Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Quick Analyzing after the game (The Knee Jerk)

Surge89

So watching the game today I came away with some positive and negatives...  First lets talk about Positives:

1. Offense - The O is coming together even after all the injuries.  The exciting thing is that we have playmakers even with some of our main playmakers being on IR. 

2. Coby Fleener - MAN I LOVE THAT THIS GUY IS MAKING ME EAT CROW.  He may not be the best blocker but he is FINALLY using his size to his advantage.  I guess mentally the game is slowing down because man he is one heck of a receiving threat!  I can only imagine when DA gets back and we have these 2 on the field at the same time!

3. Da Rick - Ok ok I gotta admit with Rodgers out there the O seemed to have more options and moving better.  He does have potential and I'm excited to see when he is the 3rd option how good he can really be.

4. Defense - For once the D came to play in the 1st half and they made stops.  They did get tired and were unable to make a stop late as usual but I'm glad that we weren't automatically letting them score in the 1st half per the usual.

5. Werner - He is starting to get it.  Wish he would be faster lol but I'm fine with him making the steady strides too! as long as he is improving right?

6. Offensive Playcalling - The playcalling was awesome today.  Varied and many receivers and backs getting opportunities to make plays.  I like that we are using the RB more which has been my worry and complaint over the past 5 weeks.  Finally we see this being addressed.

So now the Negative...

1. Coaching - I'm seeing a trend and not a good one.  Players dont look motivated and ready to play in the first and decisions on timeouts and punts are getting more and more horrendous.  Pagano is not performing as a HC at an acceptable level.  The coordinators as I see are doing fine with what they have, but unless our HC starts taking charge it will be all for naught.

2. Defensive Backs - I'm not sure what has happened to our DB core but it seems like Toler was our number 1 and Davis our Number 2 because we have been atrocious since he has gone out.  The DB's have not been performing and have much of the fault when it comes to our defensive pressure.

3. Interior O-Line - Man these guys..  They did better, but better isn't good enough... They just seem to have no push no power no nothing... 

4.  Andrew Luck - I'm not sure what has happened, (I hope he isn't losing it mentally) but Luck has not been the same.  I see maybe MAYBE 1 of 10 passes actually on target meaning hitting the receiver in stride or in the receivers hands.  Other than that (with or without time) he throws off target.  Sometimes only by inches and some times feet above or below but either way this is a problem.  A huge one.  In college he wasn't like this and for years I watched Peyton put it right where it needed to be and I just don't see it from Luck.  He is a good player don't get me wrong.  He runs for yards and can throw the ball.  But we need a game changer at QB a player who can make the special throw when the team needs it.  And Luck has not delivered in this regard.  Do we have to be behind and in a game winning drive for Luck to perform?  Just worried and hoping that Luck gets it together soon for a whole game.

Add to this I think some of our Offensive failures are straight on Luck.  He has not trusted his receivers to make plays and like we see today if he just gets the ball into Rodgers/Brazils hands good things happen.  Luck is going to have to start trusting some of these guys he can't do it all himself.

All of these together make me somewhat sad... We are on a time constraint as we will only have Luck cheap for 3 more years and then chances of Superbowl caliber teams get lower and lower...  add to it our GM gives up picks like they are going out of style and I fear for what could be in our future...  We weren't in a win now and never should have been. We were in a rebuilt but not complete state that had lots of talent...  A first next year could have been our key component to launching this team into elite status.  Instead we have TR... A back with no vision but tons of talent...

So watching the game today I came away with some positive and negatives...  First lets talk about Positives:

1. Offense - The O is coming together even after all the injuries.  The exciting thing is that we have playmakers even with some of our main playmakers being on IR. 

2. Coby Fleener - MAN I LOVE THAT THIS GUY IS MAKING ME EAT CROW.  He may not be the best blocker but he is FINALLY using his size to his advantage.  I guess mentally the game is slowing down because man he is one heck of a receiving threat!  I can only imagine when DA gets back and we have these 2 on the field at the same time!

3. Da Rick - Ok ok I gotta admit with Rodgers out there the O seemed to have more options and moving better.  He does have potential and I'm excited to see when he is the 3rd option how good he can really be.

4. Defense - For once the D came to play in the 1st half and they made stops.  They did get tired and were unable to make a stop late as usual but I'm glad that we weren't automatically letting them score in the 1st half per the usual.

5. Werner - He is starting to get it.  Wish he would be faster lol but I'm fine with him making the steady strides too! as long as he is improving right?

6. Offensive Playcalling - The playcalling was awesome today.  Varied and many receivers and backs getting opportunities to make plays.  I like that we are using the RB more which has been my worry and complaint over the past 5 weeks.  Finally we see this being addressed.

So now the Negative...

