Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching

TheJACKCOLT

A good coach takes the talent he has and puts them in the best position to have success. Running a power running attack when you have a weak O-line is just stupid, as a coach you can't just say this is what we are going to be, you have to look at what you have and then decide what you're going to do. The same thing with the defense. To run man to man coverage all the time, no matter how much talent you have in the secondary, you have to have a good pass rush, if you don't have a good pass rush (you can't run man-to-man coverage all the time. This coaching staff does not put the players in the best position for success. Pagano does not hold players accountable when they do screw up. I could not believe he didn't pull Shepard out of the game and chew his butt out, after the taunting call. When a player makes a selfish, stupid mental error like that, you pull him and make sure he understands, boneheaded plays like that will not be tolerated. Pagano did nothing. I'm not calling for Pagano to be fired, nor Manusky or Hamilton. I'm just pointing out that a lot of the Colts problems are because of the coach's, whether it's poor clock management and use of timeouts, to lack of discipline and player accountability, to taking the talent you have and playing to their strengths and playing the style that is best suited to their abilities. Bottom line this coaching staff does not put this team in the best position to win. You can not ask a team to do things they are not capable of doing, you put them in a position to do things they are capable of doing. Thanks for letting me vent.

Meh, tricky tack flag on the unsportsmanlike like conduct. For the rest of your post, I don't know.

He taunted right in the players face.  Penalty if caught every time this year. Just stupid to either not be told or to not know. Really dumb on his part and it was the right call.  Agree with OP, should have been yanked out immediately and chewed, instead, stayed in the game and I was stunned to see it as well.  As for the rest of the post, 50/50.

They burned us in zone yesterday too. GRUDEN knew to Abuse our linebackers and did it all game long.

We have NO LB that can cover. NcNary played more yesterday, and I would hope more each week going forward.

I don`t know what you think Satele & McGlynn CAN Do better that won`t continue to hurt us. McGlynn to the bench was good.

For nearly a decade, the Colts were the standard in Class. We had players who were upstanding, and did not commit stupid personal fouls such that I have seen this season. Our players, for the most part, didn't embarrass the city in the off-season (except for our former crazy punter Vanderjagt) and I believe were looked upon by the rest of the NFL community with respect.

I am disappointed to see that we are allowing are standards for conduct to slip. Do players reflect the coach? I once thought so under the Dungy years, but that seems to be passé in today's NFL.

(sorry for the essay of a reply here.....)

I couldnt have put it much better myself, however there are one or two things to note.

I agree entirely with the coaching not adapting to opposing offenses and defences, Manusky and Hamilton have been making some questionable decisions this season and it is certainly cause for concern. However whilst it is not an excuse to keep blindly playing the same schemes, injuries have seriously seriously crippled this team this season. Do not underestimate the loss of Dwayne Allen to this offense as well as the loss of Thornton. Allen is a fantastic blocker and makes a huge difference to our passing game in terms of protecting luck and catching the ball and making plays downfield. Fleener has done very well picking up the slack but he just cannot block with the same efficiency and skill that Allen can. The thinning of our O line has made it go from distinctly average to downright awful. The reason I am slightly defending Hamilton here is that before all of the key injuries, our offense was producing, and producing well. When we get key players back next season I am genuinely excited to see what this offense can really do. Obviously adjustments should be being made, but I am happy for Hamilton to stick around to figure this out.

I am much more worried about our defensive side of the ball. Looking at Vontae Davis, I am seriously worried that Grigson is going to offer him a lot of money and considering his play since the Denver game, he really does not deserve it. I think he needs to have a Aqib Talib/Domonique Rogers Cromartie prove it single year deal in order to hopefully come out a bit more and play to his potential. I think we overspent in the off season on some D linemen and linebackers that cannot and have not set the edge this season and miss a lot of tackles. If not for Freeman and Redding and Mathis, our D line and linebackers would probably be the worst in the league. Walden, Shepherd, Angerer and Conner are inconsistent to say the least... 

