Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian's comments on the TRich trade

chad72

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Polian got the job in INDY strictly on what he did in Buffalo. 

Also, the only reason people care what Bill thinks on ESPN or Sirus Satellite Radio is due to his connection with Peyton Manning.

the last 4 years at GM left a lot of holes answered & our defense was slowing down

I perceived Bill to be making a comparison between Richard & Addai & inferring that Addai was a better RB, which is completed unfounded & asinine IMHO. Yes, Addai was crucial in helping us win the AFC Championship game in 2006, but let's not elevate him to the level of Marshall Faulk either that's all I'm saying. 

but if we hold players to the idea of what have you done for me lately why not GMs & front office executives? I don't give them a pass or life long immunity. 

Why not pursue the GM job in NY with the Jets to prove your GM chops Bill? 

You mention Buffalo as if it was a trick used to undeservedly get a job. All people get jobs based on what they did in the past.

Polian was largely responsible for significant success in Montreal, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. He had a decades long run of success with the only downturn's involving his ego and abrasive style causing communications issues. The later makes it indeed odd that he's ended up in the media, but he got the job because of his astounding success and his ability to clearly enunciate complicated football issues in a manner that fans can understand - well most of them anyway. Suggesting that he's only there because of a connection to Peyton smacks of someone disliking him first, and clutching at straws to justify it second. I understand that his personal quirks rub some fans the wrong way too, but it's not sufficient justification for ignoring his abilities. Have any other clubs besides Buffalo made it to four SB's in a row? Did not the Colts have more wins in a decade than any team in the history of the sport? These aren't results that typical result in hatred towards a GM. If you'd like a list of Colts GMs I resent I'd be happy to provide one - starting with Jim Irsay. Polian is brilliant and fascinating.

The man is 70 years old - he isn't a slacker for not seeking another GM job. I'm quite confident that he could obtain one in with a snap of his fingers, but he's obviously had enough of the grind and age has taken it's toll. Similarly the comment "what have you done for me lately" ignores the assumption many of us have that the only reason the Colts drafting fell off was that Polian was less involved. You can blame him for arrogantly assuming that he could remake his son in his own image, but I don't understand how tailing off at age 65 negates a lifetime of accomplishments. That would be like my detesting Willy Mays because in his only seasons with my Mets he was no longer an MVP candidate. At age 40 he practically needed a walker to get out to centerfield, that doesn't mean he was no longer an all time great.

Lastly, I responded initially because you completely misinterpreted his comments - and you continue to do so in the above post. No, we don't have to agree and you don't have to like him, but it would be nice if you didn't put words in his mouth as an excuse for abusing him. He didn't say that Addai was better than Richardson, YOU did.

I love the hatred people have for those that are no longer with the Colts.

Bill Polian:  Did a lot of good things for the Colts, he helped make the Colts a powerhouse in the league for a lot of years.  But now that he's gone he's a senile old man.

Addai:  Before his injury in the Pats game (a game where he had like 150 total yards at the half) he was one pace for over 2100 yards from scrimmage, he did a great job of protecting Manning and his hard nosed running in the redzone helped the Colts win a lot of games.  But now that he's gone people act like he didn't help the team at all and that he was a wasted pick.  Addai replaced the best RB in Colts history (and one of the best RBs in the game) for a few years, was a big part of the Colts winning a SB and continued success beyond that, that is quite an impact for a player to have.

So yeah if Polian (someone who understands the game and players at a level that all of us could only dream and many could never attain) says if Richardson has that type of impact for the Colts they will have gotten the better the deal.  If he provides more, even better.

Do you realize Bill Polian didn't play in those super bowls? or offer any game planning or strategy?  He did his job in getting them the pieces to get there 4 years in a row which, by the way, they are the only team to do it.  

Easy to say that when you consider that Bill Polian during his Buffalo tenure never had Free Agency & the Reggie White trade to Green Bay in 1993. Saying that Bill did something that will never be replicated again is true, but also more that a little disingenuous & not completely accurate given how the NFL works now. Polian directly benefited from no free agency protocol in the early 90's which keep superior talent together on 1 squad much longer IMO. 

I love the hatred people have for those that are no longer with the Colts.

Bill Polian:  Did a lot of good things for the Colts, he helped make the Colts a powerhouse in the league for a lot of years.  But now that he's gone he's a senile old man.

