Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals punter as broken neck vertebrae, not just jaw from that massive hit that sprung a Steeler TD return

bayone

Besides story there is a close up video of hit  from few angles & small discussion of 3 weeks now of blown officiating  calls

The more time that passes since Steelers special teamer Terence Garvin's brutal hit on Bengals punter Kevin Huber Sunday night, the worse the news gets — for both of them, as well as for the NFL and its officials.

Garvin may face a fine for the hit, which cleared the way for Antonio Brown's 68-yard punt return early in Pittsburgh's rout of Cincinnati. ProFootballTalk.com reported Monday that Garvin is subject to being disciplined — and likely should have been flagged on the play — because kickers and punters are considered defenseless players.

The bad news for Huber is that, according to ESPN.com, he also suffered a cracked vertebrae in his neck along with a broken jaw and a bloody mouth. Post-game X-rays revealed the cracked vertebrae, the report said, citing sources. The NFL is reviewing the play, the report added. Ed Hochuli headed the officiating crew in the game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-16/bengals-punter-kevin-huber-broken-jaw-broken-vertebrae-nfl-reviewing-hit-fine-penalty-garvin?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D420411

ANOTHER STORY 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10147496/kevin-huber-cincinnati-bengals-injured-neck

I've broken seven (yeah) bones, and the one I would least want to break again would be my jaw. Incredibly uncomfortable, getting it wired shut was like medieval torture, and eating everything through a straw for weeks absolutely sucks.

Neck vertebrae though? No thanks, ouch.

Hope the guys recovers OK. It was a little over-the-top hit-wise.

I was shocked at the Hit,  at the "no penalty called", and amazed that he got up and walked off the field.

That Hit was Brutal, and uncalled for, as many have stated in this thread.

Still concerned and disgusted at the no penalty,  but More concerned about his health.   A broken neck can kill a person, or paralyze them for life.    Luckily neither was the case here,  but disgusting just the same.

Football is second nature to this, and just a game.....  We're talking about a man's life and well being here.

Wishing him a healthy, speedy recovery

i dint say he couldnt did i. i said it was nasty but come on people in football aint goin to think about it when laying someone out

Yes they do. He saw an easy target and took a cheap shot. It's not that difficult to land a cheap shot on someone on kick offs and interception returns....he just decided to do it.

i dint say he couldnt did i. i said it was nasty but come on people in football aint goin to think about it when laying someone out 

Have you played football? I know it is a quick reflex sport but I covered kickoffs in high school and played TE where I would crack back on unsuspecting LBs all the time. You don't have to kill someone to make a good block....sometimes you can even just turn a shoulder and let them run into you. If that isn't targeting I don't know what is. It is one thing if the tackler is running forward but he was running back looking completely in the other way...the kid knew what he was doing and took the opportunity to level him...leading with his helmet. Just because YOU CAN DO SOMETHING doesn't mean YOU SHOULD. Guy deserves a fine...

Have you played football? I know it is a quick reflex sport but I covered kickoffs in high school and played TE where I would crack back on unsuspecting LBs all the time. You don't have to kill someone to make a good block....sometimes you can even just turn a shoulder and let them run into you. If that isn't targeting I don't know what is. It is one thing if the tackler is running forward but he was running back looking completely in the other way...the kid knew what he was doing and took the opportunity to level him...leading with his helmet. Just because YOU CAN DO SOMETHING doesn't mean YOU SHOULD. Guy deserves a fine...

yep cause alot of players dont lead with the helmet these days and most players would take the opportunity to lay some out some people dont care if its a cheap shot they will still do it to try and make a name for themselves. our very own punter lead with his helmet it wasnt as bad but still doesnt make it right. 

The biggest thrill for me was knocking someone on their butt when they thought that they could do the same to you.   :)  What a natural high that was when the player was looking you in the eyes!

A punter wears little padding and IS a defenseless player....Unless of course his name is Pat McAfee!!!   :)   :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

The biggest thrill for me was knocking someone on their butt when they thought that they could do the same to you.   :)  What a natural high that was when the player was looking you in the eyes!

A punter wears little padding and IS a defenseless player....Unless of course his name is Pat McAfee!!!   :)   :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

Indeed...when a man is across from you or trying to make a tackle I agree 1000%...thats man time right there...but even if its a lb or bigger guy..if he wasn't looking I wasn't going to cheap shot him....i know I have to make the block but there is playing the right way and playing dirty...and thats wasn't me...whether it was basketball, football, or golf I played inside that code of honor....I hope the kicker is ok...and I hope this affects the other kid and he thinks twice next time before taking a shot at someone...kicker, lb, rb regardless it was poor sportsmanship.

Indeed...when a man is across from you or trying to make a tackle I agree 1000%...thats man time right there...but even if its a lb or bigger guy..if he wasn't looking I wasn't going to cheap shot him....i know I have to make the block but there is playing the right way and playing dirty...and thats wasn't me...whether it was basketball, football, or golf I played inside that code of honor....I hope the kicker is ok...and I hope this affects the other kid and he thinks twice next time before taking a shot at someone...kicker, lb, rb regardless it was poor sportsmanship.

I have to admit...as a catcher I loved to brush back hitters....then drop that big breaker right off of their ear over the plate....

I was all defense in basketball.....and was probably a little bit rough.....

I still do not remember any true 'cheap shots.'  Maybe an elbow or two that connected.

Nice posts DG!!!

yep cause alot of players dont lead with the helmet these days and most players would take the opportunity to lay some out some people dont care if its a cheap shot they will still do it to try and make a name for themselves. our very own punter lead with his helmet it wasnt as bad but still doesnt make it right.

Pat didn't lead with his helmet, he just hit the guy high.