Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something I think the Colts should copy

P-Money

While listening to NFL radio this morning I heard something that Pete Carroll does that's very interesting. Every Wednesday he lets any backup player call out a starter for his spot in the starting line up. They then have a competition of different drills and such and the best player wins that spot. This keeps every player on top of his game and out of the comfort level that's let's them think they're untouchable. What's everyone's thoughts on this? I personally kinda like it as it keeps players trying to improve their skills continuously throughout the season and not get lazy.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good....and I bet it works like a charm in college, where he only has players for usually a max of 4 years.

Eventually I think it will wear thin though.

The Seahawks murdered the Broncos....fair and square....and round...and triangular.....and Carroll deserves a ton of credit. But a handful of these guys are about to see serious $$$$ offered in free agency and there is no question that even if he continues the method....it will be with different players.

The proof will be in the win column.

Homer who Ignores Reality?

Worthless type fan to be Ignored of course.

If you're referring to my ignore post....my issue with his comments is his repeated scorched-earth in correcting approach and improving the Colts.

We're all entitled to our opinions...but the opinion of "fire Grigson/Pagano/TRich" has been beaten to a pulp.

IMO, flushing the entire front office and coaching regime of a team two years into a new era...with two 11-5 records to show for it....is not my idea of "reality".

Getting better thru the draft, free agency and just plain hard-knocks learning is....but vomiting out the GM and the Head Coach after two pretty darn good seasons is absolutely ludicrous.

Two years ago the NFC West was the laughing stock of the NFL...now they have 2 powerhouse teams and 2 emerging very solid teams.

Would it kill any of these Forum whiners to have some patience?

Sounds good....and I bet it works like a charm in college, where he only has players for usually a max of 4 years.

Eventually I think it will wear thin though.

The Seahawks murdered the Broncos....fair and square....and round...and triangular.....and Carroll deserves a ton of credit. But a handful of these guys are about to see serious $$$$ offered in free agency and there is no question that even if he continues the method....it will be with different players.

The proof will be in the win column.

The proof is already in the win column. He and Schneider rebuilt the roster and coaching staff in four wins, had a dominant season and then flattened one of the best offensive teams of all time in the Super Bowl. There's nothing left to prove. His approach works.

I would think preseason would be good. Thru regular season it would kill continuity. Besides you could have a practice or skills warrior and a no show on game day..at what cost? A win? Injury?

The 2 biggest things that kill continuity quicker then keeping the same linemen in is: (in my opinion)

1.Lack of talent

2.Lack of communication

If you have both then it doesn't matter nearly as much to switch an O Lineman in if a starting O Lineman is playing like crap

By the way, something we SHOULD copy is the Seahawks' patience in rebuilding their team. They went 7-9 in Carroll's first two years there. They focused on the principles of their defense and building the trenches. They built the foundation of their team, and have added auxiliary pieces as they've gone on. They learned from their mistakes. And they stayed the course.

If you're going to compare us to the Seahawks, the Colts are AHEAD of schedule right now. Most people didn't expect them to even sniff the playoffs until Year 3. Yes, there's still a lot of work to do, and there have been mistakes made, and there needs to be some adjustments and corrections from time to time. But Grigson and Pagano have done a good job to this point, overall. 

The 2 biggest things that kill continuity quicker then keeping the same linemen in is: (in my opinion)

1.Lack of talent

2.Lack of communication

If you have both then it doesn't matter nearly as much to switch an O Lineman in if a starting O Lineman is playing like crap

Yeah, what's there to be afraid of? The cream rises, right?

By the way, I meant to say earlier that there's no reason to assume that the Colts don't do something like this from time to time themselves. Just because it hasn't received media attention doesn't mean there's no competition for starting spots.

The proof is already in the win column. He and Schneider rebuilt the roster and coaching staff in four wins, had a dominant season and then flattened one of the best offensive teams of all time in the Super Bowl. There's nothing left to prove. His approach works.

They also didn't blow a first rounder on a running back with shot knees and no breakaway speed which helped their cause and allowed them more chances to hit on draft picks in the rookie wage scale world. You win in this league by drafting, plain and simple. It's been the model of consistent, successful franchises for years. Trading first and second rounders for anything other than a potential starting quarterback is a death wish.

