Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the #1 pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Who do you think they'll draft? 

I really really realllyyyy don't want them to draft Clowney. He hasn't been great this season but he's crazy talented. Watt and Clowney on the same line would be brutal. I want Luck to live. 

I want them to experiment with Bridgewater. QB's are never sure things. 

I think they'll go with Clowney or Barr however. 

What do you think?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bot with salary cap issue they won,t , what is with texas nfl teams and their salary cap issues

with the new rookie cap it makes little difference what position they take number one over all they are slotted based on where they are picked. So they would pay the same for QB as they would for any other position. If they take a QB they get him cheap for about five years and then they have to worry about the cap. You can do a lot in five years.

i see houston doing what we did after 2011 season get a new hc, young qb gut most of team keep the pillar guys around

The pillar guys dont want to stick around in Houston. Andre ia obviously fed up, and J.J. has his contract year next year I believe. They dont really have any pillar guys outside of those 2 players. Houston needs to just start again completely.

Their best move, imo, is getting Barr. There isn't an NFL ready QB ready to be thrown to the wolves..sorry Teddy but you need a year or two. Adding the best LB in the draft  to team with Cushing, and still having that D-Line, lead by Watt, would make the front 7 one of the best in football..Injuries have killed thier offense, and they need O=Line help almost as bad as the Colts do. They have two very good RB's in Foster and Tate, a great WR in Andre, and a decent TE. Sure they need a QB, but I don't care who comes out this year, there is no Luck or Wilson, (I don't care about RG3 and Kaepernick, they are not ready yet as consistent NFL QB's. I would also try to get 1 or two decent DB's, and make that defense the best in the NFL, Keenan was thrown to the wolves, and for the most part did, somewhat ok, considering his youth and inexperience, and missing the injury plagued ground game.

I would also try in FA to grab an O-Lineman or two, and spend the money there..as long as they are decent players, and look for a #2 WR to compliment and take some of the heat off of Johnson. Maybe in one or two years, they could draft a potential superstar QB in Winston and or Mariota. Mariota is probably going to stay through his senior year, and if he continues to develop, will definitely become a good to great NFL QB. Winston will likely play out this year and one more, unless he has the issues continuing from his alleged assault, I see both of them coming out in 2015.

Add to your already decent D by filling the holes via the draft, pick up some decent O-Line and WR help, and go for your QB in one-2 years, so he doesn't get killed, and Houston would be back in the race against the Colts for the AFC South once again..

Their best move, imo, is getting Barr. There isn't an NFL ready QB ready to be thrown to the wolves..sorry Teddy but you need a year or two. Adding the best LB in the draft  to team with Cushing, and still having that D-Line, lead by Watt, would make the front 7 one of the best in football..Injuries have killed thier offense, and they need O=Line help almost as bad as the Colts do. They have two very good RB's in Foster and Tate, a great WR in Andre, and a decent TE. Sure they need a QB, but I don't care who comes out this year, there is no Luck or Wilson, (I don't care about RG3 and Kaepernick, they are not ready yet as consistent NFL QB's. I would also try to get 1 or two decent DB's, and make that defense the best in the NFL, Keenan was thrown to the wolves, and for the most part did, somewhat ok, considering his youth and inexperience, and missing the injury plagued ground game.

I would also try in FA to grab an O-Lineman or two, and spend the money there..as long as they are decent players, and look for a #2 WR to compliment and take some of the heat off of Johnson. Maybe in one or two years, they could draft a potential superstar QB in Winston and or Mariota. Mariota is probably going to stay through his senior year, and if he continues to develop, will definitely become a good to great NFL QB. Winston will likely play out this year and one more, unless he has the issues continuing from his alleged assault, I see both of them coming out in 2015.

Add to your already decent D by filling the holes via the draft, pick up some decent O-Line and WR help, and go for your QB in one-2 years, so he doesn't get killed, and Houston would be back in the race against the Colts for the AFC South once again..

They already have a #2 opposite AJ in Hopkins who has had a solid year.

Before the draft they will have a housecleaning to do. Are they able to do what the Colts did and erase the board and start over with new coaches and front office cutting ties with players like Foster, Schaub, and will Johnson want to stay and start over. It's a similar situation that the Colts found themselves in. I don't see the Texans having the nerve to wipe the board and if they do they then have to find a good staff and front office. The Texans did not get to the playoffs by thinking bold, they used a very slow incremental 2 steps forward, 1 step back and it took them a very long time just to get the division 2 times with the help of injury to the Colts franchise player. Finally they have some of the worst fans in the NFL, go to the bullpen and read what their fans say, listen to the Texan players talk about their own fans. Schadenfreude.

