Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian's comments on the TRich trade

chad72

People always act like we should have had a Pittsburg defense and our high powered offense at the same time....like we could have afforded both. Fact is we built the team around our greatest advantage/strength....Peyton. Not saying there weren't opportunities to make the team better but the few tweaks Polian made were usually to upgrade the defense...Simon/Mcfarland. The players we took were done to fit our team's schemes. RBs like Addai (great in pass protection and zone runner) and WRs like Gonzalez (should have been prototypical ultra productive slot receiver) I mean look great. OL we took were picks that were hard to be upset with at the time (not knowing the injuries/mental issues they would have later). We built a defense to play Dungy's tampa 2....we would never take players that didn't fit it...and for the most part I think the players talents were decent...I just think especially the defenses were very soft because we usually played with a lead and preached bend but don't break....not play smart and force turnovers (like Chicago's tampa 2). That's what I never understand.....a player like Tim Jennings in the same scheme is soo much better in Chicago. I loved Tony Dungy as a person, mentor, leader but I don't think he was the best defensive mind most may give him credit for.

All I'm saying is I agree with Coffee...this team had enough talent to win several SBs...we failed for many reasons...most not because we lacked talent.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning is a unique talent (still is) and he does make the people around him better.  But there were years when the Colts had the personnel to go to the SB and didn't a couple of times because Manning choked and a couple of times because other players choked but the team was talented enough to play in the SB.  That is, in large part, because of Polian.

Hold on Coffee, you just went into heretical territory. To suggest our lack of Super Bowl wins has something to do with Manning is blasphemous around here. The narrative seams to be Peyton ( he of being better than Tom Brady fame) is the martyr who was cheated out of his entitled multiple Super Bowls by that evil Bill Polian!

Just for the fun of it, how about how about I throw this one out and then duck for cover:  Polian got cheated out of multiple Super Bowl victories because of Manning. He gave him all the weapons he needed. He built the teams that contended year in and year out, Manning just couldn't work his magic as the pressure increased.  

Is that my official stance?  No, but it makes as much sense as the opposite which is quite popular in these parts.

Hold on Coffee, you just went into heretical territory. To suggest our lack of Super Bowl wins has something to do with Manning is blasphemous around here. The narrative seams to be Peyton ( he of being better than Tom Brady fame) is the martyr who was cheated out of his entitled multiple Super Bowls by that evil Bill Polian!

Just for the fun of it, how about how about I throw this one out and then duck for cover:  Polian got cheated out of multiple Super Bowl victories because of Manning. He gave him all the weapons he needed. He built the teams that contended year in and year out, Manning just couldn't work his magic as the pressure increased.  

Is that my official stance?  No, but it makes as much sense as the opposite which is quite popular in these parts.

Manning shoulders some of the blame but so do a lot of the other players.  Of all those studs offensive players we had over the years to go along with Manning the only one who really showed up in the playoffs on a consistent biases was Wayne which is part of the reason he's the one still here. 

Manning shoulders some of the blame but so do a lot of the other players.  Of all those studs offensive players we had over the years to go along with Manning the only one who really showed up in the playoffs on a consistent biases was Wayne which is part of the reason he's the one still here. 

You are correct. Marvin was particularly prone to disappear in the post season.

Trust me, I am not trying to put the blame on Manning, it should be spread all around. Just trying to shed a little alternative light on the subject.

You are correct. Marvin was particularly prone to disappear in the post season.

Trust me, I am not trying to put the blame on Manning, it should be spread all around. Just trying to shed a little alternative light on the subject.

enh I have no issue with putting the blame on Manning as long as it's shared.  I mean there were some playoff games Manning and Wayne showed up but the rest of the team didn't but there are also games where Manning just didn't play well either. 

History might be a little different had he had AV earlier in his career. Twice in the playoffs Manning put his team in position to tie or win a game only to have his kicker miss clutch kicks.  The Colts always had a case of Murphy's law it seemed like in the playoffs under Manning.  It is what it is I think people can probably put blame on just about everyone at some point over that whole run.  That's why I think when people try to put it all on one person (which I don't think you are doing) it's laughable because there is so much blame to go around for those loses it's not just one person's fault. 

