Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1St Pick In The Draft Should Be Cb

I've been saying it for years that we can win big games allowing cushions of 7 yards for the opposing teams receivers on third downs.

After today, watching the cb try to jam receivers twice their size amd still getting burnt has led me to believe we need a Shut down corner.

Can we get a Antonio chromatie, Chris gamble in the draft with a top 5 pick. two guys who did extremely fairly well as rookies.

It's unlikely, but I think It's worth the risk.

These 5 yards slants have been killing us. It won't solve all our problems if it works out, but I think it's the biggest possible improvement we can make.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts will probably get the 2nd overall pick.

We could trade down to a team like the Cards who'll probably get the 6th overall pick. We trade our pick for their pick, Deuce Lutui and maybe Greg Toler. Then we pick Dre Kirkpatrick with that 6th pick. That's an option or we can just pick Kalil with the 2nd overall.

Dre Kirkpatrick is a beast, is he eligible.

First of all, you can't expect a defense to be perfect. Look at the eagles secondary. The so called Dream team.

Look at the Redskins secondary when Sean Taylor was around.

They still got burned for big plays.

Our defense has 1 huge problem. Stopping teams on 3rd down.

Why, we dont have the skill at CB to jam recievers and stick long enough to disrupt quick outs and slants

We dont have the size to plug the interior line of scrimmage.

We already invested a lot in the d line, I think we are as solid as can be there, Linebacker corps is looking good.

We have to get a corner that can hold his on to free up the rest of the d to dove into more exotic play coverages, much like the pittsburg steelers or the bill and Pats.

i just don't get why we can get a competent CB in FA, there really not that hard to find and can help this defense tremendously

fire the * named coyer, caldwell, and Christensen

change the defense to more of a base 4-3 with a new CB and DC

and if we do have the first pick and don't trade, we get Luck, if the second or third get the LT out of USC or the De/Dt Couples

4-6 get blackwell the wr... i know we have good wr's but i really don't want to overpay a old Wayne

or if we trade down for 2 first round picks, get Kirtpatrick/ and or the best Safety availible

best safety availible must be picked by the second round though

we need to go

1. cb

2. nt

3. cb

4. cb.

5. de

6 nt

7. ss

lol three CB's? That's just ridiculous. I know you're mad about the defense (I am too), but let's not exaggerate our needs.

Anyways, I say we take Andrew Luck 1st overall. Good QB'ing makes the whole team better, and we already have a QB dominant system in place, so why change it? This is why we took all those o-linemen last draft - we want to be good on offense first and foremost. Consequently, the defense will follow suit by playing with a comfortable lead.

Lets trade the first pick for an entire awesome secondary to a team that desperately needs Andrew Luck. I would be down with that.

Exactly what I thought but Polian will do it and to top things off the guy will weigh about 100lbs and get a career ending injury in the first qtr of the first game.

Maybe I'm selfish and want Manning to have one more ring to silence the critics that he could never win the big one and that he chokes.

Will Never happen, this team does not have the personell to win a SB and they wont choose the right people anyway. They need to fire everybody and start over, period. New everything. This team isnt even close.

The colts do need a really good CB and i think this is the perfect season to get one.. hopefully the colts land in the top 15 and are able to get a good CB, forget andrew luck the colts need an anchor on defense.. they already have one in a guy named PEYTON on offense.

Seriously, even if Manning never plays another down we need to address our defense first and foremost. If we want a quarterback, I say wait and get Tyler Bray or Aaron Murray in the 2014 draft. I think doogansquest will have a lot more followers this year.

Seriously, even if Manning never plays another down we need to address our defense first and foremost. If we want a quarterback, I say wait and get Tyler Bray or Aaron Murray in the 2014 draft. I think doogansquest will have a lot more followers this year.

Talent like Luck only comes once in a decade. He has been said to be the best quaterback in the NFL draft since PM and some say since Dan Marino. Draft for the future if we have the #1 pick, absolutely. Good defensive players will still be available early 2nd. If not Luck, then for sure upgrading the line for both sides of the ball and our secondary.

Talent like Luck only comes once in a decade. He has been said to be the best quaterback in the NFL draft since PM and some say since Dan Marino. Draft for the future if we have the #1 pick, absolutely. Good defensive players will still be available early 2nd. If not Luck, then for sure upgrading the line for both sides of the ball and our secondary.

