Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philly may not keep one of Maclin or Cooper

NewColtsFan

So....

Philly has two FA WR's...   Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper...

Their GM admits they may not be able to keep both.   One may be let go.   He's not tipping his hand, but personally, I'd be interested in either one. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/05/howie-roseman-its-a-complicated-situation-at-wide-receiver/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Riley Cooper is actually good, he had a good year this year with Foles.

Maclin on the other hand has been disappearing the last few years, I think he will be a good 3rd string receiver...but that's about it.

Plus coming back from an ACL injury it will be hard for him to come back to A+ Form.

Cooper can't separate, he can easily be shadowed with a #2. He does make tough catches in traffic though.

Maclin, however, provides value as a returner too if we take those duties away from T.Y. and is more athletic on the outside.

TY already lost his role as returner as the coaches wanted to conserve him for offense. Griff Whalen was punt returner the past 4 or 5 weeks while.... somebody else was our kick returner. 

According to reports on RotoWorld Maclin is open to a 1 year 'show me" deal

Goodbye DHB, hello Jeremy Maclin. I'm not crazy about his size, but this will only be his 5th year in the league. Not a bad rotation with Reggie, TY, Rogers, Maclin, and Brazil.......and I guess Griff if they keep 6.

TY already lost his role as returner as the coaches wanted to conserve him for offense. Griff Whalen was punt returner the past 4 or 5 weeks while.... somebody else was our kick returner. 

There you go, Maclin's value as a returner plus familiarity with Grigson should get him the "show me" Missouri deal :) (he is from the Univ. of Missouri after all).

I hope the Colts keep the stable of WR's in tact as Brazil, Whalen, & Rogers al showed improvement as the season progressed...

But with that said, releasing DHB & bringing in Maclin would not bother me at all... 

DHB doesn't need to be released.  He's a free agent and the chances of him being re-signed are zero.  

Ok...

I'm of the opinion that we need to have 6 WR's on the roster.  Rodgers, Brazil, and Whalen all showed too much promise to cut and you certainly can't get rid of Wayne or TY.  But we need someone proven in the mix.

I totally agree,

I guess I thought this thread was talking about the prospects of Maclin & Cooper. In Maclin's first 4 years he averaged around 800 yards a season vs. Cooper's 300 yard avg. in his 4 years in the league. Coming off an ACL is a big question mark, but if he has recovered from the injury & is in fact open to a cap friendly "show me" deal, & can stay healthy, he could add value to make the Colt's receiving core better (although I also understand that having two recievers coming off of ACL injuries may be less than ideal).

I guess I've only heard positives about Maclin's work ethic, off field character, etc. Maclin was the guy I had hoped Grigson was targeting back (before his ACL injury) whenever Irsay was making the insane WR tweets...

Another stud #1 WR would be awesome, but with the Colts other pressing issues  in O-Line, & Defense, adding a guy like Maclin to a WR core of Wayne, Hilton, Brazil, Whalen, & Rogers seems like a solid move, to me... 

I guess I look at a 4 year 800 yard average as a fairly proven player.

With 31 other teams looking to improve in the off season, chances are slim that any off the aforementioned WR's end up a Colt next season, but I guess if the Colts add a WR in FA they could do a lot worse than add Jeremy Maclin...

That's the issue..These are cash money boys

...High price free agent receivers usually don't live up to the bill...or the billing

It depends. The ones on mid-tier deals are not bad, especially if they want to play with a marquee QB.

Jordy Nelson is on what, 3 yrs. $14-15 mil. deal or something like that. Those kinds of deals are great value. If we went after young talent like Emmanuel Sanders, I would not be opposed to such a deal. Hey, I'd pay that to Julian Edelman in a heartbeat, he will end up being worth it by being durable and on the field in the slot in a reliable fashion, IMO.

#1 WR money, those deals are the ones I'd stay away from. #2 WR deals, I'd get them done. While Wayne is here, it might be smart to extend T.Y.Hilton now to a 4 yr. $25 mil. extension deal or something like that, which will be greater value than waiting till he hits free agency.

Riley Cooper is actually good, he had a good year this year with Foles.

Maclin on the other hand has been disappearing the last few years, I think he will be a good 3rd string receiver...but that's about it.

Plus coming back from an ACL injury it will be hard for him to come back to A+ Form.

Totally agree here, Cooper has played really well in the past few years, it would be crazy if they let him go.

I doubt Foles will repeat those stats next season and look terrific. Kaepernick looked invincible too in his first season.

Totally agree here, Cooper has played really well in the past few years, it would be crazy if they let him go.

I doubt Foles will repeat those stats next season and look terrific. Kaepernick looked invincible too in his first season.

True, usually coaches make their homework to defend against such player during the off season.

We shall see how the Eagles do this offseason, but they really need to bolster that O-Line. 

The NFC East this last year has been meh...I'm sure they will be better this year. I think teams like the Redskins will still be the last one in the bunch since they will be under a new coach.

As far as the Giants goes, who knows, one year they are SB contender, another year they are NFL's bottom-feeders. 

It depends. The ones on mid-tier deals are not bad, especially if they want to play with a marquee QB.

Jordy Nelson is on what, 3 yrs. $14-15 mil. deal or something like that. Those kinds of deals are great value. If we went after young talent like Emmanuel Sanders, I would not be opposed to such a deal. Hey, I'd pay that to Julian Edelman in a heartbeat, he will end up being worth it by being durable and on the field in the slot in a reliable fashion, IMO.

#1 WR money, those deals are the ones I'd stay away from. #2 WR deals, I'd get them done. While Wayne is here, it might be smart to extend T.Y.Hilton now to a 4 yr. $25 mil. extension deal or something like that, which will be greater value than waiting till he hits free agency.

You're right about Nelson but there are few...

....Maclin is going to want longer green....but you might get Cooper for $5 mil a year

./.and you are very right about TY....extend him now before we feature him and he puts up 1,500 yards and is unpayable