Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Broncos fall off the Super Bowl express with loss to Chargers?

amfootball

http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci_24715391/hochman-did-broncos-fall-off-super-bowl-express-loss-chargers

Interesting read from Hochman, Denver Post writer. I think if NE hangs on to number one seed then Denver's SB hopes become much more difficult. Also their first round match up will be key. I am thinking the Bengals are their worst nightmare as they can play just like the Chargers and ball control and play stout D.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - quoting removed post

The Express only had Bubble Boy fans aboard. Real NFL knew the deal all along.  

After Miami beats the Pats this weekend, will you take your Uggs and go home....???

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - trolling
Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - trolling

Do Super Bowls XLII and XLVI   ring any bells....????   

Sure good hard fought games. How many SB's did Manning and the Colts even make it to? Miami isn't a SB team. The Patriots have had trouble with the Phins over the years but Brady is the anti-Manning. He's 90% likely to win a big game.

Sure good hard fought games. Miami isn't a SB team. The Patriots have had trouble with the Phins over the years but Brady is the anti-Manning. He's 90% likely to win a big game.

okay got it.   The game against Miami is much bigger than the two Super losses.

Thanks for clearing that up.

2005 Steelers - 7-2 start, 11-5 finish as #6 seed, win SB

2006 Colts - 9-0 start, 12-4 finish as #3 seed, win SB

2007 Giants - 6-2 start, 10-6 finish as #5 seed, win SB

2008 Steelers - Consistent from start to finish to finish 12-4, won SB

2009 Saints - 13-0 start, lose last 3, win SB

2010 Packers - 6-2 start, injuries lead to 10-6 record, rally as #6 seed to win SB

2011 Giants - 6-2 start, 9-7 record as #4 division winner, win SB

2012 Ravens - 9-2 start, lose 3 out of last 5, end up 11-5 as #4 seed, win SB

EDIT: Correction, 2012 Ravens lost 4 out of last 5 to finish 10-6

All of them have this in common, a 6-2 start at least, suffer a few bumps and bruises, but rally to win

It has been rare to see a team not have a loss in its last 5 games win the SB since the 2003 Patriots.

This loss might actually turn out to be good for the Broncos in the long run along the following reasons.This will give a reason to re-focus, play out the season without resting starters and stay in rhythm more so on the offensive side while getting defensive starters healthy and ready.

Unlike the 2005 season where the Peyton led Colts were 13-0 and lost to the Chargers, this 13 game home streak also snapped by the Chargers for the Broncos has less of an impact on the offensive rhythm due to the fact that the Chiefs and Patriots will still be in the mix forcing the Broncos to play it out. Long term, this loss would be the best thing to have happened to the Broncos.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - trolling
Hidden by Nadine, December 13, 2013 - trolling

okay got it.   The game against Miami is much bigger than the two Super losses.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Who said that? Better to have played and lost than have never played at all. Peyton and the Colts only played in two SB's total. And Bubble Boy blew one with a pick-6.

It doesn't really change. They are a high powered offense that outscores everyone, and stands on a leg of it's own. They are a defense that relies on the offense to put up 40 points. The defense needs to rely ON THE DEFENSE.

If Peyton puts up 40 every game, which he can, they can make it to the Super Bowl. But what really needs to happen is JDR and his defense need to find themselves.

2010 Packers - 6-2 start, injuries lead to 10-6 record, rally as #6 seed to win SB

All of them have this in common, a 6-2 start at least, suffer a few bumps and bruises, but rally to win

It has been rare to see a team not have a loss in its last 5 games win the SB since the 2003 Patriots.

This loss might actually turn out to be good for the Broncos in the long run along the following reasons.This will give a reason to re-focus, play out the season without resting starters and stay in rhythm more so on the offensive side while getting defensive starters healthy and ready.

