Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning was the No. 1 pick because Ryan Leaf sabotaged the draft process

Dustin

I'd like to add I doubt the Colts were ever taking Leaf regardless. Steinberg said they were 'leaning' toward Leaf, but I don't know how he could have made the assumption, especially so early in the draft process before combines, pro days etc.

Leaf may have intentionally sabotaged himself, but I doubt there was much need to.

Did Colts ever consider drafting Leaf seriously? Teams do their due diligence to talk to a few candidates but I think they have already made their mind. Same case for the Luck-RGIII debate, which indeed was never a debate at the first place.

BTW going into NFL as a top pick and asking for "the more laid-back lifestyle" is enough to explain why Leaf never had a career.

I kinda think Polian is telling the truth here. I don't think Leaf was ever seriously considered, because Irsay would have at some point noticed that Polian was dead wrong about wanting Leaf at all and questioned his judgement earlier on in his tenure (before 2011).

Does that make sense. I dunno. Odd story.

True story:

Peyton and Archie were at an autograph/baseball card show in NJ about 2 weeks before the draft.  I showed Archie my Colts helmet and he asked if that was for Peyton to sign.  I said yes, and he replied, "good call". When it came time for Peyton to autograph the helmet, I asked if i was giving him the right helmet, he replied "My autograph looks real good on a Colt helmet. I could get used to that."

May not have meant anything at the time, but I took it as a good sign that he was going to be drafted by the Colts.

BTW: the autographs were $15.00 a piece for Peyton. Not a bad investment!

True story:

Peyton and Archie were at an autograph/baseball card show in NJ about 2 weeks before the draft.  I showed Archie my Colts helmet and he asked if that was for Peyton to sign.  I said yes, and he replied, "good call". When it came time for Peyton to autograph the helmet, I asked if i was giving him the right helmet, he replied "My autograph looks real good on a Colt helmet. I could get used to that."

May not have meant anything at the time, but I took it as a good sign that he was going to be drafted by the Colts.

BTW: the autographs were $15.00 a piece for Peyton. Not a bad investment!

I am calling nonsense on this one

I don't doubt that Leaf tanked on purpose.  But no way were the Colts considering him.   Manning himself, when drafted, they asked him how long he had known he would be the #1 pick and he said something like "I can keep a secret too".   They all knew for awhile Manning would be the pick.  They wanted to build some excitement for the team.  So Brad Wells and his men can write these blogs to once again make Polian look bad.

He's told that story here a few times..doesn't make it true but I see no reason to think it was false.

Also, I find it hard to believe anyone watching their tape in college, listen to their coaches, and sit down and interview PM could ever say to themselves...naw lets go for the other guy. PM was a pro before he was a pro...prepared, confident, and sharp...and his football iq and mechanics....he was a sure bet to be a franchise qb. That said I'm sure they never dreamed he would achieve what he has.

He is claiming the Chargers Bobby Beathard was in on getting Ryan Leaf to the Chargers.  The problem with that story is both Polian and Beathard have said that Beathard contacted the Colts about trading up because they wanted Manning.  So if they wanted Manning, wouldn't Beathard have made Manning look bad instead of Leaf?  Crock of poo.  Selling books.

I am glad he sabotaged it.  I cannot imagine where our franchise would be if we whiffed on Ryan and the Chargers drafted Manning.

Who knows if we are even in Indianapolis still.

Amen.  Peyton kept football in Indiana and gave us LOS and a bright new future.

Did Colts ever consider drafting Leaf seriously? Teams do their due diligence to talk to a few candidates but I think they have already made their mind. Same case for the Luck-RGIII debate, which indeed was never a debate at the first place.

BTW going into NFL as a top pick and asking for "the more laid-back lifestyle" is enough to explain why Leaf never had a career.

The irony that he believed Indiana isn't more laid back then San Diego just goes to show you all you need to about Leaf.

LOL thats soo messed up man. :funny:

Dear Ryan, 

lXsTpNe.gif

who is that in the gif?

I remember watching Arizona pull out a meaningless win in the last play, of the last game of the 1997 season to give the Colts the #1 pick.  Without that meaningless win on a 1 yard TD pass to Larry Centers with :05 seconds left in the game, the Cardinals would have had the first pick in draft.  My nephew and I celebrated that TD knowing/hoping that it meant Manning would be with the Colts.

I used to lurk on the Colts forum back in the 90s.   There were some fans on the forum who didn't want Manning or Leaf.  They wanted Andre Wadsworth, who went #3 to Arizona and busted too.  Many were on the Leaf bandwagon -- "he's a bigger/better/faster Brett Favre".