Will it continue though?

We've seen this with Bill Parcells and others....high-energy motivators who fire the franchise up to great things, and then the approach loses its appeal among players.

The Seahawks....as I said....deserve all the credit they are getting for this outstanding performance. My question was....will it last?

They also didn't blow a first rounder on a running back with shot knees and no breakaway speed which helped their cause and allowed them more chances to hit on draft picks in the rookie wage scale world.

No Seattle traded two picks for a running back that was considered a bust, had a bad ankle and no breakaway speed.

They also didn't blow a first rounder on a running back with shot knees and no breakaway speed which helped their cause and allowed them more chances to hit on draft picks in the rookie wage scale world. You win in this league by drafting, plain and simple. It's been the model of consistent, successful franchises for years. Trading first and second rounders for anything other than a potential starting quarterback is a death wish.

More research is in order, sir.

Have you seen what they gave up for Percy Harvin? Up until the SB, Harvin was a complete non-factor. Or how they approached free agency this year? The Seahawks have made plenty of mistakes over the course of the Carroll/Schneider administration. The key is to learn from them, and keep building.

Will it continue though?

We've seen this with Bill Parcells and others....high-energy motivators who fire the franchise up to great things, and then the approach loses its appeal among players.

The Seahawks....as I said....deserve all the credit they are getting for this outstanding performance. My question was....will it last?

I don't know how to respond to that kind of speculation. I think the fundamentals that Grigson and Pagano are building from are strong. Again, not everything is perfect, and I don't think there's any question that the Colts' brain trust has made mistakes along the way.

It's interesting that you would bring up Parcells, by the way. He had a terrible start with the Giants, and they didn't have any postseason success until Year 2. They stalled after that until Year 4, when they won the Super Bowl, similar to Carroll and the Seahawks. It takes time, everybody.

That last sentence is preposterous. I would never trade a 1st for a running back, but I would trade a high pick your a young difference maker in a heartbeat.

While listening to NFL radio this morning I heard something that Pete Carroll does that's very interesting. Every Wednesday he lets any backup player call out a starter for his spot in the starting line up. They then have a competition of different drills and such and the best player wins that spot. This keeps every player on top of his game and out of the comfort level that's let's them think they're untouchable. What's everyone's thoughts on this? I personally kinda like it as it keeps players trying to improve their skills continuously throughout the season and not get lazy.

I don't like it entirely.  Drills are not the same as the game and the idea that if a player does badly in his drills during one practice he could lose his spot seems like a bad idea.

Now if a player who's starting isn't producing or is just being routinely out practiced by his backup then I'm all for making a switch. 

But based off of one practice?  No I don't think that's a good idea.  

I don't feel most players get lazy and think they are untouchable.  Reality is that most players can be cut if they are not producing and they know that.  

How do ignore this guy?? Why does this forum make it so hard to do so>>>???

Go all the way up to the top right of the page and click on your username. You'll get a drop-down menu with "manage ignore prefs" as one of the options. Click on that, and then under "add new user to my list" on the page it takes you to you'll see a space to enter the username of the poster you wish to ignore. Don't forget to check "posts" and click save.

And yes, it would be much easier if you could just click on the UN of the poster you want to ignore and get a little drop-down menu where you could choose "ignore".

Have you seen what they gave up for Percy Harvin? Up until the SB, Harvin was a complete non-factor. Or how they approached free agency this year? The Seahawks have made plenty of mistakes over the course of the Carroll/Schneider administration. The key is to learn from them, and keep building.

Harvin had his day in the biggest game of the year. We're still waiting for Rich to punch his "every dog has his day" card. 

Harvin had his day in the biggest game of the year. We're still waiting for Rich to punch his "every dog has his day" card. 

You kidding me? Harvin hardly did anything all year, then he has a couple big plays in the SB when they probably didn't even need him. They gave up waaaaay more for Harvin than we gave up for Richardson, Harvin did less than Richardson did (even with the SB included), and they gave him $14.5m in Year 1. He's due $21.5m over the next two years. And they still owe a 4th rounder in 2014.

I'm not a fan of the Richardson trade, but just because the Seahawks won the Super Bowl that doesn't excuse them for the Harvin trade, which, IMO, was far worse. And, in response to the previous poster, who said you only give up a first or second rounder for a QB, Harvin is NOT a QB. 

