Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew is holding onto the ball far too long.

MaoBerry

Are you aware of how highly rogers was scouted? He was a 5 star recruit, while gordon was a 3 star. He's bigger, stronger and faster than josh. If he decides to ball, then WATCH OUT.

It doesn't matter who is more highly scouted going into college. It rarely if ever matters as there are probably of 5 star recruits that fall flat on their face while players that more lightly scouted exceed. If GMs and scouts really believed he could put it all together and be a star he wouldn't have gone undrafted, he wouldn't have been cut and we definitely wouldn't just be able to leave him on the PS for as long as we did. It's extremely unrealistic to expect Rogers to be anywhere near as productive as Gordon. Right now there are hardly any if any receivers that can hang with Gordon and that's nothing to be ashamed about. Gordon would have fit perfectly into the offense and if Rogers did/does become anything then all of a sudden you have a great young receiving corps. Instead we have to sit around and wait for a #1 receiver to show up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes he does, granted.  But more often than not, it's a product of the poor pass protection.  And "poor" isn't a bad enough term for how bad i'ts been.  When you don't get any consistency in pass protection, it's tough to ask Luck to be consistent in the pocket.  Its' hard enough to read the defense without concentrating on looking over your shoulder. 

I agree that he tends to hold it too long in this sense: When he does not see an open receiver within the first two seconds (or so) and the pocket is collapsing he is still thinking "complete the pass" instead of throwing it away or tucking it away. Too many times he leaves the ball exposed to stripping or tries to shovel it to a guy right by him. He needs to do a better job at protecting the ball....However, I think this mentality is, overall, a positive thing, because next year when the Colts have a much improved line and receiving core (and they will) this mentality of "I'm going to complete a pass or die trying" is one of the things that separate the great QB's from the good ones. 

Sometimes he does, granted.  But more often than not, it's a product of the poor pass protection.  And "poor" isn't a bad enough term for how bad i'ts been.  When you don't get any consistency in pass protection, it's tough to ask Luck to be consistent in the pocket.  Its' hard enough to read the defense without concentrating on looking over your shoulder. 

bad play calling, better play calling could make our bad o-line not look pathetic.

I noticed it too. When I am watching the games, I keep yelling "Throw it! Throw it!" at the TV. I think it's more of a problem with the receivers, because when Wayne was around he got the ball out a lot quicker, Wayne was able to get separation on his routes early, and the other WR's are struggling to do so.

Just an example. Use Rogers, Brees or any of the top QBs for comparison. Luck is slow to pick out secondary targets. His release is fine. He just doesn't make those decisions quick enough. He will learn to do that.

it could be a lot of things, receivers not separating quick enough, making wrong reads (luck or the receivers), not having confidence in receivers being able to make tough catches in tight coverage, or a bad offensive system.

maybe he is over thinking things, since he seems to do better in the two minute drill when everything has to be done fast.

While Andrew undeniably holds onto the ball for a long time, it fits his current style of play. Big Ben won 2 Super Bowls with that very same style of play, holding the ball while scrambling and waiting for receivers to break free. Although this is how he plays now and how a select few other QBs have succeeded with this philosophy, I would rather see him develop into an elite pocket passer with a quick and having the ability to scramble when needed. He has the tools to be the best and if he finds his own niche or uses examples of Manning and Brady and thrives in the pocket, he will be unstoppable.

I completely agree.  The OLine is bad but Luck is holding the ball forever.  It seems rarely does he make a quick read and fire it. Now, maybe nobody is getting open in that time.  But he has to fire that ball out quicker.

I think everyone agrees with you. He has to learn to adopt to a lone that is not working. Design quick toss plays and stick with them. If he can't hear those guys coming for him he needs to start sweeping his head from left to right. I also will add I am not happy with the offense coordinator. I think his play selection is way off. Andrew just may be doing too much and he needs to stop throwing the ball when he is in the grasp. That never works. He will learn.

With Reggie not "on the field" leading the team, Luck has needed to step up and become more of the team's leader...with extra responsibility on his back, along with Reggie not catching some passes that most WR's would let fly by, he is having a harder time concentrating on his job. Granted, the quarterback is the leader of the team, however, you also need help. With more experience under his belt, and a better OL, the team will start to mesh. JMO.

It is no myth. It is a fact. I don't think anyone has questioned his release but just how long he takes to do it and how rarely he looks to his secondary receivers. Time Peyton Manning and then time Luck. The difference is very significant. Now, I don't think it is a permanent problem. As you say, his release is fine. He just needs to make faster decisions and get rid of the ball.