Addai:  Before his injury in the Pats game (a game where he had like 150 total yards at the half) he was one pace for over 2100 yards from scrimmage, he did a great job of protecting Manning and his hard nosed running in the redzone helped the Colts win a lot of games.  But now that he's gone people act like he didn't help the team at all and that he was a wasted pick.  Addai replaced the best RB in Colts history (and one of the best RBs in the game) for a few years, was a big part of the Colts winning a SB and continued success beyond that, that is quite an impact for a player to have.

So yeah if Polian (someone who understands the game and players at a level that all of us could only dream and many could never attain) says if Richardson has that type of impact for the Colts they will have gotten the better the deal.  If he provides more, even better.

I don't think it's coffee you are drinking.....

That was a joke....mostly

Easy to say that when you consider that Bill Polian during his Buffalo tenure never had Free Agency & the Reggie White trade to Green Bay in 1993. Saying that Bill did something that will never be replicated again is true, but also more that a little disingenuous & not completely accurate given how the NFL works now. Polian directly benefited from no free agency protocol in the early 90's which keep superior talent together on 1 squad much longer IMO. 

I guess Polian was just lucky that he was the GM of the only team in the NFL that had the "no free agency protocol".

You mention Buffalo as if it was a trick used to undeservedly get a job. All people get jobs based on what they did in the past.

Polian was largely responsible for significant success in Montreal, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. He had a decades long run of success with the only downturn's involving his ego and abrasive style causing communications issues. The later makes it indeed odd that he's ended up in the media, but he got the job because of his astounding success and his ability to clearly enunciate complicated football issues in a manner that fans can understand - well most of them anyway. Suggesting that he's only there because of a connection to Peyton smacks of someone disliking him first, and clutching at straws to justify it second. I understand that his personal quirks rub some fans the wrong way too, but it's not sufficient justification for ignoring his abilities. Have any other clubs besides Buffalo made it to four SB's in a row? Did not the Colts have more wins in a decade than any team in the history of the sport? These aren't results that typical result in hatred towards a GM. If you'd like a list of Colts GMs I resent I'd be happy to provide one - starting with Jim Irsay. Polian is brilliant and fascinating.

The man is 70 years old - he isn't a slacker for not seeking another GM job. I'm quite confident that he could obtain one in with a snap of his fingers, but he's obviously had enough of the grind and age has taken it's toll. Similarly the comment "what have you done for me lately" ignores the assumption many of us have that the only reason the Colts drafting fell off was that Polian was less involved. You can blame him for arrogantly assuming that he could remake his son in his own image, but I don't understand how tailing off at age 65 negates a lifetime of accomplishments. That would be like my detesting Willy Mays because in his only seasons with my Mets he was no longer an MVP candidate. At age 40 he practically needed a walker to get out to centerfield, that doesn't mean he was no longer an all time great.

Lastly, I responded initially because you completely misinterpreted his comments - and you continue to do so in the above post. No, we don't have to agree and you don't have to like him, but it would be nice if you didn't put words in his mouth as an excuse for abusing him. He didn't say that Addai was better than Richardson, YOU did.

My, my my...Where do I begin? Did I ever say that Bill didn't deserve his job in Buffalo? Nope. 

These were my exact works after I listened to the entire Bill Polian interview on Mike & Mike courtesy of Chad72's link: "I perceived Bill to be making a comparison between Richard & Addai & inferring that Addai was a better RB, which is completed unfounded & asinine IMHO. Yes, Addai was crucial in helping us win the AFC Championship game in 2006, but let's not elevate him to the level of Marshall Faulk either that's all I'm saying. " How are my own opinions of what I heard directly taken out of context? They are my own beliefs. I don't to qualify them to you or anybody else for that matter. 

Again did I mandate that Bill take the NY Jets GM job? No, but it's really easy to go to the media & scrutinize what every other NFL team is doing right or wrong vs proving that Jim Irsay was wrong in letting you go & going to another franchise in the AFC to confirm & validate to the rest of the league that Bill still has what it takes to turn a lackluster team around.  I don't care how old Bill is. Why is that relevant? What like a person 70 years old is supposed to retire, do nothing, & die? 