1. Coaching - I'm seeing a trend and not a good one.  Players dont look motivated and ready to play in the first and decisions on timeouts and punts are getting more and more horrendous.  Pagano is not performing as a HC at an acceptable level.  The coordinators as I see are doing fine with what they have, but unless our HC starts taking charge it will be all for naught.

2. Defensive Backs - I'm not sure what has happened to our DB core but it seems like Toler was our number 1 and Davis our Number 2 because we have been atrocious since he has gone out.  The DB's have not been performing and have much of the fault when it comes to our defensive pressure.

3. Interior O-Line - Man these guys..  They did better, but better isn't good enough... They just seem to have no push no power no nothing... 

4.  Andrew Luck - I'm not sure what has happened, (I hope he isn't losing it mentally) but Luck has not been the same.  I see maybe MAYBE 1 of 10 passes actually on target meaning hitting the receiver in stride or in the receivers hands.  Other than that (with or without time) he throws off target.  Sometimes only by inches and some times feet above or below but either way this is a problem.  A huge one.  In college he wasn't like this and for years I watched Peyton put it right where it needed to be and I just don't see it from Luck.  He is a good player don't get me wrong.  He runs for yards and can throw the ball.  But we need a game changer at QB a player who can make the special throw when the team needs it.  And Luck has not delivered in this regard.  Do we have to be behind and in a game winning drive for Luck to perform?  Just worried and hoping that Luck gets it together soon for a whole game.

Add to this I think some of our Offensive failures are straight on Luck.  He has not trusted his receivers to make plays and like we see today if he just gets the ball into Rodgers/Brazils hands good things happen.  Luck is going to have to start trusting some of these guys he can't do it all himself.

All of these together make me somewhat sad... We are on a time constraint as we will only have Luck cheap for 3 more years and then chances of Superbowl caliber teams get lower and lower...  add to it our GM gives up picks like they are going out of style and I fear for what could be in our future...  We weren't in a win now and never should have been. We were in a rebuilt but not complete state that had lots of talent...  A first next year could have been our key component to launching this team into elite status.  Instead we have TR... A back with no vision but tons of talent...

I agree with you on Luck!! I think the breakdowns on the o-line has been getting to him.  

Yeh I'm pretty sure luck threw for like 365 yds and 4 TDs

Luck had a good statistical day, much like RGIII does when his team is getting blown out. We all talk about RGIII's "garbage time" stats, but give credit to Luck for garbage time stats?

Here's a recap of the TD's he threw today:

1. Quick slant to Rogers who took it to the house after breaking a few tackles. 60 yard TD, 10 yard throw.

2. 5-yard square in to Brazill, who broke 100 tackles and scored a TD. 30-yard TD, 5-yard throw.

3. Brazill- deep right corner, perfect throw.

4. Garbage time TD, when you could argue Luck shouldn't have been playing due to injury risks.

I am aware that all QBs benefit from their receivers breaking for big plays. Luck made some good throws but when the game was on the line and still close, he was at 50% completion. That's where he's been last year and a majority of this year.

He's my favorite player, but he's got so much work to do. I am not "hating", just making the argument that he hasn't been playing well and it's only due to horrible tackling that he has had a good statistical day, although I will give a lot of credit to our receivers for breaking those tackles and making plays.

Luck had some bad throws, but he did well considering this tough defense. I wouldn't said he did horrible.

I never said he did horrible...  I'm just saying I'm noticing trends that are very un-comforting.  He was known for his accuracy coming out and he has not delivered...  Accuracy is one of the most important things for QB to have.  If you have the strongest arm in the world it doesn't matter if you can't hit a receiver in stride so the receiver can make a play.

So watching the game today I came away with some positive and negatives... First lets talk about Positives:

1. Offense - The O is coming together even after all the injuries. The exciting thing is that we have playmakers even with some of our main playmakers being on IR.

2. Coby Fleener - MAN I LOVE THAT THIS GUY IS MAKING ME EAT CROW. He may not be the best blocker but he is FINALLY using his size to his advantage. I guess mentally the game is slowing down because man he is one heck of a receiving threat! I can only imagine when DA gets back and we have these 2 on the field at the same time!

3. Da Rick - Ok ok I gotta admit with Rodgers out there the O seemed to have more options and moving better. He does have potential and I'm excited to see when he is the 3rd option how good he can really be.

4. Defense - For once the D came to play in the 1st half and they made stops. They did get tired and were unable to make a stop late as usual but I'm glad that we weren't automatically letting them score in the 1st half per the usual.

5. Werner - He is starting to get it. Wish he would be faster lol but I'm fine with him making the steady strides too! as long as he is improving right?

6. Offensive Playcalling - The playcalling was awesome today. Varied and many receivers and backs getting opportunities to make plays. I like that we are using the RB more which has been my worry and complaint over the past 5 weeks. Finally we see this being addressed.

So now the Negative...