Unlike the 2005 season where the Peyton led Colts were 13-0 and lost to the Chargers, this 13 game home streak also snapped by the Chargers for the Broncos has less of an impact on the offensive rhythm due to the fact that the Chiefs and Patriots will still be in the mix forcing the Broncos to play it out. Long term, this loss would be the best thing to have happened to the Broncos.

Those were all great teams except for the Giants. They sucked.

It doesn't really change. They are a high powered offense that outscores everyone, and stands on a leg of it's own. They are a defense that relies on the offense to put up 40 points. The defense needs to rely ON THE DEFENSE.

If Peyton puts up 40 every game, which he can, they can make it to the Super Bowl. But what really needs to happen is JDR and his defense need to find themselves.

Like I said, this loss was what they needed going into the postseason to re-focus. Now, they will be hearing it for a LONG time, for about 10 days, the defense, as to why they couldn't get off the field. Sometimes, a loss at the end of the season lights a fire bigger than a win. Ask the 2006 Colts, 2012 Ravens who lost 3 out of their last 4 and 4 out of their last 5 respectively, and how their Ds responded in the playoffs to help out their O. 

Every PO bound team needs the D to step up.

Those were all great team except for the Giants. They sucked.

The 2006 Colts were tested more than the 2005 Colts. But talent wise, the 2005 Colts was probably much better and most of us Colts fans could attest to that.

The 2001 Patriots team was not the best team in the league along the same lines but they were gritty. The best or great teams do not win the SB most of the time.

The only thing that matters is how the teams step up once they are in the playoffs. That is the only way one can explain the Giants' 2 SB runs, and the wild card #6 seeds in the Steelers and Packers winning. Heck, if the punter does not kick it to DeSean jackson for a game ending punt return TD, the Packers don't make the playoffs. Weird, how the ball bounces and how teams make the most out of it once they are in the playoffs.

Like I said, this loss was what they needed going into the postseason to re-focus. Now, they will be hearing it for a LONG time, for about 10 days, the defense, as to why they couldn't get off the field. Sometimes, a loss at the end of the season lights a fire bigger than a win. Ask the 2006 Colts, 2012 Ravens who lost 3 out of their last 4 and 4 out of their last 5 respectively, and how their Ds responded in the playoffs to help out their O.

The Patriots loss was supposed to refocus them.

The 2006 Colts were tested more than the 2005 Colts. But talent wise, the 2005 Colts was probably much better and most of us Colts fans could attest to that.

The 2001 Patriots team was not the best team in the league along the same lines but they were gritty. The best or great teams do not win the SB most of the time.

Good post and ringing with truth. Give me a gritty team any day of the week and twice on SB Sunday.

great post .. . . yes a lot of SB winners have lost games late in the season and/or had a 2nd season slump . . .

the only caveat I would point out is that last night was a game in playoff type conditions, cold and against a playoff or near playoff team . . . and Denver has not fair well in the last two seasons in these combination of conditions, of coarse they can help change this next month . . . we will see how indicative this game was moving forward . . . they still control their division and have a solid shot at the one seed . . . and also control their position for a bye too . . .

This is also the reason I believe the Colts will not be one-and-done. Don't judge the Colts based on their bumps and bruises, I have faith that they will get it together for the wild card game at the least. I believe, more than some other fellow Colts fans do!!! :)

They sure looked like crud last night to a 6-7 team at home!

Not making any excuses for them but San Diego is a much better team than that record indicates. Look at what they did to the Colts. And, just like the Colts, Denver had lots of player injured and I think the schedule just caught up to them. They have ten days before the next game and that will get some injured players back and some rest for a very tired team. The rest won't hurt Peyton either.  :D

They where talking about this on NFL AM.

Thing is the Pat's remaining schedule is much tougher then the Bronco's.  And they have to do it without their best player not named Tom Brady.

It's certainly possible the Pats win out and capture the #1 seed.  But with their remaining schedule and Gronk out of the picture, a loss isn't out of the question.  