Once again MAC. You are making many unfounded assumptions that you are accusing me of. "You can blame him for arrogantly assuming that he could remake his son in his own image, but I don't understand how tailing off at age 65 negates a lifetime of accomplishments. That would be like my detesting Willy Mays because in his only seasons with my Mets he was no longer an MVP candidate. At age 40 he practically needed a walker to get out to centerfield, that doesn't mean he was no longer an all time great." For starters, let's stay with football analogies please. Baseball is not relevant to an NFL discussion. Also, Bill wasn't trying to propetuate his own image MAC. It was nepotism plain & simple. Promoting his son as GM was unwarranted largely because his son lacked the experience to draft & elevate players on the same level as his father did. 

"He didn't say that Addai was better than Richardson, YOU did." Okay, perhaps but would you do me the honor of telling me what the Addai reference in the same sentence as Richardson was meant to illustrate if not a direct comparison then? I'm all ears...enlighten me..

"He didn't say that Addai was better than Richardson, YOU did." Okay, perhaps but would you do me the honor of telling me what the Addai reference in the same sentence as Richardson was meant to illustrate if not a direct comparison then? I'm all ears...enlighten me..

Got you - you're irritated that I disagreed with you. I doubt that you honestly don't understand that people old enough to be on social security are typically starting to physically decline, and I doubt that you honestly don't see the relevance of my sports analogy simply because it's a different sport. I said black, you said white. I really don't see the benefit of saying black a second time. So how about I just address the last paragraph which is the crux of the matter in the first place.

As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, the context was - to paraphrase:

"if Richardson proves to be as effective for the Colts as Addai was then it's a good trade".

He didn't NOT state or imply that Addai was better or worse, he simply used Addai as a baseline for a level of future achievement that would justify the Colts having given up a first round pick. If you don't like Addai you could consider that to be setting a low bar. If you liked Addai you could consider that to be setting a high bar. Either way, he did NOT compare them in the manor you imply, nor use the opportunity to further his ego or to defend his time with the Colts in the manor that many imply, nor criticize the Colts regime that followed him. He was just giving his opinion on the trade.

I was under the impression that he was also complimentary of Richardson and said he would be a good fit for the Colts offense. All in all it was a pretty innocuous series of comments. Yours were not.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I want to throw this out.

Doesn't mean much cause a lot of people hate the Draft Value Chart, but lets look at this trade using it.

Hypothetically if this trade happened on draft day, the price tag the Colts would have had to pay would be dramatically different.

The #3 pick is worth 2,200 points. Pick 20 is 850. Pick 52 is 380.

It would have taken at least two 1st rounder & a 2nd rounder to aquire that pick. We might have been forced to add a little cherry on top too had it been a draft day trade.

We waited 1 season & look at the difference in what we had to give up. That great value.

And look I get it people don't want a 1st rounder used on RBs. My responce to that is TEs touch the ball even less & they too could be picked later & found (tony Gonzales/gates weren't 1st. Teams are still picking TEs in the first so why is it such a big deal to spend a 1st on a player who will have more of an impact on the offense than a TE?

I guess Polian was just lucky that he was the GM of the only team in the NFL that had the "no free agency protocol".

Tell me coffeedrinker, do you see any team today going to 4 consecutive SBs with free agency firmly in place now? I don't. Does that minimize Polian's achievements in this league? No, but Bill did have an advantage that no longer exists. Facts are facts. 

Exactly gentlemen! What in the hades is Bill talking about? Is he saying that Joseph Addai was a game changer? That he literally pushed blockers out of the way like Trent will? Huh? That is delusional & hilarious! I need to see that Mike & Mike interview. I'll be right back after some internet searching...

Addai was a different type of runner. To compare TR and Addai is apples and oranges. Addai was very good at doing what was expected of him. He blocked as good as anyone and caught the ball out of the backfield as well also. The super bowl brought his best out also . Not only did he run for 77 yards he lead the team in catches with 10 catches for 66 yards. Maybe Bill was trying to defend some of his draft picks after taking a beating from the fan base over his last few years?  :dunno:  :peek:

Got you - you're irritated that I disagreed with you. I doubt that you honestly don't understand that people old enough to be on social security are typically starting to physically decline, and I doubt that you honestly don't see the relevance of my sports analogy simply because it's a different sport. I said black, you said white. I really don't see the benefit of saying black a second time. So how about I just address the last paragraph which is the crux of the matter in the first place.

