Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Colts are only missing a few peices

Legend of Luck

Hey everyone. I know it's early for this, and Im not overlooking this year at all. But, I was just sitting here and the idea of next's years team came into my mind, and boy, are we gonna be in good shape. The biggest problems we face, however are on our lines. Defensively, we cant create a pass rush to save our lives, and I dont even need to talk about the offensive line, you already know.

This year in free agency and the draft, there's really only 4 major holes to fill.  RG, C, DE, WR.

So this is what our team could look like next year.

QB:Luck

WR1: Reggie

WR2: TY

WR3: Da'Rick (HOPEFULLY)

WR4: Brazill

WR?: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RB1: Trent

RB2: Ballard

RB3: Brown

RB4: Boom

TE1: Dwayne

TE2: Coby 

LT: Castanzo

LG: Thomas

C: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RG: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RT: Gosder

DE: Redding

DT: Franklin 

DE: Free Agent/Draft Pick

LB: Mathis
LB:Freeman

LB: Angerer

LB: Werner

CB: Vontae

CB: Toler

CB: Butler

CB: Vaughn

S: Bethea

S: Landry

Really, if Da'Rick can step up, we only have 4 major holes to fill. All 4 are on our lines, but thats nice to know going into free agency that we only have those spots to worry about. Yes, we need depth at those positions as well, but  obviously getting quality starters is priority number one. When we get everyone back healthy and if we can get Luck a solid pocket, the running backs better blockers, and a heavy pass rush from our D-line, we could EASILY be the best team in the AFC!

GO COLTS!!!

I'm starting to see CB as a Pretty big hole with Toler bringing his injury history here with him

Also need a ILB to pair with Freeman Angerer is not gonna cut it

Aren't we grooming Hughes for DE and we still have RJF who is good IMO

Hughes, its possible. But we need a playmaker now. I like RJF as well, but I just dont feel hes given us the needed pass rush. I feel like we need to spend big money on a DE, and both RG and C this year.

Hughes, its possible. But we need a playmaker now. I like RJF as well, but I just dont feel hes given us the needed pass rush. I feel like we need to spend big money on a DE, and both RG and C this year.

I hope a good CB falls in the draft so we can have him play with Davis and we can hopefully get a good ILB in the 3rd

For sure we don't have time to wait for a rookie linemen to develop we need proven players to come in and keep luck upright I want Mack at C and Asamoah at G

I totally agree. Theres no time to wait for lineman to develop. Get a couple guys this year that can play for the next 4-5 years, then throughout those years, draft a few guys behind them to learn and develop.

I honestly am having a hard time determining what I want to get in the draft, especially with our early picks.

1. WR- Yea we need it, but what if Da'Rick steps up, then it's not so much of a need.

2. CB- A need for sure, but depends on what we do with Vontae in free agency. I like Toler, Butler, and Vaughn (as nickel corner). I dont think it is a TOP priority, unless we lose Vontae.

3. ILB- Im not sure why Angerer has played so poorly this year, but I used to really like him. We have a STUD in Freeman, so I am not overly concerned here.

4. OL/DL- Again another FOR SURE need, but Id rather fill these holes in free agency.

This might be one of those years where we really should just take the best available player..

you do know the job of a 34 DE isnt to get to the QB. thats the LBers job. the 3 down lineman only occupy space and stop the run. if they can get to the QB great, but thats not their assignment

So is your solution then to replace Angerer/Walden/Werner? What did you have in mind to increase pass rush?

Hes been solid, but we need a better pass rusher. He hasnt really done well with that this year.

That's not really his job though, is it?

He has been good against the run and that's what he's there for. Obviously we need some interior pressure and RJF/Redding haven't been great at that this season but I don't think it's one of the most important positions that need filling.

I'd try to get a C, G and ILB first. Then DE, WR, CB.

That's not really his job though, is it?

He has been good against the run and that's what he's there for. Obviously we need some interior pressure and RJF/Redding haven't been great at that this season but I don't think it's one of the most important positions that need filling.

I'd try to get a C, G and ILB first. Then DE, WR, CB.

Yea, I think your right. My thought was if we are just rushing Mathis and the line, I feel like someone OTHER than Mathis should be able to get pressure and its been virtually non existent this year.

I'll ask you the same question then. What do you think is the best route to go to increase our pressure on the qb?

Yea, I think your right. My thought was if we are just rushing Mathis and the line, I feel like someone OTHER than Mathis should be able to get pressure and its been virtually non existent this year.

I'll ask you the same question then. What do you think is the best route to go to increase our pressure on the qb?

I've heard some cap experts say we could possibly sign 3 big players if so we could go after Mack Asamoah and Orakpo

I'm not sure that we can fix that problem in the immediate future to be quite honest. 

I think we just groom Werner to replace Mathis and play the two of those when we are blitzing, Mathis and Walden when we 'aren't', like we have been.

Obviously if we have the opportunity to upgrade on the interior line then we should give it serious thought, but I'd much rather that money was spent on the OL and an ILB first.

The ability of the linebackers is important, even when they aren't rushing the passer. Our corners are good and if we improve the coverage among the linebacking group then we are likely to see many more coverage sacks. Kind of a pseudo-increase in pressure. 

Hey everyone. I know it's early for this, and Im not overlooking this year at all. But, I was just sitting here and the idea of next's years team came into my mind, and boy, are we gonna be in good shape. The biggest problems we face, however are on our lines. Defensively, we cant create a pass rush to save our lives, and I dont even need to talk about the offensive line, you already know.

This year in free agency and the draft, there's really only 4 major holes to fill.  RG, C, DE, WR.

So this is what our team could look like next year.

QB:Luck

WR1: Reggie

WR2: TY

WR3: Da'Rick (HOPEFULLY)

WR4: Brazill

WR?: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RB1: Trent

RB2: Ballard

RB3: Brown

RB4: Boom

TE1: Dwayne

TE2: Coby 

LT: Castanzo

LG: Thomas

C: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RG: Free Agent/Draft Pick

RT: Gosder

DE: Redding

DT: Franklin 

DE: Free Agent/Draft Pick

LB: Mathis

LB:Freeman

LB: Angerer

LB: Werner

CB: Vontae

CB: Toler

CB: Butler

CB: Vaughn

S: Bethea

S: Landry

Really, if Da'Rick can step up, we only have 4 major holes to fill. All 4 are on our lines, but thats nice to know going into free agency that we only have those spots to worry about. Yes, we need depth at those positions as well, but  obviously getting quality starters is priority number one. When we get everyone back healthy and if we can get Luck a solid pocket, the running backs better blockers, and a heavy pass rush from our D-line, we could EASILY be the best team in the AFC!

GO COLTS!!!

Personally, I agree with everyone on your list with the exception of Angerer. He is horrible in coverage and gets burned a lot. I want to see a more aggressive player fill his spot in 2014.

Yeah, we'd hate to have a guy who can pick off two passes in a game like he did last week.

You know, right now Vaughn leads the team in interceptions with three?

And you want him off the team?

Really?

2 picks after being caught on how many times? Yeah, he OWED the team those picks. I know we can do better than Vaughn as our #4 CB. Whether Sheldon Price steps up or whatever else we can do, Vaughn shouldn't be our BEST choice as a #4 or #2 if injury happens. Cause Vaughn as a starting CB is horrible

Yeah, we'd hate to have a guy who can pick off two passes in a game like he did last week.

You know, right now Vaughn leads the team in interceptions with three?

And you want him off the team?

Really?

He's pretty bad in coverage to be fair. Anyone who has watched him play knows this.

I don't want him off the team, because I hink he'd be a solid backup at safety or return guy.

But those INTs don't tell you his ability as a player.

He's pretty bad in coverage to be fair. Anyone who has watched him play knows this.

I don't want him off the team, because I hink he'd be a solid backup at safety or return guy.

Hey, I'm not saying he's great....

But everyone wanted Tim Jennings off the team and he went elsewhere and became good.

People wanted Donald Brown off the team and look what we've got...

Heck, people see that McGlynn can play back-up center when need be.   Some think he's better than Satele....

Vaughn's not a bad 4th corner.....     plenty of other teams have worse........

I wouldn't mind him if his coverage improved. Take for example Seattle. Brandon Browner & that other CB were out Monday night vs the Saints yet their secondary still strapped the Saints high octane passing attack. Now, I'm not saying we'll ever have the secondary Seattle does. But when the word's "next man up" come to mind, we as Colts fans should at least be able to crack a tiny smile of confidence.

Like if Andrew Luck went down this season for 1 game *knocks on every piece of wood in the worls* at least we could feel a little good about Matt Hasselbeck coming in to close out the game.

Personally, I agree with everyone on your list with the exception of Angerer. He is horrible in coverage and gets burned a lot. I want to see a more aggressive player fill his spot in 2014.

Hopefully McNary pans out. Is Adongo listed as OLB or DE btw? Im actually not sure which he is.

you do know the job of a 34 DE isnt to get to the QB. thats the LBers job. the 3 down lineman only occupy space and stop the run. if they can get to the QB great, but thats not their assignment

So Not True. If my 3-4 DE isn`t contributing to the pressure on the QB and getting a few sacks, I don`t want him.

Guards pull and leave gaps to beat your man through.That is what they do to us!

Same with the nose. He isn`t doubled every play. If he can`t get some push in the QB`s face, well, you got a DUD like Mookie.

Our DE`s Have to Focus on run stopping if Mathis is near them, if you know what I mean!

Not that Walden has been making that many plays on his side for the season either. Yes, a few lately

I think Thorton is our RG next year. He is playing out of position because of injury to Thomas. Rookie out of position, he is doing ok in my eyes. Yes he needs to muscle up and needs coaching. But the kid has a mean streak and that's what this line needs more of imo.

I don't see Grigson signing 3 FA starters on the Oline. Maybe 2 but expect him to sign 1 quality starter. Center  would seem to be the biggest need if Thomas comes back healthy.