Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodney Harrison: "We'd have easily won three Super Bowls with Peyton Manning"

bayone

Do you really think running was the problem? I don't know why I'm even bothering with you. It's very obvious to everyone that you're ignoring the basic facts of the game. 

The first four possessions of the second half, they ran the ball 11 times for 47 yards and three first downs. They attempted to throw the ball 7 times, gained 15 yards, gave up a sack/fumble and an INT. You keep saying the run wasn't producing any points, but the reason is because they kept trying to pass and it was killing drives. Two TOs, and two failed third downs, all as a result of pass plays.

It's very simple: The pass was NOT working, and the run was. It's insane for you to say "but the run wasn't producing any points." The pass was sabotaging the gains of the run.

How you can continue to argue this point is beyond me. (Actually, it's not. It's very obvious what you're doing.)

Yeah, not Manning's best night throwing for sure. Perhaps there was no answer. I just would rather go down with Manning throwing giving the season he was having with his receivers then running and not scoring but perhaps your right the pass game was pretty futile all night. I think my main reasoning for this is that when the Broncos had to throw at the end, they did and bang, bang, Manning goes down and scores. Seemed elementary to me. Put the ball in his hands. Even with the issues with the pass and the TO's, Manning still gives you the best chance to score. That has been true all season.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think running was the problem? I don't know why I'm even bothering with you. It's very obvious to everyone that you're ignoring the basic facts of the game. 

The first four possessions of the second half, they ran the ball 11 times for 47 yards and three first downs. They attempted to throw the ball 7 times, gained 15 yards, gave up a sack/fumble and an INT. You keep saying the run wasn't producing any points, but the reason is because they kept trying to pass and it was killing drives. Two TOs, and two failed third downs, all as a result of pass plays.

It's very simple: The pass was NOT working, and the run was. It's insane for you to say "but the run wasn't producing any points." The pass was sabotaging the gains of the run.

How you can continue to argue this point is beyond me. (Actually, it's not. It's very obvious what you're doing.)

Yeah, not Manning's best night throwing for sure. Perhaps there was no answer. I just would rather go down with Manning throwing giving the season he was having with his receivers then running and not scoring but perhaps your right the pass game was pretty futile all night. I think my main reasoning for this is that when the Broncos had to throw at the end, they did and bang, bang, Manning goes down and scores. Seemed elementary to me. Put the ball in his hands. Even with the issues with the pass and the TO's, Manning still gives you the best chance to score. That has been true all season.

unfortunately broncos ran Moreno into grpound and may or may not play as still on cruthces wwith bruised ankle

also many of Manning passes dropped, Bronco receivers save for Tamme just couldnt catch a hard rock, example, DT first pass of night   dropped , later  free across midle in stride with plentry of daylight and perfect throw dropped,   Decker I am getting feed up with, every week never plays through the play , just stops looks up in wonder and asks with arms out wheres my flag 

They never took the ball out of his hands.

Yeah, because I'm having trouble accepting your "fact" that the run game wasn't leading to points? Except, that line of reasoning was soundly debunked.

Enjoy your Teflon world, though.

No points in the second half until Manning started passing on the final drive. That is the fact. You have debunked nothing.

Manning was passing in the previous four drives. It wasn't working. The run was.

He ran more than he passed. Depends on how you define working and maybe this is where we disagree. The drives were stalling and not scoring. The RB fumbled as well and he had his pick. I just think they went away from their identity. If you are going to live or die then die by the pass as that what got them to 9-1 and a historic season offensively. I am not suggesting no run at all but more pass then run especially when the Pats stormed back to take the lead early in the fourth. I mean by the end they ran Moreno into the ground and now he is in question for their next biggest game vs KC this weekend. BTW - that was a great game by Moreno who also can fumble at times. Given every other RB in the game fumbled, he did a great job holding on to it all night long.

Peyton and Belichick wold have won at least 5 superbowls together. When Brady won those superbowls he wasn't considered an elite QB. Now he wasn't a game manager like Dilfer but he was more Joe Flacco,  in the 13-15 QB  range before he won the superbowl. Manning has been Elite since 2000 and had to carry the Colts a a lot more then Brady did.