As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, the context was - to paraphrase:

"if Richardson proves to be as effective for the Colts as Addai was then it's a good trade".

He didn't NOT state or imply that Addai was better or worse, he simply used Addai as a baseline for a level of future achievement that would justify the Colts having given up a first round pick. If you don't like Addai you could consider that to be setting a low bar. If you liked Addai you could consider that to be setting a high bar. Either way, he did NOT compare them in the manor you imply, nor use the opportunity to further his ego or to defend his time with the Colts in the manor that many imply, nor criticize the Colts regime that followed him. He was just giving his opinion on the trade.

I was under the impression that he was also complimentary of Richardson and said he would be a good fit for the Colts offense. All in all it was a pretty innocuous series of comments. Yours were not.

How can people ascertain my emotional state online through arbitrary words? I find that fascinating...

"if Richardson proves to be as effective for the Colts as Addai was then it's a good trade". Okay, thank you for the reference point MAC. That sentence boils down to how you interpret what the definition of "effective" is. Does effective mean injure free & always on the field? Does effective mean a Playoff berth? Does effective mean winning the time of possession battle? Does effective mean getting the AFC Championship game? 

Addai hasn't been on a roster in quite some time & Bill using him as a reference point for our current roster at the running back position is like trying to extrapolate the success of the 2013 season based on drafts done 5 years ago not a recipe for meaningful projections in my book. 

Football is a completely different sport from baseball with violent brutality & vicious concussions. Plus, baseball players get guaranteed contracts vs signing bonuses. I see no link between baseball & football at all. Baseball is all about a team pitching rotation for World Series contention meaning that shoulder, wrist, & arm injuries are more prevalent. Football is all about torn ACLs, hyper extended knees, & total knee construction. 

BTW: Both my father & mother live on Social Security & I helped them file for benefits so I am well versed in how the SSA works thank you very much. No MAC that last sentence was typed in complete calmness & tranquility just so you are fully aware of that. ;)   

Love when guys call him a 4.3 guy when it was a 4.39....compared to Trent's 4.45 at 20 pounds heavier

Tren Richardson did not run a 4.4. The only reason people keep saying it is because ESPn reported it after his pro day. mJD was timed at the combine. Trent was hand timed and the consensus was he ran about a 4.6. He does not play like a 4.4 guy. MJD has outrun many in his career. Hr clearly has homerun speed.

4.4 would be Lesean McCoy. Who here think Trent Richardson is as fast as Shady? Maybe Slim Shady. Oh snap!

I am usually pretty agreable with you southwest but I disagree this time. Bill also took an expansion franchise to the nfc championship game too....his successes much much outweight his failures. Especially since two of those SBs his team were favorites in. That first one was amazing that they lost and the second with us we should have beat the Saints...neither was his fault for not building a good enough team. I agree with you he is kinda hypocritical in that he hated dealing with the media before but really he isn't interviewing other gms or anything...just giving his opinions and insight. I mean the guy has to be pushing 80 right...how long should he have to "work" in the stressful NFL exec role. His biggest errors was letting his son take over but to me that is an Irsay error. If his heart wasn't 100% in it to do his job he should have been let go earlier. There have been qbs just as good as Peyton over the years (some just a season or two at a time) that their gms couldn't surround them with playoff or SB talent and Bill did a good job building the team to suit the coach/Peyton.

I think to take his words about Addai as a straight comparrison of talent or to say that Bill thought he was a "great" back is really looking at things warped. Bill was inferring that Addai was exactly what our team needed and fit the offense perfectly (just as Richardson should Peps) and if it allows them to run what they want and it gets them to the SB just as Addai did for us then it is worth it. If Polian was so caught up with his own grandure he would have compared Richardson to Brown...both 1st Rd picks...but clearly Brown hasn't helped us get to anything..while Addai was a key performer in our SB run. Despite how great Edge was we never got to the mountain  top with him so Polian is just saying Trent doesn't have to be a pro bowl runner....just a really good rb that fits our system and allows us to get to the SB. At least that is how I took it...but those that have a different opinion of Polian may think otherwise. I simply agree with MAC.

