Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener Mild Sprained Knee

HtownColt

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a hard pre-season for him.  Fleener sounds like he's light outs in practice but the performance on the field thus far is lacking.  That makes me wonder if it's a little bit mental with him when the lights come on. 

As for the injury that doesn't help him any.  Hopefully he recovers by the time week one gets here.  If Fleener can just have some things go right for him on the football field I think the confidence will come and he's going to take off as a player. 

I wouldn't worry about his scraps and nicks... It's his drops and overall timidness that have me worried. Like someone said, he's not having a good preseason so far. Hopefully he shakes it off by week 1

I always hate to say "...if we had this guy..." things would be different.  But when Allen is playing, it's a different perspective for Fleener.

You're right though, he just doesn't seem to have his head in it.  

At this point he looks timid and unwilling to battle for the ball against smaller defenders.  Can't play in the NFL using finesse only.  I'm beginning to worry about his toughness and durability.

By dropping balls and not turning his head?

By dropping balls and not turning his head?

Timid because he ran through the middle and was not aware of where the ball was.  He's a receiver. 

Unwilling to battle is more for his lack of presence.  He doesn't make the defenders think twice about hacking at the ball.  Dwayne Allen has that presence.

The toughness and durability is because he has been hury two games in a row after having missed games last year due to injuries.

So no, not just for dropping balls and failing to turn his head.

From rotoworld

Coby Fleener exited Sunday night's preseason game with a "mild knee sprain," the Colts announced.

Injury to insult. For the second straight preseason game, Fleener struggled mightily before the departure, this time failing to reel in any passes, dropping one over the middle, and not even seeing a Matt Hasselbeck throw intended for him down the seam. In the preseason opener, Fleener lost a fumble and dropped a touchdown. He seems to get jittery and lose his focus on traffic, shying from contact. Fleener can't be trusted as a back-end TE1 pick.

From rotoworld

Coby Fleener exited Sunday night's preseason game with a "mild knee sprain," the Colts announced.

Injury to insult. For the second straight preseason game, Fleener struggled mightily before the departure, this time failing to reel in any passes, dropping one over the middle, and not even seeing a Matt Hasselbeck throw intended for him down the seam. In the preseason opener, Fleener lost a fumble and dropped a touchdown. He seems to get jittery and lose his focus on traffic, shying from contact. Fleener can't be trusted as a back-end TE1 pick.

better not let some see that this guy said Fleener "dropped" a touchdown last week or they will go nuts of them...

Timid because he ran through the middle and was not aware of where the ball was.  He's a receiver. 

Unwilling to battle is more for his lack of presence.  He doesn't make the defenders think twice about hacking at the ball.  Dwayne Allen has that presence.

The toughness and durability is because he has been hury two games in a row after having missed games last year due to injuries.

We are all just enamored with size but forget the heart. Steve Smith of the Panthers would not have lasted if he did not have the tenacity to fight despite his size limitations.

Fleener has been blessed with enormous physical talents, I hope his durability and toughness get to the same level. I want him to succeed badly as a Colt but at the same time am not willing to make excuses for him based on all I have seen from him.

Availability and reliability, that is all I want now and he has enough ways to go on that.

Timid because he ran through the middle and was not aware of where the ball was. He's a receiver.

Unwilling to battle is more for his lack of presence. He doesn't make the defenders think twice about hacking at the ball. Dwayne Allen has that presence.

So,he is timid because he was stupid and didn't turn around for the ball? I've seen that many times in the nfl. Dumb, but it happens.

Defenders hack at the ball on anyone. I guarantee you the did to Adrian Peterson early in his career...and it wasn't because AD lacked toughness.

He didn't miss this game and he knee sprain sounds fairly minor. By your standards Gronk is a total wuss bag.

Durability I'll buy as a bit of a concern.  Toughness I don't think any fan can truly judge or not judge because we have no way of knowing what's going on inside his head. 

I will say not knowing what's going on on a play does not make one timid.  if that was the case you could say Luck was timid last week when he messed up the snap count and I don't think anyone would say Luck is timid.  I think Fleener got confused on the play.  It's something to be concerned about but it doesn't make him timid. 

We are all just enamored with size but forget the heart. Steve Smith of the Panthers would not have lasted if he did not have the tenacity to fight despite his size limitations.

Fleener has been blessed with enormous physical talents, I hope his durability and toughness get to the same level. I want him to succeed badly as a Colt but at the same time am not willing to make excuses for him based on all I have seen from him.

Availability and reliability, that is all I want now and he has enough ways to go on that.

Maybe Fleener's problem is that he really is fragile and he is trying to avoid contact to stay on the field...if so, it is tough to play the TE position in the NFL.

better not let some see that this guy said Fleener "dropped" a touchdown last week or they will go nuts of them...

:stir:

Way to act like a grown up. ;)

I do agree with GoColts though in that I think once Fleener is able to make a couple of big plays, he will settle in and his confidence will go way up.  Hopefully that happens soon because he can be a huge weapon if he gets his head really into it.  At first I thought the drop was tiped away but in the replay it was clear that no defender touched the ball so therefore THIS one WAS a drop. :P lol      

However, I do recall thinking several times that he did a good job blocking.  

So,he is timid because he was stupid and didn't turn around for the ball? I've seen that many times in the nfl. Dumb, but it happens.

Defenders hack at the ball on anyone. I guarantee you the did to Adrian Peterson early in his career...and it wasn't because AD lacked toughness.

He didn't miss this game and he knee sprain sounds fairly minor. By your standards Gronk is a total wuss bag.

I hope Coby appreciates how many excuses you make for him. 

He went to Stanford,  He is neither stupid or dumb. 

I wouldn't call anyone in the NFL a total wuss bag.

Time will tell with Fleener.  Personally I have seen enough to be concerned.

He went to Stanford,  He is neither stupid or dumb. 

I wouldn't call anyone in the NFL a total wuss bag.

Time will tell with Fleener.  Personally I have seen enough to be concerned.

It's fair to be concerned, I will admit he has played like turd balls this preseason.

He did not know where the ball was because he never looked.  As soon as he was open 3 yards 4,5 and 6 he was open the whole time he never looked because he was looking at defenders who could possibly hit him.

I like Fleener but he is playing scared.

I think we're being a bit harsh on him for essentially 3 drops. Hopefully he has his issues sorted our by week 1 though. After that there is no excuse.

It goes back to last year though, drops and him playing scared were problems all year last year. Nothing we have seen so far this preseason indicates anything has changed.

He did not know where the ball was because he never looked.  As soon as he was open 3 yards 4,5 and 6 he was open the whole time he never looked because he was looking at defenders who could possibly hit him.

I like Fleener but he is playing scared.

Possible, but I can't get in his head, so in not going to throw poop at the wall.

It goes back to last year though, drops and him playing scared were problems all year last year. Nothing we have seen so far this preseason indicates anything has changed.

Did he have a lot of those last year? I honestly can't remember. 

But like I said, if he can't sort his problems out by week 1, there are no excuses left.