Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Signings

atapcl

.  per colts.com

Adams, 5-10, 175 pounds, was originally signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent on May 10, 2013 before being waived on August 2. While at Michigan State, he started 39-of-54 career games, finishing with 157 tackles, 35 passes defensed and 11 interceptions. As a senior in 2012, Adams earned First Team All-Big Ten honors by the league’s coaches after starting 12 games, collecting 35 tackles and tying for the team-high with 10 passes defensed and three interceptions.

Johnny Adams Analysis  5'10 185 lbs

Strengths

Wiry-tough corner who plays bigger than he measures. Long arms for his frame. Shows foot work at the line to stick with head fakes and hesitation moves. Creates contact to stay with his man down the sideline. Has excellent ball skills and concentration. Comes off his man to play the ball, snatching passes away from his frame, tracks the ball over his shoulder. Aware defender, comes off his man, or the first read in zone, to make plays. Also undercuts receivers on short passes to step in front. Transitions forward from pedal to corral receivers after the catch and avoid their blocks. Plays a lot of snaps in the slot, and is a regular blitzer because he is a solid tackler and can pack a punch. Incredibly effective tackler in the run game. Seeks the ball carrier and looks to invite contact. Attacks the edge on plays coming his way and regularly sticks his nose between the tackles when uncovered. Gives effort, has a bit of a burst to make tackles.

Weaknesses

Possesses only average height and very thin in the lower half. Often in press-bail or playing off, must prove he can ride a man off his route in press. Doesn't have extensive experience backpedaling and is not particularly low or smooth while changing directions. Takes extra steps when cutting and lacks recovery speed. Larger receivers get inside position, separate from him coming out of their cuts and can win jump balls over the top. Also gets stiff-armed and bulled in the open field by stronger ballcarriers due to his relative lack of size and strength. Has trouble disengaging from better receiver and tight end blocks in the run game and beating running backs in pass protection as a blitzer.

NFL Comparison

Jabari Greer

Just a shame Hickman got injured or he would have stuck at least through first cuts

He had been playing extremely well in camp....I think he would have made the 53....he could play inside or outside.  I agree...it is a shame he got hurt...2 years in a row injured.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised Hickman was cut. What was the problem with putting him on IR and bringing him back next year??

I guess the staff didn't think he had much of a future..... not sure how else to read this.....

2nd year straight being on IR. I think Grigson has made it clear these IR guys won't be around in this new era. Yes, it's unfortunate that these things happen but at the end of the day the NFL is a business. I'm sure if Ben Ijalana makes it on the IR again this year he'll be gone too

Honestly,  I'm a little surprised Hickman was cut.     What was the problem with putting him on IR and bringing him back next year??

I guess the staff didn't think he had much of a future.....   not sure how else to read this.....

I believe they have to clear waivers before they can be placed on IR.

Honestly,  I'm a little surprised Hickman was cut.     What was the problem with putting him on IR and bringing him back next year??

I guess the staff didn't think he had much of a future.....   not sure how else to read this.....

I think you are right... I had Hickman making the roster before the injury, but I guess I was wrong..

As long as this Johnny Apple seed guy can cover better than Price & Green did I'm fine with it

agreed... Price looked horrible and I was hoping that it didn't get overlooked because of his fumble recovery... It didn't even look like a fumble to me, or any of the players on the field..

Green has even less of an excuse for being awful because he's had more time in the system... Right now, we are one injury away from starting Vaughn and that is not good for anybody, other than Matt Flynn, or whoever plays QB for the Raiders week 1...

I really like Butler, but I don't think that the coaches would make him the 1 or 2 in case of injury.. they like him where he's at...

Our starters at corner should be much improved over last year, but depth is still a major concern... probably the 2nd biggest ? behind the O-Line..

agreed... Price looked horrible and I was hoping that it didn't get overlooked because of his fumble recovery... It didn't even look like a fumble to me, or any of the players on the field..

Green has even less of an excuse for being awful because he's had more time in the system... Right now, we are one injury away from starting Vaughn and that is not good for anybody, other than Matt Flynn, or whoever plays QB for the Raiders week 1...

I really like Butler, but I don't think that the coaches would make him the 1 or 2 in case of injury.. they like him where he's at...

Our starters at corner should be much improved over last year, but depth is still a major concern... probably the 2nd biggest ? behind the O-Line..

They do like Butler where he is. Butler is not a good tackler against running plays but he probably has the best ball skills defending the pass. Nickle is where he contributes the bestl

I wonder if Grigs is beating the bushes for a TE or if we are going to make do with what we have.

It must be really thin out there, I thought he would have brought a camp body in by now. 

I won't be surprised if Saunders is back on the team for the Houston game.