An interesting theory...right fit right time...Both Addai & Richardson seem like decent blockers, can catch balls out of the backfield, & deliver punishment right up the middle between the tackles for 3rd down conversions. I just haven't seen enough of Trent to make a reasonable comparison though. I seldom watch Browns games. I have more efficient ways of wasting my time. Just Kidding! I do peek in to see Joe Thomas from time to time though. I have no real appreciation for Richardson's flat out speed though. That's my weakness in comparing the 2 backs.   

I will concede that Bill Polian taking a then Panthers expansion team to SB XXXVIII in 2004 was a remarkable accomplishment & for getting the best out of QB Jake Delhomme. With me, Bill Polian isn't a take the good over the bad proposition. It's more like I feel that people evaluate him in suspended animation sort of like how people tend to romantize WWII veterans as opposed to all other vets from previous wars. Like Bill can do no wrong & he has no visible flaws. I suppose a person can get overzealous in either direction both positive & negative. I guess I just feel that everyone is subject to criticism, myself included, & I don't care for elevating GMs or coaches to the level of Mother Theresa Sainthood like they are above reproach. JMO. 

No it wasn't.

Consensus was a 4.45.

The 40 times for Alabama running back Trent Richardson from today's pro day were all over the place, ranging from a fast of 4.45 seconds to as slow as 4.61 seconds. So what gives? Unlike the combine, there is no real timing mechanism to clock players in the 40 during pro-day. Basically a group of scouts sit at the finish line with stopwatches in hand, timing each participant as they cross the line. Most teams use the times recorded by their scout on the scene. When the 40 is complete most of the scouts gather together and share the times they've recorded for the prospects who ran. A happy medium between the fastest and slowest 40 time is found, hence the "official" pro day 40 time. Still, teams will use the time clocked by their scouts at the workout. The times posted for Richardson on the SI.com tracker were readings from the stopwatches of several scouts at the finish line of the 40. I've since received additional confirmation from a separate team at the workout who timed Richardson between 4.58 and 4.62 seconds.Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz2fTucvGLb

An interesting theory...right fit right time...Both Addai & Richardson seem like decent blockers, can catch balls out of the backfield, & deliver punishment right up the middle between the tackles for 3rd down conversions. I just haven't seen enough of Trent to make a reasonable comparison though. I seldom watch Browns games. I have more efficient ways of wasting my time. Just Kidding! I do peek in to see Joe Thomas from time to time though. I have no real appreciation for Richardson's flat out speed though. That's my weakness in comparing the 2 backs.   

I will concede that Bill Polian taking a then Panthers expansion team to SB XXXVIII in 2004 was a remarkable accomplishment & for getting the best out of QB Jake Delhomme. With me, Bill Polian isn't a take the good over the bad proposition. It's more like I feel that people evaluate him in suspended animation sort of like how people tend to romantize WWII veterans as opposed to all other vets from previous wars. Like Bill can do no wrong & he has no visible flaws. I suppose a person can get overzealous in either direction both positive & negative. I guess I just feel that everyone is subject to criticism, myself included, & I don't care for elevating GMs or coaches to the level of Mother Theresa Sainthood like they are above reproach. JMO. 

Polian ran the Panthers from 94-97 and led them to the nfc championship game in the second year of existance. He then was brought to Indy...so he really didn't do a lot for that 2004 Panther team. Actually it was Steve Beurlein and Kery Collins a rookie Bill drafted that qb'd for them. He brought in players like Pete Metzylars (sp) lol, Don Beebe, Kevin Greene, Sam Mills, Rod Smith and Eric Davis and Wesley Walls and drafting Tyrone Poole, Collins, Chad Cota, Mushin Muhamad, Mike Minter, (infamous) rae carruth. I will say he had immediate success but didn't really set that team up for the long term probably. I still think he did a solid job here until he gave up control in his last few years in which he should have been replaced...not left to let his son run it. It is still a lot of fond memories...but considering how this franchise was ran before he got here....I will take Bill Polian time and time again....so many others could have screwed it up and he put together plenty of teams capable of winning it all....he can't go out and make the plays...and our failures in the playoffs were sometimes because of the defense, sometime coaching mistakes, sometimes Peyton playing poorly and many times some bad turnovers and our inability to close out the game on defense after Peyton gave us a lead late. Definately not perfect but anyone else and the whole 2000's would have been massively different possibly....small chance we win more...very very small...and a large chance Peytons career ended up like his father's...talented but burning out early because we couldn't put any talent around him.

