Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1St Pick In The Draft Should Be Cb

We did not resign Hayden, he plays for the Falcons now. This is my point. We took Marlin Jackson with a #1 pick at the end of the round, more like a #2. To pay a Corner for top 15 money is stupid for the Colts. Polian drafts strategically so that we offset the veterans when they leave in free agency because he knows he has no interest in resigning for big money. Instead, we are a franchise that invests heavily in key areas... ie QB, because we only keep the positions that matter. So tell me now why putting our eggs in a sure thing with Luck as #1 is stupid, when if we get multiple picks in the first round and can't resign them, and we lose all of that in 3 years when free-agency comes. We try to develop role-players and build them around our amazing offense; and to continue that philosophy we will be selecting Luck as #1 pick.

Wait what? I didn't really understand that. In 2009, we resigned Kelvin Hayden to a 5 year, $43 million contract or something like that. We probably overpayed him a little, but if he stays healthy most of the time then it's still a pretty good deal. We released him because he couldn't stay healthy for what he was getting paid, same with Bob Sanders.

You act like CB's are not important in our defense? Tell that to Jacob Lacey and Terrance Johnson, guys who love to get burned by more physically talented WR's. Sorry, but CB's our important in ANY defense, and even more so in ours now because we are playing more man to man coverage. Don't believe me about the man to man coverage? Go watch the Chiefs game and you'll see.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did not resign Hayden, he plays for the Falcons now. This is my point. We took Marlin Jackson with a #1 pick at the end of the round, more like a #2. To pay a Corner for top 15 money is stupid for the Colts. Polian drafts strategically so that we offset the veterans when they leave in free agency because he knows he has no interest in resigning for big money. Instead, we are a franchise that invests heavily in key areas... ie QB, because we only keep the positions that matter. So tell me now why putting our eggs in a sure thing with Luck as #1 is stupid, when if we get multiple picks in the first round and can't resign them, and we lose all of that in 3 years when free-agency comes. We try to develop role-players and build them around our amazing offense; and to continue that philosophy we will be selecting Luck as #1 pick.

We won't make the same mistake of relying so heavily on a QB, that we can't build a team around him.

Manning was able to win, but we are now seeing just how many holes he covers. Luck will NEVER be capable of the same level of QB play. No one is. We will not put our eggs in the Luck basket, unless we are stupid, or we get him for nothing.

We won't make the same mistake of relying so heavily on a QB, that we can't build a team around him.

Manning was able to win, but we are now seeing just how many holes he covers. Luck will NEVER be capable of the same level of QB play. No one is. We will not put our eggs in the Luck basket, unless we are stupid, or we get him for nothing.

Well, i guess we will just be bottom dwellers for the next 15 years... Which will be sad, but since i live in Michigan recently, i guess i better get used to cheering for the lions. cheers.

:facepalm:

Oh its you again Jason. Here is my quote just for you, the colt in denial:

"There are 2 types of Colts fans right now. There is one group that knows the future is with Luck. And then there are those who are in denial; thinking Manning can recover from a career-ending neck injury."

Edited by super8todd

Oh its you again Jason. Here is my quote just for you, the colt in denial:

"There are 2 types of Colts fans right now. There is one group that knows the future is with Luck. And then there are those who are in denial; thinking Manning can recover from a career-ending neck injury."

Your quote is just stupid....no idea who said it and I don't really care. I'm not in denial about anything. You seem to be in denial of the fact that there just may be a few other QB's that have just as much a chance of NFL success as Luck has. I'm not convinced, like you seem to be, that Luck is the only option, and I'm also not convinced he's even the best option for us. If you think that he is, then that's great, that's your opinion. But to think that without Luck we are doomed to dwell in the NFL cellar for the next 15 years is just sad and amazingly naive.

Edited by Jason

Your quote is just stupid....no idea who said it and I don't really care. I'm not in denial about anything. You seem to be in denial of the fact that there just may be a few other QB's that have just as much a chance of NFL success as Luck has. I'm not convinced, like you seem to be, that Luck is the only option, and I'm also not convinced he's even the best option for us. If you think that he is, then that's great, that's your opinion. But to think that without Luck we are doomed to dwell in the NFL cellar for the next 15 years is just sad and amazingly naive.

You know, for someone that says my quote is stupid, I've read the blog where your quote came from... you are missing the most important part of your quote, which says that we should cut Manning if we take Luck to 'learn' from Manning. Which i disagree with, but you aren't properly displaying the entire version of the quote you lifted, just cherry picking the part YOU like, just like a politician with something to hide..

Nevertheless, we disagree on one thing. But my opinion isn't naive, we are facing the future right now without Manning, and that seems to be working out really well for our team this season. Get used to it, because we need a 50/50 QB rotation next season or we will be bottom dwellers is all im saying.

And I only say... bottom dwellers because we didnt take Luck of course. Maybe i should just cheer for the team that does take him, because they are going to be the winners.

All I can say is it is really sad if you truly believe that Luck is the only chance we have at future success. I mean, what happens if we don't even get the #1 pick?

You know, for someone that says my quote is stupid, I've read the blog where your quote came from... you are missing the most important part of your quote, which says that we should cut Manning if we take Luck to 'learn' from Manning. Which i disagree with, but you aren't properly displaying the entire version of the quote you lifted, just cherry picking the part YOU like, just like a politician with something to hide..

Nevertheless, we disagree on one thing. But my opinion isn't naive, we are facing the future right now without Manning, and that seems to be working out really well for our team this season. Get used to it, because we need a 50/50 QB rotation next season or we will be bottom dwellers is all im saying.