Why would you not think Bridgewater is NFL ready? He's a better prospect than RG3, who went 2nd in the draft and won OROY. 

If they end up with one of the first couple picks and there is a potential franchise QB there they almost have to pull the trigger. If Keenum doesn't work out than the price to move up even a few spots to get a franchise QB next year will cost them far more than passing on Clowney, Barr, etc ...

And if they get a new HC, than they will almost certainly will draft a QB.

Houston Trades number one pick gets a couple first rounders and a second rounder from a team who needs a QB. I think Jacksonville will make a move. now that is a team with the right QB could end up making the AFC south stronger. they have the RB, the WR's, the defense (which could be really good, if they could stay off the field.) 

Why would you not think Bridgewater is NFL ready? He's a better prospect than RG3, who went 2nd in the draft and won OROY. 

First off, RG3 is a great athlete, not a great QB yet. He still can't read Defenses, is egotistical, which affects his leadership, and Luck deserved the OROY last year for how he transformed the Colts from the worst to the first...But i don't want this to get into that debate..these are only my opinions, to please keep that in mind.

I say that because no matter what, few excel being thrown to the wolves, especially if they don't have an o line that can protect the QB...I think he needs to sit and learn for a year or two, bring in a guy like Hasselbeck to help mentor him if they do draft him. Even Peyton who was the best prospect ever was 3-13 thrown to the wolves his first year. I'm not saying he wont make it in the NFL, or even become a great QB, because I do see the potential..RG3 and Kaepernik struggle a lot...They did well their first year, due to the fact that teams weren't prepared for that type of offense..Teams have figured out how to stop those two for the most part, Luck and Wilson are still doing great in their second year. So drafting RG3 for all of those picks was a big mistake, almost akin the the Herschel Walker fiasco.

The Texans have some good weapons on offense..if they pick up a few decent pass blocking O-Linemen, and another WR off the Free agent market, that will help them, but they still will be elite, but more competitive with a guy like an Alex Smith..someone that wont turn the ball over and manage the game. I feel that they need to shore up with an extra LB, and Barr is a beast, team him with cushing an the front 7 will be hard pressed to run against.. Pick up a couple of DB's in the second and 3rd, unless a quality WR is still available, and the D will be set..

I think Bridgewater is very talented, and out of the bunch seems to be the most NFL ready..but so was Jimmy Clawson, Carr. among others with that same designation that washed out. With Barr,,you have a D that is set for a very long time..IF they take Bridgewater, they better go all out for an O-Line..or it won't matter how good he is..he's no Luck or Wilson in that respect. and he hasn't done it against better college competition.

I just feel in this situation, going with Barr, and DB's, and maybe a sleeper WR, would benefit the Texans in the long run. But then, its only my opinion..

If they end up with one of the first couple picks and there is a potential franchise QB there they almost have to pull the trigger. If Keenum doesn't work out than the price to move up even a few spots to get a franchise QB next year will cost them far more than passing on Clowney, Barr, etc ...

And if they get a new HC, than they will almost certainly will draft a QB.

I think Keenum is proving he could be a good QB. at least better then schaub and Yates. 

First off, RG3 is a great athlete, not a great QB yet. He still can't read Defenses, is egotistical, which affects his leadership, and Luck deserved the OROY last year for how he transformed the Colts from the worst to the first...But i don't want this to get into that debate..these are only my opinions, to please keep that in mind.

I say that because no matter what, few excel being thrown to the wolves, especially if they don't have an o line that can protect the QB...I think he needs to sit and learn for a year or two, bring in a guy like Hasselbeck to help mentor him if they do draft him. Even Peyton who was the best prospect ever was 3-13 thrown to the wolves his first year. I'm not saying he wont make it in the NFL, or even become a great QB, because I do see the potential..RG3 and Kaepernik struggle a lot...They did well their first year, due to the fact that teams weren't prepared for that type of offense..Teams have figured out how to stop those two for the most part, Luck and Wilson are still doing great in their second year. So drafting RG3 for all of those picks was a big mistake, almost akin the the Herschel Walker fiasco.

The Texans have some good weapons on offense..if they pick up a few decent pass blocking O-Linemen, and another WR off the Free agent market, that will help them, but they still will be elite, but more competitive with a guy like an Alex Smith..someone that wont turn the ball over and manage the game. I feel that they need to shore up with an extra LB, and Barr is a beast, team him with cushing an the front 7 will be hard pressed to run against.. Pick up a couple of DB's in the second and 3rd, unless a quality WR is still available, and the D will be set..

I think Bridgewater is very talented, and out of the bunch seems to be the most NFL ready..but so was Jimmy Clawson, Carr. among others with that same designation that washed out. With Barr,,you have a D that is set for a very long time..IF they take Bridgewater, they better go all out for an O-Line..or it won't matter how good he is..he's no Luck or Wilson in that respect. and he hasn't done it against better college competition.

I just feel in this situation, going with Barr, and DB's, and maybe a sleeper WR, would benefit the Texans in the long run. But then, its only my opinion..

honestly it is hard to say who should have been OROY last year. You mentioned Luck, and RG3 but what about Wilson? all three of them broke or tied rookie records for a certain stat (which were held by manning) then there was Doug Martin who rushed for 1400 yards and Alfred Morris who ran for 1600+ yards and was only behind Adrian Peterson for the most rushing yards last year. 

as far as QB's to draft, I think Lynch from Northern Illinois and Derek Carr from Fresno (yes david carr's little brother) would be the better QB's. Lynch has an arm and can also scramble if needed, kinda like a Aaron Rogers, Carr is better then what his brother was and i think could have a decent NFL career if with the right team and offensive scheme. if anything i think the texans should wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to draft a QB go MLB in the first if they can because Cushing cant seem to stay healthy unfortunately for them because he is a talented MLB. i mean two knee injuries in as many years, is def not good, especially when that position requires them to move left or right or back and forth all the time. 

I think Keenum is proving he could be a good QB. at least better then schaub and Yates. 

I think he looks pretty good too, but I don't know if he is "franchise QB good"  and that is what Houston needs.  Think about all the pieces they have had over past few years ... they have been solid - very good just about everywhere ... the missing component has been a star QB.

They can always let Keenum start the season, hes playing for peanuts ...  and they can trade the QB they drafted after they are sure Keenum is the real deal.  If Keenum turns out to be a dud than they have his replacement ready.  I would rather go that route than not draft a QB, Keenum crashes and burns, and then have to possibly give up a boat load of picks to get a QB next year.

If they pass on a QB and JAX takes him and he turns out to be great the Houston fans will burn someone at the stake.

Their best move, imo, is getting Barr. There isn't an NFL ready QB ready to be thrown to the wolves..sorry Teddy but you need a year or two. Adding the best LB in the draft to team with Cushing, and still having that D-Line, lead by Watt, would make the front 7 one of the best in football..Injuries have killed thier offense, and they need O=Line help almost as bad as the Colts do. They have two very good RB's in Foster and Tate, a great WR in Andre, and a decent TE. Sure they need a QB, but I don't care who comes out this year, there is no Luck or Wilson, (I don't care about RG3 and Kaepernick, they are not ready yet as consistent NFL QB's. I would also try to get 1 or two decent DB's, and make that defense the best in the NFL, Keenan was thrown to the wolves, and for the most part did, somewhat ok, considering his youth and inexperience, and missing the injury plagued ground game.

As is mentioned, Hopkins has shown flashes at WR, not sure hes a number one though, which they need since Andre Johnson is no spring chicken, and is showing signs of wanting out.

In regards to the RB situation, Foster is 29 with a back surgery and a lot of miles on the tires. Ben Tate is in a contract year this year, and their cap space isnt very friendly to re signing him. Their actually pretty thin there. ILB is pretty thin too, and with Cushing tearing both his LCL and ACL in the same knee in 2 consecutive seasons, he may never be the same player again.

To top it all off, J.J. Watts rookie contract is up after next season I believe, which means he could test free agency.

So if you consider all that with the issues on the O-line and in the secondary, you come to realize just how bad the situation in Houston is. What once was thought to be a very talented team has been revealed for what it is: a group of mediocre players that are occasionally masked by superstar play.

A lot of folks laughed when I said Cam Newton would be the No.1 pick as soon as the offseason started a couple of years ago.

Don't be shocked if Johnny Manziel is the No.1 pick. He has faced speedy competition in the SEC and that is a big plus while getting used to NFL speed as a QB.