No it wasn't.

Consensus was a 4.45.

The 40 times for Alabama running back Trent Richardson from today's pro day were all over the place, ranging from a fast of 4.45 seconds to as slow as 4.61 seconds. So what gives? Unlike the combine, there is no real timing mechanism to clock players in the 40 during pro-day. Basically a group of scouts sit at the finish line with stopwatches in hand, timing each participant as they cross the line. Most teams use the times recorded by their scout on the scene. When the 40 is complete most of the scouts gather together and share the times they've recorded for the prospects who ran. A happy medium between the fastest and slowest 40 time is found, hence the "official" pro day 40 time. Still, teams will use the time clocked by their scouts at the workout. The times posted for Richardson on the SI.com tracker were readings from the stopwatches of several scouts at the finish line of the 40. I've since received additional confirmation from a separate team at the workout who timed Richardson between 4.58 and 4.62 seconds.Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz2fTucvGLb

So one team timed him between a 4.58 and a 4.62 and that somehow means the consensus was 4.6?

Bill Polian was on Mike & Mike this morning and was asked about the trade.

He said that Richardson is a very good fit for the power scheme Pep Hamilton is trying to run and this furthers the investment they have in this scheme. He said that while he may not have been a good fit for a Peyton run offense, it is a very good fit for Luck's offense.

He also said that if Richardson gives anything close to what Joseph Addai gave the Colts, the deal would be worth it.

He also commented on the Eagles game and said rookies should not be playing right tackle right away in the NFL as a rule of thumb. Hmmm....:)

Did he just compare Richardson to Addai?

Oh boy..

So one team timed him between a 4.58 and a 4.62 and that somehow means the consensus was 4.6?

Yes , that's correct.

It's like this... you take the worst time which was between 4.58 and 4.62 .. add and divide by two... then throw out all the other faster clockings. Amazing that Cleveland traded a bunch of picks to move up one spot to draft a RB that had just ran a 4.6 forty. 

How can people ascertain my emotional state online through arbitrary words? I find that fascinating...

"if Richardson proves to be as effective for the Colts as Addai was then it's a good trade". Okay, thank you for the reference point MAC. That sentence boils down to how you interpret what the definition of "effective" is. Does effective mean injure free & always on the field? Does effective mean a Playoff berth? Does effective mean winning the time of possession battle? Does effective mean getting the AFC Championship game? 

Addai hasn't been on a roster in quite some time & Bill using him as a reference point for our current roster at the running back position is like trying to extrapolate the success of the 2013 season based on drafts done 5 years ago not a recipe for meaningful projections in my book. 

Football is a completely different sport from baseball with violent brutality & vicious concussions. Plus, baseball players get guaranteed contracts vs signing bonuses. I see no link between baseball & football at all. Baseball is all about a team pitching rotation for World Series contention meaning that shoulder, wrist, & arm injuries are more prevalent. Football is all about torn ACLs, hyper extended knees, & total knee construction. 

BTW: Both my father & mother live on Social Security & I helped them file for benefits so I am well versed in how the SSA works thank you very much. No MAC that last sentence was typed in complete calmness & tranquility just so you are fully aware of that. ;)   

For crying out loud SW, i have no clue what your emotional state is, but you are clearly invested in parsing minutia for the sake of extending a disagreement into a zillion irrelevant directions. If it's not because you're irritated than what is it? Do you love argument for it's own sake? It makes my head spin. :panic:

IE: Yes, there are many differences between baseball and football. SO WHAT. I chose Willie Mays at random - I could have just as easily referenced a football player, basketball player, badminton player, chess player, bingo player, stockbroker, SCHOOL TEACHER, tinker, tailor, soldier, spy. The point was that just because someone declines it doesn't diminish their lifetime of accomplishments. "What have you done for me lately" may have been a consideration when Irsay decided not to retain Polian, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't support him for the hall of fame five minutes later, and it made no sense as you used it in your argument.