I think its pretty outlandish to suggest that anyone would have won a RECORD 5 super bowls in some other situation.  That is purely speculation based on your bias opinion, there are no facts or evidence you can use to support such a statement other than your own personal opinion.

Secondly, the reason Manning had to "carry" his team was because thats exactly how the Colts front office built their franchise within the salary cap.  They surrounded Manning with a plethora of weapons and invested a majority of their top draft picks into the offensive side of the ball, leaving the defense lacking and inept in certain areas.  

That strategy has proven to be a poor one, and Brady has experienced it first hand from 2007 onward, having a horrible defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed which forced him to have to constantly produce and score a lot of points to stay in games.

Its also absurd to suggest that Manning would have done better than Brady because it completely ignores all of Brady's epic games, comebacks and situations that he lead them through.  You can't just sit back and say "Oh well Manning would have done that even better than him."  Thats like saying player X could have won as many titles as Jordan and would have made just as many big time game winning shots as he did if they were in that situation.  Saying it and doing it are 2 entirely different things, and given Manning's performance in some big playoff games, its certainly not fair to suggest that he would have outperformed Brady in high pressure situations where Brady excelled and made huge plays and limited turnovers.

You think Manning would have won 5 Super Bowls on the Patriots, well I think Brady would have won 6 Super Bowls with that Colts offense in the early and mid 2000's.  Sound fair?

I think its pretty outlandish to suggest that anyone would have won a RECORD 5 super bowls in some other situation. That is purely speculation based on your bias opinion, there are no facts or evidence you can use to support such a statement other than your own personal opinion.

Secondly, the reason Manning had to "carry" his team was because thats exactly how the Colts front office built their franchise within the salary cap. They surrounded Manning with a plethora of weapons and invested a majority of their top draft picks into the offensive side of the ball, leaving the defense lacking and inept in certain areas.

That strategy has proven to be a poor one, and Brady has experienced it first hand from 2007 onward, having a horrible defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed which forced him to have to constantly produce and score a lot of points to stay in games.

Its also absurd to suggest that Manning would have done better than Brady because it completely ignores all of Brady's epic games, comebacks and situations that he lead them through. You can't just sit back and say "Oh well Manning would have done that even better than him." Thats like saying player X could have won as many titles as Jordan and would have made just as many big time game winning shots as he did if they were in that situation. Saying it and doing it are 2 entirely different things, and given Manning's performance in some big playoff games, its certainly not fair to suggest that he would have outperformed Brady in high pressure situations where Brady excelled and made huge plays and limited turnovers.

You think Manning would have won 5 Super Bowls on the Patriots, well I think Brady would have won 6 Super Bowls with that Colts offense in the early and mid 2000's. Sound fair?

Brady with Dungy and Jim Caldwell, wish I could have seen that.

To be fair and put this into context, Rodney Harrison, for whatever reason, has an axe to grind with Tom Brady, and takes subtle and not-so-subtle shots at him as a commentator whenever he can. He made the skirt comment, he was trolling last year with "Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the league," then after Peyton started out hot he switches his opinion to Peyton earlier this year, and now he's back to admitting Brady is better after the game the other night.

Rodney Harrison really has no credibility.

Sorry but we won our Superbowl runs in the cold and the snow and the frigid cold. If Peyton was our QB, we would be ringless.

interesting article and quote  . . . hmm . . . maybe if the pats had [insert name of any 2-3 Probowl safety of the 2000s] the pats would have easily had 5 SBs and a 19-0 season to boot . . . I can play too at this game . . . wasn't Harrison the guy that dropped an interception in Eli's last drive in SB 42, was caught chasing the giant TE earlier in the qtr and the other player in the Tyree catch, although Samuel let Tyree go . . .