1. Coaching - I'm seeing a trend and not a good one. Players dont look motivated and ready to play in the first and decisions on timeouts and punts are getting more and more horrendous. Pagano is not performing as a HC at an acceptable level. The coordinators as I see are doing fine with what they have, but unless our HC starts taking charge it will be all for naught.

2. Defensive Backs - I'm not sure what has happened to our DB core but it seems like Toler was our number 1 and Davis our Number 2 because we have been atrocious since he has gone out. The DB's have not been performing and have much of the fault when it comes to our defensive pressure.

3. Interior O-Line - Man these guys.. They did better, but better isn't good enough... They just seem to have no push no power no nothing...

4. Andrew Luck - I'm not sure what has happened, (I hope he isn't losing it mentally) but Luck has not been the same. I see maybe MAYBE 1 of 10 passes actually on target meaning hitting the receiver in stride or in the receivers hands. Other than that (with or without time) he throws off target. Sometimes only by inches and some times feet above or below but either way this is a problem. A huge one. In college he wasn't like this and for years I watched Peyton put it right where it needed to be and I just don't see it from Luck. He is a good player don't get me wrong. He runs for yards and can throw the ball. But we need a game changer at QB a player who can make the special throw when the team needs it. And Luck has not delivered in this regard. Do we have to be behind and in a game winning drive for Luck to perform? Just worried and hoping that Luck gets it together soon for a whole game.

Add to this I think some of our Offensive failures are straight on Luck. He has not trusted his receivers to make plays and like we see today if he just gets the ball into Rodgers/Brazils hands good things happen. Luck is going to have to start trusting some of these guys he can't do it all himself.

All of these together make me somewhat sad... We are on a time constraint as we will only have Luck cheap for 3 more years and then chances of Superbowl caliber teams get lower and lower... add to it our GM gives up picks like they are going out of style and I fear for what could be in our future... We weren't in a win now and never should have been. We were in a rebuilt but not complete state that had lots of talent... A first next year could have been our key component to launching this team into elite status. Instead we have TR... A back with no vision but tons of talent...

You're way off about the coordinators. Pep did fine (for once) but Manusky has to go. He's too repetitive and I'm sure teams have his tendencies charted at this point. He's determined to stay in base personnel with man coverage. The QB pretty much knows before the snap that he'll have a running lane if the receiver isn't open because we're always in man coverage. His blitz's are always picked up, no matter the opponent and he puts our players at a disadvantage for the things he asks of them. Why are Freeman and Angerer asked to cover receivers on obvious passing downs? It's like he literally doesn't have a rhyme or reason to any of his play calls. Get him out of here

Luck had a good statistical day, much like RGIII does when his team is getting blown out. We all talk about RGIII's "garbage time" stats, but give credit to Luck for garbage time stats?

1. Quick slant to Rogers who took it to the house after breaking a few tackles. 60 yard TD, 10 yard throw.

2. 5-yard square in to Brazill, who broke 100 tackles and scored a TD. 30-yard TD, 5-yard throw.

4. Garbage time TD, when you could argue Luck shouldn't have been playing due to injury risks.

I am aware that all QBs benefit from their receivers breaking for big plays. Luck made some good throws but when the game was on the line and still close, he was at 50% completion. That's where he's been last year and a majority of this year.

He's my favorite player, but he's got so much work to do. I am not "hating", just making the argument that he hasn't been playing well and it's only due to horrible tackling that he has had a good statistical day, although I will give a lot of credit to our receivers for breaking those tackles and making plays.

Luck had 1 garbage time TD. We were only down by 14 with 8 minutes left.

Rogers & Brazill give us real hope. With the improved pass blocking maybe Andrew gets back on the lofty track.

I really lost it on the first drive: 3rd and 3, and we throw the ball 20 yards deep. (after a time out for gads sake!!)

Really, really lost it on the second drive: 3 and 9ish and we throw a screen for a gain of two. Not just any screen, but the same one that we tried a few plays earlier when DB fell.

This type of inane play calling has been going on all year. Pep needs to go.

You're way off about the coordinators. Pep did fine (for once) but Manusky has to go. He's too repetitive and I'm sure teams have his tendencies charted at this point. He's determined to stay in base personnel with man coverage. The QB pretty much knows before the snap that he'll have a running lane if the receiver isn't open because we're always in man coverage. His blitz's are always picked up, no matter the opponent and he puts our players at a disadvantage for the things he asks of them. Why are Freeman and Angerer asked to cover receivers on obvious passing downs? It's like he literally doesn't have a rhyme or reason to any of his play calls. Get him out of here

This is true, but isn't Pagano supposed to be heavily influenced with our Defense?  Some of the fault lays with him as well.  That is why even though I don't like Manusky I'm willing to give him a pass as I don't know who exacly calls defensive plays and makes the decisions on assignments.  As far as I have seen how long it takes for anything to change with this coaching staff it could be a higher problem....

yes, it does. When the game was close, he didn't deliver. You're making my point for me. At no time was he playing well when we were in place to win that game.

