Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Fans Will Jump Ship... (Merge)

dn4192

With all I am reading about how everyone hates Jim Caldwell and how the Polians need to be let go and how we don't need Andrew Luck should we get the opportunity to draft him....I am just wondering how many fans will switch to another team, stop watching or whatever when..

1. Jim Caldwell is back for his 4th season next year

2. Both Polians are still in charge next year

3. And should we have the chance the Colts draft Luck

Why should any fans "jump ship" just because the team doesnt listen to their ideas lol.... i want the colts to dump joseph addai and go after matt forte after this season but thats not gonna happen, doesnt mean that i will go for another team..

Well considering that I was a fan long before the Polian's and Caldwell were here I guess I will be a fan no matter who is running the front office and coaching. The coach I would like to see replaced right now is Coyer because he is not the DC that we need. As for Caldwell not saying I would be heart broken if he was gone. rotfl As for the Polian's we have had much worse in my opinion.

Why should any fans "jump ship" just because the team doesnt listen to their ideas lol.... i want the colts to dump joseph addai and go after matt forte after this season but thats not gonna happen, doesnt mean that i will go for another team..

That's the problem right there.I think people from the inside are actually buckling under the pressure from fans.For example;our additions of simms,anderson,brayton and so on.

That's the problem right there.I think people from the inside are actually buckling under the pressure from fans.For example;our additions of simms,anderson,brayton and so on.

what was wrong with the additions of Anderson, Brayton and Simms? They were signed to 1 year, low risk contracts and Anderson/Brayton have been solid contributors so far.

The main thing I can see happening is not much of Colts merchandise being bought if the Colts stop winning, fans will find other sports or avenues to spend their money. But I expect most Colts fans to continue watching the games. Viewership and money spent are two separate areas that will be affected differently should the Colts stop winning.

The only valid move that could be extrapolated as a PR move that did not help as a football move was the signing of Kerry Collins. Every other signing has been a good football move with low risk.

Letting go of Hayden and Tryon, well, that is a different story no one can get their complete hands around.

I think the fans that have or will move on will not see this thread. For them I think it's tied to winning more so than any of the issues that you mention.

I cannot think of what would make me stop watching and wishing and hoping they will win.

Too much time and energy to change. I know the players, I know the history, I would not want to start over

Fans thoughts and management thoughts aligned for a bit. Management does what management does

The only valid move that could be extrapolated as a PR move that did not help as a football move was the signing of Kerry Collins. Every other signing has been a good football move with low risk.

Letting go of Hayden and Tryon, well, that is a different story no one can get their complete hands around.

Yes,they were solid lowrisk moves.I agree.(besides collins).

I have always been a Pacer fan. Started way back as a kid while Pacers played in ABA. Went through ups and downs but always a fan to this day. No different with the Colts. Part of being a sports fan is going through the good times as well as the bad.

Now the "national fan" or the fan that watches from afar because they like Manning or Colts always on TV they will come and go.

I think the fans that have or will move on will not see this thread. For them I think it's tied to winning more so than any of the issues that you mention.

I cannot think of what would make me stop watching and wishing and hoping they will win.

Too much time and energy to change. I know the players, I know the history, I would not want to start over

Plus I think we all understand why we're losing..

..and we know what and where the answer is:

That old country boy standing there on the sidelines... :mellow:

I know when I will. When they quit trying to put a quality product on the field, and yet still gladly take your money. Several baseball clubs do it, and I believe it to be one of the dirtiest things imaginable. Until that day however, they can count me in win or lose. Ill never be complacent, and will continue vocalizing displeasure in aspects of the game I feel need addressed even on a 16-0 team.