What on earth are you talking about? I didn't lift any quote. I directly quoted your post...YOU are the one who lifted the quote from whatever blog you're talking about.

All I can say is it is really sad if you truly believe that Luck is the only chance we have at future success. I mean, what happens if we don't even get the #1 pick?

Then we better start looking at Matt Barkley. I didn't realize the severity of Manning's injury until i looked it up. No one has recovered from it.. no one knows that. This is why Manning is getting experimental stem-cell therapy from Europe. It is a debilitating career-ending injury, Manning is going to have the fight of his life just to be 50%. So we really need a QB to take his load off.

What on earth are you talking about? I didn't lift any quote. I directly quoted your post...YOU are the one who lifted the quote from whatever blog you're talking about.

You misunderstood; i am talking about This Quote of Yours:

If Manning is healthy, he's going to play for 4 to 5 more years. It's too soon to take Luck to 'learn' from Manning. This option makes the least sense. It's probably the most popular among fans and pundits, but it's pure unadulterated stupidity. It will ruin the franchise.

You misunderstood; i am talking about This Quote of Yours:

If Manning is healthy, he's going to play for 4 to 5 more years. It's too soon to take Luck to 'learn' from Manning. This option makes the least sense. It's probably the most popular among fans and pundits, but it's pure unadulterated stupidity. It will ruin the franchise.

Ah, ok yes I did misunderstand. However, regardless of whether Manning plays 1 more year or 5 more years, my trade down stance doesn't change. And you no more know that Manning never will return than the author of that blog knows that Manning will return. I've said this numerous times, that things obviously change to some extent if, come draft day, the Colts FO knows that Manning will never return.

Ah, ok yes I did misunderstand. However, regardless of whether Manning plays 1 more year or 5 more years, my trade down stance doesn't change. And you no more know that Manning never will return than the author of that blog knows that Manning will return. I've said this numerous times, that things obviously change to some extent if, come draft day, the Colts FO knows that Manning will never return.

I respect your opinion, Maybe getting multiple draft picks could be better.. but we are just in such a bad position with Manning. I hope I'm wrong about Manning, and that he gets to play another 5+ years. But either way, we need another decent QB to take his 4th quarters and possibly some 3rd.

I respect your opinion, Maybe getting multiple draft picks could be better.. but we are just in such a bad position with Manning. I hope I'm wrong about Manning, and that he gets to play another 5+ years. But either way, we need another decent QB to take his 4th quarters and possibly some 3rd.

And I've got no problem with that at all. I think there are a number of college prospects that can be franchise QB's, especially after a year or 2 with Manning. I mean look how Painter is playing. No he's not spectacular and he's made some mistakes but for only having 3 career starts he's doing very well. So that said, even if the Colts don't draft a QB at all, Painter can step in during those 4th quarters you're talking about and still manage the game and close it out. However if the Colts do draft a QB, like I said there are a number who have just as much physical talent and have at least comparable intelligence. Personally I really would love to see the Colts draft Nick Foles. I think he has a ton of potential and would be a bargain even at the top of the second round but due to the number of QB's he may be available at the top of the 3rd.

This way you have the best of both worlds...a very talented young QB who will gain from the benefit of working with Manning, but you also get as many draft picks as possible to both A) give Manning and the other core of vets on the team (Mathis, Wayne, Saturday, Clark, Freeney) as much help as possible to try to win another ring or 2 in their final years and B) create a better overall team for the new QB to inherit and having the best team around him is the easiest way to ease him into the pro game and give him the best chance for success. Plus the future additional draft picks that also help to build a better overall team.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly disagree with the statement in red. Angerer, Moala, Nevis, Castonzo, Ijalana (in what little we got to see of him), Collie, Garcon (definitely talented but the drops are killers), Conner, Wheeler, and Carter are all very talented players.

moala is a bum....and wheeler has been awful for the most part.

Then we better start looking at Matt Barkley. I didn't realize the severity of Manning's injury until i looked it up. No one has recovered from it.. no one knows that. This is why Manning is getting experimental stem-cell therapy from Europe. It is a debilitating career-ending injury, Manning is going to have the fight of his life just to be 50%. So we really need a QB to take his load off.

You seem to think that we NEED to take a Qb with our 1st pick. We don't. We'll figure something out in the future. Even if we do take Luck we'll still be "bottom dwellers" for what? The next 5 or so years with him because we weren't smart enough to fix the atrocious defense. And omg peytons surgery MIGHT be career-threatening, not IS career-threatening. Please stop with that. *asked nicely*

Do you even watch the games? Kavel Conner has been awful in pass coverage, which everyone knows, while you have no proof that Wheeler has been terrible at anything...

??? do even read? where did i say anything about conner? and until this year wheeler has been awful.....go watch tapes from previous years.

??? do even read? where did i say anything about conner? and until this year wheeler has been awful.....go watch tapes from previous years.

Did I say I was talking about previous years? I thought you meant Wheeler has been horrible for the most part this year.

And I still don't understand why people hate on Philip Wheeler. He wasn't any worse last year than Angerer was at SLB. Angerer couldn't take down a guy bigger than 200 lbs. last year without getting dragged for a first down.

Did I say I was talking about previous years? I thought you meant Wheeler has been horrible for the most part this year.

And I still don't understand why people hate on Philip Wheeler. He wasn't any worse last year than Angerer was at SLB. Angerer couldn't take down a guy bigger than 200 lbs. last year without getting dragged for a first down.

no, wheeler has been quite the surprise this year. i am admittedly shocked.