I dont think Luck is as good as Manning..

..and he wont sit 4 years behind Manning...

So scenarios where you trade the pick are more logical than anything else.

If we get a top 3 pick, I would trade it to get multiple picks. Andrew Luck is not a sure thing and how do you pay a 1st round pick AND Peyton Manning. You'll take a serious hit on paying anybody else unless you dump Peyton. I'll take Peyton Manning's knowledge of the game (assuming he is healthy enough to play) for several more years than take a chance on a 1st round QB. I bet San Francisco would be itching to get Andrew Luck and won't have a chance because Alex Smith has decided to play a little better. I bet San Francisco does not want Seattle to get Luck.

As always, we need to stop the run and be able to run the ball. I think our defense needs an overhaul with both coaches and players. We need to get bigger, bigger, bigger! The Tampa 2 has not been good to the Colts and should be scrapped. We have got to get a BIG BODY to get penetration which would be devastating with Mathis and Freeney. A shutdown corner would be great but will there be one available in the draft? I would prefer to trade and get a proven CB.

If we are not sure about Delone Carter then we should get another running back (1st or 2nd round). Brown in the 1st round was just crazy and a waste of a 1st round pick. I guess I don't know what I would do right now with multiple picks. GO COLTS!

I've been saying it for years that we can win big games allowing cushions of 7 yards for the opposing teams receivers on third downs.

After today, watching the cb try to jam receivers twice their size amd still getting burnt has led me to believe we need a Shut down corner.

Can we get a Antonio chromatie, Chris gamble in the draft with a top 5 pick. two guys who did extremely fairly well as rookies.

These 5 yards slants have been killing us. It won't solve all our problems if it works out, but I think it's the biggest possible improvement we can make.

Cant argue...33

I hope we can get in a scenario where we can trade our No.1 pick for two No. 1 picks...

We need secondary help all over...

Our guys are too small and too slow and no amount of coaching can fix that..

the draft is 6 months away, right?

we dont even know who will be alive in 6 months..

Lets just try to win one game...

we are trying to the best of the coaches ability, with the talent they have,i think we are doing great with the players and coaches we have, we are not getting beat near as bad as i expected

I love the idea of trading the first pick (as I really see it being more and more likely that we do end up with this pick) to load up on picks in the next couple of drafts, and maybe even get a decent defensive player thrown in there. You could really put alot of young blood in many holes we have.

But the more I think about it, the more unrealistic that is. In madden, you make crazy trades, sign every free agent and do all those things we only dream about our team doing in real life. The simple fact is that there has not been a player, at any position, to come out of the draft with such high regard by nearly every coach and scout in the naiton in a long time. When is the last time taht every single person in sports agreed on who SHOULD and WOULD be taken first over all.

If we have the ability to draft Luck, he probably wouldn't be able to help us for a few years, outside of the practice field and in the film room. But as knowledgeable fans, you cannot just ignore the fact that Luck, more than any player the Colts have drafted since being in Indy (including our Savior, #18) is the most sure fire player we have ever had the opportunity to draft. I know it is weird hearing that, and I know that we could shore up alot of holes by trading a first overall pick, but a good franchise just cannot forego the future for a shot at throwing 3 other players at the wall to see if they stick.

If we get Luck, we have to be excited for the upcoming decade. If we trade the picks, we can be excited about the next few years.

But it is not an obvious-trade the first pick- scenario that many Colts fans are hoping it is.

The likelyhood is that if we end up with the first pick, Andrew Luck will be wearing Speed Blue and White.

Maybe I'm selfish and want Manning to have one more ring to silence the critics that he could never win the big one and that he chokes.

In hear you Austin..

..and he IS coming back in December if he can....That's what he said...

....He needs to know and we need to know whether he's 100%

I'd rather get Luck and solidify the QB position for the next 10-15 years.

This is or only chance to get a franchise QB in the draft. Peyton will be back next year and we'll get our winning season again, and won't be in position for a QB.

