Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can we do to improve our Defense?

Rob Lowe

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

defense sucks it Greg Manusky  . luck score a lot points offense need center and a right guard from free agency rest the offense is fine

Luck had the opportunity to score a lot more points had he not thrown a couple of ill advised INT's and had he not missed wide open outlet receivers instead of trying to force the ball downfield.  All of this I have no doubt will be corrected with experience.  Luck would not have been in any opportunity to try to bring the team back tonight had the defense not made several key stops.

RJF, Franklin are not starters probably wouldn't start on any team in the league and Redding is only a 3rd down pass rusher this late his career. Also both of our safeties can't cover but were stuck with Landry. 

1. Sign Arthur Jones and see if Hughes can develop as a DE.

2. Draft a NT that can create double teams.

3. Draft a CB and ILB early

I wonder if Landry may have not been fully healthy down the stretch, He was awesome the first of the year. He's never going to be great in coverage though. I wish we had a safety like Earl Thomas so bad. That dude was ballin in the Seahawks and Saints game.

He did get a concussion last game. Maybe he just wasn't himself. For as common as it is, that is very crazy and unpredictable injury. Having had a few, they are rough.

RJF (no), Franklin are not starters probably wouldn't start on any team in the league and Redding is only a 3rd down pass rusher this late his career (eh...not really). Also both of our safeties can't cover (no) but were stuck with Landry. 

1. Sign Arthur Jones and see if Hughes can develop as a DE.

2. Draft a NT that can create double teams. (no...a backup for Chapman perhaps though)

3. Draft a CB (eh..maybe) and ILB early 

I agree about Arthur Jones but not because of anything else you said.  I would like to see Jones brought in to start along with Chapman and RJF while Hughes continues to develop.  This will make Redding and Hughes the primary backups in the rotation with Pendleton (hopefully) and Matthews at the bottom of the rotation.  I'm fine with cutting ties with Moala.

Bethea still does an average to above-average job in coverage.  I think he gets more flak around here than he deserves.  If they feel an upgrade can be made then fine but not because Bethea CAN'T cover.

Draft a CB early?  Like I said above in red, eh maybe but I think it's more likely they do that in FA and that's even if they cut ties with Toler which I'm not sure is a given at this point.  They may give him one more year to see if he can stay healthy but I don't think a high draft pick needs to be spent on a CB this year anyway, especially since we don't have a first round pick. 

I do agree with drafting an ILB early and/or bringing in an upgrade at ILB in FA.  I agree that we're stuck with Landry but I don't consider that such a bad thing.   

RJF is not a starter he's to small to play DE in the 3-4 that we run. There's a reason he was listed as one of the most over paid players in the league, he's awful. Chapman is a backup we need a massive NT that can create double teams and occasionally rush the passer, Louis Nix or Daniel Mccullers type of NT. We were 26th in run defense no one on the defensive line deserves to start next year.

I agree about Arthur Jones but not because of anything else you said.  I would like to see Jones brought in to start along with Chapman and RJF while Hughes continues to develop.  This will make Redding and Hughes the primary backups in the rotation with Pendleton (hopefully) and Matthews at the bottom of the rotation.  I'm fine with cutting ties with Moala.

Bethea still does an average to above-average job in coverage.  I think he gets more flak around here than he deserves.  If they feel an upgrade can be made then fine but not because Bethea CAN'T cover.

Draft a CB early?  Like I said above in red, eh maybe but I think it's more likely they do that in FA and that's even if they cut ties with Toler which I'm not sure is a given at this point.  They may give him one more year to see if he can stay healthy but I don't think a high draft pick needs to be spent on a CB this year anyway, especially since we don't have a first round pick. 

I do agree with drafting an ILB early and/or bringing in an upgrade at ILB in FA.  I agree that we're stuck with Landry but I don't consider that such a bad thing.   