The DB's started the season rather well and I was especially surprised with Butlers play, he is absolutely great in the nickel but when he is forced to start for Toler and Vaughn/Gordy, he doesnt quite stack up against players like AJ Green and Andre Johnson etc. Injuries in the secondary have absolutely destroyed our ability to play man coverage which is basically the backbone of our DB's play.... Until we get everyone back healthy Manusky needs to figure that out pronto... Which I havent seen any signs of happening unfortunately...

I think there is still hope for this post season, there have definitely been signs of improvement over the last 5 games. I can see the final three weeks being used to figure it all out in times for the playoffs... you never know, we could get hot in the next three weeks at exactly the right time, the offense showed signs of coming to life on some drives last week... just figure out those slow starts and we are more than halfway there.

For nearly a decade, the Colts were the standard in Class. We had players who were upstanding, and did not commit stupid personal fouls such that I have seen this season. Our players, for the most part, didn't embarrass the city in the off-season (except for our former crazy punter Vanderjagt) and I believe were looked upon by the rest of the NFL community with respect.I am disappointed to see that we are allowing are standards for conduct to slip. Do players reflect the coach? I once thought so under the Dungy years, but that seems to be passé in today's NFL.

Farley had a point that refs are calling taunting much more this year, not just on us.

Farley had a point that refs are calling taunting much more this year, not just on us.

True, but ripping someone's helmet off and then head butting them was over the line. Yesterday, we had a player rip off a bengals player's helmet to draw a penalty also, but I'm still not sure that was intentional. I don't think you can deny we are not the squeaky clean team we used to be even if the refs are calling it more.

True, but ripping someone's helmet off and then head butting them was over the line. Yesterday, we had a player rip off a bengals player's helmet to draw a penalty also, but I'm still not sure that was intentional. I don't think you can deny we are not the squeaky clean team we used to be even if the refs are calling it more.

That headbutt was stupid and Walden was dealt with, plus he owed it. I'm not sure any team is squeaky clean or that we ever were. I think overall our team still has good character. We had some issues before the season but they were handled.

The taunting penalty drives me nuts. Players talk all the time who cares! And kelvins wasn't even thaatt bad

He deserved it. Go back to the huddle and act like you've been there before. We make 5 crappy plays in a row and then we make a decent play and act like we conquered the world. Dumb play, good call.

A couple of thoughts:

What would the Titans and Jaguars give to have a coach that turned around a 2-14 team into a team that has gone to the playoffs their first two years? Pagano has taken us there twice in two years, although an argument can be made that that Luck and Arians have had a larger part in that. From their perspective, we're luck to have Pagano.

I also think that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL and I use him as the benchmark. How good would the Colts be with him as the head coach? My guess is that we would be amongst the best in the league even with out injuries. They've weathered their injury storm and have the inside track at the second seed.

A couple of thoughts:

What would the Titans and Jaguars give to have a coach that turned around a 2-14 team into a team that has gone to the playoffs their first two years? Pagano has taken us there twice in two years, although an argument can be made that that Luck and Arians have had a larger part in that. From their perspective, we're luck to have Pagano.

I also think that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL and I use him as the benchmark. How good would the Colts be with him as the head coach? My guess is that we would be amongst the best in the league even with out injuries. They've weathered their injury storm and have the inside track at the second seed.

Pagano had nothing to do with HC duties last year...Arians ran the show and made the decisions.

'"Decisions" is something Pagano does not seem able to handle.

Pagano had nothing to do with HC duties last year...Arians ran the show and made the decisions.

'"Decisions" is something Pagano does not seem able to handle.

To say Pagano had nothing to do with HC duties last year is a stretch. You may not like Pagano's decision making, but he was coaching from the hospital while he battled cancer. You can't take that away from him no matter how much you want to disregard it.

To say Pagano had nothing to do with HC duties last year is a stretch. You may not like Pagano's decision making, but he was coaching from the hospital while he battled cancer. You can't take that away from him no matter how much you want to disregard it.

Nonsense! 

