Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone else feel like I do?

FanFromtheWasteland

I can honestly say that I haven’t been this fired up for the start of the NFL season for a long time. I don’t know why for sure. We have had one of the greatest QB’s to ever play the game and have had great success for the last decade but I am more excited now than I have been since maybe the Harbaugh days.  Anticipation of the unknown?

I think that may be because the Manning Colts were in one of the greatest "ruts" of all time. I am not one to complain about the success, but almost yearly we knew what to expect. Amazing season, followed by an early playoff exit. This year, we have so many moving pieces that we feel like more of a team. We are the Colts, not Peyton, Reggie, and the supporting cast. While I loved the past decade, I, too, find myself giddy.

I think that may be because the Manning Colts were in one of the greatest "ruts" of all time. I am not one to complain about the success, but almost yearly we knew what to expect. Amazing season, followed by an early playoff exit. This year, we have so many moving pieces that we feel like more of a team. We are the Colts, not Peyton, Reggie, and the supporting cast. While I loved the past decade, I, too, find myself giddy.

what?? I know people on crack that made more sense.

I know the Manning era Colts didn't win as much in the playoffs as most of us wish, but the Luck era Colts haven't scores a touchdown in the playoffs yet, much less won a game. So I don't understand why we can't be excited about the new era without undermining the past.

I am excited about the unknown, the feeling of a team bonding before our eyes, the unexpected tandems that occur bewteen players, and so on. Diminishing the past in any way in my mind actually lessens the present, it doesn't bouy it. At least that is how I see it.

I know the Manning era Colts didn't win as much in the playoffs as most of us wish, but the Luck era Colts haven't scores a touchdown in the playoffs yet, much less won a game. So I don't understand why we can't be excited about the new era without undermining the past.

I don't know that they are trying to undermine the past so much as show their disappointment in it.  I mean, sometimes it comes across that way, but at least for me, I am disappointed in many of our shortcomings.  I'm forever grateful to 18 for putting us on the map, but at the same token, there were times where my confidence in him wasn't exactly unwavering at all times. 

I get what you're saying but I think it was more like - let's get the season over with so we can start the playoffs.  We pretty much knew we'd be in the playoffs every year. 

I think we knew we had more than even chances to win every regular season game.   The playoffs were a completely different feel.

I don't know that they are trying to undermine the past so much as show their disappointment in it.  I mean, sometimes it comes across that way, but at least for me, I am disappointed in many of our shortcomings.  I'm forever grateful to 18 for putting us on the map, but at the same token, there were times where my confidence in him wasn't exactly unwavering at all times. 

It's just ironic that when someone says they're excited about the new era, out comes the comments about disappointment with the old era. The new era hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet, so I don't know how the playoff disappointments of the old era have anything to do with with excitement about the new era.

It's just ironic that when someone says they're excited about the new era, out comes the comments about disappointment with the old era. The new era hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet, so I don't know how the playoff disappointments of the old era have anything to do with with excitement about the new era.

Well, and I'm not saying you don't have a good point.  Our expectations or hopes of the new era can only really be compared to our own history.  It makes no sense to say that we hope to win 2 superbowls because that will be better than what the Patriots have done in the past 10 years.  But the hope of the new era has the potential to be better than what we have already known.  Will it happen?  I dunno, and when Luck retires, we may look back and say were dumb for building our expectations so high.  I like to keep my expectations in check, but I can't help but be excited for what may be.  I mean com'on, it's human nature. Even you have to be excited.

I don’t think that he was undermining the past. He was reflecting on it and didn’t say anything that a lot of us didn’t feel at the start of every post season. Just the way it is. There was no comment about “this one choked,  that one sucked, this one is worthless blah blah blah…”  just stating the facts to explain the current feeling

Oh gosh...all you Nancys. Anyone who didn't go into seasons during the Manning years expecting success but concerned about playoff letdowns was asleep at the switch.

At least now we don't have that monkey to wrestle with. Now the issue is can we put together an above average Oline. I hope that doesn't become the lasting issue of the Luck era.

Uhmmm or undermining the new era.  This team will always be measured by the past, like it or not. You just undermined the new era with this post. I get what the OP said and meant in that post. If people here dont get the disappointment in the past era with the Polian regime and his lack of supplying PM with a complete team then they havent been watching very close.

Maybe the OP should have said, we may be going to have a defense for a change. And might be able to make a run into the playoffs for a change. If people say 1 thing about PM here the sky is falling. Not 1 person in this thread slighted the GOAT. 

Im as big of a fan of Peyton as anyone, however, I would be lying if I said I wasnt scared out of my mind when the Colts had the ball at the end of the game or late in the 4th quarter in the playoffs. Even when the defense needed to make a stop to get the ball back in Peytons hand, i.e. Chargers vs Colts 2008 playoffs.

Now, I feel the feeling is completely different. We are the underdogs, we are no longer expected to achieve so much nor are we expected to overcome all deficits. Eventually, we will have those expectations, but not right now.

I feel completely confident when Luck as the ball in his hand late in the game, or the defense has to make the stop to get the ball back in Lucks hands. I dont know why I feel this way, I just do.