Oh boy, let's have that discussion again!!!

MJD was being compared to Richardson as far as speed, but everybody knows Richardson is hands down the strongest back in the NFL and some might say one of the strongest players regardless of position. So, If you factor in his speed and strength, I suspect Richardson has more power than MJD....and I love MJD, but there's no way I would want to tackle a full blast Richardson.

MJD was being compared to Richardson as far as speed, but everybody knows Richardson is hands down the strongest back in the NFL and some might say one of the strongest players regardless of position. So, If you factor in his speed and strength, I suspect Richardson has more power than MJD....and I love MJD, but there's no way I would want to tackle a full blast Richardson.

y do you think the ravens celebrated him leaving their division. He's a beast.

I really feel that Richardson compares favorably to Maurice Jones-Drew. He is a shorter and stockier back that can get lost behind blockers but has great speed. He is like a bowling ball who hits like a ton of bricks and is tough to bring down. He is a tremendous upgrade at RB and much better than Addai.

I agree. I have no idea what some people in other threads are talking about when they say he is not explosive or doesn't have game breaking speed. I watched every single snap he took in college, literally. I'm a huge fan of the crimson tide. T Rich has great break away speed. I really like the short stocky speed backs. I could not be happier about this deal.

How can people ascertain my emotional state online through arbitrary words? I find that fascinating...

"if Richardson proves to be as effective for the Colts as Addai was then it's a good trade". Okay, thank you for the reference point MAC. That sentence boils down to how you interpret what the definition of "effective" is. Does effective mean injure free & always on the field? Does effective mean a Playoff berth? Does effective mean winning the time of possession battle? Does effective mean getting the AFC Championship game? 

Addai hasn't been on a roster in quite some time & Bill using him as a reference point for our current roster at the running back position is like trying to extrapolate the success of the 2013 season based on drafts done 5 years ago not a recipe for meaningful projections in my book. 

Football is a completely different sport from baseball with violent brutality & vicious concussions. Plus, baseball players get guaranteed contracts vs signing bonuses. I see no link between baseball & football at all. Baseball is all about a team pitching rotation for World Series contention meaning that shoulder, wrist, & arm injuries are more prevalent. Football is all about torn ACLs, hyper extended knees, & total knee construction. 

BTW: Both my father & mother live on Social Security & I helped them file for benefits so I am well versed in how the SSA works thank you very much. No MAC that last sentence was typed in complete calmness & tranquility just so you are fully aware of that. ;)   

Now you're just putting thoughts together that make no sense.  I'm reading through this thread, agreeing with most of it, considering the rest, and whenever I get to your posts I just can't understand them.  The logic is so deeply flawed, and I can understand that you feel very passionately about whatever it is that you think, and you're trying very hard to express your thoughts, but you're grossly missing the point of his statements, and even when clearly explained to you you still continue to miss it.

I hate to do this to ya, bud, because you aren't malicious or a troll, but I think I'm gonna have to put you on ignore.  I just don't understand how you could fail to grasp his statements so badly, and still stick by your guns that he's some sort of evil genius.

Braveheart is correct, he has shown his lack of football knowledge for a lot of years ;)  I always figured it's because he's scottish.

For those of you that may be apalled by my comments, braveheart knows I am joking, even though he and I have disagreed about many things (Polian and Caldwell primarily though) he knows I think he is one of the best posters on this board and one of the more knowledgeable fans around... even though he's scottish.

I take great offence to those comments. I'm perhaps one of the most knowlegdeable Scottish posters on here!

Oh, I've been on this board for a long, long time.  I knew exactly what I was doing when I posted that.

Most on here know, I think that Manning is the best QB to ever play the game, better than Unitas, better than Bradshaw, Aikmann, Staubach, Brady, Montana, Farve or any other name you want to throw out there.  But I do not think his past play has been infallible... that's just me.