Pagano was allowed to "watch" from the hospital as it seemed to help his recovery from all the chemo he was undergoing...he was not allowed to coach from there by his doctors.

Arians ran the whole show as HC and OC.

Nonsense! 

Pagano was allowed to "watch" from the hospital as it seemed to help his recovery from all the chemo he was undergoing...he was not allowed to coach from there by his doctors.

Arians ran the whole show as HC and OC.

"We've got to watch how much we go after him because his strength right now is critical," Arians said. "But he's watching every practice, he's got his IPad streaming and if he sees something, he'll text me. Mostly by text. If it's something big, we'll talk.

"We'll be in our meetings, he'll text [defensive coordinator] Greg [Manusky] what he sees on defense, me on offense. It's fun having him that active. I think it's helping him."

-Arians

Pagano's press conference on the aftermath show was pathetic and embarrassing. Saying we had one of our goals in preseason accomplished by winning our division and so on. Yeah nuttin like backing into it not to mention while accomplishing it playing some of the worst football in the league since they started 6-2. Nuttin to be proud of under the circumstances.

he was not coaching from the hospital

Really I think our coaches have installed a winning system here . We went from the worst team in the NFL to going to the playoffs 2 years in row I truly believe once we get the last pieces to the puzzle we will be dominate and just pound teams into the ground . Most coaches would have called this a lost season after all the key injuries but we keep playing to win no matter how far we are down or what backups we have had to play . 

Really I think our coaches have installed a winning system here . We went from the worst team in the NFL to going to the playoffs 2 years in row I truly believe once we get the last pieces to the puzzle we will be dominate and just pound teams into the ground . Most coaches would have called this a lost season after all the key injuries but we keep playing to win no matter how far we are down or what backups we have had to play . 

We're also the only team in history with a winning record and a negative point differential.

Pagano is a defensive backs coach which shows because the db's have been good most of the year. He's not a good x's and o's coach, he talked about stopping the run as his main focus but were 28th in run defense. Obviously he won't get fired this year but if he doesn't change his philosophy of "run the ball stop the run" in a passing era he will be on the hot seat next year. He has to make it an uptempo offense that's what Luck is great at.

Pagano is a defensive backs coach which shows because the db's have been good most of the year. He's not a good x's and o's coach, he talked about stopping the run as his main focus but were 28th in run defense. Obviously he won't get fired this year but if he doesn't change his philosophy of "run the ball stop the run" in a passing era he will be on the hot seat next year. He has to make it an uptempo offense that's what Luck is great at.

The NFL is a passing league now...if you don't pass the ball well, you don't win.

'Ground' Chuck has been left behind on this one.

Ok so ill take a gander at this...

1st my problems with Pagano are the following.

1. He seems relunctant to change... anything personnel or anything. Does this also drip down to his coordinators? Maybe...

2 he is supposedly a defensive guru. Why is he not improving it then? Our D has no excuse unlike our Offense.

3. His in game management is... very very bad. No time outs always playing not to lose instead of to win.

4. Players flat out dont look motivated. This is a huge huge huge problem. For some reason we just look awfully unenthusiastic out there until we are 14 down....

5. He deserves no credit for last year. I hate Arians as on OC made it very clear I thought he was a mistake but he sure did show he is head coach material. Pagano has not period.

Coordinators I have mixed emotions on... lets do Manusky first.

1. He can come out with excellent game plans (see Denver game) and then have just flat out horrid ones... but then how much of this is Pagano trying to keep the same plan but do it better? Dunno

2. His blitz calls suck

3. His LB coach or LB fundamentals has to be * poor because our LBs seem to be getting worse each game. They do not play sound and none of them can cover...

So now lets talk about Hamilton.

1. I never followed Pep before but I love his style of O. My problem with him though is he doesnt adjust to injury. This may be his inexperience but he needs to learn.

2. Peps offense was humming when completely healthy im hoping that is the accurate reflection and not what we have seen lately.

3. I hope Pep does not give up on running the ball I just wish he would run with our tackles more and out of shotgun. This would be my biggest complaint. Without a route runner taking 2 on an intermediate route opponents Defenses have to much up the middle.

