Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

cuts announced!

BronxColtNYC

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to comment that I was really surprised and disappointed at Nevis being cut.   That said, I do have faith in Grigson.  And I don't think it has anything to do with Nevis being a Polian guy. Grigson made a point when he came in here to say he wanted good players and it would be stupid to get rid of players just for the sake of change.  And I think his actions have backed that up.  

Clearly, in the grand scheme of things, they must feel that Nevis didn't work with what they envision on the defense.   So I am 100% faith that in the end, this will work out good for both parties.  I expect a much better defense from out Colts and I expect Nevis will be a good DT in a 4-3 defense.

Ijalana is 100 times worse i have a hard time seeing in why people have such a hard on for him. 

I can understand why you would feel that way.   I think, speaking for myself, it was just disappointing to see Ijalana look promising as a rookie in his brief gameplay.  Then go two years without really playing and the Colts hanging onto him.  So it seems he is finally healthy and he hardly got to play in the preseason other than in cleanup.  So I think for a team with obviously O-Line needs, it is disappointing to see a young, promising player cut.

But there is one theory here.  Maybe that was intentional.  Maybe Pagano likes him but feels he is not fully recovered. So playing him litle, cutting him, and perhaps putting him on the PS would be easier.   Who knows.  

Your missing why I made the Eric Foster reference. It's not a talent comparison, it's a fans reaction comparison. I know some want to believe that he was still a fit in the defense, but the truth is, you'd be hard pressed to find another 3-4 DE Nevis' size. He was very generously listed a 6'1" and the prototypical size for a 3-4 DE is at the very least 6'3". Those 2 inches may not seem like a big deal but he also had short arms so he didn't have the length to get his paws in the air to bat down throws through the passing lanes. Nevis is a good player and he'll make a 4-3 team happy, but he wasn't in our plans moving forward. It's just that simple. If the coaches thought he would be an effective 3-4 DE, then he would be here still.

Well, every GM tends to favor his draft picks and trade acquisitions, Grigson is not beyond that.

Polian once cut a 4th round pick in Terrance Taylor, that was when I realized Polian is really not married to his draft picks as much as I thought he was. That day will come with Grigson too.

But first, a GM has to go with his conviction for a few years before realizing he can go against the grain and take a different stance from what he had before, quicker than he wants to. Grigson is not there yet, IMO. There is not enough sample space for him to analyze himself in hindsight, you know what I mean. Till then, he has to trust his conviction and go with it. :)

It does not make him right or wrong, history and wins will be the ultimate judge. 12 win seasons for 7 years bought Polian a lot of leeway too, it is a bottom line business. But Grigson will have the lessons of hindsight only with a larger sample space.

Super disappointed Ijalana didn't pan out. Such a high pick with potential that I reeeally thought was going to be an anchor for a decade. Guess his injuries just handicapped him more than we want to admit. :-)

Drake Nevis, this cut I don't agree with. Super high motor guy that ALWAYS seemed to make plays. I thought of him as truly an impact guy. I mean, for all the plays he seemed to always make when given a chance, can his not being a "system fit" really out weigh his performance THAT much? I thought of him as being FAR more impactful than Moala. Maybe there's more to his back ailments than we know?

Anyway, these are the two big disappointments to me. I sure hope Pagano and Grigs are making the right call here, because I'd hate to see these 2 emerge as good players elsewhere, having slipped through the Colts grasp.

Between this and the coaching staff's infatuation with McGlynn and Satele, I don't know how anyone can say the front office/coaching staff's evaluation process is based on fielding the best players possible. I can't help but think this cut is really gonna sting down the road because of how good Nevis becomes. Ideologies and politics seem to be prevalent in this regime as well. Some things never change  

As I said in another post in another thread.......

Everyone seems to see the same thing differently.    And I see this post as....      :facepalm:

But,  maybe that's just me....

I can't believe that number 12 kid made the cut.

haha, yeah very suprising. I was thinking 12, I can't even remember his darn name, should've been cut and Harnish would be starting. I'm very disappointed with this staff for their decisions!!! #12 has the audacity to play QB for the Colts and now we are doomed.

