Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Henoc Muamba

MTC

blog.colts.com

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS SIGN LB-HENOC MUAMBA

Posted by coltsindianapolis on February 6, 2014 – 8:20 pm

The Indianapolis Colts today signed undrafted free agent linebacker Henoc Muamba.

Muamba, 6-0, 238 pounds, spent the past three seasons (2011-13) with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL) after being selected with the first overall pick in the 2011 CFL Draft. For his career, the 24-year-old recorded 171 tackles, 53 special teams stops, 4.0 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery returned for a touchdown. In 2013, Muamba was named a CFL All-Star and earned the Lew Hayman Trophy, given to the best Canadian player in the East Division. For the year, he played in all 18 games and totaled 106 tackles, 18 special teams stops, 1.0 sack and one interception. His 106 tackles ranked second overall in the CFL. Muamba was named the recipient of the 2013 Ed Kotowich ‘Good Guy’ Award, which recognizes a Blue Bomber player for their excellence in combining football ability, team camaraderie and extraordinary effort in the community.

In 2012, Muamba ranked second on the team with 65 tackles (20 solo), while recording a team-high 20 special teams stops and a career-high 3.0 sacks. He also led the league with five forced fumbles and was named the CFL’s Canadian Player of the Week twice.

Muamba played four years (2007-2010) at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. He is the school’s all-time career leader in tackles (149.5) and ranks fourth overall on the Atlantic University Sport (AUS) conference’s all-time career list. Muamba was named the AUS Defensive Player of the Year in both 2008 and 2010 and was honored with the President’s Trophy in 2010 for the top defensive player in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS). He was a three-time CIS All-Canadian and AUS defensive all-star, and participated in the 2010 East-West Bowl, which features the top CFL prospects each year.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent pick up. Great tackler, plays special teams, has Freeman potential. A little undersized for a 3-4 LB but he is definitely worth a look. 

The Blue Bombers were a bad team, but he was one of their stars and was able to handle a bad situation and extra playing time quite well. 

I think it lessens the need for an ILB. He's only 24, and now one of our major needs is gone, so we don't have to draft an ILB early.

I don't think it does, yea I root for him I like underdogs but I don't think he stops us from drafting one of the top ILB available if we had a chance. Nobody is going to say since we signed Muamba we should pass on Skov, Smallwood, Christian Jones if they are available.

Edit: pretty much to me, A CFL signing isn't going to change my view of how our draft/free agency should go. That's just me

I don't think it does, yea I root for him I like underdogs but I don't think he stops us from drafting one of the top ILB available if we had a chance. Nobody is going to say since we signed Muamba we should pass on Skov, Smallwood, Christian Jones if they are available.

Like PrincetonTiger said, it makes ILB a luxury and not a need. We don't need an ILB with this signing, but if we do draft one, I won't argue.

Like PrincetonTiger said, it makes ILB a luxury and not a need. We don't need an ILB with this signing, but if we do draft one, I won't argue.

How does a CFL signing makes a position a luxury? We signed Ceasar Rayford from the Arena league and still drafted Werner. Signings from those two leagues doesn't mean much. It's still a priority unless we sign a free agent LB

How does a CFL signing makes a position a luxury? We signed Ceasar Rayford from the Arena league and still drafted Werner. Signings from those two leagues doesn't mean much. It's still a priority unless we sign a free agent LB

Arena football is different from CFL. Rayford was also a DE, and Werner is an OLB. Muamba is the #1 pick and is an ILB. If this guy proves to actually be as good as he was in Canada, we don't need another ILB.