Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning Comparison (Through 24 Games)

BlueShoe

Add another 4th Quarter Comeback and Game Winning Drive to Andrew Luck's career numbers. Andrew's 7 total passing and rushing touchdowns in the past 2 games have moved him past Peyton Manning through 24 games for combined touchdowns. 

In just 24 games, Andrew has 17 wins, with 10 of them coming from game winning drives. 59% of Andrew's wins have come from game winning drives. That is just astonishing. 

Team Points Forced:

Andrew 571

Peyton 533

Team Points Allowed:

Andrew 542

Peyton 607

Team Wins:

Andrew 17

Peyton 9

Game Winning Drives:

Andrew 10

Peyton 5

4th Quarter Comebacks:

Andrew 7

Peyton 5

Completions:

Andrew 493

Peyton 492

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 891

Peyton 851

Passing Yards:

Andrew 6,219

Peyton 6,021

Yards Per Completion:

Andrew 12.61

Peyton 12.24

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.3%

Peyton 57.8%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 6.98

Peyton 7.08

Longest Pass:

Andrew 73

Peyton 78

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 36

Peyton 41

Interceptions:

Andrew 21

Peyton 37

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 80.9

Peyton 77.7

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 90

Peyton 32

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 438

Peyton 75

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.3

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 8

Peyton 2

Combined Passing and Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 44

Peyton 43

I, personally, want to see comparison numbers between Luck & Elway. I think they are more alike than Luck & Manning.

I agree.  Elway was an elite physical athlete.  The press on him was very similar to what you see about Luck.

That said, I am surprised that Luck and Manning's numbers are so similar right now.

I agree.  Elway was an elite physical athlete.  The press on him was very similar to what you see about Luck.

That said, I am surprised that Luck and Manning's numbers are so similar right now.

You could honestly say that Elway was the beginning of the new generation of physically gifted QBs.

Their numbers are very similar. It goes to show that Peyton had more of a uphill battle than Luck and Peyton wasn't as clutch and as fast as Luck.

I just don't like comparing these 2 guys because Peyton and Andrew play the position differently. I like putting Luck & Elway together because they seem so alike with the Stanford connection, #1 overall selection by Colts, the clutch gene that both possess, and the athleticism.

Are we going to do this for the rest of Luck's career. 

"The Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning Comparison (Through first 124 games)"

Seriously.  Im done with this Manning Luck comparison, like maybe ok for his first season...but cmon...we're beyond that.  Theres no point, Manning isnt here anymore.  i mean did they do this for Favre/Rodgers  Montana/Young  etc. etc?

I know it seems to be the flashy thing to do now but it is really old to me.  I get sick of it when the commentators always have to mention Manning when Luck does something great.  Thats something Manning would do, or he looked just like Manning there.  No he freaking didnt!!! He looked like Andrew Luck!!

We gotta stop living in the past and trying to make Luck fill some void in your life that was created when Manning left.  Let the kid create his own legacy.

Seriously. Im done with this Manning Luck comparison, like maybe ok for his first season...but cmon...we're beyond that. Theres no point, Manning isnt here anymore. i mean did they do this for Favre/Rodgers Montana/Young etc. etc?

I know it seems to be the flashy thing to do now but it is really old to me. I get sick of it when the commentators always have to mention Manning when Luck does something great. Thats something Manning would do, or he looked just like Manning there. No he freaking didnt!!! He looked like Andrew Luck!!

We gotta stop living in the past and trying to make Luck fill some void in your life that was created when Manning left. Let the kid create his own legacy.

If i were you i wouldn't come into a thread titled "The Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning Comparison" Problem solved

Seriously. Im done with this Manning Luck comparison, like maybe ok for his first season...but cmon...we're beyond that. Theres no point, Manning isnt here anymore. i mean did they do this for Favre/Rodgers Montana/Young etc. etc?

I know it seems to be the flashy thing to do now but it is really old to me. I get sick of it when the commentators always have to mention Manning when Luck does something great. Thats something Manning would do, or he looked just like Manning there. No he freaking didnt!!! He looked like Andrew Luck!!

We gotta stop living in the past and trying to make Luck fill some void in your life that was created when Manning left. Let the kid create his own legacy.

As Ive stated before, this is a nice sentiment but ultimately flawed and useless. The human brain comprehends and learns things by comparing and contrasting to known quantities. The closer the comparison, the more is learned. Andrew Luck is still a new quantity, and will be compared to those who came before him to provide context for his own actions.

And yes, Steve Young had to live with the Montana comparisons for basically his entire career.

As Ive stated before, this is a nice sentiment but ultimately flawed and useless. The human brain comprehends and learns things by comparing and contrasting to known quantities. The closer the comparison, the more is learned. Andrew Luck is still a new quantity, and will be compared to those who came before him to provide context for his own actions.