No, my point was against your first paragraph about him hrowing garbag5 time TDs.

This is true, but isn't Pagano supposed to be heavily influenced with our Defense? Some of the fault lays with him as well. That is why even though I don't like Manusky I'm willing to give him a pass as I don't know who exacly calls defensive plays and makes the decisions on assignments. As far as I have seen how long it takes for anything to change with this coaching staff it could be a higher problem....

I don't disagree. Manusky is the one that calls the plays though. That, in itself, is a problem to me. Pagano has to see the weaknesses in the scheme, yet he hasn't stepped in and took over, being the "defensive guru" that he supposedly is? What exactly does he do then? Needless to say, between his over-conservatism on offense, his questionable game management, and the constant slow starts every game, I'm starting to think Grigson whiffed on the HC hire

I don't disagree. Manusky is the one that calls the plays though. That, in itself, is a problem to me. Pagano has to see the weaknesses in the scheme, yet he hasn't stepped in and took over, being the "defensive guru" that he supposedly is? What exactly does he do then? Needless to say, between his over-conservatism on offense, his questionable game management, and the constant slow starts every game, I'm starting to think Grigson whiffed on the HC hire

Good points, I'm very worried with out GM and HC.  Both have made young mistakes but don't seem to be able to correct them unless they do a monumental change.  In doing so might delay our Super Bowl hopes even more!.... :-(

I really lost it on the first drive: 3rd and 3, and we throw the ball 20 yards deep. (after a time out for gads sake!!)Really, really lost it on the second drive: 3 and 9ish and we throw a screen for a gain of two. Not just any screen, but the same one that we tried a few plays earlier when DB fell.This type of inane play calling has been going on all year. Pep needs to go.

He at the very least needs to demonstrate the ability to adjust his play calls. I'm not sold that pep is creative enough to make a second year adjustment bsed on what we've seen from him this year but it's his first so this is where we have to hope the upper management guys make the right call. Manusky however has a bad history of being a bad DC. where is Jim Mora Jr;)

Good points, I'm very worried with out GM and HC. Both have made young mistakes but don't seem to be able to correct them unless they do a monumental change. In doing so might delay our Super Bowl hopes even more!.... :-(

At this point, you have to stick with Pagano for right now. The coordinators are very much in danger of being replaced, in my opinion, however. The one thing Pagano and Grigson have going in their favor is Andrew Luck. Our fanbase knows better than any that a great QB can cover up the ineptitude of an entire regime, and can even get to the big game in spite of them. We, as a fanbase, are very spoiled. And a lot of that stems from the owner. He's set the precedent of multiple Super Bowls for this regime (per his own words) so it is what it is

I felt like we play too much zone and that is what's killing us. We don't have the pass rush for it. It seems like we have gotten away from the man scheme that we used on Denver, that's just me though.

Lol, we don't play ENOUGH zone. Everything is man coverage with Manusky. That's why, no matter who the QB is, they end up racking up tons of yards on the ground, because no one is spying the QB

Andy, frickin, Dalton ran one in today, for crying out loud

2. Coby Fleener - MAN I LOVE THAT THIS GUY IS MAKING ME EAT CROW.  He may not be the best blocker but he is FINALLY using his size to his advantage.  I guess mentally the game is slowing down because man he is one heck of a receiving threat!  I can only imagine when DA gets back and we have these 2 on the field at the same time!My biggest concern is our coaching staff they look lost very scary

So now the Negative...

Yeh I'm pretty sure luck threw for like 365 yds and 4 TDs

Yeah after being down all game long. He has been off big time. Not sure if it's the line it what but he's been off. Ball needs to come out faster. He needs to recognize the defense and make them pay better. He needs to be more accurate and in sync with the wr's

shut out in the first half again is fine?

shut out in the first half again is fine?

The result was the same, yes, but he tried to spread it out early with a quicker tempo. He still did a lot of the ground and pound stuff in the 1st qrt, but at least it wasn't the entire 1st half like normal. He tried some different personnel groupings and formations that had a little success. I'm not a fan of him by any means, but at least he's trying to fix it. Manusky hasn't altered the defensive scheme one bit since he's been here. He's a joke of a DC

The result was the same, yes, but he tried to spread it out early with a quicker tempo. He still did a lot of the ground and pound stuff in the 1st qrt, but at least it wasn't the entire 1st half like normal. He tried some different personnel groupings and formations that had a little success. I'm not a fan of him by any means, but at least he's trying to fix it. Manusky hasn't altered the defensive scheme one bit since he's been here. He's a joke of a DC

the offense was shut out in the first half again. Yet pep was good?