Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck can't throw a good deep ball

Big Red

I hope some of Andrew's nitpickers are still watching.  A couple of beauties yesterday.  Clearly he can make all the throws.  Will there be some mistakes along the way?  Sure.  Nobody is perfect! 

Luck to Hilton deep... get used to it.

We, as Colts fans, are quite spoiled.  We got to watch Peyton tear up the NFL for 12 years and I'm sure most are like me and remember the last years a lot more than the early years.  We expect perfection from our QB because we got it most of the time from Manning.  Luck has had some issues with his deep ball (mainly from a lack of time IMO, but he's missed a few too) as well as some other typical young QB issues of panicking too quickly when there's pressure and making some throws that he shouldn't make (an issue that Manning has had his whole career as well).  What's amazing to me is that even with my outrageous expectations for quarterback play because of what I had the pleasure of witnessing with Peyton year in and year out, Luck still looks really good.  Is he at Peyton's level currently?  Of course not, no other QB in the league is at that level right now.  He is better than a majority of other starting QBs and the arrow only points up.  Going to be another fun ride!

There will always be the guys who say, "Peyton could have done it better", which may be true. The facts are that Andrew is now OUR qb and will be for a long time, so either get behind Andrew or you will drive yourself crazy with the what if's. Im not saying that you cant complain or point out mistakes made by Andrew, just stop with all the comparisons between the two.I cannot believe that we are 4-1 and are still talking about Manning or Lucks faults, its crazy! Enjoy the season, please.

Cowboy fan here, but been a fan of Luck's for awhile. I take some heat for it on the Cowboys Forum. Anyway i was curious were there any Colts fans who thought Luck might be a bust, or wanted RG3 instead before that draft day took place?

I salute your Owner/GM/HC for not going after flash in RG3, Jerry would of made a mistake if we had that #1 pick.

I don't want to jinx anything, but its pretty clear that the Colts will be winning a SB soon enough 1-3 years, hopefully sooner rather than later. Enjoy it cause if you had Jerry running the show he would even mess up Luck's career.

Big Red says- 

"Luck can't throw a good deep ball"

Doggone right!  did you see that throw to TY?  Sure it got a TD, but... IF Luck could throw a decent deep ball, like two and a half more inches over the left shoulder, TY might not have had to sidestep a defender nor tippy toe down the sideline!!  A. Iverson says "Practice Moar!"

;)

/sarcasm switch off...

Cowboy fan here, but been a fan of Luck's for awhile. I take some heat for it on the Cowboys Forum. Anyway i was curious were there any Colts fans who thought Luck might be a bust, or wanted RG3 instead before that draft day took place?

I salute your Owner/GM/HC for not going after flash in RG3, Jerry would of made a mistake if we had that #1 pick.

I don't want to jinx anything, but its pretty clear that the Colts will be winning a SB soon enough 1-3 years, hopefully sooner rather than later. Enjoy it cause if you had Jerry running the show he would even mess up Luck's career.

I don't think anyone thought Luck would be a bust. OTOH, we did have some who preferred RGIII over Luck.  Everyone here did feel they should be 1 & 2, but the order was up for debate.  There was speculation that Polian would have selected RGIII if he had not been fired and Irsay wanted Luck.  Who knows?  I think it is safe we would have embraced fully either one.  But we got Luck and we are all (for the most part) very happy with the selection.

People had a huge resentment around here for Luck, because we let Peyton go to get him.

Every mistake his rookie season was under a microscope. If he overthrew a WR. You can bet there was a thread about that one throw.

Much better now though people still get a little panicy if he looks less than perfect for more than 5 minutes lol.

I dont think the debate is he could not throw a good deep ball, I think the debate is how consistent he is with them and that still is not very consistent right now, But as we saw yesterday he can throw them well and will only get better

People had a huge resentment around here for Luck, because we let Peyton go to get him.

Every mistake his rookie season was under a microscope. If he overthrew a WR. You can bet there was a thread about that one throw.

Much better now though people still get a little panicy if he looks less than perfect for more than 5 minutes lol.

Every Colt fan should count their blessings with Luck. Its only a matter of time till you win a SB. You all have something to look forward to whether its this year, or next, or the one after, and so on. In Dallas we have a QB who can put up numbers, but something awful rears its ugly head when pressure arrives. Its a on going nightmare with no end in sight. Wish there was a Luck in every other draft instead of having to wait 10 to 20 years for one.

Every Colt fan should count their blessings with Luck. Its only a matter of time till you win a SB. You all have something to look forward to whether its this year, or next, or the one after, and so on. In Dallas we have a QB who can put up numbers, but something awful rears its ugly head when pressure arrives. Its a on going nightmare with no end in sight. Wish there was a Luck in every other draft instead of having to wait 10 to 20 years for one.

See your correct, BUT that's because you have perspective lol.

Many many Colts fans got very spoiled by Peyton. So much so that some can't appreciate Luck.