There is no Luck or Wilson in this draft? It's not like Wilson was a sure thing when he was drafted....in the 3rd round.

I think he looks pretty good too, but I don't know if he is "franchise QB good" and that is what Houston needs. Think about all the pieces they have had over past few years ... they have been solid - very good just about everywhere ... the missing component has been a star QB.

They can always let Keenum start the season, hes playing for peanuts ... and they can trade the QB they drafted after they are sure Keenum is the real deal. If Keenum turns out to be a dud than they have his replacement ready. I would rather go that route than not draft a QB, Keenum crashes and burns, and then have to possibly give up a boat load of picks to get a QB next year.

If they pass on a QB and JAX takes him and he turns out to be great the Houston fans will burn someone at the stake.

The bolded is good for a laugh.

If the Texans draft a QB #1 overall, Keenem is as good as done in Houston unless he resides himself to backup role. And there ain't no way in hell they draft a QB #1 overall with the idea that they would still start Keenem and then trade the rookie midseason if Keenem does become "the real deal". That's just really bad management on so many levels. No team would ever (I think I can safely say ever here and actually mean ever) do that.

Note: Do you know how much value you'd lose on a #1 draft pick from draft day to when you attempt to trade him midseason because he was beat out by Keenem?

The bolded is good for a laugh.

If the Texans draft a QB #1 overall, Keenem is as good as done in Houston unless he resides himself to backup role. And there ain't no way in hell they draft a QB #1 overall with the idea that they would still start Keenem and then trade the rookie midseason if Keenem does become "the real deal". That's just really bad management on so many levels, no team would ever (I think I can safely say ever here and actually mean ever) do that.

I agree that it is very unlikely scenario.  I think they definitely draft a QB and Keenum is backup/traded. But IF you believe like some have suggested that there is no one ready to start this year AND you think Keenum might be the guy, starting the veteran and sitting the rookie to start the season is not without precedent.

There is no Luck or Wilson in this draft? It's not like Wilson was a sure thing when he was drafted....in the 3rd round.

Wilson in ability, was worthy of a first round pick. NFL coaches placed too much emphasis on his size. No one questioned his leadership, his poise, his arm..He just isn't tall..And quarterbacks that are smaller, have done well in the NFL..Drew Brees is a perfect example. Warren Moon was not an atypical QB either because of his size. Just like TY Hilton he's considered too small, but if her were 6' or higher he would have gone in the first round. He was more of a sure thing than RG3 in my opinion, He isn't the pure athlete that RG3 is, BUT, he had more intangibles seen in an NFL QB, than RG3. RG3 relies on his athletic talent, more than his brain. Wilson can read defenses, can move in the pocket as well as anyone, and is a leader on and off the field. He doesn't complain about this and that. He keeps his mouth shut, until it needs to be opended, and the rest of his team is behind him much more than RG3.

There are few QB's drafted that are a  sure thing immediately making an impact. Raw talent can only take you so far. Its what you do with that talent, is what matters. RG3 had a great rookie year, but when it comes down to it, take away his running ability, he just plain mediocre.

As is mentioned, Hopkins has shown flashes at WR, not sure hes a number one though, which they need since Andre Johnson is no spring chicken, and is showing signs of wanting out.

In regards to the RB situation, Foster is 29 with a back surgery and a lot of miles on the tires. Ben Tate is in a contract year this year, and their cap space isnt very friendly to re signing him. Their actually pretty thin there. ILB is pretty thin too, and with Cushing tearing both his LCL and ACL in the same knee in 2 consecutive seasons, he may never be the same player again.

To top it all off, J.J. Watts rookie contract is up after next season I believe, which means he could test free agency.

So if you consider all that with the issues on the O-line and in the secondary, you come to realize just how bad the situation in Houston is. What once was thought to be a very talented team has been revealed for what it is: a group of mediocre players that are occasionally masked by superstar play.

I agree, but for a couple of years, they can fill in the spots, especially with a player like Barr .Look at what Luke Keuchly did to solidify a desperate need at LB. Many say now he is one of the top LB's in football.

It is a bad situation in Houston..no disagreement with you in that regard, but they have enough to get some K defensive players, and build up that D for the next 2 years. They truly do have enough on Offense, that can help take some of the pressure off the offenseThat's why I said Barr, and some secondary help is sorely needed. A great defense can win 2-3 games fo you if the O can keep close.They'll find anyway to keep Watt.They aren't letting the best Defensive player go anywhere.

