...

Wherever he's drafted, Manziel should send a small chunk of his signing bonus to Wilson!   RW proved you can succeed in the NFL even as an undersized QB.

That said, one poster said it well noting Wilson is 5'10" and 5/8 and is put together well at 204.    He can take a hit.

Manziel is an inch and an 8th taller and roughly the same weight at 207 and looks almost frail by comparison.  Can he take the NFL punishment that his game invites?

Manziel does have very, very big hands... (good for the future Mrs. Manziel, if you know what I mean?! :thmup: )   and that's important.    His hands are almost as big as Luck's...    9 7/8's for Manziel, and 10 and an 8th, or a quarter for Luck.

I'm not in love with any of this year's QB's coming into the NFL...    I'm **not** saying none of them will be successful,  but none are obvious to me.   I think one or two will pan out and be quite good.    I just don't know who?   It wouldn't surprise me if the first round kids aren't great and someone from the 2nd round on down turns out to be pretty good...   like Kaepernick and Dalton and Wilson...    hey, sometimes that just happens....

Pretty easy to tell he was closer to Russel Wilsons height then above that and no he dont have an arm like Russell Wilson but if Manziel can harness his playmaking ability with his feet and not use them to scramble alot yet do it more like Wilson does on an as needed basis and also isn't asked to carry the load from the jump he could develop into a solid productive QB in the NFL, If he goes to a team that makes him carry the load from the start then I expect he will be in trouble until he learns to play from the pocket better....But of course he still will be hell to contain when backyard football style plays breakout....They will often the first couple years. He also has to learn to channel some of his sideline outbursts more towards going over plays and looks the defense is giving ya or gathering his teammates up making sure they are on the same page.....If he can develop that over a fairly short amount of time then I think he will succeed(he had a couple outbursts on the sidelines in college cameras zoned in on)

If the texans pass on teddy they are stupid and if the rams pass too they are stupid as well

The Texans would be foolish to pass on Clowney.  Most scouts raise some concerns about his work ethic, but he's still a kid and is still developing in that area.  None of these QB's are worth passing up this kid.

The Texans would be foolish to pass on Clowney. Most scouts raise some concerns about his work ethic, but he's still a kid and is still developing in that area. None of these QB's are worth passing up this kid.

Teddy is most accurate had only 3 fumbles this season and weighs more then ppl thought he would he isn't luck but he is prolly better then RG3 and he was either goin 1st or 2nd

Russell Wilson is a well built athlete that looks like he can take some punishment. Manziel looks like a frat kid who works out some. I don't know how Manziel makes it through a season.

I wonder what the Over/Under is on how many games he survives before some big ol' DE gets to Johnny Football and turns him into Johnny Pretzel.

He is huge...can he catch the ball?  I know he is athletic as heck for that Culpepper size of his....

Sorry I didn't respond to this, I didn't notice it til just now.

He was recruited as a TE coming out of high school so his hands should be at least somewhat respectable.

I haven't seen all of Manziel's games, but it seems like most of his success came on garbage plays. Nice for college, but they probably can't be counted on in the NFL.

Can he be accurate when throwing from the pocket? Its nice to have a QB that can scramble for a needed first down, or even to whirl around, hop, reverse field, whirl again and chuck one downfield to a wide open receiver, but a real NFL passing game requires the QB to be accurate from the pocket.

In long term, I think Bortles will be the best QB in this class. He has a strong arm, good size, high football IQ, and just enough athletism to be a successful NFL QB.

Bridgewater is the most NFL ready right now. But I like Bortles over the rest of the class.

See I'm not sure I buy into this.  Can you name me an instance where over the long run the best QB out of a draft class wasn't also the most NFL ready guy?  

The only time I can think of is MAYBE Aaron Rodgers over Alex Smith in the 2005 draft.  And even then I'm not sure if anyone was saying that Smith was more NFL ready then Rodgers, it just turned out that Rodgers landed in a situation where he had to sit a few years.  

http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster.html

Russell Wilson is 5'11", 206 lbs. I understand RW is a multi-sport athlete that has wheels. Manziel looks like a "frat" kid because people's views of him have been impacted by his off season shenanigans and his mouth, its as simple as that. Midwesterners do not like big mouths, it is just how we are.

If Manziel figures out to keep his eyes ahead using his running to throw the ball more often like RW, he will be able to do well on a team that gives him good support with the running game and D.

Guys like Michael Vick and RG3 thought they could run more than throw and get by with their athleticism. No way, not at the NFL level, they soon learnt. Manziel will not make that mistake.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster.html

Russell Wilson is 5'11", 206 lbs. I understand RW is a multi-sport athlete that has wheels. Manziel looks like a "frat" kid because people's views of him have been impacted by his off season shenanigans and his mouth, its as simple as that. Midwesterners do not like big mouths, it is just how we are.

If Manziel figures out to keep his eyes ahead using his running to throw the ball more often like RW, he will be able to do well on a team that gives him good support with the running game and D.

Guys like Michael Vick and RG3 thought they could run more than throw and get by with their athleticism. No way, not at the NFL level, they soon learnt. Manziel will not make that mistake.

Go to google images and rule in Wilson and then Manziel......they are built completely different. Manziel has probably been drinking protein shakes and porterhouses for two months to bulk up to 207.

Go to google images and rule in Wilson and then Manziel......they are built completely different. Manziel has probably been drinking protein shakes and porterhouses for two months to bulk up to 207.

I don't need to, 207 is 207, an official measurement. Now taking shots at how he got to it is what I am sensing as an obvious bias against him.

