Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Of all the coaches who have been fired- who do you think would be a great Position Coach?

GoColtsGo5150

Let me make this clear from the start:  I AM NOT SAYING FOR THEM TO BE HC OR EVEN OC OR DC.

But of all the coaches who have been fired- who do you think would a great Position Coach?

Jim Schwartz- Linebackers

Greg Schiano- Secondary

Mike Shanahan- RB coach

Leslie Frazier- Secondary

Chud- TE

Gary Kubiak- QB

other potential firings could be:

Jason Garrett-QB

Joe Philbin- OL

Mike Munchak-OL

Dennis Allen-Secondary

Tom Coughlin- WR/QB

Again this isn't a fire our entire coaching staff, rather who do you think we should add ( if any) from this list?

None of those coaches fired are a surprise, If our O Line had the talent and was struggling then I might want Munchak as a replacement O Line coach but as it is our O Line simply dont have the talent and any O Line coach would struggle to look good with our interior O Line, But other then that none of those coaches I want any part of although Chud got a raw deal

Secondary is pretty much coached by Pagano.

The secondary is not "pretty much coached by Pagano."  Pagano is the HC, he does not have time to be a position coach as well.  The secondary coach is Mike Gillhammer and he is a good one.  I would not be surprised to see him get a DC offer in another year or two.

If Cleveland gets rid of the rest of their coaching staff and he doesn't get a HC offer somewhere, I'd love to bring in Ray Horton as pretty much whatever he wants to be other than HC.

Yeah, Horton would be a steal.  But none of our coordinators are going to be let go, and I doubt they get hired to be HCs.  And you have to admit, Manusky has done a great job considering what he has to work with.

I thought Frazier was a well respected coach when he was in Indy.

Colts have a good TE coach in Alfredo Roberts. Secondary is pretty much coached by Pagano.

Can anybody really see Shanahan taking a RB coaching position? I think the Colts are good with the coaches they have for another year.

Maybe Shanahan for RB coach. Because he wouldn't mess around with Richardson if he would be running better then he should play but he would decide who the better running back is then that player would be the starter.

Let me make this clear from the start:  I AM NOT SAYING FOR THEM TO BE HC OR EVEN OC OR DC.

But of all the coaches who have been fired- who do you think would a great Position Coach?

Greg Schiano- Secondary

Mike Shanahan- RB coach

Chud- TE

Gary Kubiak- QB

Jason Garrett-QB

Joe Philbin- OL

Mike Munchak-OL

Dennis Allen-Secondary

Tom Coughlin- WR/QB

Again this isn't a fire our entire coaching staff, rather who do you think we should add ( if any) from this list?

Garrett isn't getting fired. Jones loves that guy almost as much as he loves Tony Romo to fire him. prob give him a contract extension lol

I wouldn't want schiano doing our laundry. That man is a complete, utter joke. Same goes for shanahan. Take away his Elway success and what has shanahan done?

Take away his Elway success and what has shanahan done?

Win a SB as offensive coordinator with 49ers in '94.......Shanahan was actually the O Coordinator of the '86 Broncos with Elway that went to the SB.....He was the OC.......Also '87 Broncos as OC that went to the SB

I wouldn't want schiano doing our laundry. That man is a complete, utter joke. Same goes for shanahan. Take away his Elway success and what has shanahan done?

im sorry but elway was not his success. it was Terrell Davis and that late 90's defense led by romanowski. Shannahan had a decent QB in RG3 at washington and he allowed his son to run him into the ground and get hurt. if anything he has no balls to stand up to anyone. heck he even allowed his QB's father try dictating everything that had to do with his son (meaning RG3 and his dad). he still proved he could have a 1200+ yard rusher even with one of the worst teams in the NFL this year. 

That's a strange way of evaluating someone. Take away anyone's success and there are no positives to mention.

I'm not the biggest Shanahan fan; I think he's had his day, and it's time to close the book on him as a head coach in the NFL. But I don't see why he shouldn't be credited for the success he had.

After the complete upheaval 2 years ago, then losing our OC last year, I'd love to see what happens if we just keep the staff intact for a couple years.

Yeah, as much as the whole coaching staff has screwed up games during the year (Pagano - team prep, game management; Pep - play calling, in-game adjustments; Manusky - def scheming & disguise, in-game adjustments)...they all seem to have learned on the job and improved....and should probably be retained over any of the retreads and over-the-hill pseudo-coaches mentioned above....minor changes excepted.

Take away his Elway success and what has shanahan done?

Win a SB as offensive coordinator with 49ers in '94.......Shanahan was actually the O Coordinator of the '86 Broncos with Elway that went to the SB.....He was the OC.......Also '87 Broncos as OC that went to the SB

Norv turner was a great OC too. 

That's a strange way of evaluating someone. Take away anyone's success and there are no positives to mention.

I'm not the biggest Shanahan fan; I think he's had his day, and it's time to close the book on him as a head coach in the NFL. But I don't see why he shouldn't be credited for the success he had.

It's like Caldwell's 14 win season. His QB and his ability to change the game were more responsible for Caldwell's success than anything Caldwell ever did. 

