Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could this be Coby Fleener’s break out game?

BlueShoe

Tight Ends have had some success against the Seahawks, including Owen Daniels Sunday with his 2 touchdown performance. The Seahawks will try to drape our receivers with Sherman and Browner. Fleener has been very close to having a signature game this year and this very well could be the day.

Maybe Houston gave us a blueprint on how to play the Hawks. After all Schaub did light them up for 355 yards passing. The Hawks had to play zone in the first half against the Texans because they ran pick plays and hit the tight end early. We need to make them weak by forcing them to play zone coverage with man-to-man corners. It worked for Houston.

I can see some plays where we send TY and DHB deep to take Sherman and Browner out of the play and then use Fleener and Wayne over the middle. Those quick hitters to Wayne over the middle could work very well and even create a blown coverage.

We should have some success running the ball, checking down to our backs, and hitting them in the middle of the field. This could make them play zone, where they are not as good with defending the pass.

Breakout seems a bit strong, considering Fleener is in the midst of a great season right now.

12 catches for 166 yards and 2 TD's is nothing to sneeze at through 4 games for a TE in a run heavy offense. I suppose if you qualify breakout as game changing performance, there's certainly a potential for that, as Fleener does create some mismatches.

Breakout seems a bit strong, considering Fleener is in the midst of a great season right now.

12 catches for 166 yards and 2 TD's is nothing to sneeze at through 4 games for a TE in a run heavy offense. I suppose if you qualify breakout as game changing performance, there's certainly a potential for that, as Fleener does create some mismatches.

I am thinking more along the lines of 8-10 receptions for 100-150 yards and a few touchdowns (in one game). 

Fleener very well could be the perfect mismatch for the Hawks. 

Wow! Just 3 weeks ago most were ready to run him out of town. Calling him a bust, a wasted draft pick, couldn't block, couldn't catch, fumbles and injury prone. Just a handful said give him some time he would work out but no! I hope the ones who wrote him off would have the guts to come and admit your were wrong but I doubt it. 

Wow! Just 3 weeks ago most were ready to run him out of town. Calling him a bust, a wasted draft pick, couldn't block, couldn't catch, fumbles and injury prone. Just a handful said give him some time he would work out but no! I hope the ones who wrote him off would have the guts to come and admit your were wrong but I doubt it.

We don't need everyone who ends up being wrong about any little thing to come forward with a confession. Besides, he has hardly proven if he was worth the pick yet.

Beyond the passing numbers, I have been very impressed by Fleener's aggressiveness in run blocking.

He has really improved.  What I notice is he is using his feet much better, and gets in very good position.

I would like to see, however an ability to hold those block a little bit longer.  That should get better each week as he continues to progress!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Totally agree. Also agree he's already breaking out. I was angry at him for the poor PS play but I never lost faith. Knew he needed confidence. He's so worth the pick we chose him at. Going to be an elite-level tight end in the NFL by year's end. Love that someone already pointed out his run and downfield pass blocking. Its been elite. He was predominately responsible for Wayne's long YAC at San Fran and one of Bradshaw's long runs with multiple downfield blocks.

Totally agree. Also agree he's already breaking out. I was angry at him for the poor PS play but I never lost faith. Knew he needed confidence. He's so worth the pick we chose him at. Going to be an elite-level tight end in the NFL by year's end. Love that someone already pointed out his run and downfield pass blocking. Its been elite. He was predominately responsible for Wayne's long YAC at San Fran and one of Bradshaw's long runs with multiple downfield blocks.

I just want to add that the kid runs so smoothly when he catches and runs.

I watched Zach Ertz the other night, and he looked like an old fashioned TE running.  I know he is quicker than he showed, but to me he did not look near as fluid as Coby (not to be confused with Colby :))  I know some of the Fleener 'detractors' mentioned how much better Ertz was/is. NOT!

I will stick with Fleener and Allen until the cows come home.....and we 'ain't got not cows!!! '  How about that for some good English?  :funny:

We don't need everyone who ends up being wrong about any little thing to come forward with a confession. Besides, he has hardly proven if he was worth the pick yet.