I'm not undermining the past. I loved the success, what I'm saying is that it seemed like every year was a repeat.

Plain & Simple,

So much youth with lots of talent. And a GM commited to not having the Highest Paid this and that.

Sound as the Pound and lots of depth, that is what excites me.

And NO this shouldn`t be OUR Year, but don`t ya believe OUR TEAM will be knocking on the Door soon, VERY SOON!

Grrrrr!

Smash Boom Bam! :Wooo:

I'm not undermining the past. I loved the success, what I'm saying is that it seemed like every year was a repeat.

I understand what you're saying.  Let's all face it, in the Manning era we expected to be in the playoffs.  But come playoffs, we didn't really know what to expect based on the previous years.

Last year, we didn't expect to win, much less get into the playoffs.

I'm totally on board with FanFTW's original post about being excited for the season in a completely different way than we have in the past.

The difference to me is that I see upper management concerned about defense and surrounding Luck with a talented team.  Not saying that the Polian years weren't filled with attempts at improving the team, I'm just more optimistic it will be successful with Grigson and co.  I see a team with potential for a dynasty rather than "just" 1 Super Bowl win and that's reason to be excited.  I think we all enjoyed the Peyton years and realize how fortunate we are to be fans of a team that had such a great QB running the show for so many years but that doesn't mean there's not reason to be more optimistic about the future than we were the last few years of the Manning era IMO. 

Just wanted to clarify. I am in no way downplaying, undermining, ridiculing, dissing or any other pertinent term on the previous regime. I loved and still track Peyton. Will always wish the best for him except when he plays us. I just wanted to try and express my excitement for the current team and situation and was contemplating why that was when looking back to all the success we had, why I wasn’t as excited as I am now.     

Just wanted to clarify. I am in no way downplaying, undermining, ridiculing, dissing or any other pertinent term on the previous regime. I loved and still track Peyton. Will always wish the best for him except when he plays us. I just wanted to try and express my excitement for the current team and situation and was contemplating why that was when looking back to all the success we had, why I wasn’t as excited as I am now.     

That's all I was trying to convey, too. I was trying to explain my difference in feeling. I apologize for hijacking your thread.

Well, and I'm not saying you don't have a good point.  Our expectations or hopes of the new era can only really be compared to our own history.  It makes no sense to say that we hope to win 2 superbowls because that will be better than what the Patriots have done in the past 10 years.  But the hope of the new era has the potential to be better than what we have already known.  Will it happen?  I dunno, and when Luck retires, we may look back and say were dumb for building our expectations so high.  I like to keep my expectations in check, but I can't help but be excited for what may be.  I mean com'on, it's human nature. Even you have to be excited.

I'm extremely excited. I like what the new regime is doing, and I'm looking forward to seeing it pay off. I definitely think Grigson's method of team building is preferable to Polian's method of team management, especially in the later years.

But I didn't expect the Manning teams to come up short in the playoffs. I didn't think they were so inherently flawed that they didn't have a chance to make deep runs. Even looking back, while the shortcomings are more obvious, most of the playoff losses came down to a couple of big plays that could have gone the other way. While Polian didn't do a good enough job of improve the offensive or defensive line, and so on, those teams were still doggone good. So I was excited at the start of every season, personally.

I'm sorry for derailing this thread. I just don't think my excitement at this point in time is a reflection of a sense of disappointment with the previous era. To me, they are entirely separate, and that's why I think Irsay's decision to nuke the whole operation was such a good one. He's really deserving of credit, because it's not easy to turn your back on a regime/era that was as successful and established as the Polian/Manning Colts. Of course, the injury, the 2-14 season, and Luck being available all helped, but it was still a big deal. And he took a lot of heat for it, and still does. Probably will forever. But it was still the right decision.

I'm extremely excited. I like what the new regime is doing, and I'm looking forward to seeing it pay off. I definitely think Grigson's method of team building is preferable to Polian's method of team management, especially in the later years.

But I didn't expect the Manning teams to come up short in the playoffs. I didn't think they were so inherently flawed that they didn't have a chance to make deep runs. Even looking back, while the shortcomings are more obvious, most of the playoff losses came down to a couple of big plays that could have gone the other way. While Polian didn't do a good enough job of improve the offensive or defensive line, and so on, those teams were still doggone good. So I was excited at the start of every season, personally.

I'm sorry for derailing this thread. I just don't think my excitement at this point in time is a reflection of a sense of disappointment with the previous era. To me, they are entirely separate, and that's why I think Irsay's decision to nuke the whole operation was such a good one. He's really deserving of credit, because it's not easy to turn your back on a regime/era that was as successful and established as the Polian/Manning Colts. Of course, the injury, the 2-14 season, and Luck being available all helped, but it was still a big deal. And he took a lot of heat for it, and still does. Probably will forever. But it was still the right decision.

I agree that Irsay is one of the best owners in football. Nah, Im kidding , he is the best owner in football. :thmup:

And I get it, we all miss the :goat:  But we all love the :coltslogo: