Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew is holding onto the ball far too long.

MaoBerry

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean then?

I'm talking start of the play till break down of the play.

I'm talking about from the second the center moves. Till the time Luck gets the ball, varying on shotgun player obviously. To where he secures it and starts making his reads. Not 5 seconds with the ball surveying the field. I would estimate he has about 2 seconds with the ball to make his reads. And this is which a chaotic pocket. Not a clean one.

I'm talking about from the second the center moves. Till the time Luck gets the ball, varying on shotgun player obviously. To where he secures it and starts making his reads. Not 5 seconds with the ball surveying the field. I would estimate he has about 2 seconds with the ball to make his reads. And this is which a chaotic pocket. Not a clean one.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Dustin is right, the average QB has roughly 3 seconds...thats it. Not even a H.O.F. line could give you 5 or more seconds.

5 seconds even in that scenario is still extremely long.

Saying he holds the ball too long simplifies the situation too much. I'm sure he probably is on occasion. But is the o line even giving him two seconds? What play was he given? Are all his targets deep routes? Does he have time to get through his progressions? Are any of his receivers open? Are any breaking off their routes when he's in trouble? Did any gain separation? Does the open receiver grab the ball when it hits his hands or bounces off his chest pads?

Lots of stuff happening out there. I can't lay it all on his lap.

Saying he holds the ball too long simplifies the situation too much. I'm sure he probably is on occasion. But is the o line even giving him two seconds? What play was he given? Are all his targets deep routes? Does he have time to get through his progressions? Are any of his receivers open? Are any breaking off their routes when he's in trouble? Did any gain separation? Does the open receiver grab the ball when it hits his hands or bounces off his chest pads?

Lots of stuff happening out there. I can't lay it all on his lap.

There have been times where the o-line just crumbles before he can do anything but a lot of time he does create his own pressure by just holding it too long.  Now what we can't see and as you pointed out, is probably the real reason he's holding it so long.  His guys just aren't getting open.  This team misses Reggie and they miss him badly.

I would still like to see more quick slants and screens plays that are designed for the ball to come out quick before the defense can really pick up a receiver and before the pressure can get there to hit him.   That or call more bootlegs to get him on the move where he can run if no one is open. 

Hopefully Rogers can be our x-factor that could push us through the playoffs like Sanders did in 2006.

That is a lot put on the shoulders of a rookie. It takes time for receivers to develop.....generally, even the ones drafted very high. He may show flashes, but I doubt he would be ready to carry an offense.

Totally disagree. Kid has ZERO time to hold the ball too long. He has to step up or leave the pocket all together within 2.5 seconds on every snap. Saying he holds the ball too long, imply's he actually has time to make his reads, and decides to hold it instead. For the record, that absolutely never happens.

Peyton would be rid of the ball sooner than that. Luck has always been slow getting rid of the ball. He is a tremendous young talent but that is the one serious flaw in his game. I am not sure ANY offensive line could protect him from taking a beating.

Peyton would be rid of the ball sooner than that. Luck has always been slow getting rid of the ball. He is a tremendous young talent but that is the one serious flaw in his game. I am not sure ANY offensive line could protect him from taking a beating.

lmao

You are a tenacious one huh?

Hey Olblue, Peyton don't work here anymore. The peyton threads are that way>

This is a myth. Luck has one of the quickest releases in the league. When you have recievers who get no separation and an oline that gives you no time on pretty much every down, it leaves little room for error as a QB.

There have been times where the o-line just crumbles before he can do anything but a lot of time he does create his own pressure by just holding it too long. Now what we can't see and as you pointed out, is probably the real reason he's holding it so long. His guys just aren't getting open. This team misses Reggie and they miss him badly.

I would still like to see more quick slants and screens plays that are designed for the ball to come out quick before the defense can really pick up a receiver and before the pressure can get there to hit him. That or call more bootlegs to get him on the move where he can run if no one is open.

Double post but you can't run slants if these guys aren't getting open or can't catch the ball. I do however agree on more bootlegs, will help in terms of the direct pressure Luck gets on a down.

Double post but you can't run slants if these guys aren't getting open or can't catch the ball. I do however agree on more bootlegs, will help in terms of the direct pressure Luck gets on a down.

I agree, separation is part of the problem and maybe that's why we aren't seeing more slants. 

That is a lot put on the shoulders of a rookie. It takes time for receivers to develop.....generally, even the ones drafted very high. He may show flashes, but I doubt he would be ready to carry an offense.

At this point, flashes would do a whole lot more than having DHB out there.  I'm not expecting him to become Randy Moss in the playoffs, but if he becomes at least a potential threat then that would be enough.

At this point, flashes would do a whole lot more than having DHB out there.  I'm not expecting him to become Randy Moss in the playoffs, but if he becomes at least a potential threat then that would be enough.

Drawing that pass interference was more than DHB did today. Rogers looks like a beast and easily had his man beat. Can't wait until Luck gains confidence in him.

Drawing that pass interference was more than DHB did today. Rogers looks like a beast and easily had his man beat. Can't wait until Luck gains confidence in him.

Hey you know how much work it takes to drop a wide open pass like that?  You have to work at being that bad!  Just thank goodness Manning is gone, "Gosh Darn It Donald!" would have been blown off the internet if he was still there. 

In fairness DHB did have one nice catch today the problem was it was his only catch on five targets.  I was over him after the Texans game and still am.  I am so sick of watching him not catch a pass and turn to the ref and go flag flag.  Split his reps between Brazil and Rogers and use him only in an emergency.

Hey you know how much work it takes to drop a wide open pass like that?  You have to work at being that bad!  Just thank goodness Manning is gone, "Gosh Darn It Donald!" would have been blown off the internet if he was still there. 

In fairness DHB did have one nice catch today the problem was it was his only catch on five targets.  I was over him after the Texans game and still am.  I am so sick of watching him not catch a pass and turn to the ref and go flag flag.  Split his reps between Brazil and Rogers and use him only in an emergency.

Lol, he does ask for a flag after every drop

Yeah, I don't know what the coaches are thinking.  I guess he has to pay his dues like everyone else.  Right now he is considered the 4th WR on the depth chart and he has to work his way up.  I have no problem with that.  I just hope he works his way up quickly.  The more he works his way up, the more it will do for his maturity.  Make him work for it, that way he won't slack on the field because he knows how hard it was to get there and how easy it will be to lose it.  People like to rag on Chuck, but he knows what he's doing with Da'Rick.

Luck does hang onto the ball to long, There are multiple reasons for this and not just narrowed down to 1

1.If Corners so much as lay a hand on our wr's none of them (except Da'Rick Rodgers) has the ability to consistently get separation

2.Andrew tends to stare down his target to long on a per game basis

3.Luck looks to want to push the ball downfield in one long play ALOT causing him to lock onto that 1 deep wr at the expense of missing someone wide open underneath (He is wavering a bit on this back and forth, sometimes I think he is getting better and other times he proves me wrong about him getting better)...That goes hand in hand with #2

4.We are playing without an interior O Line period, Thornton has no business being on the field his first year in the league and its easy to see, Cant recognize simple stunts (he almost averages getting beat by 1 per game im sure if I went back to every game he started)....Satele......Mcglynn........yeah moving on now

All of that has created this mess.........Through it all we are 8 and 4......Ill take it with the expectation that upgrades will be coming next year to get rid of some of the dead weight

Our division is almost locked up, so now is the time to try some different looks out and see if rogers (basically all of our young guys on offense) can fly or not. We should use him like the browns use gordon.

I don't believe Rogers will ever be as good as Gordon. Gordon has an extra gear he can hit and is a ridiculously talented individual no disrespect to Rogers. Gordon hadn't played in two years I believe plus had known abuse issues and yet was selected with the equivalent of a 2nd while Rogers went undrafted and was cut by the Bills.

I don't believe Rogers will ever be as good as Gordon. Gordon has an extra gear he can hit and is a ridiculously talented individual no disrespect to Rogers. Gordon hadn't played in two years I believe plus had known abuse issues and yet was selected with the equivalent of a 2nd while Rogers went undrafted and was cut by the Bills.