Guest TeamLoloJones

See your correct, BUT that's because you have perspective lol.

Many many Colts fans got very spoiled by Peyton. So much so that some can't appreciate Luck.

49ers fan were the same way with Young and Montana until Young won the Superbowl.  Especially when Montana beat Young head to head.

Welcome to the forum... stick around, and post often.

No one could imagine that Luck would be a bust, but if memory serves me there were a few people around who wanted Robert Griffen III. Some said he had a bigger arm. The thing is Luck had many skills that set him apart. So the choice was an easy one... and with the right coaches/players Luck will only continue to get better. Mike Shanahan will only succeed in getting RGIII broken in half. So you can take solace in the fact that the NFC East is a division that is very winnable for the Cowboys.

Even if Jerry Jones reminds me of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

Welcome to the forum... stick around, and post often.

No one could imagine that Luck would be a bust, but if memory serves me there were a few people around who wanted Robert Griffen III. Some said he had a bigger arm. The thing is Luck had many skills that set him apart. So the choice was an easy one... and with the right coaches/players Luck will only continue to get better. Mike Shanahan will only succeed in getting RGIII broken in half. So you can take solace in the fact that the NFC East is a division that is very winnable for the Cowboys.

Even if Jerry Jones reminds me of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

Thank you, unfortunately i can only post like 2 or 3 more times today due to the sign up rules.

As far as winning the NFCE, its kind of a no win situation considering that most sane people know what would happen soon after that playoff game starts. The Cowboy's can't win with Jerry's insanity and Romo's breakdowns. Jerry took Romo's only hope and destroyed it when Wade Phillips became the HC, soon after Wade's ideology spread Romo was taking vacations before a playoff game. 

I would bet everything i have that Luck wont be going on a vacation before the playoffs start.

I hope some of Andrew's nitpickers are still watching.  A couple of beauties yesterday.  Clearly he can make all the throws.  Will there be some mistakes along the way?  Sure.  Nobody is perfect! 

Luck to Hilton deep... get used to it.

LOL

You got me. I opened this thread with all intentions of blasting you. :)

I don't think anyone thought Luck would be a bust. OTOH, we did have some who preferred RGIII over Luck.  Everyone here did feel they should be 1 & 2, but the order was up for debate.  There was speculation that Polian would have selected RGIII if he had not been fired and Irsay wanted Luck.  Who knows?  I think it is safe we would have embraced fully either one.  But we got Luck and we are all (for the most part) very happy with the selection.

I don't think nearly anyone thought Luck would be a bust. He didn't have the mental makeup of a Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf. I don't think that RGIII would have been a terrible pick..I still think he will be really successful when he is healthy again. Its kinda not fair the criticisim he is getting....like Romo got yesterday. I don't think Polian wanted Luck...I think he wanted to keep things much the same and keep Peyton and that was what got him fired....and thats fair enough. Big Polian supporter but the timing for change was right. Perfect qb to move on with and the team could not have been turned over successfully with Manning likely. It was a win for everyone to start over. I was very much in the camp of seeing Peyton stay and us move that pick like the Rams did. I would have traded it to Cleveland for their whole draft last year and a first and second rounder next season. (They had two first rd picks last year) I would have let Freeney walk and tried to sign Mathis and Garcon and Tamme....let the rest go like we did. That said we probably did better by making the trade and that is why I'm not a GM. I just am too big a Peyton fan to let him go....I knew he would come back healthy when I saw his Duke tapes but I'm man enough to say we made the right choice long-term.

As for the OP. I will say can't is a horrible word...needs more work would be the word I would use...and even after yesterday I am still in the camp of that he is a work in progress on his deep passes. He is getting better...but sometimes he still lifts his back foot and the throws are a little inaccurate. Two AMAZING PERFECT throws don't make him a great deep passer...we all know its one of his few weeknesses but he has and will get better.

That 73 yd. bomb was a great throw, and a game changer at the time,

but the 29 yd. TD down the left side to TY just over the DB and insider the OB line was even better.

Showed me something that is sometimes lacking in Luck's throws... Touch!

It was as perfect a pass as I have ever seen him throw. Very impressive!

What woulda happen had Peyton not gotten surgery ... We go 10-6 first round knock out luck goes to rams or redskins we have great qb play for 3 more yrs and then we become like the other 20 teams looking for a franchise qb for 10 yrs ... 2-14 was horrific to watch but thanks for the 10 yrs of competitive football and not rebuilding football

What woulda happen had Peyton not gotten surgery ... We go 10-6 first round knock out luck goes to rams or redskins we have great qb play for 3 more yrs and then we become like the other 20 teams looking for a franchise qb for 10 yrs ... 2-14 was horrific to watch but thanks for the 10 yrs of competitive football and not rebuilding football

What if???  "If" is the largest and most demanding two letter word in the dictionary. We have been through this same old thread too many times to hash it all over again.