Agreed. . .  He's shown some good promise and if he can sustain this production then he's worth the pick.  

Also, Dwayne Allen is a good player too.  It will be tough to decide who to start when he comes back.  

Breakout game?  Anything is possible.  I think he's been very good so far this season.  He didn't do much against hte 49ers, a similarly built defense, but I don't say that as a criticism against him.  We had so much success running the ball, that we were really just using the pass to set up the run.  He caught everything that was thrown at him. 

That being said, I think Fleener has to have a big game.  We have our hands full on the edges and the Hawks are more vulnerable in the middle and up the seams.  Earl Thomas is a beast, but if we can use Fleener and Hilton to put him in a bind, those two guys can have the game of their lives and it will go a long way in getting tehir defense on their heels (not to mention give our defense the rest it will need throughout this game).  Keep winning the TOP battle, and we'll win this game.

Everyone is wrong from time to time.  Fans overreact.  It's just the way it is.  But there's not much to be gained by calling people out on it other than "I told you so."  Sometimes its gratifying, sure.  But you put a target on yourself when you do it in house and end up being wrong later down the road (and you will be wrong sooner or later).  You see the same general traffic on these forums day in and day out.  So if you can take hte heat, by all means, play the game.  But lets be honest, its' way more fun to do it to the fans of other teams and just hope we win, lol.  At least then, if we lose, we can just ignore the internet for a day or two and never have to hear the backlash.

I think he will have a big game. Sherman will be shadowing Reggie.. I think we have to attack the flats and the middle of the field.. Both good areas for Fleener to put up numbers. I have been impressed since week 2, I hope he continues that trend

FleenR has been open a lot the first 4 games.
He just hasn`t been the Primary receiver that much. That means BUNDLES with our QB.

PEP will put FleenR in positions to beat the players he was drafted to beat in a way Andrew gets.
 And i am glad that Coby blocks as well as he does, which is already pretty decent.

Something our former $6.5M (Pro-Bowl TE) was a total failure at. 

Everyone is wrong from time to time.  Fans overreact.  It's just the way it is.  But there's not much to be gained by calling people out on it other than "I told you so."  Sometimes its gratifying, sure.  But you put a target on yourself when you do it in house and end up being wrong later down the road (and you will be wrong sooner or later).  You see the same general traffic on these forums day in and day out.  So if you can take hte heat, by all means, play the game.  But lets be honest, its' way more fun to do it to the fans of other teams and just hope we win, lol.  At least then, if we lose, we can just ignore the internet for a day or two and never have to hear the backlash.

I understand that but the doom and gloom attitude gets tiring to read over and over. You are one of quite a few who stays positive and makes very observant comments. Being passionate over your team is one thing but being totally negative and nit picking anything that can be thought of is something else. Way too many refuse to accept the other teams do have players who are talented and make plays against us and our players are not perfect. Most of the time it's a simple thing that I consider common knowledge just like the Fleener debate. If I am wrong I can take the heat and don't feel the need to stay away to avoid the heat. Everyone has different opinions about just about any subject but all you can do is back your opinion with web sites and facts. 

Agreed. . .  He's shown some good promise and if he can sustain this production then he's worth the pick.  

Also, Dwayne Allen is a good player too.  It will be tough to decide who to start when he comes back.  

you start allen all day long

Both. 

The two complement each other perfectly - it's a shame we'll have to wait a year to see them wreak havoc on defenses together.

I'm hoping he can be the go-to te everyone wants him to be, but I'm still not sold.

He still has a ways to go with improving his overall field awareness, blocking, and catching the ball in traffic. Although the Miami game he did show a positive step for the latter with that TD catch called back by penalty.

I disagree ... If someone feels strongly enough to post something, then they should be willing to stand up and take responsibility for it if they are proven wrong.  Especially if it is more than a single post by a casual poster.  If someone is outspoken in their opinion and debates said opinion in multiple posts then they should definitely expect to be called out on it if they turn out to be wrong.