Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chanting "fire Caldwell!" During The Next Home Game, Speed Things Up?

joo 2h

Heck I drive round trip to cincy and back 4-5 times a year to see my Reds and I Hate, I mean really Hate their manager and GM, but it doesn't stop me from going.

BIG difference between buying a baseball ticket 4 times a year to watch a successful manager and buying 10 football tickets to watch a head coach destroy a football team

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow haha... can you imagine the look on caldwells face if that actually happens? the guy would be embarrassed.

Yeah.

You know what though, I don't think we need to publicly humiliate the man. By all accounts he's a pretty good person. He's got a wife and kids. You think it's sucks for us right now? Think about being in his shoes. Everyone around you hates you just because you aren't good at your job. It's not like he doesn't want the team to get better.

I just want him fired. We don't need to scourge him too. This shouldn't be personal.

Yeah.

You know what though, I don't think we need to publicly humiliate the man. By all accounts he's a pretty good person. He's got a wife and kids. You think it's sucks for us right now? Think about being in his shoes. Everyone around you hates you just because you aren't good at your job. It's not like he doesn't want the team to get better.

I just want him fired. We don't need to scourge him too. This shouldn't be personal.

Problem is, not being very good at his job affects hundreds of others and their jobs. It's not just HIS job. What happened at New Orleans scourged about how many other people? His ineptness is not about just him, it's about embarrassing all the players, coaches, managers, their families, and fans associated with this franchise in any way. He publicly humiliated them all, and on national TV, in prime time. It may not be personal, but it sure is warranted.

Yeah.

Very well said. :)

Yeah.

Ya,exactly.Does anyone realize what they are saying?Don't you think the players feel bad enough without all the fans doing something so disrespectful and rubbing their faces in it?We are not NE,show some love and support,try to make them feel better.And btw,Tenn is a very winnable game.GO COLTS!!

Edited by coltsfan84

Problem is, not being very good at his job affects hundreds of others and their jobs. It's not just HIS job. What happened at New Orleans scourged about how many other people? His ineptness is not about just him, it's about embarrassing all the players, coaches, managers, their families, and fans associated with this franchise in any way. He publicly humiliated them all, and on national TV, in prime time. It may not be personal, but it sure is warranted.

Dear lord, he's not the only one out there failing. Those players had just as much to do with this mess as Caldwell.

All I'm saying, is that I'm sure he's trying, and simply being bad at your job isn't justification for public humiliation. It doesn't have to be personal. When you make it personal, it effects your judgement.

Fans have every right to voice their opinion during a game. However, there are certain things a person cannot say or do during a game that will get them kicked out. Chanting to fire the coach is nothing new or revolutionary in the sports world. These coaches and players know they have to perform well for their city or else. They aren't getting paid the big bucks to take it easy. We the fans are the consumers, and if we don't like the product we are getting we have the freedom to voice our displeasure in a legal (not throwing bottles on the field or threatening Caldwell's life) manner. I don't see anything wrong with yelling that to Caldwell, yes it may seem insincere, but this is the world of professional sports, not accounting.

And how about cheering for the team to do well? Do you really think the players would appreciate their fans dumping on a guy they will publicly back? This isn't a team bent on knee-jerk reactions and in-house division. They are consummate professionals, and they will play with what they have as long as they have it. Oh, and this has nothing to do with seeing everything half full, or with a certain color of glasses, etc.

I don't want Caldwell here at seasons' end either, and I understand that we, the fans, pay to see an entertaining and competitive team. But this would be childish (not amusing), and I'd cheer for the players to charge the stands looking for the culprits (a la Ron Artest).

Edited by doogansquest

May be a bit of overkill, but he has thicker skin than that.

The REAL problem with this whole scemiario is that Polian would take it personal and refuse to fire him BECAUSE the fans want him gone. 'Cause ain't NOBODY is gonna tell Polian how to do HIS job. especially those dumb fans, or sports writers or TV reporters, or Mel Kiper..

After so much negativity and craziness on this board during the Saints game, I HAD decided I wasn't gonna post here for a while. Instead, I decided to use a wonderful thing called the ignore/block feature to get the "nonsense" out of my life if you know what or who I mean.

But after seeing this thread, I just couldn't keep my mouth (hands) shut. One of the main things I love and respect about this team and organization has been the "class" and professionalism it has shown over the years. This franchise has always seemed to take the high road and shown fair play and decency in its play and dealings with each other and other teams/organizations. It is one of the main reasons I have been so proud to be a Colts fan. It has set us apart from the Patriot, Eagle, Steeler, etc fans and organizations.