1. Jim Caldwell is back for his 4th season next year: If the team can turn things around and even pull out 4-5 wins then, imo, that earns Jim another year. If we go winless he should be gone...my opinion. This team has far too much talent and has been playing too competitively to be winless right now. Some people will say the fact that we've been competitive is a testament to what Caldwell has done, but I disagree considering there have been zero wins in 5 winnable games. QB play is not the reason we've lost the past 5 games and this is why the "Manning is injured" excuse no longer applies, imo. If the Colts were playing well in all aspects EXCEPT for QB play then that would be different but that hasn't been the case since Painter took over. No, he's no Manning but no one is. He has played more than well enough for us to have won at least 2-3 games so far.

2. Both Polians are still in charge next year: I have no problems with the Polians. IMO the current issues are coaching related, both past and present coaches. I think Dungy set us back more than he helped us out.

3. And should we have the chance the Colts draft Luck: This wouldn't make me stop being a fan but I would consider it a huge mistake if Peyton gets a clean bill of health prior to the draft.

Yes,they've been solid and good additions.But i just don't want our management to dance to our tune.

I don't think the signing of these guys had anything to do with fans but rather the desire to do anything they could to get to the SB in Indy. That and/or the fact that Chris is GM now and not Bill. Bill was the one who rarely went into free agency. Chris may simply have a different approach, or he may have wanted to distinguish himself from his father...could be a number of things but I don't think it had anything to do with what fans wanted.

I think both Polians will be back and Caldwell will be back...even if we are 0-16...

This is such a unique situation..and our past success has been so longstanding..

We might get a new defensive co-ordinator (off topic: who actually IS our special teams coach?)....

I think Polian's bluffing on Luck. He wants other teams to THINK we'd take him.

..while he's secretly looking for two No.1s in exchange for our No.1

The way i see it the colts are taking a step forward, with players like that... bring in defensive players with talent.

To be honest, I came to be a Colts fan with Manning in '98. I was a big fan of his at Tennesee, so it just worked out. Now, faced with this injury and the twilight of his career, I can't imagine cheering on another team. My fiancee asked me "What if the Colts exercise their out clause? He'll definatley end up somewhere, right? And if he does, do you switch teams?" I told her no... The Colts are my team, no matter who is on the field, be it players or coaches. It has been frustrating, and even if Manning comes back for 3-4 more years, this is a good sneak preview of what happens in those years, unless the FO learns some very hard lessons RIGHT NOW. I had hoped, being as young as I am (27), that the '08 Lions would be the only 0-16 team I have to witness, but things are looking grim. Even if 0-16 comes true, I still sport the jerseys on Sunday, endlessly antagonize my friends and family while watching the games, and I still rock the silly blue foam rubber horse head. Always will!

GO COLTS!

With all I am reading about how everyone hates Jim Caldwell and how the Polians need to be let go and how we don't need Andrew Luck should we get the opportunity to draft him....I am just wondering how many fans will switch to another team, stop watching or whatever when..

Prolly about, oh, say, I don't know, maybe three?????

I think I can help with the Tryon situation. The Sunday before his release, he came off his coverage in the end zone to go after the QB on a roll out. The QB was already about to be nailed, but threw over Tryon for a TD. Play was not even close. He had come from 5 yards deep in the end zone (in front of the receiver) to the 5 yard line. Ball was caught, and Tryon wasn't within 10 yards of the QB or the receiver. I think that was the last straw with Polian. Just a little something I saw.

Not going anywhere, been apart of these forums for about 5 years (no matter how many times they have changed), and been a fan of the colts for a lot longer, only thing you can do is hope Manning comes back ready to roll next year, and we have a good season next year. Until then, you just hope this years team can start looking like a real football team eventually.

I think I can help with the Tryon situation. The Sunday before his release, he came off his coverage in the end zone to go after the QB on a roll out. The QB was already about to be nailed, but threw over Tryon for a TD. Play was not even close. He had come from 5 yards deep in the end zone (in front of the receiver) to the 5 yard line. Ball was caught, and Tryon wasn't within 10 yards of the QB or the receiver. I think that was the last straw with Polian. Just a little something I saw.

That just does not make sense to me, if that was the case, Lacey would have been cut a long time ago. He has been burned more than every other defender on the Colts combined.

I know when I will. When they quit trying to put a quality product on the field, and yet still gladly take your money. Several baseball clubs do it, and I believe it to be one of the dirtiest things imaginable. Until that day however, they can count me in win or lose. Ill never be complacent, and will continue vocalizing displeasure in aspects of the game I feel need addressed even on a 16-0 team.

True but I have not seen that in football. So far, the NFL works the way they want it to. Every team has a shot at the Big show.

I think if the league changed .........I could lose interest in all of it.

OR if they stop letting me watch for free on TV, that could do it too

That just does not make sense to me, if that was the case, Lacey would have been cut a long time ago. He has been burned more than every other defender on the Colts combined.

Used to hear the same thing about Eugene "toast" Daniels. Gotta remember, he's asked to cover the top receiver each an every week. Gonna get burnt. Let's see who starts at NO this week. Hope it's an upgrade, but TE Graham is 6'6" 265. Don't think it's gonna happen. We don't even have anyone with enough size to jam him at the LOS.

I really don't think it's because he gets burnt, but he doesn't make the mental mistakes Tryon did.

Edited by BIGugly

Well, I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because I hate threads that are made for the purposes of making other fans defend their fanhood, but if people really did start "jumping ship" for any of the reasons mentioned by the OP, then I suspect those people were never really fans to begin with.

Well, I wasn't going to get involved in this thread because I hate threads that are made for the purposes of making other fans defend their fanhood, but if people really did start "jumping ship" for any of the reasons mentioned by the OP, then I suspect those people were never really fans to begin with.

Right. All three of 'em.

The main thing I can see happening is not much of Colts merchandise being bought if the Colts stop winning, fans will find other sports or avenues to spend their money. But I expect most Colts fans to continue watching the games. Viewership and money spent are two separate areas that will be affected differently should the Colts stop winning.

I still watch and root for my Colts, but I have boycotted the pro shop this season.

True but I have not seen that in football. So far, the NFL works the way they want it to. Every team has a shot at the Big show.

I think if the league changed .........I could lose interest in all of it.

OR if they stop letting me watch for free on TV, that could do it too

lol true enough.

I was an avid baseball fan until 1976 when it went free agency. The cap in football will always keep it interesting for me. Losing Lynn, Fiske, and Burelson to FA in one fel swoop was it for me. Baseball went downhill. Not to mention even longer games to make it more boring.

I don't think fans jump ship to another team. They just jump ship because....well they jump on when you're winning. Nothing wrong with that..its the outer fringe of sport fans do.

The hardcore fans will be around no matter what.

and that's just the way it is:)

Who cares.

I'm not a Colts fan because it's the cool thing to do.

I'm not a Colts fan because they make the playoffs every year.

I'm simply just a Colts fan. I was here before Manning, Caldwell, Polian, etc.

And I GUARANTEE you I'l be a Colts fan after they are gone.

Things change.

It won't bother me if this year cleans out some of our "dead weight" fair-weather fans. IMO, they were never really "fans" of the Colts, just "fans" of success.

Good riddance!

This is really a silly question... nobody will be happy regardless of how the season turns out. And it looks like a typical 90's draft,,, picking early... :yuk:

But IMO Caldwell will be back unless this team totally tunes him out. And I don't see it happening.

2) Look at the resume... should they? I think so. But I want Bill doing the drafting if we are picking top 10.

3) If Manning is good to go for the rest of his career and Indy drafts a player #1 who will sit for 4 years then I will be VERY UPSET, and I am sure the rest of the team will be also. But, IMO it won't happen. If Manning is back I look for Indy to go ballz out in FA and in the draft to build a MONSTER in the next few years.

I'm a fan...regardless of that situation.They(colts)represent our state and our people.Its our duty as fans to support them.

They dont represent our state they represent Indy at best the Polian Show is not even shown out side the Indy area what kind of crap is that. Polian has shown he does not care for the fans of the Colts lets alone indiana.