Same with shanahan. When Elway retired, his success waned. How many playoff games did shanahan win in the 10 years following the Elway-fueled Super Bowls?

One. 

It's easy to be a head coach when you have the best QB of the generation, and one of the best of all time. When that luxury is gone, however, THAT is when you see what a coach is made of. And shanahan hasn't shown much post-Elway. Even with Jake Plummer, who was a more than capable QB.

It's like Caldwell's 14 win season. His QB and his ability to change the game were more responsible for Caldwell's success than anything Caldwell ever did. 

Same with shanahan. When Elway retired, his success waned. How many playoff games did shanahan win in the 10 years following the Elway-fueled Super Bowls?

One. 

It's easy to be a head coach when you have the best QB of the generation, and one of the best of all time. When that luxury is gone, however, THAT is when you see what a coach is made of. And shanahan hasn't shown much post-Elway. Even with Jake Plummer, who was a more than capable QB.

Funny you should bring up Plummer, whose best years were in Denver with Shanahan.

Back to Elway, sure Shanahan benefited from having one of the best QBs of all time. But that QB also benefited from Shanahan. Elway was 0-3 in the Super Bowl before Shanahan took over. The changes to focus on the run game and develop the younger talent helped the Broncos tremendously. Considering the way things went, it's reasonable to assume that Elway would have never won a Super Bowl without Shanahan. That's one of the best QBs of all time, helped to two rings in the twilight of his career by Mike Shanahan. There's two sides to every story.

Mike Shanahan is nothing like Jim Caldwell, by the way, who struggled with the very basic concepts of being a head coach. Shanahan had some pretty strong teams post Elway, and while they never made much noise in the postseason, they weren't 2-14 either; at no point did he lose 13 games in a row.

Again, not the biggest Shanahan fan in the world, but I would never lump him in with the likes of Jim Caldwell.

One. 

91 wins 66 losses after Elway

Greg Schiano- Secondary

Mike Shanahan- RB coach

Chud- TE

Gary Kubiak- QB

Jason Garrett-QB

Joe Philbin- OL

Mike Munchak-OL

Dennis Allen-Secondary

Tom Coughlin- WR/QB

How come you never mentioned Mike Singletary as a LB coach in your list? I will always have a soft spot for Mike from the Buddy Ryan/Mike Ditka 1985 days myself. Singletary is no HC, but a good LB coach. 

How come you never mentioned Mike Singletary as a LB coach in your list? I will always have a soft spot for Mike from the Buddy Ryan/Mike Ditka 1985 days myself. Singletary is no HC, but a good LB coach.

Sorry, I only put down coaches from this round of "black monday". You guys can still mention other potential position coaches.

im sorry but elway was not his success. it was Terrell Davis and that late 90's defense led by romanowski. Shannahan had a decent QB in RG3 at washington and he allowed his son to run him into the ground and get hurt. if anything he has no balls to stand up to anyone. heck he even allowed his QB's father try dictating everything that had to do with his son (meaning RG3 and his dad). he still proved he could have a 1200+ yard rusher even with one of the worst teams in the NFL this year.

Elway was still pretty damn good....good enough to win a SB MVP. And that team wasn't looking so hot after Elway retired...even before Davis got injured.

Garrett isn't getting fired. Jones loves that guy almost as much as he loves Tony Romo to fire him. prob give him a contract extension lol

Precisely, if there was ever a time to sweep out the entire coaching staff Dallas would be it, but Jerry Jones ego won't permit that. Yippie! SW1 gets to watch the Cowboys collapse next season too.

Woo Hoo! The gift that keeps on giving. Jerry are you my secret santa? You never let me down... :lol:  :funny:  lmao

Sorry, I only put down coaches from this round of "black monday". You guys can still mention other potential position coaches.

No worries GCG5150. I wasn't really criticizing you personally. I just miss the 70's & 80's when the defense was actually allowed to smash, crush, & stomp QBs & any ball carrier until they bled or just gave up out of fear & exhaustion. LOL!  

That's why I love Singletary; He represents an era in football that is now dead...I really miss those days.

Good point ILWT. Bill Romanowski was 1 bat bleep crazy LB whose football contributions often get glossed over & forgotten about. Terrell Davis is the main reason why Mike won 2 SBs in Denver I agree. 

Elway was still pretty damn good....good enough to win a SB MVP. And that team wasn't looking so hot after Elway retired...even before Davis got injured.

BOTT is also right though. John Elway did kind of carry that franchise for the longest time & Dan Reeves was not a good coach either or what Elway needed in his young QB career either. 

Yes, I realize that Dan Reeves took Denver to the  SB & Atlanta too, but I expect HC"s & elite QBs to win everytime they are competing for a Championship too. Yes, I know that my standards are high. 

im not saying Elway was not good, just stating that the broncos relied heavy on their run game more then they did their passing game and that the run game and their defense is what won them their superbowls. or at least one of them lol. 

im not saying Elway was not good, just stating that the broncos relied heavy on their run game more then they did their passing game and that the run game and their defense is what won them their superbowls. or at least one of them lol.

I get what you were saying, but it annoys me that people, maybe not you, hold that fact against Elway. God forbid the Broncos had finally put a good team around Elway.