That had nothing to do with with talent

That had nothing to do with with talent

The game is as much mental and emotional as it is physical. Currently Josh Gordon is on another planet. I bet everyone would've been ok with trading the 2nd for him if they knew this would happen. Back to back 200 yard games? That's insane.

The game is as much mental and emotional as it is physical. Currently Josh Gordon is on another planet. I bet everyone would've been ok with trading the 2nd for him if they knew this would happen. Back to back 200 yard games? That's insane.

I agree about the mental/emotional aspect ... I believe this is the main part he is working on right now ... Everything else being equal I think that Rogers is every bit as talented as Gordon.  Whether he can get his other issues fixed and reach that level is a completely different story.

I think a lot of people still would be concerned about trading a 2nd knowing how easy he could be suspended.

I agree about the mental/emotional aspect ... I believe this is the main part he is working on right now ... Everything else being equal I think that Rogers is every bit as talented as Gordon.  Whether he can get his other issues fixed and reach that level is a completely different story.

I think a lot of people still would be concerned about trading a 2nd knowing how easy he could be suspended.

He could still be suspended of course and im not denying that Rogers has some talent but Gordon is just dominating games at the moment. The Colts have been having trouble moving the ball and receivers are having trouble separating. Gordon just compiled 267 yards on only 10 targets after going over 200 yards on 14 targets last week. Instead we continue to see DHB separate only to watch the nail him in the shoulder pads before failing to the ground. Gordon could've really opened the offense up because lately Hilton hasn't been getting enough production. Pretty much the only positive about Wayne being out is that Fleener has seemed to step up and I notice him more now which is good considering what a matchup nightmare he could be. The Colts need someone to take Reggie's spot whether its by free agency (Nicks, Britt, Maclin), trade (Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon) or draft (Ty Montgomery or Amari Cooper next year). I'll be really upset if we use our 2nd on a receiver when we could have had Gordon this whole time.

I am not sure if the Browns seriously thought about trading Gordan.

I think they were very serious, but the Richardson trade kept us from pulling the trigger. I think they probably wanted a 2 + ?, but we did not want to basically trade away the entire upcoming draft.

I think they were very serious, but the Richardson trade kept us from pulling the trigger. I think they probably wanted a 2 + ?, but we did not want to basically trade away the entire upcoming draft.

maybe but I don't know I think they felt they had a bust in T-Rich but I think Gordan rumors were just that Rumor.

of course its as much...and more mental and emotional, Yeah I would have been alright at the time trading our 2nd for him, Still I like Jordan Matthews ALOT, Wish he would fall to the late second but that wont happen

This is a myth. Luck has one of the quickest releases in the league. When you have recievers who get no separation and an oline that gives you no time on pretty much every down, it leaves little room for error as a QB.

It is no myth. It is a fact. I don't think anyone has questioned his release but just how long he takes to do it and how rarely he looks to his secondary receivers. Time Peyton Manning and then time Luck. The difference is very significant. Now, I don't think it is a permanent problem. As you say, his release is fine. He just needs to make faster decisions and get rid of the ball.

Hey Olblue, Peyton don't work here anymore. The peyton threads are that way>

Just an example. Use Rogers, Brees or any of the top QBs for comparison. Luck is slow to pick out secondary targets. His release is fine. He just doesn't make those decisions quick enough. He will learn to do that.

Just an example. Use Rogers, Brees or any of the top QBs for comparison. Luck is slow to pick out secondary targets. His release is fine. He just doesn't make those decisions quick enough. He will learn to do that.

Yes it was just a comparison, but you will bring up Peyton and put down Luck every chance you get.

Same as Polian and Grigson. You changed user names but your still the same bitter OlBlue it just keeps coming out in all your post.

Are you aware of how highly rogers was scouted? He was a 5 star recruit, while gordon was a 3 star. He's bigger, stronger and faster than josh. If he decides to ball, then WATCH OUT.