As others have pointed out, there are a variety of reasons why he isn't getting rid of the ball quicker. Could be the play-design, guys getting open, protection, down and distant etc. The difference is that Luck and Manning are separated by 14 years in terms of their experience. Manning already knows nearly every possible coverage and where he's going with the ball before the play even begins, regardless if he has immediate or no pressure on the play.

You can't expect Luck to make a faster decision when the WR isn't open half the time either. Luck's been a lot better this year about not forcing the ball into coverage compared to last year. I also think that Luck, who would never admit something like this, is not really looking DHB's direction much anymore on a play even when he may come open. To be honest, I wouldn't either. You'd almost be better off forcing it or throwing it up and trying to let one of the WR's who can catch try and make a play.

And not that this needs to be said but Manning's weapons are head and shoulders above the Colts weapons right now. His oline is better as well.

He does hold it too long...but we aren't getting much separation in our routes. If you look at PM he is getting rid of the ball in about 2.1 seconds....far far far faster than Luck. Granted about 80% of his snaps come from shotgun too however. The difference is Peyton recognizes the defenses...checks to a play that will best work against a front and then throws his receivers open rather than wait til they get open. This is what elite qbs do....get rid of the ball fast, read defenses before and after snap, and throw to the open window....not the open receiver....Luck has a long way to go....he is GREAT!!! Just not there yet.

I think a lot of the problem is the OL and the failure of the receivers to get open.  He has a very fast release, but comparing him to Manning or Brady is not a good comparison. I don't think he will ever get rid of the ball on a consistent basis as quickly as they do ... not because he can't, but because he has abilities they do not.  Luck knows he can shake off a sack, scramble and extend the play, or pull it down and run it if he has to, where as a Manning is toast if he doesn't get rid of it fast.  So he is going to hold it for that extra .5 - 1 seconds sometimes instead of checking it down or throwing it away.  Luck's style is going to result it more sacks than Manning & some  other QBs take, but it is going to make up for it by turning what would be a broken or "no gain play" for Manning/Brady into positive plays and/or big plays.  I believe once he gets some protection and more experience we will have a QB that gives us the best of both worlds.

I  agree, as bad as the o-line has been when he does have the time he's overthrowing wr's. Even last year Wayne had to make some unbelievable catches because the passes were too high. At some point we have to stop making excuses because Russell Wilson has a terrible o-line with average wr's and he's playing great. Luck actually has a lower passer rating then Wilson, Foles, Kaep, RG3, and Tannehill. Sometimes he looks like the best QB in the league but then he starts to play like the Brett Farve(bad side), gunslinger mentality taking too many chances. Luck simply has to play better regardless if Wayne is not there.

I  agree, as bad as the o-line has been when he does have the time he's overthrowing wr's. Even last year Wayne had to make some unbelievable catches because the passes were too high. At some point we have to stop making excuses because Russell Wilson has a terrible o-line with average wr's and he's playing great. Luck actually has a lower passer rating then Wilson, Foles, Kaep, RG3, and Tannehill. Sometimes he looks like the best QB in the league but then he starts to play like the Brett Farve(bad side), gunslinger mentality taking too many chances. Luck simply has to play better regardless if Wayne is not there.

What can you do when you have below avg WR that can't get open?  As much as i love staying at the Hilton, TY is avg right now and everyone else is just there to take up space.  Wilson's WR has way better receivers than Luck right now.  Seahawks 2nd string OLine is better than our 1st string OLine.  And plus i don't seen good play call when it comes to short routes.  

What can you do when you have below avg WR that can't get open?  As much as i love staying at the Hilton, TY is avg right now and everyone else is just there to take up space.  Wilson's WR has way better receivers than Luck right now.  Seahawks 2nd string OLine is better than our 1st string OLine.  And plus i don't seen good play call when it comes to short routes.  

T.Y is better then anyone the Seahawks have and when you combine the rest of the  Wr's  and TE's,  they are about equal. Wilson was without his LT and C for most of the year and he's been sacked the same amount as Luck. Not just this year but last Luck accuracy has been a major concern even with a healthy Wayne. Luck has to play better and i'm not making any more excuses for him.

Yes, our o-line stinks (agreed), but luck is also waiting way too long for longer routes to develope. He's not checking down, when the pressure is coming. I wonder if we're using too many plays in the 'B.A.' system.

He doesn't really have a great supporting cast of targets to go to either..

Reggie was a HUGE part of this offense..