RJF is not a starter he's to small to play DE in the 3-4 that we run. There's a reason he was listed as one of the most over paid players in the league, he's awful. Chapman is a backup we need a massive NT that can create double teams and occasionally rush the passer, Louis Nix or Daniel Mccullers type of NT. We were 26th in run defense no one on the defensive line deserves to start next year.

Well it's a good thing RJF doesn't play DE (5 tech) in our defense.  He plays 3-tech.  He's also played well pretty much all year except for right after he came back from injury.  He was predicted to be an overpaid player because people were unsure if he would be able to live up to the contract he was given due to his lack of experience as a starter.  However he proved those people wrong by earning dam near every penny of his contract so far.

Chapman is a massive NT that does create double teams and he does occasionally rush the passer in the rare opportunities that he gets.  He was a few inches from getting a sack on Smith last year and he got a hit on Brady early in the game that would have been a sack had Brady not been able to get the ball off at the last second.

being 26th in run defense this year was far, far more on the ILB's and safeties than it was on the DL. 

I saw RJF lined up as NT on a running down. I guess he moves there sometimes even if he's not that big

I have no idea what you've been watching this year, RJF has been one of the worst players on the defense. Redding has been the only bright spot for the defensive and his age showed in the playoffs. Key to stopping the run is the trenches and we don't have any guys that are starter material. All of the Alabama players have been bust or just average players. I like Chapman as a depth guy but we need a true NT. Can't put this on the ILB's and Safeties majority of the blame goes to the d-line.

Well it's a good thing RJF doesn't play DE (5 tech) in our defense.  He plays 3-tech.  He's also played well pretty much all year except for right after he came back from injury.  He was predicted to be an overpaid player because people were unsure if he would be able to live up to the contract he was given due to his lack of experience as a starter.  However he proved those people wrong by earning dam near every penny of his contract so far.

Chapman is a massive NT that does create double teams and he does occasionally rush the passer in the rare opportunities that he gets.  He was a few inches from getting a sack on Smith last year and he got a hit on Brady early in the game that would have been a sack had Brady not been able to get the ball off at the last second.

being 26th in run defense this year was far, far more on the ILB's and safeties than it was on the DL. 

I payed most of my attention to the d-line and they were getting man handled the entire game. RJF is too small to play DE he's only 290 lbs. Most DE's are 315 lbs in the 3-4. The only reason he moved to NT is because ours were getting pancaked left and right.

I saw RJF lined up as NT on a running down. I guess he moves there sometimes even if he's not that big

I payed most of my attention to the d-line and they were getting man handled the entire game. RJF is too small to play DE he's only 290 lbs. Most DE's are 315 lbs in the 3-4. The only reason he moved to NT is because ours were getting pancaked left and right.

Well again, the colts defense is a hybrid defense so RJF isn't playing  a prototypical 3-4 DE (which is a 5-tech).  And the only reason RJF would have been at NT is if the coaches were expecting a pass.  He would be an emergency NT only.  Pendleton would have been at NT before RJF if they were expecting run

if a rb gets to the lbs and safeties they have made a gain, rbs should be stopped at the line for no gain by linemen

1.) tackle

2.) fill a gap

3.) bump receivers off the line

4.) catch give me interceptions

5.) don't over pursue

Just a few off the top. No particular order.

I'd add keep your cool.  Several times this year we've seen guys blow their stacks and do something dumb (the Walden head bunt for example) and we saw it again tonight with the mini melt down by Butler by tackling the guy well after the play was over. 

I don't think this is a personnel problem, sure we could stand to upgrade at a few positions like CB, but this is on the coaching. No way does a defense with a laundry list of good players give up almost 90 points in 2 playoff games. It's gotta be on Manusky.

I would seriously consider NOT re-signing Vontae Davis. He has seemed so disinterested the second half of the season and into the playoffs. Julian Edelman was burning him left and right. Of course, if you are going to play man, the crossing routes are going to kill you.

I would see about signing Jason Worilds OLB from the Steelers and Paul Soliai NT from the Dolphins. I would also consider Alterruan Verner CB from the Titans over re-signing Davis.