Get a CB in the beginning of the 2nd round (basically equivalent to a late 1st round corner)

I don't think we even need to draft a CB at all, personally. Think about it: it's widely speculated that we'll cut Bracket and Bullitt after this season, it's likely that Saturday won't be back (retirement), with the offers Mathis we likely be made we likely won't be able to resign him, Wayne might refuse to take what we are willing to pay him so he may not be back, Gonzales and Brown likely won't be resigned, and there's an outside possibility that Garcon could be made a ridiculous offer by some WR needy team that we may not be willing to match, not to mention others that may not be resigned. I realize that's alot of maybes, but collectively that's like around over $20 million in additional cap space! With players like: Tracy Porter-CB from the Saints, Cortland Finnegan-CB from the Titans, LaRon Landry-S from the Redskins, Brent Grimes-CB from the Falcons, Michael Griffin-S from the Titans, and a few other good secondary players all due to be free agents this offseason, I see no good reason why we can't shore up our secondary through free agency. Also, Paul Soliai-DT from the Dolphins(6'4", 355 lbs) will be a free agent, and acquiring him would shore up our interior d-line. And all of these players are are no older than 28, except Grimes who is 29. I think we can be okay without Mathis between using Jamaal Anderson(in run situations) and Jerry Hughes(in passing situations), and we ought to be able to resign Anderson for cheap... As far as our LBing corps, I like who we have. If we shore up the other defensive areas of need, I think our LBs will do just fine.

So if we address our defensive needs via free agency, we can use all of our early round draft picks on offensive help, like: an elite WR to replace Wayne(Blackmon, Jeffery, or Floyd), interior offensive linemen(Glenn, DeCastro, Osemele, Konz, and Jones), additional WR help(there are projected to be many good WRs still available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, like Toon, Broyles, and Fuller), a potentially elite RB talent (LaMichael James), or a future starting QB (too many possibilities to list, but might not be necessary just yet if Painter continues to get better).

When I watch Luck play, I see an NFL ready quarterback on the field...more so then I've seen in a long while. Luck is currently 22 and conceivably could be 27ish by the time Peyton hangs up the reins. Normally, I would always say draft the BPA where need intersects. Now we do have a need for QB, but not this year...we have a need for QB in 2013 - 2014!

Given what Atlanta gave away to get Julio Jones last draft, I think if we were in a position to get Luck as the first pick overall that we could get almost as much...maybe more if the GM is as desperate as Thomas Dimitroff. What I would like to see if us trade down to a team that desperately needs a QB (like Miami, Kansas City, Seattle, etc.) so our 1st round pick is in the 6 - 12 range then also pick up a couple more picks in the 2012 draft followed by a 1st round pick in the 2013 or 2014 draft. Most people don't realize it, but Rogers wasn't a top round pick. He was drafted 24th overall. My point being that good quarterbacks can be found in the lower 1st round...and that is all we really need. Also, whoever we pick will be groomed by Peyton and my guess is that Peyton can groom a replacement much better than Favre ever could.

As for what positions we draft, we can't go out and daft 3 corners a DT, and a SS. We need help on both sides of the ball. We need a top flight WR (1st round) to replace Reggie who is aging. We still need a running back (2nd round)! We need another good RT or OG (2nd - 3rd round) prospect, and as for the defense we need help at both the DT (2nd-3rd round), CB (2nd round), and SS(3rd round) positions, not to mention that would could stand to improve our depth.

Edited by Bleedin Blue

think my friend. Green Bay drafted Rodgers and made him sit behind favre for three years. Why does it seem so far fetched?

Ok now you think...GB did not spend a #1 pick on Rodgers. If you want to follow in GB's footsteps then I have no problem with that....take a QB in the late first round. Doing this means we traded back at least once if not multiple times and acquired multiple extra picks in the 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th rounds plus additional picks next year as well. So yeah, I have no problem following GB's footsteps. ;)

But the more I think about it, the more unrealistic that is. In madden, you make crazy trades, sign every free agent and do all those things we only dream about our team doing in real life. The simple fact is that there has not been a player, at any position, to come out of the draft with such high regard by nearly every coach and scout in the naiton in a long time. When is the last time taht every single person in sports agreed on who SHOULD and WOULD be taken first over all.

If the Julio Jones and Brady Quinn trades are any indication, then we would get amazing trade value for Luck as well. And the point that he has so much hype just furthers the point that we would get incredible trade value for him.