And yes, Steve Young had to live with the Montana comparisons for basically his entire career.

The human brain learns things in many different ways.  one of which is contrasting known quantities.  However, what knowledge that is in any way advantageous is learned through this.  That Luck is comparable to Manning.  Ok, pretty sure we already knew that when he was winning games for us last year.  I dont care about the numbers for him, i care about the wins for the team.  I know young had comparisons but goodness, i dont remember it so in the weeds as it is with this.  And later on in his career especially after his first SB, i dont remember a whole lot of comparisons. 

Seriously.  Im done with this Manning Luck comparison, like maybe ok for his first season...but cmon...we're beyond that.  Theres no point, Manning isnt here anymore.  i mean did they do this for Favre/Rodgers  Montana/Young  etc. etc?

I know it seems to be the flashy thing to do now but it is really old to me.  I get sick of it when the commentators always have to mention Manning when Luck does something great.  Thats something Manning would do, or he looked just like Manning there.  No he freaking didnt!!! He looked like Andrew Luck!!

We gotta stop living in the past and trying to make Luck fill some void in your life that was created when Manning left.  Let the kid create his own legacy.

** NEWSFLASH **

No one is making you read IT!

If i were you i wouldn't come into a thread titled "The Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning Comparison" Problem solved

No way man!!! I mean I thought that personally myself if I entered this thread I was going to see some girls in bikinis and such...so cut the guy a break man it's obviously clear that he accidently clicked on this thread and then typed a few sentences in response to accidently reading the two pages of comparisons...simple mistake man :yahoo:

You could honestly say that Elway was the beginning of the new generation of physically gifted QBs. Their numbers are very similar. It goes to show that Peyton had more of a uphill battle than Luck and Peyton wasn't as clutch and as fast as Luck. I just don't like comparing these 2 guys because Peyton and Andrew play the position differently. I like putting Luck & Elway together because they seem so alike with the Stanford connection, #1 overall selection by Colts, the clutch gene that both possess, and the athleticism.

Manning is the all time leader in comebacks and game winning drives. I'd say clutch is a trait Manning and Luck share.

Don't forget that Elway was known (by his haters, at least) as a bit of a big game choker until Terrell Davis came along. His legacy changed in a big way those last 2 seasons.

Ultimately, Andrew Luck can only separate himself in the playoffs. Whether he is 10-5 in the playoffs or 8-7, it won't matter. We have seen all these comeback drives and game winning drives from Peyton.

Irsay has laid down the "judged only by SB rings" seeds of expectation thus diminishing the journey to the playoffs that we are currently enjoying, IMO. I just wish he would be like Andrew, let the talking be done on the field. The last thing I want is Irsay running his mouth before a playoff game which I deep down dread.

Rodgers is 1-0 and Favre is 1-1, if SB rings are all that matter to go along with regular season accomplishments.

Right now, Luck is 0-0 and Peyton is 1-1. If you are Irsay and some fans, that is all that matters.

Ultimately, Andrew Luck can only separate himself in the playoffs. Whether he is 10-5 in the playoffs or 8-7, it won't matter. We have seen all these comeback drives and game winning drives from Peyton.

Irsay has laid down the "judged only by SB rings" seeds of expectation thus diminishing the journey to the playoffs that we are currently enjoying, IMO. I just wish he would be like Andrew, let the talking be done on the field. The last thing I want is Irsay running his mouth before a playoff game which I deep down dread.

Rodgers is 1-0 and Favre is 1-1, if SB rings are all that matter to go along with regular season accomplishments.

Right now, Luck is 0-0 and Peyton is 1-1. If you are Irsay and some fans, that is all that matters.

Good post. Legacies are made in the post-season but for sure you don't want to miss the ride that you got there.

** NEWSFLASH **

No one is making you read IT!

**NEWSFLASH**

I didnt read it.  I happen to be scrolling through the topic titles and saw it.  Did you know that you can reply without reading a topic.  I dont need to read it, to know i dont like it.

**NEWSFLASH**

I didnt read it.  I happen to be scrolling through the topic titles and saw it.  Did you know that you can reply without reading a topic.  I dont need to read it, to know i dont like it.

I can tell that you did not read it, because you complained that wins and losses were the only thing that mattered. Clearly wins are included. :)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Oh come on...all he is doing is comparing Luck vs. Manning stats.  What is wrong with that?  He's not saying one is better, it's just stats.  It's a shame that someone goes to the trouble of putting this together and someone has to come along and shoot down the author.  Shame on you.

Don't click threads that annoy you?