I would do everything I could to sign Alex Mack from the Browns. He would tremendously upgrade the o-line. I would also look at signing Julian Edelman if the price is not too much.

In the draft I would try to trade back for extra picks in 2015. I would look at Antone Exum from Virginia Tech to play FS and Yawin Smallwood ILB from Connecticut.

The 2015 draft will be loaded at WR. It would be nice to have an extra pick or two in the arsenal to trade up.

We have so many problems on D where do you start this might be worse then the manning era. One problem I see is Grigson might be to stubborn to cut player's he signed I hope that is not the case. After that Richardson trade I have my doubts about him I might be one of the few who never liked the trade from the beginning. GO COLTS

He did get a concussion last game. Maybe he just wasn't himself. For as common as it is, that is very crazy and unpredictable injury. Having had a few, they are rough.

I know, but I was thinking he may have had some nagging injury that we didn't know about.

I think if we can get an Alex Mack type center on the offensive line, and a decent WR through FA/ draft, our offense can be a top offense in this league, we are getting so many players back from injury. I honestly would be surprised if Satele isn't cut. For Defense, I really think Manusky should go. Same with Toler, I thought Toler was decent but he couldn't stay on the field and isn't earning that contract, so lets cut him and pay a corner who can stay on the field, I like Walter Thurmond from seattle, but that's just an idea it varies, you know what I mean. . As for Free agency, I think getting a safety(if bethea isn't resigned) like Jarius Byrd, a ballhawk cover safety, and then having Landry, a hard hitting run stopper, that would be quite the duo. As for linebacker, Jerrell Freeman is just a straight beast. Gets better each week. the only problem is we don't have a strong ILB that can cover very well to complement him. McNary and sheppard are decent but I think our best bet until they continue to develop is to get one like how I described. D-line needs pass rush period. just as a note I love this team, im a die hard fan and support my Indy Colts 100%. excited for the off-season. this was just an opinion, but anything Mr. Grigson does, whatever it may be, i support. GO COLTS

need safetys that can cover and tackle for starters.Landry has got to go, can he miss a few more tackles?

We're not going to get better by dumping players, only by replacing them with better players. We don't have the cap to replace half of the D. We have to re-sign Vontea, anyone who thinks otherwise must think there's good CBs growing on trees.

We have to replace AB, as sad as it is. Maybe Byrd? Werner has to show why he was a #1 pick.

Overall, the D is a little above average, which is all you need if your O can dominate like the Pats did last night.

Bethea can't cover he's a LB playing safety. Landry had a concussion last game the talent is there with the right coach i think he will play at a high level. Bethea has to go he just doesn't have the ball awareness to make plays when the ball is in the air.

Bethea was one of the ONLY guys actually tackling last night, Bethea stays

I still think coaching is our biggest problem.  It's amazing how Bilichick can overcome injuries when Patriots have them.  They had the best 2 TE offense in the league, lost both of the TEs, and still managed to put up points and win games.  They are playing with inexperienced receivers, yet they still win games.  They lose their best defensive lineman, yet they still win games.  They traded a fan for Blount and he's looking like an all pro.  It's amazing how Bilichick can adjust his offense and defense week to week depending on who he has available and who he's playing 

We go out and spend tons of money on free agents and trade our first round pick for a RB, yet we still can't seem to get this thing completely right.  Our coaches use the same game plan week in and week out hoping for a different result.  No adjustments leading up to the game.  No adjustments during the game.  Maybe a few adjustments at halftime or a pep talk during halftime. 

We have so many problems on D where do you start this might be worse then the manning era. One problem I see is Grigson might be to stubborn to cut player's he signed I hope that is not the case. After that Richardson trade I have my doubts about him I might be one of the few who never liked the trade from the beginning. GO COLTS

he cut Zibs a year after signing him and seemed to set up contracts so he can do that if needed so I don't think that will be an issue.