We will see how things unfold as he plays in the pros. I am sensing the same vibe out here on this forum with Manziel that I sensed with Cam Newton before the draft, anything to tear him down. I am calling it like I see it. Like I said, Manziel won't be a torch bearer or someone that carries a franchise on his back like a Brady or Peyton but give him good support like Big Ben or RW, he will make you a contender.

I don't need to, 207 is 207, an official measurement. Now taking shots at how he got to it is what I am sensing as an obvious bias against him.

We will see how things unfold as he plays in the pros. I am sensing the same vibe out here on this forum with Manziel that I sensed with Cam Newton before the draft, anything to tear him down. I am calling it like I see it. Like I said, Manziel won't be a torch bearer or someone that carries a franchise on his back like a Brady or Peyton but give him good support like Big Ben or RW, he will make you a contender.

Yes, u got me, I have a bias against some college kid. And saying he put on weight before that draft wasn't a shot at him, lots of players do it. Doesn't mean they will actually play at that weight. You sound like the people from a couple years ago saying Robert Griffin was only 10lbs lighter than Luck when he weighed in at 220.....but it was obvious when you looked at them one was much bigger than the other. You can ignore the eyeball test all you want, but Manziel has a small frame, and there is no way around it.

Yes, u got me, I have a bias against some college kid. And saying he put on weight before that draft wasn't a shot at him, lots of players do it. Doesn't mean they will actually play at that weight. You sound like the people from a couple years ago saying Robert Griffin was only 10lbs lighter than Luck when he weighed in at 220.....but it was obvious when you looked at them one was much bigger than the other. You can ignore the eyeball test all you want, but Manziel has a small frame, and there is no way around it.

Keep extrapolating, it probably does wonders for your pride in this argument.

My eyeball test says his pocket awareness is underrated and he keeps his eyes ahead looking to pass more than to run. My eyeball test says he holds on to the ball a tad too long like a Big Ben and unless he goes to a team with good run game and D support, he will have some learning lumps he will take before he wises up. My eyeball test suggests he makes ample plays in the pocket that is forgotten with his highlight reels of running.

After a few licks, he will learn that he will be doing more passing than running and he is a better passer coming out of college than RG3 was, IMO. I do believe his SEC competition has forced him to play fast enough that his transition will not be as difficult as people think it will be to the speed of the NFL.

Keep extrapolating, it probably does wonders for your pride in this argument.

My eyeball test says his pocket awareness is underrated and he keeps his eyes ahead looking to pass more than to run. My eyeball test says he holds on to the ball a tad too long like a Big Ben and unless he goes to a team with good run game and D support, he will have some learning lumps he will take before he wises up. My eyeball test suggests he makes ample plays in the pocket that is forgotten with his highlight reels of running.

After a few licks, he will learn that he will be doing more passing than running and he is a better passer coming out of college than RG3 was, IMO. I do believe his SEC competition has forced him to play fast enough that his transition will not be as difficult as people think it will be to the speed of the NFL.

My pride? Really? It not my fault you are blind or unwilling to take the 5 seconds it takes to look at a picture.

And what does your second paragraph have to do with what I said? I didn't question his skill set, I questioned his ability to take punishment in the NFL.

Sorry I didn't respond to this, I didn't notice it til just now.

He was recruited as a TE coming out of high school so his hands should be at least somewhat respectable.

No problem Mr Macklin....I think we may go for him......just Grig's kind of guy.  Very interesting...

My pride? Really? It not my fault you are blind or unwilling to take the 5 seconds it takes to look at a picture.

And what does your second paragraph have to do with what I said? I didn't question his skill set, I questioned his ability to take punishment in the NFL.

I saw the pictures. However, I do not believe he will subject himself to as much punishment as you think he will (with lesser running than he did in college). I feel he is smarter than that to know better. That is my contention. The league has seen Vick and RG3, and so have we fans, and so has he. I believe he will know better and be ready.

Heck, Luck, for all the running prowess that he has, a lot of our play calling has at least tried to protect him from those hits this year. Most play callers will be smart to do the same with him too, IMO. RG3 did not give Shanahan many options because he was not nearly as good from the pocket as a Luck, IMO. Manziel is better from the pocket than RG3 and that will allow more calls to be called from the pocket.

If I am a play caller, I call a lot of boot leg and shotgun passes for Manziel. Notice how many shotgun snaps Brees takes, allows him to survey the field better with his height. Of course, taller wideouts and clean pockets from guards help too. If, however, the OL of a team stinks it up for Manziel, yeah, he can't handle what Luck handled in year 1, I will give you that. If that happens, he will be better off taking a high sack count than the hits.

I saw the pictures. However, I do not believe he will subject himself to as much punishment as you think he will (with lesser running than he did in college). I feel he is smarter than that to know better. That is my contention. The league has seen Vick and RG3, and so have we fans, and so has he. I believe he will know better and be ready.

Heck, Luck, for all the running prowess that he has, a lot of our play calling has at least tried to protect him from those hits this year. Most play callers will be smart to do the same with him too, IMO. RG3 did not give Shanahan many options because he was not nearly as good from the pocket as a Luck, IMO. Manziel is better from the pocket than RG3 and that will allow more calls to be called from the pocket.

If I am a play caller, I call a lot of boot leg and shotgun passes for Manziel. Notice how many shotgun snaps Brees takes, allows him to survey the field better with his height. Of course, taller wideouts and clean pockets from guards help too. If the OL of a team stinks it up for Manziel, yeah, he can't handle what Luck handled in year 1, I will give you that.

Maybe, but all quarterbacks have to take some punishment and his frame would make me very nervous if I were a gm.