Just my take :-)

"We've got to watch how much we go after him because his strength right now is critical," Arians said. "But he's watching every practice, he's got his IPad streaming and if he sees something, he'll text me. Mostly by text. If it's something big, we'll talk.

"We'll be in our meetings, he'll text [defensive coordinator] Greg [Manusky] what he sees on defense, me on offense. It's fun having him that active. I think it's helping him."

-Arians

A few texts isnt coaching the team... sorry but I dont think Pagano deserves any credit for last year as Arians has proven it wasnt a fluke or all "Chuck Strong". Even though I just do not like Arians as an OC I will give him credit where it is due. His teams (when he is head coach) look ready to play with energy and prepared. He may not always have the best game plans but it is often he has a team ready to compete from the beginning of the 1st to end of the 4th. Plus he manages the game good as well (timeouts and game decisions).

Several things on coaching.  It's becoming a major excuse from us the fans because we don't want to blame players for bad play and acknowledge injuries, especially on offense are a MAJOR issue right now.  Now does that mean the coaching has been perfect?  No.  Far from it.  One thing I am really taking issue with are the just flat out stupid personal fouls the Colts have been taking.  That's lack of discipline and I will lay that at the coach's feet. 

From there I've several myths that have popped up. 

First the idea that we are handcuffing Andrew Luck.  I laid this out in another thread by breaking down the first 16 plays of the Bengals game of how that's not true.  On the first two drives we called ONE running play.  That's hardly taking the ball out of Luck's hands and depending on the run.  We've come out passing the past few weeks and have still struggled to move the ball.  Guys just aren't getting open. 

Next the idea we refuse to come out of a man-to-man defense.  This was true for a little while but we have been mixing in some zone the past couple of weeks and I am starting to see why we didn't use it before.  We are getting killed in it.  Our guys just aren't the personal for a zone defense. 

Next the idea this coaching staff doesn't know how to adjust.  Someone really needs to explain all these second half comebacks to me then if they don't know how to adjust.  Either the coaches are adjusting or the guys are making plays in the second half they weren't in the first half.  If it's the later then I got news for you the coaching isn't the problem.  Now I would buy the idea their game plans to start games aren't always the best.  I heard a theory on the radio today that I think might be true.  It could be the coaches aren't good at game planning but are good at adjusting as the game goes along.

The idea we don't blitz the other team.  We blitzed a lot on Sunday they just didn't get home.  Some of that might be play design but it could also be our guys just don't have the talent needed.  Also the Bengals o-line is really good Dalton hasn't been sacked since Week 10. 

Look again, there have been coaching mistakes along the way but the biggest problem with this team is that they are year two into a total roster make over.  While Grigson has done a great job of bringing in talent to make us a playoff team in two straight years the one thing this team could not afford was injuries.  We don't have the depth yet to withstand them.  Offense has been well documented but they have been an issue on defense as well. 

As crazy as it sounds to think losing your number two corner could be such a huge issue it has been.  Before he went out the Colts defense was giving up 18 points a game.  Since he's been out they are giving up like 36 a game.  That's almost a 20 point swing.  Here is why I think him being out has hurt us so much.

The Colts secondary was the strength of the defense.  They had a really good group of guys back there.  Butler who was a really good nickel corner and we are now seeing why the Colts wanted to leave him there and not make him the number two corner.  Toler who was a pretty solid number two he was going to give up some catches now and then but could handle most teams number two WRs and other teams number ones with some safety help and Davis who is a legit number one corner. 

Together they made the other team's QB hold the ball which let our pass rush get to the QB.  In the NFL there are two ways to get pass rush.  One is what the Colts did with Freeney and Mathis for year have some elite pass rushers or a really good blitzing defense that is just going to get there and makes the other teams QB dump the ball within three seconds or he's getting sacked.  The other is have your secondary hold up long enough to let your pass rush get there.  That's what the Colts were leaning on at the start of the season because outside of Mathis they don't have another legit pass rusher on this team.  Without Toler the secondary is struggling to hold up as long and the Colts are having a major issue getting a pass rush which lets the other team's QB sit back there and just pick us apart. 