If we have the ability to draft Luck, he probably wouldn't be able to help us for a few years, outside of the practice field and in the film room. But as knowledgeable fans, you cannot just ignore the fact that Luck, more than any player the Colts have drafted since being in Indy (including our Savior, #18) is the most sure fire player we have ever had the opportunity to draft. I know it is weird hearing that, and I know that we could shore up alot of holes by trading a first overall pick, but a good franchise just cannot forego the future for a shot at throwing 3 other players at the wall to see if they stick.

If you're going to call Luck a sure fire pick, then there are also players at other positions that you have to consider sure fire. No one is a sure fire pick, especially if you consider the vast differences between the Stanford offense and the Colts offense.

If we get Luck, we have to be excited for the upcoming decade. If we trade the picks, we can be excited about the next few years.

But it is not an obvious-trade the first pick- scenario that many Colts fans are hoping it is.

The likelyhood is that if we end up with the first pick, Andrew Luck will be wearing Speed Blue and White.

How do you figure if we trade the picks we can only be excited for the next couple of years? Defensive playmakers would have the same potential to make a difference for the next decade that Luck has. I do agree that it's not a 100% obvious trade down decision, but no more than drafting luck is a 100% obvious decision to make. IMO, the trade down is the far smarter way to go, and I have a feeling the more weaknesses that are exposed throughout the year, the more people will begin to side this way.

This is or only chance to get a franchise QB in the draft. Peyton will be back next year and we'll get our winning season again, and won't be in position for a QB.

No offense intended, but this statement is wrong on many levels. There are many options for getting your next franchise QB besides spending a #1 pick on one. A brief list of QB's who became franchise QB's without being picked #1 overall...Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers and this is only of active players. Others include Steve Young and Brett Favre, neither of whom were drafted by the teams they had their success with.

Rogers wasn't a top round pick. He was drafted 24th overall. My point being that good quarterbacks can be found in the lower 1st round...and that is all we really need. Also, whoever we pick will be groomed by Peyton and my guess is that Peyton can groom a replacement much better than Favre ever could.

good luck with trying to make that point stick...I've been saying the same thing for weeks now but there are some people so dead-set on taking Luck that they refuse to acknowledge the obvious.

Three players I would love to have out of the coming draft are Manti Te'o MLB from Notre Dame, Josh Chapman DT from Alabama and Morris Claiborn CB from LSU. However if we can't get Claiborn, there's still a group of 3-5 very talented CB's at the top of the 2nd round. If we trade smartly, we could potentially add each of these players. We get the consensus strongest player in college football in Chapman, the potential next Brian Urlacher in Te'o and a great CB. We could still get a QB to develop in Nick Foles, help at OG in the 3rd-4th rounds (OG's don't typically go high so you can still get great quality in rounds 2-4) and we can find some safety help in there somewhere as well. This is also going to be a very deep draft for WR so as much as I'd like to see someone like Alshon Jeffrey or Michael Floyd, they would be more of a luxury pick than a need pick considering we can still get a very talented WR in a middle round. Personally I like what I've seen from Nick Toon out of Wisconsin.

definitely DB at 1st pick.

someone like Revis or Samuel. A shutdown corner that eliminates a big chunk of area.

I wouldn't mind a good SS as well. Maybe a FS.

Move Bethea to SS and get a FS in the style of Reed, someone that can ball hawk and eliminate half of the field.

I've always heard the Tampa 2 doesn't place a lot of emphasis on a cover cornerback. It relies on a disruptive pass rush to hurry the opponents QB and cause him to make mistakes. As long as we have the Tampa 2 I don't see the Colts going to any extra efforts in the draft to grab one. If he's the best player available at the time then they probably would, but then again knowing Polian the Colts would trade down to acquire more draft picks.

We need a DT or DE like Quinton Coples, I think stopping the run and being able to run the ball are our two biggest problems. Plus our coaching staff seems to want to keep Thomas and Rucker on the sideline, have no idea why?

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLyou guys seriously would pass on a once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a franchise QB that could set us up on another run of greatness to draft a CB who are a dime a dozen.Hello,,the QB position is the mostimportant in sports and in the NFL it is virtually everything.You can have your CB ,they may never have this chance again.