I feel chanting "fire Caldwell" goes against all that I hold dear and respect about this team and organization. Its classless. There are better ways to handle this. IMO, chanting and disrespecting "our own" will not only embarrass us as fans but , whether you like the job he's done or not, I feel Caldwell doesn't deserve that.

Its a free country, all of you are welcome to do whatever you want. But be prepared to be the laughing stock of the "fan world" as well. Tweet Irsay, picket the "Oil can", or whatever you gotta do, but I feel the chanting is very childish and disrespectful. (especially on national tv) It represents ALL that I feel this organization HAS NOT been. The guy knows he's gone, sheesh. At least let him leave with his pride intact. Whos next? You gonna call Dallas a bum the next time he drops a pass after all he's done in the past? This year is anamalous, a "perfect storm" of problems. How would you feel? Caldwell KNOWS how we feel, he's not stupid. Trust me, he's not happy either. And what about his family? How will it hurt them to see him disrespected in such a way when he really has given his all. He just isn't "the guy". I'd rather see a "flooding" of Irsay's and Polian's Emails. This problem is MUCH bigger than Caldwell. Look at the big picture. I mean, Why not boo some kid at their 4th grade play while you're at it.

Do what you want, but chanting will just set us , as Colt fans, back to the days when Colt fans were laughed at and discounted (not so long ago) as a joke. Remember those days? I sure do. Its funny how a person's TRUE character comes out in the face of adversity.

Sorry to rant but I will be really embarrassed to be a Colt fan if this actually happens. MUCH MORE embarrassed than the play of our team.

Booing and chanting like this is the epitome of the "fair-weather" fan. We can be better than that. There's got to be a better way to handle this.

Sorry if i offend anyone but I HAD to get this off my chest.

After so much negativity and craziness on this board during the Saints game, I HAD decided I wasn't gonna post here for a while. Instead, I decided to use a wonderful thing called the ignore/block feature to get the "nonsense" out of my life if you know what or who I mean.

But after seeing this thread, I just couldn't keep my mouth (hands) shut. One of the main things I love and respect about this team and organization has been the "class" and professionalism it has shown over the years. This franchise has always seemed to take the high road and shown fair play and decency in its play and dealings with each other and other teams/organizations. It is one of the main reasons I have been so proud to be a Colts fan. It has set us apart from the Patriot, Eagle, Steeler, etc fans and organizations.

I feel chanting "fire Caldwell" goes against all that I hold dear and respect about this team and organization. Its classless. There are better ways to handle this. IMO, chanting and disrespecting "our own" will not only embarrass us as fans but , whether you like the job he's done or not, I feel Caldwell doesn't deserve that.

Its a free country, all of you are welcome to do whatever you want. But be prepared to be the laughing stock of the "fan world" as well. Tweet Irsay, picket the "Oil can", or whatever you gotta do, but I feel the chanting is very childish and disrespectful. (especially on national tv) It represents ALL that I feel this organization HAS NOT been. The guy knows he's gone, sheesh. At least let him leave with his pride intact. Whos next? You gonna call Dallas a bum the next time he drops a pass after all he's done in the past? This year is anamalous, a "perfect storm" of problems. How would you feel? Caldwell KNOWS how we feel, he's not stupid. Trust me, he's not happy either. And what about his family? How will it hurt them to see him disrespected in such a way when he really has given his all. He just isn't "the guy". I'd rather see a "flooding" of Irsay's and Polian's Emails. This problem is MUCH bigger than Caldwell. Look at the big picture. I mean, Why not boo some kid at their 4th grade play while you're at it.

Do what you want, but chanting will just set us , as Colt fans, back to the days when Colt fans were laughed at and discounted (not so long ago) as a joke. Remember those days? I sure do. Its funny how a person's TRUE character comes out in the face of adversity.

Sorry to rant but I will be really embarrassed to be a Colt fan if this actually happens. MUCH MORE embarrassed than the play of our team.

Booing and chanting like this is the epitome of the "fair-weather" fan. We can be better than that. There's got to be a better way to handle this.

I understand where you are coming from. This thread is more of a suggestion to ask what do fans think about it. Thats all i was trying to get out of the thread, but some fans like to voice them selfs so they can be herd. As a fan this is almost the only power we have, is to protest the headcoach.

I understand not all fans like these type of events, but some fans do, As my chant does not hurt caldwell and his family in anyway, as they have money to get by without him ever having to work again. Heck i would love to trade places with him. We fans work hard to get are 300-400 tickets to see games or to pay our 150 cable bill, to see the colts play. So we would like to voice ourselfs at the games,

Edited by joo 2h

Hey I def understand where you are coming from and respect your opinion, I was once a Caldwell supporter giving him due credit for bringing us to the playoffs and super bowl etc. But enough is enough, There are some things that are simply unexceptable that just aren't being corrected on the defensive side of the ball and that's the way we play tamp 2 causing all sorts of problems, something as simple as alignment on 1- 3 down can stop half the problems of pass defense but that's another story, if you care to read a post I made earlier called " the problem breakdown ", but I don't see the problem with fans expressing their discomfort with the current coach, if he was winning without manning I'm sure fans might chant something positive about him in the crowd. I'm not sure what your take on how he's coached the team but I would def like to hear your opinion on it if I may.

In my opinion, chanting would be utterly childish and serve no real purpose. I feel that Caldwell should move on at the end of the year, but he doesn't deserve to be chanted at like he's on the Jerry Springer Show. This is besides the point, but I've met the man a few times, and he's the nicest dude you could ever hope to come across.

Everyone should just wear antler hats...stare blankly at the field & sit on their hands the whole game. Don't cheer, boo or react in any way to anything that happens on the field. Just be like a sea of 50,000 + Caldwells. Maybe the front office will get it then.

You'd need to add 2 flashlights that are somehow shoulder-mounted to be facing back at you to get the full effect. :D I've gotta admit that would be funny to see. lol

No point in trying to spew negativity for Caldwell. The years already a bust and noone could fix that. Hopefully new coaching changes will be implemented next year on all fronts primarily HC, DC, & STC. I guess we will find out. Things need to change thats for sure, if they do get Andrew Luck/Landry or whoever (Pending on how many years Peyton has left) hopefully they won't be in the same situation Peyton has been in for all these years and they can put a great overall team around Luck or (insert name here) instead of putting the whole team on their back.

I posted my response in your quote sorry

You asked about my opinion on his coaching this team:

I'm not sure WHAT to think anymore. Its been a VERY tuff season, and its not over yet.

The fact that he got us to the Super bowl one year and now this is very confusing. I'm really not sure he should get most of the credit for the Super bowl year and I don't think he should get most of the bad credit for this year. The fact that our guys (up until the saints game) still looked to be involved have to bee noted. Its his style (like Dungy's) to treat the guys "like men". I'm starting to think Dungy would be having exactly the same success (or lack of) this year. Caldwell seems like a VERY nice guy so its hard for me to think of him getting booed or anything in public. he's one of us (Colts).

Personally, I put more of the blame on management because they wanted this "type" of guy. We had many veterans and I don't think management wanted an "in your face" kind of coach. They wanted a "manager". To a large extent, I feel like that is what they got. I was optimistic about caldwell because we seemed to be getting "bigger" at the point of attack like we wanted. I also feel perhaps Coyer is a bigger problem than Caldwell. I guess my biggest complaints about Caldwell are I would have liked to see more emotion and perhaps more "adustments" (as Jim would say) after halftime. But wasn't that Dungy too?

As you can see I'm rambling because I'm so confused and heart-broken for the guys on this team MORE than for myself. I HATE the "do what we do" philosophy but I'm not so sure Caldwell is behind that.

I guess my feelings are that management (Polian?) got what he wanted. a yes man who wouldn't rock the boat. The problem is, we didn't invest alot in the OL and DL, which I'm starting to really think are as important positions as any other. You HAVE to control the point of attack. The ravens were able to win a Super Bowl with trent Dilfer because of this. I think caldwell's hands, to some extent, were tied. Whether it was because of the "power" of management or allowing Manning to somewhat control things, Caldwell seemingly was somewhat controlled. If you can't tell, I hate judging people because I certainly have my own faults and couldn't coach this team myself. Its hard for me to judge someone on a job that I myself could not do and have no experience and little insight into.

I like Caldwell as a person and how he represented this team. Classy and professional. The players seemed to respect him too. I respect him as a man. I guess that is what makes this whole thing so difficult. I think management made a mistake hiring him tho i think (Dungy clone which is what they wanted) If you think about it, the only difference between him and Dungy was the fact that Caldwell doesn't have Manning (this year). If manning was playing this year, would we even be discussing this? I'm thinking no. I think the blame should fall more on management for allowing us to get in this position (player and team talent-wise) I'm not sure ANY coach would be having success this year with this team. The loss of manning I think clearly shows that.

To some extent, I'm just trying to not analyze this season at all. Its just too painfull and digs up feelings and thoughts I just don't like having. After all, at the end of the day, it's JUST a game. A game that brings me lots of enjoyment or pain, sure, but still just a game. I think to some extent caldwell was put in a bad situation. A situation that perhaps even Belicheck couldn't even have success.

Hope that helps.

You asked about my opinion on his coaching this team:

I'm not sure WHAT to think anymore. Its been a VERY tuff season, and its not over yet.

The fact that he got us to the Super bowl one year and now this is very confusing. I'm really not sure he should get most of the credit for the Super bowl year and I don't think he should get most of the bad credit for this year. The fact that our guys (up until the saints game) still looked to be involved have to bee noted. Its his style (like Dungy's) to treat the guys "like men". I'm starting to think Dungy would be having exactly the same success (or lack of) this year. Caldwell seems like a VERY nice guy so its hard for me to think of him getting booed or anything in public. he's one of us (Colts).

Personally, I put more of the blame on management because they wanted this "type" of guy. We had many veterans and I don't think management wanted an "in your face" kind of coach. They wanted a "manager". To a large extent, I feel like that is what they got. I was optimistic about caldwell because we seemed to be getting "bigger" at the point of attack like we wanted. I also feel perhaps Coyer is a bigger problem than Caldwell. I guess my biggest complaints about Caldwell are I would have liked to see more emotion and perhaps more "adustments" (as Jim would say) after halftime. But wasn't that Dungy too?

As you can see I'm rambling because I'm so confused and heart-broken for the guys on this team MORE than for myself. I HATE the "do what we do" philosophy but I'm not so sure Caldwell is behind that.

I guess my feelings are that management (Polian?) got what he wanted. a yes man who wouldn't rock the boat. The problem is, we didn't invest alot in the OL and DL, which I'm starting to really think are as important positions as any other. You HAVE to control the point of attack. The ravens were able to win a Super Bowl with trent Dilfer because of this. I think caldwell's hands, to some extent, were tied. Whether it was because of the "power" of management or allowing Manning to somewhat control things, Caldwell seemingly was somewhat controlled. If you can't tell, I hate judging people because I certainly have my own faults and couldn't coach this team myself. Its hard for me to judge someone on a job that I myself could not do and have no experience and little insight into.

I like Caldwell as a person and how he represented this team. Classy and professional. The players seemed to respect him too. I respect him as a man. I guess that is what makes this whole thing so difficult. I think management made a mistake hiring him tho i think (Dungy clone which is what they wanted) If you think about it, the only difference between him and Dungy was the fact that Caldwell doesn't have Manning (this year). If manning was playing this year, would we even be discussing this? I'm thinking no. I think the blame should fall more on management for allowing us to get in this position (player and team talent-wise) I'm not sure ANY coach would be having success this year with this team. The loss of manning I think clearly shows that.

To some extent, I'm just trying to not analyze this season at all. Its just too painfull and digs up feelings and thoughts I just don't like having. After all, at the end of the day, it's JUST a game. A game that brings me lots of enjoyment or pain, sure, but still just a game. I think to some extent caldwell was put in a bad situation. A situation that perhaps even Belicheck couldn't even have success.

Hope that helps.

Good post. Caldwell is a classy guy and even though I want him gone I don't want him embarrassed or anything. I actually feel bad for the guy. Jim will probably be the one to take the fall(because Polian won't) but Bill should be right there with him. I probably put more of this on Bill than Jim actually.

The way I see it he (caldwell) is the HC that means he has to take the blame just like every leader "should"....Manning does and if he were half as bad a QB as Caldwell is a HC the man would walk away from the game. If there is one thing that has been proven here it's that JIM did not take us to the SB THE MAN WAS JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE! but its time to kick his @&%# off the gravy train. This team has used Manning as a work horse for a long time and as far as Im concerned putting BIG JIM over there on the sidelines was just a way of adding more dead weight to the cart Manning has been pulling. He should step down and get the bleep out of town.....WE CAN NOT KEEP WASTING WHAT TIME WE HAVE LEFT WITH MANNING! (Jim your a good guy but a tick poor coach and you have proven that your not even fit for a management job at Mcdonalds so we are gonna have to let ya go) hmmmm that seems easy to say so I dont see the prob idk, ......its bed time for me, later Colts nation

If booing them out of the city against the Jets a couple of years ago didn't make them put the starters back in chanting fire Caldwell at a game isn't going to make them fire the coaches. Look Polian has pretty much made it know he doesn't care what the fans thinks so I don't think he's going to start listening to them now. If anything knowing Polian it'll just make him dig his heels in harder.