I just wouldn't go QB in the first if I were pickin for Houston..now if they could trade down a couple of spots, and still get Batt and a couple o extra draft picks

Wilson in ability, was worthy of a first round pick. NFL coaches placed too much emphasis on his size. No one questioned his leadership, his poise, his arm..He just isn't tall..And quarterbacks that are smaller, have done well in the NFL..Drew Brees is a perfect example. Warren Moon was not an atypical QB either because of his size. Just like TY Hilton he's considered too small, but if her were 6' or higher he would have gone in the first round. He was more of a sure thing than RG3 in my opinion, He isn't the pure athlete that RG3 is, BUT, he had more intangibles seen in an NFL QB, than RG3. RG3 relies on his athletic talent, more than his brain. Wilson can read defenses, can move in the pocket as well as anyone, and is a leader on and off the field. He doesn't complain about this and that. He keeps his mouth shut, until it needs to be opended, and the rest of his team is behind him much more than RG3.

There are few QB's drafted that are a sure thing immediately making an impact. Raw talent can only take you so far. Its what you do with that talent, is what matters. RG3 had a great rookie year, but when it comes down to it, take away his running ability, he just plain mediocre.

I'm just saying that it's hard to say their is no Luck or Wilson in this draft. Hell, for all we know there could be someone better. Who would of predicted Nick Foles would throw 19 TD's and zero picks his second year in the league?

And Warren Moon was 6'3 220

I agree that it is very unlikely scenario. I think they definitely draft a QB and Keenum is backup/traded. But IF you believe like some have suggested that there is no one ready to start this year AND you think Keenum might be the guy, starting the veteran and sitting the rookie to start the season is not without precedent.

Certainly, Keenum could start until the rookie is ready but now-a-days it's more in vogue to throw a rookie QB in the fire, especially if it's a #1 overall QB and your other option is an underwhelming Case Keenum. My real problem with your post was the idea they would draft a QB #1 with the idea that they might trade said QB midseason.

I'm just saying that it's hard to say their is no Luck or Wilson in this draft. Hell, for all we know there could be someone better. Who would of predicted Nick Foles would throw 19 TD's and zero picks his second year in the league?

And Warren Moon was 6'3 220

My mistake on Moon..its 8:34 AM here and I still haven't gotten to sleep yet.thanks for pointing that out to me.

And what you say. it is hard..I just don't see anyone in this year's crop that is ready to get drafted and thrown to the ptoba

Certainly, Keenum could start until the rookie is ready but now-a-days it's more in vogue to throw a rookie QB in the fire, especially if it's a #1 overall QB and your other option is an underwhelming Case Keenum. My real problem with your post was the idea they would draft a QB #1 with the idea that they might trade said QB midseason.

Again I agree with you ... 1st round rookies are usually started now.  I believe this will be the case in Houston as well.

I guess I should have included a disclaimer in the original post that indicated it was more of a "worst came to worst" more hypothetical post than something I thought had a high probability of actually happening.  ;)

With that being said (totally on hypothetical here), lets say they draft a QB, but decide to sit the rookie to begin with and start Keenum, and Keenum comes out goes on a role winning games looking like Drew Brees crossed with R Wilson .... now team X offers their 2015 1st or more for the QB they just drafted ... I believe they would take the offer. ... Extremely unlikely? Yes  ... Totally out of the realm of possibility? No ... Strangest thing to happen in NFL? No

Again I agree with you ... 1st round rookies are usually started now. I believe this will be the case in Houston as well.

I guess I should have included a disclaimer in the original post that indicated it was more of a "worst came to worst" more hypothetical post than something I thought had a high probability of actually happening. ;)

With that being said (totally on hypothetical here), lets say they draft a QB, but decide to sit the rookie to begin with and start Keenum, and Keenum comes out goes on a role winning games looking like Drew Brees crossed with R Wilson .... now team X offers their 2015 1st or more for the QB they just drafted ... I believe they would take the offer. ... Extremely unlikely? Yes ... Totally out of the realm of possibility? No ... Strangest thing to happen in NFL? No

The way you worded it was as if the Texans would draft a QB #1 hoping Case Keenum would become this "real deal" so they can trade their rookie #1 QB midseason.

I'd like to add that Case Keenum is bad. If the Texans see anything in one of the top QBs they will draft one or trade back a bit if #1 is too high for who they like.