Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Quick Analyzing after the game (The Knee Jerk)

Surge89

I really lost it on the first drive: 3rd and 3, and we throw the ball 20 yards deep. (after a time out for gads sake!!)

Really, really lost it on the second drive: 3 and 9ish and we throw a screen for a gain of two. Not just any screen, but the same one that we tried a few plays earlier when DB fell.

This type of inane play calling has been going on all year. Pep needs to go.

This is what I was going to comment on. Is it me or did we try a similiar thing last week in a 3rd and short situation? Granted that deep ball was almost caught and it would have been awesome but just pound it in or do a quick slant .

Play calling: C (probably should be a 'F' but no coach left behind).

Luck is doing great when they let him go. The only thing Luck needs is an attitude. Get in some of these players and coaches face. The problem is the play calling at the start of games. Pep and whoever are determined to have a run game. We come out trying to establish a run game every single week and its so predictable and goes no where. Then we fall behind and work the hurry up and open up the passing game.

Why cant we start a little aggressive? Start with establishing the passing game to open up the run game. Mix it up a little bit.

I disagree with number 4. The defense stunk.

Yes it did. And the defense backs are partially terrible because we are getting no pressure on the QB. 

I also have to think that our defense gets extremely tired with how pathetic our offense has been at extending drives.

yes, it does. When the game was close, he didn't deliver. You're making my point for me. At no time was he playing well when we were in place to win that game.

Are we seriously saying ANYTHING bad about Andrew after all he has done to PUT THE WHOLE TEAM ON HIS BACK for the first 2 years of his career!?!??! Give me a break. He is the ONLY reason we have made the playoffs 2 years in a row. Without him, we are NOTHING.

Are we seriously saying ANYTHING bad about Andrew after all he has done to PUT THE WHOLE TEAM ON HIS BACK for the first 2 years of his career!?!??! Give me a break. He is the ONLY reason we have made the playoffs 2 years in a row. Without him, we are NOTHING.

I get that, but it doesn't mean he's perfect or above criticism.

I get that but it doesn't mean he's perfect or above criticism.

I agree. But, the way some people are talking about him, it sounds like the same way they are talking about Pep and Chuck. Andrew is not the problem. Give him time, give him a better o-line, better play calling (both things which we all agree are below average) and he will be fine. Losing Reggie and having to put up with DHB have hurt him, you see now what we can do with more comfort with his playmakers and better playmakers overall. 

Just look at Tom Brady earlier this season. His playmakers were gone, he played horrible. Now their back, and hes back to normal. Same thing here in Indy.

I agree. But, the way some people are talking about him, it sounds like the same way they are talking about Pep and Chuck. Andrew is not the problem. Give him time, give him a better o-line, better play calling (both things which we all agree are below average) and he will be fine. Losing Reggie and having to put up with DHB have hurt him, you see now what we can do with more comfort with his playmakers and better playmakers overall.

Just look at Tom Brady earlier this season. His playmakers were gone, he played horrible. Now their back, and hes back to normal. Same thing here in Indy.

Your missing the point completely. Brady struggled yes but he still threw accurately to the spot his receivers were supposed to be. Our problem is much worse. Luck has everything falling around him yes but his skills are regressing as well.

Can we please stop like he is doing this all alone? This isnt Peyton Manning, this is Luck and if he didnt have Reggie last year we would be in the same spot. He is not putting this team on his back he is making mistakes. He is underthrowing, overthrowing, and all in all being very inaccurate. This is what worries us. Are we saying he is trash? NO are we saying cut him? NO. Now be reasonable and look at the team without the rose colored glasses especially Luck.

Yes it did. And the defense backs are partially terrible because we are getting no pressure on the QB.

I also have to think that our defense gets extremely tired with how pathetic our offense has been at extending drives.

In now way am I giving the D a pass because they did stink. But they got multiple stops early and our O did nothing. Do you want our D to make every team score less than 10 points? Yea of course but that's not realistic and won't happen.

Also I think our DB's and blitz calls are more to blame for pressure on the QB. Have you noticed every play our DB's are not facing the QB? I mean I like man coverage but sometimes you gotta keep the receiver in front of you.

Said the same thing to my wife. I don't think Luck knows how to do a Manning-face.

A Manning face? Cmon Peyton isn't with this team but can we stop acting like he was trash? Peyton literally carried a faulty organization, bad coaching and some often terrible rosters when he was here give the man respect.

If Luck is even 3/4 the QB Peyton was I will be happy but right now that so called Peyton face would be throwing accurate balls to his receivers and actually going through reads, instead we have Luck who seems to be regressing due to a crap oline and an OC that started him on bad habits last year.