Nevis is a surprise... Ijalana is not a surprise, but a disappointment because he had so much potential coming into the league. I'm more shocked that we kept Reed at WR than I am about any of the cuts, though. I am very glad that Rayford, Williams, and Harvey made it (so far).

Despite the fact that Nevis is not a part of it, the final 53 looks very good to me (again, so far). There isn't a position (unlike last season or any season before that I can remember) that isn't filled with a bona fide starting caliber player. People like to say that we don't have many "stars" on either side of the ball, but its kind of difficult to have established "stars" on a team that is so young. The only question mark is at OG, and I am optimistic/hopeful that Thornton will anchor that spot for years with a little experience.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad we kept Mike McGlynn.  He's my favorite player of all time!

Immovable

Tenacity

Pride

Glory

Contender

Those are the words that signify McGlynn, my favorite player of all time.

aars.jpg

He gets an E for effort in my book!

:rock:

The interview with McGlynn on TV last weekend made me want to punch the big oaf in the face.   :spit: The man truly thinks he is cute and a bad____!  The announcer talked to him as if he was the baddest thing since Conrad Dobbler.

dobler.jpg

I 'got' news for ya Mike.....you are lucky to be on the team....in the league for that matter.  You played horrifically last year when injured.  We wanted to see how you played when healthy.  Ding ding ding....you are the McWorst.  

One thought for me....Nevis is so much better than Mathews it is pitiful.  Guy is better against the run than Mathews.  I would have cut another safety (Brown or Howell) kept Guy and Nevis.  Cut Gordy and kept Green (How Gordy made the team after the Bengal game?) 

So:  Cuts:  Mathews Gordy Brown

53:  Guy, Nevis and Green

I know some agree some don't just like us with Grigs.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

The interview with McGlynn on TV last weekend made me want to punch the big oaf in the face. :spit: The man truly thinks he is cute and a bad____! The announcer talked to him as if he was the baddest thing since Conrad Dobbler.

I 'got' news for ya Mike.....you are lucky to be on the team....in the league for that matter. You played horrifically last year when injured. We wanted to see how you played when healthy. Ding ding ding....you are the McWorst.

One thought for me....Nevis is so much better than Mathews it is pitiful. Guy is better against the run than Mathews. I would have cut another safety (Brown or Howell) kept Guy and Nevis. Cut Gordy and kept Green (How Gordy made the team after the Bengal game?)

So: Cuts: Mathews Gordy Brown

53: Guy, Nevis and Green

I know some agree some don't just like us with Grigs. :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe: !!!

Hey Brent, remember the roster cuts we did way before preseason even started?

Well, I kept mine and decided to use that as my official guess at the roster final 53. I finished 41/53 which I suppose wasn't bad. How'd you do?

Well, I kept mine and decided to use that as my official guess at the roster final 53. I finished 41/53 which I suppose wasn't bad. How'd you do?

I never officially wrote them down.  HA HA!  I was worse than you though I am sure.  In no way could we have predicted 5 safeties for example.  I thought we would keep 4 TEs since Jones also can play fullback (I do not want Allen back there) I honestly did not think Harnish was worse than Painter....he was/is.  

Good job TK...I was close...you were better. :thmup:

I never officially wrote them down. HA HA! I was worse than you though I am sure. In no way could we have predicted 5 safeties for example. I thought we would keep 4 TEs since Jones also can play fullback (I do not want Allen back there) I honestly did not think Harnish was worse than Painter....he was/is.

Good job TK...I was close...you were better. :thmup:

Most of my misses came from oline since I'm not very knowledgeable about the evaluation of them.

Few misses in the WR & CB department. The Nevis cut was a shocker.

And I would've finished 42/53 but took a "fun" guess and put McManus in over Adam Vinny haha

Most of my misses came from oline since I'm not very knowledgeable about the evaluation of them.

And I would've finished 42/53 but took a "fun" guess and put McManus in over Adam Vinny haha

I was much better on the final cut....I still think Jones should have been kept....as a backup FB and TE.

Gordy flat out makes me ill......he was even running away from everyone in the Bengal game on Special/errr not-so-special teams in the finale!!!  Oh well....we cannot like ALL of the cuts....Nevis was indeed the shocker for me.  If the Colts had played Chapman with him he could have been one on one or demanding his own double teams....maybe Mathews can do the same????  Not impressed.