That doesn't mean it's okay to make mistakes, especially big mistakes like this one. I'm just saying that, if people are going to buy into this Seahawks fever, they ought to acknowledge that the Seahawks front office and coaching staff have had miscues in their four years, including this year when they won the Super Bowl. 

By the way, something we SHOULD copy is the Seahawks' patience in rebuilding their team. They went 7-9 in Carroll's first two years there. They focused on the principles of their defense and building the trenches. They built the foundation of their team, and have added auxiliary pieces as they've gone on. They learned from their mistakes. And they stayed the course.

If you're going to compare us to the Seahawks, the Colts are AHEAD of schedule right now. Most people didn't expect them to even sniff the playoffs until Year 3. Yes, there's still a lot of work to do, and there have been mistakes made, and there needs to be some adjustments and corrections from time to time. But Grigson and Pagano have done a good job to this point, overall.

Just had to quote. Hopefully it will sink in with some.

You kidding me? Harvin hardly did anything all year, then he has a couple big plays in the SB when they probably didn't even need him. They gave up waaaaay more for Harvin than we gave up for Richardson, Harvin did less than Richardson did (even with the SB included), and they gave him $14.5m in Year 1. He's due $21.5m over the next two years. And they still owe a 4th rounder in 2014.

I'm not a fan of the Richardson trade, but just because the Seahawks won the Super Bowl that doesn't excuse them for the Harvin trade, which, IMO, was far worse. And, in response to the previous poster, who said you only give up a first or second rounder for a QB, Harvin is NOT a QB.

That doesn't mean it's okay to make mistakes, especially big mistakes like this one. I'm just saying that, if people are going to buy into this Seahawks fever, they ought to acknowledge that the Seahawks front office and coaching staff have had miscues in their four years, including this year when they won the Super Bowl.

Harbin hasn't been healthy for any game but the Superbowl and he shined.

You can't call this trade a mistake at all. Not their fault he got injured. All week people made fun of the guy "hahah harvin is going to Get concussed for getting a butt tap", well guess what? He didn't and he was a factor in this win.

:lecture::deadhorse::violin:

Harbin hasn't been healthy for any game but the Superbowl and he shined.

You can't call this trade a mistake at all. Not their fault he got injured. All week people made fun of the guy "hahah harvin is going to Get concussed for getting a butt tap", well guess what? He didn't and he was a factor in this win.

They could have kept their #1 and drafted Cordarrelle Patterson, and gotten more out of him than they got out of Harvin. And for about a quarter of the price. A couple big plays in the SB doesn't change any of that. Matter of fact, they were going to put him on IR a month ago.

The Harvin trade isn't vindicated by the SB. It was absolutely a mistake, and they absolutely did NOT get fair value out of the deal. Perhaps it will begin to balance out in their favor as more time goes on; I still think Harvin is a great player, but that was not a good trade for the Seahawks. I still think Richardson is a good player and will produce more for us as time goes on. But it was still a bad trade.

The only thing that's keeping harvin from being OPOY material is his injuries. The things that are keeping T rich from being a half decent running back are : talent, vision, speed, acceleration, and elusiveness. 

The only thing that's keeping harvin from being OPOY material is his injuries. The things that are keeping T rich from being a half decent running back are : talent, vision, speed, acceleration, and elusiveness. 

So it's okay for their players to be injured, but when our players are injured, it's bad signings, bad coaching, bad training staff, etc. Right?

Again, perspective.

The Harvin trade was NEVER a good one for the Seahawks. It made no sense to give up a first rounder when they could have drafted a similar player themselves, and it made less sense to give him $10m+/year.

Not to mention, I disagree strongly with your assessment of Richardson's abilities, and your hyperbole regarding Harvin's potential (he's nowhere near an OPOY type player, and never has been), but whatever. The point is that the Seahawks made a bad trade, giving up much more than we gave up for Richardson, and getting less production. Again, perspective. Great team, well-run team, that made a bad trade. It happens.

So it's okay for their players to be injured, but when our players are injured, it's bad signings, bad coaching, bad training staff, etc. Right?

Again, perspective.

The Harvin trade was NEVER a good one for the Seahawks. It made no sense to give up a first rounder when they could have drafted a similar player themselves, and it made less sense to give him $10m+/year.

Not to mention, I disagree strongly with your assessment of Richardson's abilities, and your hyperbole regarding Harvin's potential (he's nowhere near an OPOY type player, and never has been), but whatever. The point is that the Seahawks made a bad trade, giving up much more than we gave up for Richardson, and getting less production. Again, perspective. Great team, well-run team, that made a bad trade. It happens.

While I agree that the hawks didn't really need harvin, Harvin never really hurt the hawks as a team. Richardson on the other hand hurt our running game ( although it's mostly our O lines fault). I still haven't given up on richardson, and I think with a healthier and hopefully improved O line, he can break out, but looking at this year alone, Richardson was a clear negative while Harvin was nothing. Having said that, I do agree that the hawks payed the guy too much. His talent is worth a first round pick but not 14 million.

While I agree that the hawks didn't really need harvin, Harvin never really hurt the hawks as a team. Richardson on the other hand hurt our running game ( although it's mostly our O lines fault). I still haven't given up on richardson, and I think with a healthier and hopefully improved O line, he can break out, but looking at this year alone, Richardson was a clear negative while Harvin was nothing. Having said that, I do agree that the hawks payed the guy too much. His talent is worth a first round pick but not 14 million.

I don't think they should have given a first rounder for him, given his injury history (people complain about the $14m we gave Toler, and he's no more injury prone than Harvin is). They could have just drafted Patterson. They also gave up a 7th in 2013, and a 4th in 2014. And, they gave him $14m guaranteed, and are on the hook for $21.5m in base salary the next two years. He caught one pass for 17 yards all year long. This is the decision-making of the team that everyone thinks we should aspire to be like. 

I'm not dogging the Seahawks for what I think was a bad decision. I'm just illustrating that sometimes well-run teams make bad decisions. We micro-analyze our own team, and then take a big picture look at the teams we want to be like. That leads to obsessing over second round picks ("Fleener over Cordy Glenn?? Fire Grigson!!!") while praising other teams (the Seahawks chose Christine Michael over Warford, Mathieu, Allen, etc.)

As for Richardson, I don't think he was the problem. He, unfortunately, wasn't a part of the solution, but the bigger issues to me were poor coaching (Pep's play calling plain stunk for a month and a half) and poor offensive line play. Richardson deserves plenty of criticism, but he was in a tough situation. I expect much more from him next year. If he doesn't perform behind an improved offensive line (fingers crossed on that) and with a training camp under his belt, then let's throw him out back and beat him with a sack of limes. 

Just one more thing on Harvin vs. Richardson, Richardson outproduced Harvin even as a receiver. And we'll pay Richardson in three years less than half of what the Seahawks paid Harvin just this year. All things equal, I'd rather have Harvin every day of the week, and a thousand times on Sunday, so don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, we got way more out of our bad trade this year than the Seahawks got out of theirs.

Pete C can get away with this kind of thing "NOW" because the Seahawks are not paying anyone really except Harvin...    and who was in the lineup come Super Bowl despite not doing much of anything prior?   HMMM?

Don't did yourself MONEY player HAVE to play because the depth is little.

In 2 years Seattle will be a VERY DIFFERENT TEAM from the one we seen yesterday.    Teams start winning...  and players want paid.

And you can't pay them all.          Sherman made I think 600,000 this year, and Wilson less.     Enjoy it while you can Seattle fan.

They could have kept their #1 and drafted Cordarrelle Patterson, and gotten more out of him than they got out of Harvin. And for about a quarter of the price. A couple big plays in the SB doesn't change any of that. Matter of fact, they were going to put him on IR a month ago.

The Harvin trade isn't vindicated by the SB. It was absolutely a mistake, and they absolutely did NOT get fair value out of the deal. Perhaps it will begin to balance out in their favor as more time goes on; I still think Harvin is a great player, but that was not a good trade for the Seahawks. I still think Richardson is a good player and will produce more for us as time goes on. But it was still a bad trade.

Delusion at it's finest. I'm not going to reference Trich so much but if you can give that guy time before declaring this trade a dud than I expect you do the same for Harvin. It was  great trade for them if Harvin stays healthy, his production is great and much better than C. Patterson.