The offensive play calling was so bad in the first half.  Tight coverage everywhere and they were covering the big plays.  They didn't really need 8 men in the box to stop the run, because our OLine helps with blocking our own RB.  I wouldn't say Luck was inaccurate in the first half, but the play call was bad.  You see simple routes and no running game.  I suggest using RB like the saints.  Some running more catching cause our OLine can't open running lanes

Your missing the point completely. Brady struggled yes but he still threw accurately to the spot his receivers were supposed to be. Our problem is much worse. Luck has everything falling around him yes but his skills are regressing as well.

Can we please stop like he is doing this all alone? This isnt Peyton Manning, this is Luck and if he didnt have Reggie last year we would be in the same spot. He is not putting this team on his back he is making mistakes. He is underthrowing, overthrowing, and all in all being very inaccurate. This is what worries us. Are we saying he is trash? NO are we saying cut him? NO. Now be reasonable and look at the team without the rose colored glasses especially Luck.

and how do you know the wr's are running the routes correctly. Aren't you just assuming all those passes are lucks fault

4. Andrew Luck - I'm not sure what has happened, (I hope he isn't losing it mentally) but Luck has not been the same. I see maybe MAYBE 1 of 10 passes actually on target meaning hitting the receiver in stride or in the receivers hands. Other than that (with or without time) he throws off target. Sometimes only by inches and some times feet above or below but either way this is a problem. A huge one. In college he wasn't like this and for years I watched Peyton put it right where it needed to be and I just don't see it from Luck. He is a good player don't get me wrong. He runs for yards and can throw the ball. But we need a game changer at QB a player who can make the special throw when the team needs it. And Luck has not delivered in this regard. Do we have to be behind and in a game winning drive for Luck to perform? Just worried and hoping that Luck gets it together soon for a whole game.

i noticed this too when watching rewind and was breaking down plays on the whalen debate. He continuously misseshis targets, over and under throwing. His conlmpletion percentage was supposed to go up cause of pep. Its gone up but only 4%. I dont see this as significant. Im starting to think he isnt as good as advertised. Though better than RG3. Maybe its a sophomore slump.

That's what I said?

The worst offense you can run with a weak o-line is under center, inside running, deep 5-7 step drops with or without play Action. That's EXACTLY what Pep has been stubbornly trying to force feed in the first halves of these games.  Hence the Colts fall behind early.

The cure is..

Shotgun for the majority of snaps (not just when you're down 21+), Quick passing with shots as they are allowed, delays and screens.

It's seems painfully obvious...

The worst offense you can run with a weak o-line is under center, inside running, deep 5-7 step drops with or without play Action. That's EXACTLY what Pep has been stubbornly trying to force feed in the first halves of these games. Hence the Colts fall behind early.

The cure is..

Shotgun for the majority of snaps (not just when you're down 21+), Quick passing with shots as they are allowed, delays and screens.

It's seems painfully obvious...

You guys need to stop trying to paint me as a Pep apologist. I hate him as a play caller as much as everyone else. All I was saying is, this loss falls more on the shoulders of Manusky and the defense than it does the offense. They all share in the blame though

and how do you know the wr's are running the routes correctly. Aren't you just assuming all those passes are lucks fault

Really? Lol no if a receiver runs a wrong route in a timing offense like we have you would see Luck throw YARDS away from the target. Instead of at the receivers hips or feet above his head or at his feet. It would be different if those throws had reason to be where they (like say defender is in reach and ball needs to be thrown high and away or low and under) but most of his misses have been when the defender is behind the receiver completely or ahead.

Lets take the TY "almost TD" this past Sunday. If the ball is thrown ahead of TY into his hands instead of behind and at his thigh it doesnt matter that Fleener runs his route to close or that there is another defender becajse TY was wide freaking open out past the defender.

Actually, thats completely wrong. Yes some of his receivers dropped passes, but go back and watch any analyst from earlier in the season, they said that Brady was playing poorly as well.

Actually, thats completely wrong. Yes some of his receivers dropped passes, but go back and watch any analyst from earlier in the season, they said that Brady was playing poorly as well.

I'll admit I'm not an avid watcher of the Patriots.  But from what I have seen, if Brady did regress any it was due to the fact he was questioning his receivers because of the WR inexperience.

Sounds familiar. I'd question dhb too.

No question Luck is hurt from having inexperienced receivers.  I fear though that this could be a trend past a season, because of the situation Luck is in... Luck doesn't have Brady's line (which is not as good as before) and Luck doesn't have Mcdaniels.  Also Luck had exposure to Arians who I honestly believe instilled some bad habits in our young QB.  Again I'm not saying Luck is trash or horrible but this years accuracy has been lower than acceptable and that is very scary.  We all want our QB to succeed or at least I do.