Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Speaks...

HarassedOffTheSite

what did all those teams you just mentioned have at the time of there SB's?

I don't want to go down this rat hole again but Peyton had plenty of good defenses those years and the teams that were winning the Super Bowls did not have an offense anywhere close to his. That is the whole point of this. Irsay and many fans here think the Colts teams were flawed, imbalanced, etc but all of the champ teams in the cap/FA era are flawed and imbalanced. This was the point I was making to Superman. The Pats, Steelers, Giants were predicated more on D. The Saints and Packers were predicated more on O. Impossible to build the perfect team with the cap. The Colts were dominant in the regular season and came up short in the post-season for a myraid of reasons depending on which season you want to dissect. If folks want to lay that on Polian, fine. But he was the most successful GM second only to Bill Belichick in the '00 decade.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to become acquainted with with the whole Colts defense. Hugs all around.

If we all get into a circle, hold hands, & start singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony" I'm leaving. Unless, we all get a free bottle of coke. Free stuff rocks!  :rock:

[1971 Coke a Cola TV commercial joke reference]

Can we trade Jim Irsay for Peyton Manning??? LOL It would be my dream someday if someone convinced the NFL to take the Colts away from Irsay (Like the Dodgers got taken away from their owner) and Peyton sold his Papa John's franchises and bought the Colts.......its a dream....you can't take that from me!!!

Keep dreaming. btw, wasn't the whole Dodgers thing basically over a divorce of the owner(s) which ended up effecting the teams day to day operations so Bud Selig with MLB acted in their place?

Why in God's name would Irsay ever in a million year's , try or want to insult Manning ? You've been listening to Skip to much. Go out , get a breath of fresh air and use your noggin a bit. Peyton Manning played the last 5-6 years with the worst offensive line in football , no running game, horrible special teams and no defense . He totally carried a lousy roster on his back. He was no doubt  , 100% for sure saying that he didn't want a team made up the same as the Polian model. Please don't come back with something utterly ridicuous like Manning ate all the cap space. He was a few million more than the other top QB's and as Denver is proving , there is plenty of cap room .. even with a PM. Manning is not as utterly ignorant as Fox and the others trying to twist what he said.

:atroll:  :troll:

Keep dreaming. btw, wasn't the whole Dodgers thing basically over a divorce of the owner(s) which ended up effecting the teams day to day operations so Bud Selig with MLB acted in their place?

It was...with the divorce the owners financial situation was totally undermined and it definately was affecting the organization. Oh I know it will never happen...it wasn't a serious comment...just listening to Peyton and having his football knowledge and his class would be such a huge upgrade over Irsay. lol

I was really hoping this title would say "Manning speaks.... but says nothing" that's basically what happened here. haha

Anyways, Manning knows Indy loves him and Indy knows Peyton loves us. I'll be at the game and I'll cheer when Manning is introduced & when there is a tribute for him, but when it comes to the play on the field I'll be rooting like crazy hoping he makes ever mistake possible. 

Really hope this week goes by fast and we have a good game against two great teams. Hopefully with a Colts W :)

Is Irsay wrong? No

Did he insult Manning? No

Did he say it the wrong way? Absolutely yes.

Irsay needs someone to monitor what he says. A PR rep or something. Irsay speaks from the heart, and most of the time his head doesn't follow along. He means good, but he doesn't always say the right way.

"We should have been able to give Peyton and ourselves more than this one ring. We didn't live up to our potential, and we don't want to go through that again."

Sounds a lot better, and a PR rep can do that for Jim. However, somethings are just better left unsaid.

I don't want to go down this rat hole again but Peyton had plenty of good defenses those years and the teams that were winning the Super Bowls did not have an offense anywhere close to his. That is the whole point of this. Irsay and many fans here think the Colts teams were flawed, imbalanced, etc but all of the champ teams in the cap/FA era are flawed and imbalanced. This was the point I was making to Superman. The Pats, Steelers, Giants were predicated more on D. The Saints and Packers were predicated more on O. Impossible to build the perfect team with the cap. The Colts were dominant in the regular season and came up short in the post-season for a myraid of reasons depending on which season you want to dissect. If folks want to lay that on Polian, fine. But he was the most successful GM second only to Bill Belichick in the '00 decade.