I loved McManus....I was praying for him to make it....Got it?  Praying McMantis?  :)

PrayingMantis.jpg

I was much better on the final cut....I still think Jones should have been kept....as a backup FB and TE.

Gordy flat out makes me ill......he was even running away from everyone in the Bengal game on Special/errr not-so-special teams in the finale!!! Oh well....we cannot like ALL of the cuts....Nevis was indeed the shocker for me. If the Colts had played Chapman with him he could have been one on one or demanding his own double teams....maybe Mathews can do the same???? Not impressed.

Yeah, I think Ricardo Matthews just caught the attention of a few people on this forum. He's gonna have alot of people watching him to see if he justifies making the cut over Nevis who was a fan favorite imo

Yeah, I think Ricardo Matthews just caught the attention of a few people on this forum. He's gonna have alot of people watching him to see if he justifies making the cut over Nevis who was a fan favorite imo

I will be watching Mathews like a rabid hawk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dIiV4AKzOM

Rayford is so unorthodox he makes Offensive linemen miss....he is 6' 7" and gets low...crazy.......looking forward to him in passing situations and he NEEDS to be out ther on kicks and punts to attempt some blocks!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

I heard a lot of Colts "experts" on the radio//TV today asked about that very move and they pretty much said Matthews has more value because he can play multiple positions while Nevis could just play one and when you get to the back end of the roster guys who can play multiple positions almost always win those battles.  Take that for what it's worth. 

Also before someone tells me how awesome Nevis is and how much better than Matthews is I am going to tell you right now I liked what I saw from Nevis in the pre-season a lot more than Matthews too.  With that said, just because we saw it that way doesn't mean the Colts saw it that way in fact I would say it's pretty clear they didn't and they didn't think Nevis was as "awesome" as most of us did or there is no way they would have cut him.  Keep in mind they also see all the practices and are professionals (no matter how smart any of us are we aren't as good at this as they are.).  Now just because they are professionals doesn't mean they are always right either but I know from years past there is always one player who is cut at the final cuts that people freak out over a month later no one remembers who that guy was.  The only one I've really seen come back to bight the Colts was Dan Orlovsky.  Also keep in mind Nevis is going to be in a different situation in San Diego so success there doesn't automatically = success here.  With that all said I am sure Nevis was probably one of the last cuts if not the last cut the Colts made.  We can only hope like you said our D-line plays so well this season we don't miss him. 

Jake Scott was cut by the Lions, he`s still got to be better than a few O-lineman the Colts retained. Worth a look?

Jake spent most of last year out of football and was released by the Lions this year during the pre-season.  That tells me he's not the player he used to be.  Also, unless there is an injury I don't think the Colts are looking for another vet for the o-line.  I think they will play McGlynn (although based on how he looked I think Thornton could probably start now) till they think Thornton is ready.  McGlynn is pretty much the stop gap guy, he's in his second year playing on the line with these guys and chemistry is very important the o-line and he's spent all of camp and the pre-season with us so he knows the offense already.  Someone else coming in would have to learn the offense cold that's a lot to ask of them and then ask for them to start on Sunday.  I still think the goal is to get to Thornton as soon as they can though because they want him to grow into that job and start the process of him jelling with the o-line.  So I think bring in another vet might help this season but might hurt long term. 

Around 38 places were set in stone.

Around 40 places were set in stone.

That really makes me feel bad.....I may have been worse...or was I?  :)  

Always fun to see someone like Rayford 'play'hustle' his way onto a team....I wish we could have seen Adong to see if he was even worth a PS position.  I do not want to waste those spots either.

That really makes me feel bad.....I may have been worse...or was I?   :)

Always fun to see someone like Rayford 'play'hustle' his way onto a team....I wish we could have seen Adong to see if he was even worth a PS position.  I do not want to waste those spots either.

I think he is on PS because the Colts have put in an application to the league for him to be an 'Exempt International Player' meaning he is treated as a developmental player who does not count against the 8 PS players. This was introduced with the new CBA.