Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shepard

theanarchist

I see a lot of complaining going on on the board this week. I kind of had a suspicion that we were going to see this. I think there are a lot of high hopes this year and rightly so. I myself thought that we were a little ambitious with our expectations. That doesn't mean I don't think we have a good team I just think with all the new additions it'll take time to gel a little bit.

I still think this defense lacks a true difference maker on the line of scrimmage. Maybe Werner develops into that. I still thinks that Mathis does a nice job at OLB but I think he's more natural as a down DE. We need a true stud DE/OLB that the offense has to account for on passing downs.

With that being said I'd like to address the play of one Kelvin Shepard on Sunday. I realize he is not the starter and is filling in for an injured Pat Angerer and or Kavell Connor but Kelvin didn't look too good on Sunday and I thought for a guy who has been in the NFL several years it was a pretty pathetic performance on his part. Hopefully he redeems himself this week.

I see a lot of complaining going on on the board this week. I kind of had a suspicion that we were going to see this. I think there are a lot of high hopes this year and rightly so. I myself thought that we were a little ambitious with our expectations. That doesn't mean I don't think we have a good team I just think with all the new additions it'll take time to gel a little bit.

I still think this defense lacks a true difference maker on the line of scrimmage. Maybe Werner develops into that. I still thinks that Mathis does a nice job at OLB but I think he's more natural as a down DE. We need a true stud DE/OLB that the offense has to account for on passing downs.

With that being said I'd like to address the play of one Kelvin Shepard on Sunday. I realize he is not the starter and is filling in for an injured Pat Angerer and or Kavell Connor but Kelvin didn't look too good on Sunday and I thought for a guy who has been in the NFL several years it was a pretty pathetic performance on his part. Hopefully he redeems himself this week.

I think the D-line did fairly well, however I don't think they were fully prepared for Pryor, and it showed no doubt. I will give them a pass on this one especially being the first game of the season and against a RO QB at that. Now, if we are still making the same mistakes against Kaep then there are issues, but being this early its way to early to judge if this is what's to expect for the rest of the season.

That is pretty much how he played in Buffalo. He was a little better, being that he knew the system better, but not a whole lot.

He should improve but I don't see him ever having much of an impact.

I would agree but I would like to see us hold on to an LSU player, it's been Addai, errr, "A day".   ;) ;)

It's not just you, I thought Sheppard looked lost in coverage as well. 

I just hope we get to see all these exotic blitzes everyone keeps talking about. I'm sick of hearing/reading the word Vanilla....

.....unless it pertains to ice cream. 

Sheppard was out of position quite a bit in terms of allowing the blocker to maneuver him with ease by 'positioning.'

I think I said long ago I cannot wait to see the disguises that allow blitzes a 'sneak attack' on the QB.  Standing at the line and 'telling them?' must go!

sticker,375x360.u4.png

i agree with you on shepperd, but lets be honest he is the 4th inside linebacker we cant expect him to be nth more than a back up who was forced in to start because are middle linebacker was so concussed that it took him 4 days after a game to relize he was concussed......

I think Mathis is perfect for his role.  Let's not forget that he's playing a different role than he did last year and this one is more suited to his abilities.

I think Mathis is perfect for his role.  Let's not forget that he's playing a different role than he did last year and this one is more suited to his abilities.

Mathis doe not as yet know the word contain...that worries me against some of the running backs and QBs we will be facing...can he do it?  I believe so...he is the consummate professional IMO.  And...he IS a pass rusher...the ONLY proven one we have. :thmup:

Mathis doe not as yet know the word contain...that worries me against some of the running backs and QBs we will be facing...can he do it?  I believe so...he is the consummate professional IMO.  And...he IS a pass rusher...the ONLY proven one we have. :thmup:

It would be interesting to get some insight into how much his role is focused on contain v. pass rush.  On the other end, people complained about the money we gave Walden, but his primary job is to set the edge on the strong-side and that's where he excels (apparently).  I'm not sure the rush backer has the same level of responsibility for that as the strong side backer.

It would be interesting to get some insight into how much his role is focused on contain v. pass rush.  On the other end, people complained about the money we gave Walden, but his primary job is to set the edge on the strong-side and that's where he excels (apparently).  I'm not sure the rush backer has the same level of responsibility for that as the strong side backer.

Good post.  

I may be one of the few that like Walden here, so I may be wrong on Mathis as the "Rush LB."  I feel that in the 3-4 the Rush LB should not give up what he is doing.  Mathis rushes every single play it seems and there is nobody outside.  This cannot be by design.  SOMEONE needs to stay home/contain whether in a Read offense or conventional.  I too would like to see what Pagano's take is on the "Rush Backer.

I played outside LB in HS, and I stayed home and contained.  I actually set the edge.  I used to get upset when the other OLB got the sacks more than I did :)  He also was burned time and time again against some of the best Franklin Central teams in its storied history.  I will never forget when my dad came home and told me the coach said:   "You notice we did not run to Brent's side after he nailed Austin for 3 straight losses."  That made my day!   :)

Mathis is great in pursuit and over pursuit.

He will continue to kill us as he always has against the run.

But he will make a bunch of pursuit tackles 5 yards down the field that impresses a certain number of Fans.

I like watching his hustle immensely. But I don`t IGNORE It Many times a game comes at a cost to the TEAM.

It seems to pay well.

Mathis is great in pursuit and over pursuit.

He will continue to kill us as he always has against the run.

But he will make a bunch of pursuit tackles 5 yards down the field that impresses a certain number of Fans.

I like watching his hustle immensely. But I don`t IGNORE It Many times a game comes at a cost to the TEAM.

It seems to pay well.

The part I bolded I agree with.....there was a huge reason Mathis appeared to be the most tired player on the field....he was chasing all day.  Even his sack was in chase mode.  I hope we get some contain on either side he lines up.  Some blamed Walden even when they were flip flopped....Pryor KNEW where Mathis was and took advantage of him/Colts.

I don't blame Sheppard.  He was our spy on Pryor, and he clearly didn't have the athleticism for the job.  It was a poor matchup for him, our fourth ILB spying arguably the most athletic player on the field.  That's on the coaching staff.

If he was our spy, I am hiring two national heroes..... :sarcasm:

MV5BMTc1MDQ5MTA1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE2

Sheppard was awful on Sunday.  Angerer can't get back soon enough.  As for the vanilla defense, we were facing a QB who we had no film on.  He's also not a guy who you're going to confuse with complex blitzes cause he doesn't understand the vanilla looks.  I figure we see less vanilla this week when we're facing a typical pocket passer.

It was literally the worst performance for an Mlb in week 1. So pathetic...

I don't blame Sheppard.  He was our spy on Pryor, and he clearly didn't have the athleticism for the job.  It was a poor matchup for him, our fourth ILB spying arguably the most athletic player on the field.  That's on the coaching staff.

We definitely could have used Conner in this game.  

I don't think he was horrible. The only plays I saw him look bad was against Pryor. He took some bad angles here and there and mostly just got outran. What do you expect when one guy is standing there. And the other is coming at you with a full head of steam. Pryor exposed out while d, not just sheppard.

Its not about being faster, Its about Play Recognition, Angerers play recognition is better then Sheppards yes, The down side of it is once Angerer recognizes the play more often then not it takes more then just him to bring down the ball carrier when he gets ahold of him, Sheppards got the size and strength that Pat dont have ut not the play recognition skills........Angerers play recognition skills is by no means elite or great however but better

Sheppard was out of position quite a bit in terms of allowing the blocker to maneuver him with ease by 'positioning.'

I think I said long ago I cannot wait to see the disguises that allow blitzes a 'sneak attack' on the QB.  Standing at the line and 'telling them?' must go!

sticker,375x360.u4.png

Brent..Please no more self-pictures...No wonder those RB's were scared of you when you played LB..you with that long grey beard sticking out the front of your helmet like Polamalu's hair does out the back of his.. :D

Sheppard did look lost out there..I was really expecting a lot more out of him when he got playing time.

Brent..Please no more self-pictures...No wonder those RB's were scared of you when you played LB..you with that long grey beard sticking out the front of your helmet like Polamalu's hair does out the back of his.. :D

Sheppard did look lost out there..I was really expecting a lot more out of him when he got playing time.

I am a little bigger than ole Si.....I cannot grow my beard like that....although mine IS pure white...more like Santa Claus. :spit:...with helmet and pads...:)  or screaming at refs during a game.....

10781271.jpg

stock-illustration-11342493-santa-claus-