Oh come on...all he is doing is comparing Luck vs. Manning stats.  What is wrong with that?  He's not saying one is better, it's just stats.  It's a shame that someone goes to the trouble of putting this together and someone has to come along and shoot down the author.  Shame on you.

Idk, it just irks me.  Just seems like everytime Luck is compared to Manning and saying how Luck is like Manning, it takes away from what Luck is doing.  Just like that last game.  Chris Collinsworth just WOULD....NOT....Shut up about Reggie Wayne.  Oh reggie wayne would done this, reggie wayne woulda done that, this offense needs reggie wayne, this offense wouldnt look so bad with reggie wayne, that win would have been much easier with reggie wayne.  Dear Lord we know Reggie Wayne is a great player and contributor, but jeez give the guys on the field some credit. 

Don't click threads that annoy you?

Ok so let me get this right...Dont voice a dissenting opinion on this forum...Got it.  Noone compliment Whalen on a whalen bash thread, no one bash whalen on a compliment thread.  And the same for TRich, and Brown, and Da'Rick Rogers.  Every waiver thats available needs 2 threads a piece, one for all those people that want it, and one for all those people that dont.  Everyone can have their own happy little bubble they can live in that noone will bother them in.  :yeahright:

Ok so let me get this right...Dont voice a dissenting opinion on this forum...Got it. Noone compliment Whalen on a whalen bash thread, no one bash whalen on a compliment thread. And the same for TRich, and Brown, and Da'Rick Rogers. Every waiver thats available needs 2 threads a piece, one for all those people that want it, and one for all those people that dont. Everyone can have their own happy little bubble they can live in that noone will bother them in. :yeahright:

You clicked it knowing the topic annoyed you. I merely offered the suggestion that if you identify an annoying topic, it's probably best for your own sanity, if you don't click it. If you're a glutton for things that annoy you, then I get it.

Please quote where I said don't voice your opinion. Dissenting or otherwise.

You clicked it knowing the topic annoyed you. I merely offered the suggestion that if you identify an annoying topic, it's probably best for your own sanity, if you don't click it. If you're a glutton for things that annoy you, then I get it.

Please quote where I said don't voice your opinion. Dissenting or otherwise.

Thats kind of the point of clicking on a thread.  I read the topic title and instantly had an opinion, in order to post my opinion, i have to click on it.  And yes i am a glutton.  When people or things annoy me, especially when they are wrong (not necessarily this case), i REAAALLLY have to bite on my knuckle hard to not voice my opinion.  Its a problem and i know it, but i also have no desire to control it.  I anger people sometimes. 

Ok so let me get this right...Dont voice a dissenting opinion on this forum...Got it.  Noone compliment Whalen on a whalen bash thread, no one bash whalen on a compliment thread.  And the same for TRich, and Brown, and Da'Rick Rogers.  Every waiver thats available needs 2 threads a piece, one for all those people that want it, and one for all those people that dont.  Everyone can have their own happy little bubble they can live in that noone will bother them in.  :yeahright:

I am not knocking you for your opinion. You are entitled to have an opinion that you believe. 

I like the contrast, and so do some other Colts fans. Some Colts fans do not. I tend to stay away from threads that I don't agree with, but I am also not a very aggressive person, unless I have to be.

In other words; I would not walk into a Country and Western bar or club and complain that there is not any Rap music. 

I guess it just comes down to picking the right battles. Some people see an opportunity for a battle everywhere, while others choose to steer away from them, unless they have to.

Thats kind of the point of clicking on a thread. I read the topic title and instantly had an opinion, in order to post my opinion, i have to click on it. And yes i am a glutton. When people or things annoy me, especially when they are wrong (not necessarily this case), i REAAALLLY have to bite on my knuckle hard to not voice my opinion. Its a problem and i know it, but i also have no desire to control it. I anger people sometimes.

I certainly wasn't trying to dictate how you post on here. Just offering a suggestion to remedy your annoyance lol.

I am not knocking you for your opinion. You are entitled to have an opinion that you believe. 

I like the contrast, and so do some other Colts fans. Some Colts fans do not. I tend to stay away from threads that I don't agree with, but I am also not a very aggressive person, unless I have to be.

In other words; I would not walk into a Country and Western bar or club and complain that there is not any Rap music. 

I guess it just comes down to picking the right battles. Some people see an opportunity for a battle everywhere, while others choose to steer away from them, unless they have to.

I see your point...cause i could draw a slight...idk...'knock' on me with your last sentence.  Well played sir...Well played. zzSDo.gif

**NEWSFLASH**

Ah, so you clicked on a thread, didn't read any of it, and started causing trouble?  So you're trolling, then?  That's what you're doing?  We get it, you don't have to like it.  Nobody is forcing you to like it.  But don't think so highly of yourself as to think that your opinion is correct.  We in this thread like the topic.