Defensive Rankings since Peyton Manning joined the Colts according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

1998: 29th

1999: 17th

2000: 15th

2001: 31st

2002: 7th

2003: 20th

2004: 29th

2005: 2nd

2006: 23rd

2007: 1st

2008: 7th

2009: 8th

2010: 23rd

5 of his 13 seasons the defense was in the top half.  and went to the superbowl on two of those.  Take it as neither a dispute nor a confirmation.

Defensive Rankings since Peyton Manning joined the Colts according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

1998: 29th

1999: 17th

2000: 15th

2001: 31st

2002: 7th

2003: 20th

2004: 29th

2005: 2nd

2006: 23rd

2007: 1st

2008: 7th

2009: 8th

2010: 23rd

5 of his 13 seasons the defense was in the top half.  and went to the superbowl on two of those.  Take it as neither a dispute nor a confirmation.

Actually in 2006 his defense was ranked 23rd but played well in the playoffs which was similar to what happened to Eli and the Giants in 2011.

Is Irsay wrong? No

Did he insult Manning? No

Did he say it the wrong way? Absolutely yes.

Irsay needs someone to monitor what he says. A PR rep or something. Irsay speaks from the heart, and most of the time his head doesn't follow along. He means good, but he doesn't always say the right way.

"We should have been able to give Peyton and ourselves more than this one ring. We didn't live up to our potential, and we don't want to go through that again."

Sounds a lot better, and a PR rep can do that for Jim. However, somethings are just better left unsaid.

"Wow so Irsay is now calling Peyton a failure for not living up to his potential. What a dumb thing to say. Why disrespect Peyton like that? Doesn't he realize what Peyton meant to the Colts?"

No winning.

Why I said some things are just better unsaid.

Obviously if he says nothing we aren't going through this desperate ratings spike, but even if he comes out now to clarify. Those who didn't inform themselves the first time around, will already be dug into their positions.

Why I said some things are just better unsaid.

Short of saying "Peyton is the best thing since sliced bread", Anything Irsay said would be construed to create controversy.

But what I love the most, is all of a sudden when someone OUTSIDE of the media takes a PERCIEVED shot at Peyton's playoff record, they all rush to his defense. Now if they want to take the shot its a different story. Just don't let anyone else though.

Short of saying "Peyton is the best thing since sliced bread", Anything Irsay said would be construed to create controversy.

But what I love the most, is all of a sudden when someone OUTSIDE of the media takes a PERCIEVED shot at Peyton's playoff record, they all rush to his defense. Now if they want to take the shot its a different story. Just don't let anyone else though.

Bingo. The media, rival fans, have all taken shots at Manning. I think that is to be expected as no athlete is above reproach or criticism but when his own owner takes shots at him that is deplorable.

--- “I’ve worked hard in this new chapter of my football career. ... It has been extremely difficult. ... I’ve learned that in life you need to be at peace with other people’s decisions that affect you that you have no control over. ... When you’re out of a job, you have to find a new job.”

http://www.indystar.com/article/20131016/SPORTS03/310160047/1058/SPORTS03?nclick_check=1

That is all I could find. The actual video is not up on Broncos.com yet but this is the quote I was talking about. I always thought it was BOTH and now it sounds like it was not.

I heard that too. It did feel like an answer to the question was there an agreement?

But, I watched the press conference when he left and there were tears on both sides

I think Manning was pretty clear that he had hoped to stay in Indy.  Of course he did.  But I do think it was more than one persons decision.  There were compelling reasons for the decision.  So I kind of raised an eyebrow at the implication that it was just a random decision.

You know?

What is going on right now from both sides........I don't know..........there's love but there's also some smack talk feel to it

I guess that's to be expected considering the circumstance.

Bingo. The media, rival fans, have all taken shots at Manning. I think that is to be expected as no athlete is above reproach or criticism but when his own owner takes shots at him that is deplorable.

When did the owner of the Broncos take a shot at Manning?  If you are referring to Irsay's comments again, you are wrong again. Nothing Irsay said was a shot at Manning and only a hater or fool would read those comments and think he did.

When did the owner of the Broncos take a shot at Manning? If you are referring to Irsay's comments again, you are wrong again. Nothing Irsay said was a shot at Manning and only a hater or fool would read those comments and think he did.

The latter.

Dogs drool, Cats RULE! 

No way!! Althoguh, my family did have a cat that acted like a dog once, and it was a pretty awesome cat.  Except its' feline insticts would take over whenver it wanted to play with the dogs (which it outweighed by a good 20 pounds), and it would perch up on the couch and when an unsuspecting dog walked by....BONZAII!!! lol frickin hilarious.