Well said... I agree if our fans come out acting like Philly fans after one bad defeat then... well....

it would just be really disappointing. Now if this horrible play continues then there is real reason to carry on. But in all reality, this team "could" have 3 wins very easily. But we don't because of...... :hush:

If booing them out of the city against the Jets a couple of years ago didn't make them put the starters back in chanting fire Caldwell at a game isn't going to make them fire the coaches. Look Polian has pretty much made it know he doesn't care what the fans thinks so I don't think he's going to start listening to them now. If anything knowing Polian it'll just make him dig his heels in harder.

I agree but this is a totally different situation. Then the fan base knew Manning was coming back. This time we don't. And there is a very real possibility he will not play again. And that will directly affect season ticket sales. I guarantee the Colt propaganda machine will be working full bore to keep us all happy. And if this bad play continues I see no way Caldwell stays in the big chair.

If he does keep his job and this team does not improve at all there will be a mass exodus of people not renewing ticket packages.

And that is not good.

I don't think chanting "Fire Caldwell" next game is a good idea.

We shouldn't ashame anybody that way, and this would be shaming Caldwell, embarrass and disturb the whole team.

The Team obviously playing bad, and I am sure it is pretty clear to Irsay, that change is needed in coaching, and he would take necessary measures. I think only question is when to fire Caldwell, right now or at the end of regular season.

We should rather encourage and support the team against Titans, instead of blaming.

We shouldn't ashame anybody that way, and this would be shaming Caldwell, embarrass and disturb the whole team.

The Team obviously playing bad, and I am sure it is pretty clear to Irsay, that change is needed in coaching, and he would take necessary measures. I think only question is when to fire Caldwell, right now or at the end of regular season.

We should rather encourage and support the team against Titans, instead of blaming.

100% correct!

Well, can't we do BOTH ? ? ?

Well, can't we do BOTH ? ? ?

Sure.

But chanting would be blaming to all Colts Nation.

We want to make our voice to be heard. Okay. Lets compose an open letter or a petition to Irsay, emphasizing, we are worried about our beloved team, are discontented with coaching, have lost our trust in HC, and we would like immediate measures to be taken to improve the situation.

Sure.

But chanting would be blaming to all Colts Nation.

We want to make our voice to be heard. Okay. Lets compose an open letter or a petition to Irsay, emphasizing, we are worried about our beloved team, are discontented with coaching, have lost our trust in HC, and we would like immediate measures to be taken to improve the situation.

Sent a letter to Irsay, Polian, Goodell, and Saturday during lockout. Heard nothing from Saturday or Goodell, Got a nice note from Polian, BUUUT.

Sitting at home one night, about 8:30, phone rings,

"Hello?"

"Jerry?"

"Yeah"

"This is Jim Irsay"....

Sorta half way expected something like that from him. We chatted about 20 minutes. Interesting that he sounded just like he does on TV. Also interesting he called from his personal phone, from his home. Did not use his secretary, or Polian, or even privatize his call. (Now have his cell phone #). But WHAT he said was what I HOPED, and suspected, he would say. He has the reputation of being one of the leagues best owners for good cause. I believe he IS SINCERELY concerned about his team's image with the fans. I also believe there WILL be changes forthcoming. He really is hands on, and Polian will do exactly as Jim says......

So don't hesitate to send him a letter. It doesn't need to be a petition, you can man up and send it one on one, but be prepared !!!.

I'm just sayin'.

The media has already been reporting that fans are upset with Caldwell and his staff ... not sure how much more fans need to or, can actually do at this point. It's up to the owner at this point, we are not going to affect that decision any more than we already have. If 500 season tickets were available next week, they would be bought up in minutes! As such I'd rather see us cheer the players on and be a positive 12th man instead of a negative one spewing negative energy.

Ohhh and yes, I would like to see the coaching staff hit the road as well; I just don't think doing something like this on a grand scale would add much to the situation - its obvious theres a problem and in time it will get fixed.

The media has already been reporting that fans are upset with Caldwell and his staff ... not sure how much more fans need to or, can actually do at this point. It's up to the owner at this point, we are not going to affect that decision any more than we already have. If 500 season tickets were available next week, they would be bought up in minutes! As such I'd rather see us cheer the players on and be a positive 12th man instead of a negative one spewing negative energy.

Ohhh and yes, I would like to see the coaching staff hit the road as well; I just don't think doing something like this on a grand scale would add much to the situation - its obvious theres a problem and in time it will get fixed.

Well, if it ain't done in January, here's 4 FOR SALE.