Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB Need -- Run stopper or coverage backer?

Superman

Which do we need more?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do we need more?

• Run stopper
    • Coverage backer

In a perfect world, we'd find or have an inside linebacker who is a monster against the run and great in coverage. Actually, we'd have two of them, like the Niners with Willis and Bowman. The world is NOT perfect, and after looking at a lot of the free agents and draft prospects at ILB, I think we'd be better off getting a guy who can do one or the other really well, rather than one who is average at both.

So if you had to choose between an inside backer who was excellent against the run, but struggled in coverage, vs one who isn't that good against the run but covers really well, which would you choose? Which do you think would complement our current defensive personnel the best? Which would make the most difference to our defense?

Actually I would rather have a player that was just good at both. I really don't want a ILB that specializes in 1 or the other, if I'm strictly following the choices your giving. I'm mean your asking if I want a player that great at 1 thing but below average at the other? No I don't want that. I want players i can count on every down.

Since Manusky wants to play straight up man coverage with the CBs, you need at least one ILB that is a run stopper.  That is one of the problems with the D since Toler went down, the LBers are being asked to drop into zone coverage more. Angerer is decent in coverage and Freeman is below average.

If the Colts don't get a 3rd CB in the offseason that can handle man coverage on the outside then I think an ILB that is better at coverage is the way to go.

Actually I would rather have a player that was just good at both. I really don't want a ILB that specializes in 1 or the other, if I'm strictly following the choices your giving. I'm mean your asking if I want a player that great at 1 thing but below average at the other? No I don't want that. I want players i can count on every down.

Let me ask you this: Do you think we have any every down linebackers right now? 

Since Manusky wants to play straight up man coverage with the CBs, you need at least one ILB that is a run stopper.  That is one of the problems with the D since Toler went down, the LBers are being asked to drop into zone coverage more. Angerer is decent in coverage and Freeman is below average.

If the Colts don't get a 3rd CB in the offseason that can handle man coverage on the outside then I think an ILB that is better at coverage is the way to go.

Sounds like you're over the entire linebacking corps. Do you think anyone we have right now is adequate as an every down backer?

If I had to choose, I went with run stopper. I think Freeman could be the coverage guy. I know people love Freeman, but he is not a prototypical 3-4 ILBer. We need a real 3-4 ILBer that can smash his way through blockers and stop the run.

We do. He just doesn't get to play (Connor)

If I had to choose, I went with run stopper. I think Freeman could be the coverage guy. I know people love Freeman, but he is not a prototypical 3-4 ILBer. We need a real 3-4 ILBer that can smash his way through blockers and stop the run.

Harvey can actually do that but he sucks so bad in coverage its hard to put him out there cause he would get exposed

How about somebody like Smallwood who can do both?

in todays nfl u need guys who can cover and run, 

Someone who is good at both

I believe he stated that obviously it would be better to have an ILB good at both.  But those type of players are pretty rare.

Bad isn't the word for Harvey's coverage. Putrid, nauseating, and embarrassing is more like it. 

We can do that and play cover 1, putting a safety in man coverage and sending five rushers. The problem is Bethea can't cover anymore, and Landry isn't trustworthy in man coverage.

a "monster" D has to have a stud a ILB and we don't have one.  I have said this since before the season started.  Angerer is garbage and Freeman will be solid as a 2nd ILB.  We are missing the leader of our D still.  I hope we draft us a stud to hold our D together for many years

In a perfect world, we'd find or have an inside linebacker who is a monster against the run and great in coverage. Actually, we'd have two of them, like the Niners with Willis and Bowman. The world is NOT perfect, and after looking at a lot of the free agents and draft prospects at ILB, I think we'd be better off getting a guy who can do one or the other really well, rather than one who is average at both.

So if you had to choose between an inside backer who was excellent against the run, but struggled in coverage, vs one who isn't that good against the run but covers really well, which would you choose? Which do you think would complement our current defensive personnel the best? Which would make the most difference to our defense?

I am not sure it makes any sense to take anyone who is weak at either skill. But, to answer your question in the pass happy NFL, give me the cover guy. Not that many teams are built to beat you on the ground.  :D

We can do that and play cover 1, putting a safety in man coverage and sending five rushers. The problem is Bethea can't cover anymore, and Landry isn't trustworthy in man coverage.

Yeah, Bethea has became a huge liability. It's time to part ways with him after the season IMO. Landry would be alright if he would just wrap up and tackle instead of trying to clean everybody's clock every time.

I chose run stopper because in our division , it will definitely be a matter of us stopping MJD, CJ0K and Foster 1st, so the likes of Mathis and Werner can try and tee off on whoever the QB is ( most likely all draft picks of this year for our division)

What about the other ten games a year? What about the passing teams in the playoffs? I don't have a problem with wanting to be strong against the run, but I do have a problem building your team based off what your division does well. For instance, what happens if the Texans get rid of Foster (which they should), if MJD walks in Jacksonville (he won't, but even if he stays, he's not a dynamic back anymore), and if CJ gets cut in Tennessee? Now you've built your team to stop three guys you don't even face anymore.

By the way, we've done pretty well against CJ and MJD this year. Haven't even played Foster, and won't.

He didn't pratcie week 12 and 13 and was FP on Wed. and Thu. of last week.

He was barely getting PT before then anyway.

Sometimes reserve guys get romanticized among the fans. I think Conner should play more (if/when healthy), but I don't think he's the thumper we're talking about.

What about the other ten games a year? What about the passing teams in the playoffs? I don't have a problem with wanting to be strong against the run, but I do have a problem building your team based off what your division does well. For instance, what happens if the Texans get rid of Foster (which they should), if MJD walks in Jacksonville (he won't, but even if he stays, he's not a dynamic back anymore), and if CJ gets cut in Tennessee? Now you've built your team to stop three guys you don't even face anymore.

By the way, we've done pretty well against CJ and MJD this year. Haven't even played Foster, and won't.

I understand you point and appreciate it. With that being said, I feel we need to have ILBs that can set the run and can't stop the QB run, whilst at the same time we need to add to the pass rushing element. Because if our IlBs can stop the run, then to pass, we can try to get pressure to the QB and try stop the pass. A very optimistic and basic view but something along those lines.

So for ILB- draft Shayne Skov

Dline: Arthur Jones- he can stop the run and if needed rush the QB

Sometimes reserve guys get romanticized among the fans. I think Conner should play more (if/when healthy), but I don't think he's the thumper we're talking about.

lol I hardly "romanticize" him. I just think he's better than Angerer (which isn't saying much)

I understand you point and appreciate it. With that being said, I feel we need to have ILBs that can set the run and can't stop the QB run, whilst at the same time we need to add to the pass rushing element. Because if our IlBs can stop the run, then to pass, we can try to get pressure to the QB and try stop the pass. A very optimistic and basic view but something along those lines.

So for ILB- draft Shayne Skov

Dline: Arthur Jones- he can stop the run and if needed rush the QB

What are the chances Skov lasts until the end of the second round? I think slim to none. If anything, I see him moving up into the first round. He's one of the more complete ILB prospects in the draft, and he can play strongside backer in a 4-3 defense, so plenty of teams will have their eye on him.

As for Arthur Jones, I think we're okay at DE/DT. Redding has another year on his deal, and Hughes has looked good lately. RJF has done just fine, despite the protests from fans. I'd rather have Jones than Redding, but I don't think we should get rid of Redding to make room for Jones.

Sounds like you're over the entire linebacking corps. Do you think anyone we have right now is adequate as an every down backer?

Not all, I actually think the Colts LBers are pretty good.  I just think they have been asked to do things that are not their strength since Toler went down. I think Angerer is a good every down back.  He is good at stopping the run and he is good in coverage but he's not great at either.   I think if the Colts get back to playing more man with the CBs than Freeman is a great LBer for the D, he will make plays in the running game from hash mark to hash mark (doesn't quite of the top end speed to be a sideline to sideline type player, but that is what Walden is for... to prevent it from getting to the sideline).

Conner is a good run stopper but again he is limited in his range... more of a between the tackles type.

I don't know enough about the other back-ups like Studebaker to really know how they'd fit.