I thought the Pats game was the game they needed to refocus? Or the Colts? You know what they say, 1 means nothing, 2 is a concern and 3 is a pattern. Fact is this Denver team is not that good. Scoring 40 in every single playoff game is a ridiculous expectation no matter how well Peyton has played in the regular season.

I thought the Pats game was the game they needed to refocus? Or the Colts? You know what they say, 1 means nothing, 2 is a concern and 3 is a pattern. Fact is this Denver team is not that good. Scoring 40 in every single playoff game is a ridiculous expectation no matter how well Peyton has played in the regular season.

Like I said, the loss to the Chargers is a pattern of defense relying on offense to score in the high 30s, I agree on that aspect.

But the loss to a non-division leader, unlike the Pats or Colts, is by comparison, a loss to a team worse than the Pats or Colts, IMO (still believe Colts are a better team).

Only time will tell, no one knows at this point for sure. If this does not light a fire for the Broncos' D, nothing will EVER do so.

Like I said, the loss to the Chargers is a pattern of defense relying on offense to score in the high 30s, I agree on that aspect.

But the loss to a non-division leader, unlike the Pats or Colts, is by comparison, a loss to a team worse or more inconsistent than the Pats or Colts, IMO.

Only time will tell, no one knows at this point for sure. If this does not light a fire for the Broncos' D, nothing will EVER do so.

I think the Denver D does not lack effort or desire, it lacks talent and coaching. Its problems are not fixable. Not this season anyways. They have been consistently bad against good teams and bad teams. It's Manning or bust for them. I think that is clear at this point.

Belichick and all the Pats' players say they just focus on their own business, but knowing that you're in the driver's seat, and that your team has flaws that will be at least partially covered up if you can play at home, has got to be huge motivation to go out and take care of these last three winnable games. If they slip up in Miami I would be surprised. Less so when they go to Baltimore next week... regardless of schedules, the Ravens play them tough and are a difficult matchup for NE. Buffalo at home to close things out isn't as easy as it looks on paper. Division games are often very tight, and nothing would make the Bills and their fans happier to deal a blow to NE late in the season.

I think the Denver D does not lack effort or desire, it lacks talent and coaching. Its problems are not fixable. Not this season anyways. They have been consistently bad against good teams and bad teams. It's Manning or bust for them. I think that is clear at this point.

Talent - I think they do if they get some key players healthy, like Derek Wolfe that is a good pass rusher on the interior and Wesley Woodyard back to MLB. Not sure if Champ Bailey will ever be able to contribute again at a high level.

Coaching - I agree, JDR and John Fox are overrated.

SD "inconsistency" has been purely because of how thin the talent is especially on D.  Our O-line went through 16 different configurations due to massive injuries, including moving Fluker to left tackle which he hadn't played since high school. In the first game he played LT, they also warned our Nose Tackle that he was the next man up for OL replacement (talk about a scary thought!)

Our secondary has been the issue all year long, but these past two games they've played much better.  The secondary was the main reason we lost so many games by one score in the last 15 seconds.  We should be at the minimum at 9-5, the D gave away those games.

This game and the Giants game were the first with virtually everyone back on the field.  Great teams have the depth to survive injuries and be consistent.  We aren't there... yet.  If Telesco can have another draft or 2 even near the quality of his first, we'll be there.

It's awesome to me how a second divisional game on Thursday night has entirely derailed the Broncos.

Overreaction_393761_334848.jpg

May have cost them the #1 seed and if they falter again and KC wins out they will be the 5 seed. They were thought to have had the AFC locked up so it cost them positioning that may or may not derail their chance at the SB.

May have cost them the #1 seed and if they falter again and KC wins out they will be the 5 seed. They were thought to have had the AFC locked up so it cost them positioning that may or may not derail their chance at the SB.

And if New England falters down the stretch they lose their first round bye. And the Broncos schedule is more favorable at this point than the Patriots.