IE: The definition of the word effective is something you can think about down the road when evaluating Richardson yourself, but it has nothing to do with the fact that you were assaulting Polian for implying that Addai was better than Richardson when he did NOTHING OF THE KIND. He isn't projecting anything by mentioning Adaii, he's just offering a baseline of a comparable level of worth relative to the current team and system which would justify the draft pick. It was complementary to the Colts and Richardson and was only interesting in a football sense to the extent that one is curious about the level of impact a prominent GM expects from a first round pick.

ALL I was doing was responding to four people who eagerly took Polian's comments out of context in their enthusiasm for belittling him once again. One accepted my comments as accurate while reinforcing a concern of his own. Two didn't reply. You responded in all your glory, and now we're about two posts away from debating the merits of the color blue (For the record - I'm for it). If you don't like the man, fine, but at least criticize him fairly without turning the thread 90 degrees north and heading for the sun. 

Speaking of which, should I now dispute your insistence that your comments were "typed in tranquility"? After all, that's a geographic location on the surface of the moon, and it's bound to be difficult to type with your keyboard floating weightlessly. :headspin: When you grab phrases at random and :burnout:, trying to rein it all in to get back to the original point is exhausting. :sleepy: .

Yes , that's correct.

It's like this... you take the worst time which was between 4.58 and 4.62 .. add and divide by two... then throw out all the other faster clockings. Amazing that Cleveland traded a bunch of picks to move up one spot to draft a RB that had just ran a 4.6 forty.

He looks faster than 4.6 to me. Ballard runs 4.6

Some reality for you might be to name some GMs that have accomplished more than Bill Polian.  Like him or not, he's one of the best GM's this game has had.  Not to mention the best GM we could have hoped to ha

What you see as genius in Bill Polian, I see as utter failure. Seriously, how many HOF talents has Bill had over the years? What does he have to show for it? Manning, Kelly, Harrison, Reed, Wayne, Edge, Thurman, Dwight, Bruce Smith all off the top of my head without even thinking about it. All that Talent and 1 ring. Seriously?

When Bill took Manning in the draft it was a no brainer. Anyone that has ever watched Manning play for the Colts KNOWS how many holes Manning covered up on both sides of the ball. Bill drafted Manning, Manning made the Colts what they were, not Bill nor his drafting abilities.

Just because a broken clock is right twice a day does not mean one should be keeping their schedule by it.

I'm sure pre Super Bowl win posters on here (Coffee / GoGolts) will remember my dislike for Polian and Addai even then. so the post departure comments don't do it for me. Addai was over-rated. Bill more so. The days of me defending my views ceased about 5 years ago, although starting Peyton, Dallas and Reggie in a Buffalo snow storm pretty much kills one part of the equation. 

Bill Polian was on Mike & Mike this morning and was asked about the trade.

He said that Richardson is a very good fit for the power scheme Pep Hamilton is trying to run and this furthers the investment they have in this scheme. He said that while he may not have been a good fit for a Peyton run offense, it is a very good fit for Luck's offense.

He also said that if Richardson gives anything close to what Joseph Addai gave the Colts, the deal would be worth it.

He also commented on the Eagles game and said rookies should not be playing right tackle right away in the NFL as a rule of thumb. Hmmm.... :)

did he mean left tackle?

What you see as genius in Bill Polian, I see as utter failure. Seriously, how many HOF talents has Bill had over the years? What does he have to show for it? Manning, Kelly, Harrison, Reed, Wayne, Edge, Thurman, Dwight, Bruce Smith all off the top of my head without even thinking about it. All that Talent and 1 ring. Seriously?

When Bill took Manning in the draft it was a no brainer. Anyone that has ever watched Manning play for the Colts KNOWS how many holes Manning covered up on both sides of the ball. Bill drafted Manning, Manning made the Colts what they were, not Bill nor his drafting abilities.

Just because a broken clock is right twice a day does not mean one should be keeping their schedule by it.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem with Marv Levy and Tony Dungy than Bill Polian

Tell me coffeedrinker, do you see any team today going to 4 consecutive SBs with free agency firmly in place now? I don't. Does that minimize Polian's achievements in this league? No, but Bill did have an advantage that no longer exists. Facts are facts. 

A slight misunderstanding.  my comment was directed on the other side.  So what if he didn't have free agency... when he built the teams that went to 4 SB no other team had to deal with free agency either.  But I see what you're saying now.

But yeah, I can see a team doing.  Some teams and front offices have proven better at managing the process than others.  It would be hard and rare but I don't think it's any more impossible than back in the 80s.