I like Harrison but he is part of the media and his comments are worth what they are worth . . . the man is just trying to attention with his comments . . . not so sure if we had Tom Brady we would "easily" have won 3 rings if we had to do it all over again . . . other than the 2004 team, which I think we were not going to be denied, the 2003 team was strong but a play or two from being knocked out although we were a strong team, and the 2001 team, was one play away from being one and done . . . on the other side of the coin the 2006 team, 2007 team and 2011 team were a play or so from winning rings and the later two had not too much to do with the "missing" defense Harrison claims is needed . . . our D was weak in 2011 and not the greatest in 2007 . . .  but yet hit nibbs help get us with in a play of a ring . . .

bottom line we are a few bounces from being SB champs in 01, 03, 04 as we are in 04, 07, 11, with the latter two not too much to do with the D . . . point being Brady help get us to the SB window 6 times waiting for a coin flip and as luck would have it we have won 50% of them . . .

Maybe Manning would of won a ring or two or three, but I am not sold that it would of been easy had he had the D Brady had . . . indeed to win a SB you have to win at least 3 games . .. in around that time period in question the colts scored 0 points ('02 jets) and 3 points ('04 pats) in the playoffs . . . both games in Foxboro playoff conditions, that is;, below freezing . . . (to save you the time the KC game was 40 degrees) . . .

we really don't know what history would of given us if Manning was on the pats . . . but given that in Foxboro playoff conditions Manning and his offense only put up 3 points in two games, it tough for me to come to a conclusion that it would of been easy for the pats to win SBs when we have scoring like that on offense . . .

and given Brady's history post 2004, getting his the pats to the SB window three more times, I think people give him less credit than he deserves, and/or put too much value in the D of the earlier part of the decade . . . indeed had those bounce go the way later in the decade, there is no championship D, no AV legacy and Brady with three rings 04, 07, 11; the latter two with the O leading the way and we are not even having this discussion about our D from the earlier part of the decade . . .

my two cents . . . also it doesn't hurt that the Harrison's comments pump up his own tires . . .

I hate these "what if" and bizarro universe arguments because they're always made by Peyton apologists and Brady haters.

It's based on absolutely nothing but fantasy in the truest sense of the word.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that Peyton Manning would have played any better in cold weather games or big pressure games in New England as he did in Indianapolis.

Why not just say Dan Fouts would of been the greatest ever if he played for this team, or that team, and put him as #1 of all time because of it?

Players are what they are and did what they did, period.

Brady didn't lose a 17 pt lead till that 4th and 2 game either, there's a first for everything.

I'm sure Peyton would have beaten the Rams and Eagles with that Pats D to back him up but I personally doubt he'd have beaten the Panthers. That to me is the best Brady performance in a SB, I felt it was a top 10 all time one in a SB.

Brady trumps Peyton in killer instinct when the other team is down, arm strength and lesser turnovers. Just my 2 cents :)

Lets face it, if Peyton does not get it done in the next 2 years, broncos probably will move on to a QB with a better arm before Peyton's arm becomes a liability. With Favre, even at 40, he had a gun of an arm, not so with Peyton

Don't the Broncos have an opt out after this season if they want it?

If the Broncos go down in flames their first post season game, especially if they maintain the #1 seed, Denver might go for a QB in the draft and opt out to save themselves heaps of money.

Maybe not likely, but definitely a possibility.

Don't the Broncos have an opt out after this season if they want it?

If the Broncos go down in flames their first post season game, especially if they maintain the #1 seed, Denver might go for a QB in the draft and opt out to save themselves heaps of money.

Maybe not likely, but definitely a possibility.

Peyton is guaranteed $40 mil. Over next 2 years and then come the opt out clauses. He passed a physical to get that. If Peyton feels his nerves don't regenerate well for his arm strength, he may retire, at least that's what I feel

His arm strength is not the same as it was at the beginning of year either.

Peyton is guaranteed $40 mil. Over next 2 years and then come the opt out clauses. He passed a physical to get that. If Peyton feels his nerves don't regenerate well for his arm strength, he may retire, at least that's what I feel

His arm strength is not the same as it was at the beginning of year either.

I agree with this. I think there is a good possibility he retires after this season.