A few texts isnt coaching the team... sorry but I dont think Pagano deserves any credit for last year as Arians has proven it wasnt a fluke or all "Chuck Strong". Even though I just do not like Arians as an OC I will give him credit where it is due. His teams (when he is head coach) look ready to play with energy and prepared. He may not always have the best game plans but it is often he has a team ready to compete from the beginning of the 1st to end of the 4th. Plus he manages the game good as well (timeouts and game decisions).

Well, this is a forum and you're certainly welcome to express your opinions. I think we're at a disagreement and that's fine. I do think that Pagano should be given credit for coaching some of the games last year, and would not entirely give all of the credit to Arians, who I think did a good job.

Well, this is a forum and you're certainly welcome to express your opinions. I think we're at a disagreement and that's fine. I do think that Pagano should be given credit for coaching some of the games last year, and would not entirely give all of the credit to Arians, who I think did a good job.

Agreed.  Arians made a point to run Pagano's system and stayed in touch with him all the time and followed his lead on things.  No question Arians played a major role and there were somethings Chuck just couldn't do last year but he gets some of the credit last year. 

I think people just don't want to give Pagano credit for last year because making the playoffs two years in a row makes it really hard to argue he's the problem and he's got to go.  Frankly even if you don't give him credit for last year Winning the division this year makes it a little hard to argue he's got to go but that's just me. 

Several things on coaching.  It's becoming a major excuse from us the fans because we don't want to blame players for bad play and acknowledge injuries, especially on offense are a MAJOR issue right now.  Now does that mean the coaching has been perfect?  No.  Far from it.  One thing I am really taking issue with are the just flat out stupid personal fouls the Colts have been taking.  That's lack of discipline and I will lay that at the coach's feet. 

From there I've several myths that have popped up. 

First the idea that we are handcuffing Andrew Luck.  I laid this out in another thread by breaking down the first 16 plays of the Bengals game of how that's not true.  On the first two drives we called ONE running play.  That's hardly taking the ball out of Luck's hands and depending on the run.  We've come out passing the past few weeks and have still struggled to move the ball.  Guys just aren't getting open. 

Next the idea we refuse to come out of a man-to-man defense.  This was true for a little while but we have been mixing in some zone the past couple of weeks and I am starting to see why we didn't use it before.  We are getting killed in it.  Our guys just aren't the personal for a zone defense. 

Next the idea this coaching staff doesn't know how to adjust.  Someone really needs to explain all these second half comebacks to me then if they don't know how to adjust.  Either the coaches are adjusting or the guys are making plays in the second half they weren't in the first half.  If it's the later then I got news for you the coaching isn't the problem.  Now I would buy the idea their game plans to start games aren't always the best.  I heard a theory on the radio today that I think might be true.  It could be the coaches aren't good at game planning but are good at adjusting as the game goes along.

The idea we don't blitz the other team.  We blitzed a lot on Sunday they just didn't get home.  Some of that might be play design but it could also be our guys just don't have the talent needed.  Also the Bengals o-line is really good Dalton hasn't been sacked since Week 10. 

Look again, there have been coaching mistakes along the way but the biggest problem with this team is that they are year two into a total roster make over.  While Grigson has done a great job of bringing in talent to make us a playoff team in two straight years the one thing this team could not afford was injuries.  We don't have the depth yet to withstand them.  Offense has been well documented but they have been an issue on defense as well. 

As crazy as it sounds to think losing your number two corner could be such a huge issue it has been.  Before he went out the Colts defense was giving up 18 points a game.  Since he's been out they are giving up like 36 a game.  That's almost a 20 point swing.  Here is why I think him being out has hurt us so much.

The Colts secondary was the strength of the defense.  They had a really good group of guys back there.  Butler who was a really good nickel corner and we are now seeing why the Colts wanted to leave him there and not make him the number two corner.  Toler who was a pretty solid number two he was going to give up some catches now and then but could handle most teams number two WRs and other teams number ones with some safety help and Davis who is a legit number one corner. 

Together they made the other team's QB hold the ball which let our pass rush get to the QB.  In the NFL there are two ways to get pass rush.  One is what the Colts did with Freeney and Mathis for year have some elite pass rushers or a really good blitzing defense that is just going to get there and makes the other teams QB dump the ball within three seconds or he's getting sacked.  The other is have your secondary hold up long enough to let your pass rush get there.  That's what the Colts were leaning on at the start of the season because outside of Mathis they don't have another legit pass rusher on this team.  Without Toler the secondary is struggling to hold up as long and the Colts are having a major issue getting a pass rush which lets the other team's QB sit back there and just pick us apart. 

This post is outstanding. It identifies issues, provides arguments, states relative information, and provides a very convincing argument.

It does help that I agree with it entirely. :thmsup:

I said last week that i felt we aren't running the ball enough and give up on it way too early.  Brown had 6 carries against the Titans until the final drive of the game.  It was a 2 point game.

I think the people are going off how we started a lot of games early in the year.  Thats the thing that makes no sense to me and makes me question our OC even more.  Back when we had a healthy Reggie Wayne, we seemed to want to run the ball a lot, almost to a fault.  I can remember a few games where Hilton was hardly getting any targets as a number 3.  Then we lose Reggie, and now all the sudden we want to throw it all over the yard with a bunch of practice squad guys and a guy in DHB who should be out of the league.  I don't understand it.

I said last week that i felt we aren't running the ball enough and give up on it way too early.  Brown had 6 carries against the Titans until the final drive of the game.  It was a 2 point game.

I think the people are going off how we started a lot of games early in the year.  Thats the thing that makes no sense to me and makes me question our OC even more.  Back when we had a healthy Reggie Wayne, we seemed to want to run the ball a lot, almost to a fault.  I can remember a few games where Hilton was hardly getting any targets as a number 3.  Then we lose Reggie, and now all the sudden we want to throw it all over the yard with a bunch of practice squad guys and a guy in DHB who should be out of the league.  I don't understand it.

because the run isn't working constantly either.  Look at DB YPC in the Titans game before the last drive and T-Rich's all year and you'll see why they have been shying away from it more and more.  The ironic thing is that's exactly what people have been calling for us to do this year.  I think what we are seeing is Reggie was the guy who made the whole offense go.  Without him to barrow a line from Conrad Bruner the Colts offense is broken and the Colts are out of spare parts.  It goes back to something else I said in my post.  The one thing this team could not afford was injuries.  They just don't have the depth to over come them.

Now with that said, we saw some signs of hope from the WRs in the Bengals game.  Maybe they are getting it but we'll probably get a better idea on Sunday if the Colts have found something or if they just caught the Bengals a little off guard. 

Agreed. Arians made a point to run Pagano's system and stayed in touch with him all the time and followed his lead on things. No question Arians played a major role and there were somethings Chuck just couldn't do last year but he gets some of the credit last year.

I think people just don't want to give Pagano credit for last year because making the playoffs two years in a row makes it really hard to argue he's the problem and he's got to go. Frankly even if you don't give him credit for last year Winning the division this year makes it a little hard to argue he's got to go but that's just me.

Im not on a vendetta against Pagano and firing him destroys everything that has been started. But there is enough evidence to see that the team is no where near the caliber they were last year when it comes to being motivated out the gate. Game plans the same who cares, the difference is one team is ready to play with energy and one is not until 14 down. Many teams in the NFL run similar schemes the difference is how prepared the teams are to execute which is a point of failure in a solely led Pagano team. To give him credit for that is absurd because you can easily see that the motivated team has followed Arians and hasnt shown up here.

Also lets right something here. I have not called for the firing of Pagano yet. I just see his shortcomings express what I see and see if anyone agrees with me. The trend lately has been that Pagano is not a NFL caliber HC. He has time to grow but he needs to make drastic changes to his idealogy and decisions which is not often seen in the coaching world.