I'm sure pre Super Bowl win posters on here (Coffee / GoGolts) will remember my dislike for Polian and Addai even then. so the post departure comments don't do it for me. Addai was over-rated. Bill more so. The days of me defending my views ceased about 5 years ago, although starting Peyton, Dallas and Reggie in a Buffalo snow storm pretty much kills one part of the equation. 

Braveheart is correct, he has shown his lack of football knowledge for a lot of years ;)  I always figured it's because he's scottish.

For those of you that may be apalled by my comments, braveheart knows I am joking, even though he and I have disagreed about many things (Polian and Caldwell primarily though) he knows I think he is one of the best posters on this board and one of the more knowledgeable fans around... even though he's scottish.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem with Marv Levy and Tony Dungy than Bill Polian

No the problem would be that there were still needs that were never addressed via the draft or were complete misses when he did draft to fill a need. Also take into consideration that when Bill was wrong he was to pompous to admit that a play was the wrong pick. Hades would freeze over before he would admit that he needed to cut bait and run.

You, I, and the world knows that Bill Polian is the only reason that we rested our starters every year only to get bounced out of the playoff. How is resting a team predicated on timing helping their chances of advancing in the playoffs? He forced this very same issue on the Bills while GM. Kelly also was a rhythm throwing QB. If you have never watched the Bills in their heyday with Jim Kelly watch a game or two. You will be amazed at how similar that Bill built the Colts and the Bills.

The issue I have with Bill is this. He can find talent, he can find hidden gems. However he can not find the missing piece to the puzzle when needing to finish the team. The Thing is we all know that Peyton makes everyone around him shine. Manning playing behind our O line that everyone can agree was pretty much fecal matter the last 5 years he was here, still made the line look great. I don't care who you plug in as a WR. Manning makes an average receiver elite. I have seen it with to many over the years to say otherwise.

My point here being that Bill needed to quit spending so much cap space on the O side of the ball. Give Manning a defense. Look at the Patriots, the had Tom Brady. Their GM at the time, I believe was Scott Paoli got a bunch of no name players on offense and then went and stacked the D.

Brady is special like Manning. He makes everyone around him better. Had Bill stacked the D like Paoli did there may never had even been a discussion on whom the greatest of all time is.

I'll agree you've disliked them for years.  Well I can at least speak to that about you and Polian.  I don't remember you disliking Addai or liking Addai for that matter, however I see no reason not to take you at your word about Addai.  I just honestly don't remember it but just because I don't remember it doesn't mean it wasn't there. 

No the problem would be that there were still needs that were never addressed via the draft or were complete misses when he did draft to fill a need. Also take into consideration that when Bill was wrong he was to pompous to admit that a play was the wrong pick. Hades would freeze over before he would admit that he needed to cut bait and run.

You, I, and the world knows that Bill Polian is the only reason that we rested our starters every year only to get bounced out of the playoff. How is resting a team predicated on timing helping their chances of advancing in the playoffs? He forced this very same issue on the Bills while GM. Kelly also was a rhythm throwing QB. If you have never watched the Bills in their heyday with Jim Kelly watch a game or two. You will be amazed at how similar that Bill built the Colts and the Bills.

The issue I have with Bill is this. He can find talent, he can find hidden gems. However he can not find the missing piece to the puzzle when needing to finish the team. The Thing is we all know that Peyton makes everyone around him shine. Manning playing behind our O line that everyone can agree was pretty much fecal matter the last 5 years he was here, still made the line look great. I don't care who you plug in as a WR. Manning makes an average receiver elite. I have seen it with to many over the years to say otherwise.

My point here being that Bill needed to quit spending so much cap space on the O side of the ball. Give Manning a defense. Look at the Patriots, the had Tom Brady. Their GM at the time, I believe was Scott Paoli got a bunch of no name players on offense and then went and stacked the D.

Brady is special like Manning. He makes everyone around him better. Had Bill stacked the D like Paoli did there may never had even been a discussion on whom the greatest of all time is.

Manning is a unique talent (still is) and he does make the people around him better.  But there were years when the Colts had the personnel to go to the SB and didn't a couple of times because Manning choked and a couple of times because other players choked but the team was talented enough to play in the SB.  That is, in large part, because of Polian.