Manning is the all time leader in comebacks and game winning drives. I'd say clutch is a trait Manning and Luck share.

Don't forget that Elway was known (by his haters, at least) as a bit of a big game choker until Terrell Davis came along. His legacy changed in a big way those last 2 seasons.

I was referring to the stat OP gave for the for the first 24 games. I wasn't saying that Luck and Manning don't share the clutch gene, I was just saying Luck has been more clutch than Peyton early in their careers.

And Peyton was a big game choker as well until that 2006 season. 

Luck and Elway just seem more alike to me than Peyton and Luck.

Ah, so you clicked on a thread, didn't read any of it, and started causing trouble?  So you're trolling, then?  That's what you're doing?  We get it, you don't have to like it.  Nobody is forcing you to like it.  But don't think so highly of yourself as to think that your opinion is correct.  We in this thread like the topic.

wow, little late there buddy, been over this.  An opinion is and opinion.  Never said it was correct.  And so disagreeing is trolling? cool. This goes back to what i had said to House, that every topic should have 2 threads, one for those who agree and one for those who dont.  That way everyone can live in their own little bubble and always be happy. 

Add another 4th Quarter Comeback and Game Winning Drive to Andrew Luck's career numbers. Andrew's 7 total passing and rushing touchdowns in the past 2 games have moved him past Peyton Manning through 24 games for combined touchdowns. 

In just 24 games, Andrew has 17 wins, with 10 of them coming from game winning drives. 59% of Andrew's wins have come from game winning drives. That is just astonishing. 

Team Points Forced:

Andrew 571

Peyton 533

Team Points Allowed:

Andrew 542

Peyton 607

Team Wins:

Andrew 17

Peyton 9

Game Winning Drives:

Andrew 10

Peyton 5

4th Quarter Comebacks:

Andrew 7

Peyton 5

Completions:

Andrew 493

Peyton 492

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 891

Peyton 851

Passing Yards:

Andrew 6,219

Peyton 6,021

Yards Per Completion:

Andrew 12.61

Peyton 12.24

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.3%

Peyton 57.8%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 6.98

Peyton 7.08

Longest Pass:

Andrew 73

Peyton 78

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 36

Peyton 41

Interceptions:

Andrew 21

Peyton 37

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 80.9

Peyton 77.7

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 90

Peyton 32

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 438

Peyton 75

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.3

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 8

Peyton 2

Andrew 44

Peyton 43

Great post. Excellent work. 

I, personally, want to see comparison numbers between Luck & Elway. I think they are more alike than Luck & Manning.

But interesting to see a breakdown of numbers between Peyton and Andrew.

Team Points Forced:

Andrew 571

Peyton 533

Elway  457

Team Points Allowed:

Andrew 542

Peyton 607

Elway 434

Team Wins:

Andrew 17

Peyton 9

Elway  14

Game Winning Drives:

Andrew 10

Peyton 5

Elway   2

4th Quarter Comebacks:

Andrew 7

Peyton 5

Elway   3

Completions:

Andrew 493

Peyton 492

Elway   310

Passing Attempts:

Andrew 891

Peyton 851

Elway   587

Passing Yards:

Andrew 6,219

Peyton 6,021

Elway   3,920

Yards Per Completion:

Andrew 12.61

Peyton 12.24

Elway    12.65

Completion Percentage:

Andrew 55.3%

Peyton 57.8%

Elway   52.8%

Yards Per Attempt:

Andrew 6.98

Peyton 7.08

Elway   6.68

Longest Pass:

Andrew 73

Peyton 78

Elway   63

Passing Touchdowns:

Andrew 36

Peyton 41

Elway   24

Interceptions:

Andrew 21

Peyton 37

Elway   24

Quarterback Rating:

Andrew 80.9

Peyton 77.7

Elway   70.5

Rushing Attempts:

Andrew 90

Peyton 32

Elway   68

Rushing Yards:

Andrew 438

Peyton 75

Elway   317

Rushing Average:

Andrew 4.9

Peyton 2.3

Elway   4.7

Longest Run:

Andrew 19

Peyton 15

Elway   23

Rushing Touchdowns:

Andrew 8

Peyton 2

Elway   1

Andrew 44

Peyton 43

Elway   25

For what it's worth.  I will note the most interesting statistics are the "yards per" average numbers.  The total numbers will be a bit skewed because Elway didn't start every game his rookie season.  I can't be sure, and maybe one of the older guys can explain the situation, but from the stat books, it looks like the QB competition went well into the first 10 weeks, with Elway taking over the starting position permanently aroudn week 11.  His first year, like Mannings wasn't that great, but he made great strides his second season, covering a lot of statistical "outliers" established in his rookie season.